Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Withnail posted:

A friend of mine just bought this. I'm extremely jealous.

Ah man, that is tits. Pop top stuff seems like the perfect happy medium between having to camp in something that's too small, or having to make a god drat RV your daily driver. I've been lusting over one of the converted pop-top 80s Toyota Vans for years, but they're so god drat hard to find for a reasonable price, and god help you if you ever need parts for them these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Sorry: double post.

So I have a 4x8 harbor freight utility trailer, and I want it to be all it can be, and also I'm sick of camping in the back of my Prius because my girlfriend gets claustrophobic.

But I also have to sometimes use it to haul this to the desert:

Or my motorcycle, or a couch or loving whatever.

so like, I want to make it into some kind of stupid teardrop/toyhauler, but it still needs to be light enough that my Prius can continue to tow it without auto-summoning someone from Toyota to hunt me down and shoot me in the face for being an idiot.

Also, I have not a lot of money, but a lot of free time (am actor), and a lot of friends with welding equipment, and a city where people give away building materials on Craigslist all the time.

So on a scale of sort of stupid to Real Stupid, how realistic is my Groverdrop aspiration?

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

jonathan posted:

Is that really your scooter because if so I'll pay you to be my friend and you can give up your dream of being a dumb gay actor

I can do both, and yeah I built that with a friend over a couple of weekends for Wasteland Weekend, because I really wanted to be a Waterworld enthusiast in the desert.

Zero VGS posted:

If you want crazy-light and cheap, just get plywood for the floor, carpet over that, and for the walls/ceiling get a few 4x8 sheets of Coroplast: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplast-48-in-x-96-in-x-0-157-in-White-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheet-CP4896S/205351385

It won't support a load on the roof but done correctly it'll put up with any crosswinds, and it's 100% weatherproof.

This guy made one so light that he tows it with his bicycle: http://www.businessinsider.com/paul...ost-under-150-2

Edit: This is a more pro-looking one with wood and sheet metal, but much heavier: https://imgur.com/a/6Neck

Edit 2: I know you said you have the 4x8 Harbor Freight special, it is perfectly good, but if you have money to spare, this aluminum trailer is a foot wider and more than 50lbs lighter: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660344_200660344

Yeah, coroplast is definitely one of the more promising materials for this project. I'm gonna stick with the trailer I have because buying a second trailer seems kind of insane, and also straight LOL @ paying another 400 dollars to save 50 pounds.

cakesmith handyman posted:

There's a growing trend to build what are called "foamies", teardrops built with extruded polystyrene walls skinned with fabric, attached with wood glue and painted over with exterior latex. Embed wood inserts in the foam before skinning and you've got hard attachment points. I'd go that route as people have built 4x8s that are so trivially light you can easily unbolt and dismount the body from the frame with 2 minutes work.

E: all the info here: http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of research into doing a foamie, and that might be the way to go, if those materials fall into my lap sooner than the others.

I think my major concern is having it be tall enough to fit my scooter, but short enough that it won't kill my Prius trying to tow it on the freeway. I'm considering a clever folding design so it breaks down into a smallish package that fits in the Prius's airstream.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

wolrah posted:

Do you need it to be a camper and haul the scooter at the same time? If not, you may have missed this line:

Oh, I def want to have both at the same time, because usually when I'm hauling the scoot/jetskeeter/adv bike, I'm also going camping. Also because it makes it a much more interesting engineering challenge.

quote:

Basically you end up with what amounts to a camper shell for a utility trailer.

I've been looking in to doing one of these for basically the same reason, wanting something better than a tent that I can still tow behind a Fiesta, and then as a side benefit having a utility trailer I can use to not have to rent trucks as often.

Sup, hilariously underpowered buddy! We should collaborate on a teardrop thread, then!

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 28, 2017

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Zero VGS posted:

One other thing, situate the blunt wall of the teardrop as close as you possibly can to the rear of the Prius and still be able to maneuver; it apparently makes a significant difference on drag:

You can also use coroplast or corrugated polycarbonate (you can get that at Home Depot, it's used for greenhouses, and is transparent as opposed to coroplast) to make a kammback for the rear of the Prius to help close the gap.

If you used 3M VHB tape with the proper primer and a lot of surface area, it'd practically weld the coroplast to the car, and it'd put up with highway speeds, though you might want to rivet on a couple eyelets and tie it with Dyneema line just to make sure it doesn't fly off and hit someone.

You are for sure my kind of efficiency nerd. Yeah, I'm def keeping a close eye on aerodynamics, and I have one possible design that folds down to a package that continues the Prius's lines, so it should fit in the airstream pretty well.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Teardrop project commences!

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Astonishing Wang posted:

Is that built onto the harbor freight folding 4x8? I'm about to buy one just to use as a trailer behind my wrangler - what do you think of it?

We're actually building it freestanding but able to bolt to the ol HF when it's not in the back of the truck. The HF is cheap and decent, but when I have time I'm gonna weld all the joints because I poo poo you not there's like 40 lbs of crap Chinese bolts holding that thing together. Also def pack some good grease into those bearings asap.

Edit: gonna start a thread when I can, got that fucker skinned w sheet aluminum and the floor in already.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Update on my teardrop:

Welded the whole frame from 1" and .5" square stock, got it bolted down to the harbor freight trailer, mounted some tiedown anchors so I can fit my street-legal jetski inside, and I'm ready to skin it with whatever I can get my hands on for free.

I'm gonna skin it for reals later, but it's for Wasteland Weekend in a few weeks, so I'm doing it post apocalyptic style out of whatever scrap I can find, so it'll be the homeliest little shack ever for now--I'm anticipating maybe just skinning it with cardboard on site for maximum thrown-together hobo shack style.

Already got a slightly cut-down futon mattress that fits perfectly inside, and so far it's still light enough to deadlift, which should suit my Prius towing vehicle just fine.

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 14, 2017

• Locked thread