Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

some texas redneck posted:

XBMC is a pain in the rear end to get working perfectly (just for local media, not even gonna go into streaming), but it's really powerful.

Huh? If by "pain in the rear end" you mean "Pick the add source option, browse to your media folder(s), and tell it what kind of media the folder you're adding contains" then sure. I have a complicated setup with MySQL media libraries and PseudoTV yet it still takes me about five minutes to go from a fresh install to ready to watch TV. As long as your media folders aren't a clusterfuck of disorganization and scene names you're fine, and if it is nothing will be easy.

Chromecast and Roku are pretty much literally plug-and-play, but they trade convenience for capabilities. XBMC I agree streaming is awkward at best for most sources, but as far as local media is concerned there's nothing better.

edit: vvv Digital TV still uses the same frequencies (mostly, a few were removed from TV allocation to be given to mobile service or FM radio), so the same amp should work fine.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bandman posted:

but I'd have to swap on 16" wheels and tires and swap in a 4.10 or 4.30 rear end to make up for the taller tire

You don't need to run a taller tire to run larger wheels, you just have less sidewall. That can lead to a harsher ride, but if you're currently on 15" wheels on a truck/SUV of any kind you have plenty of sidewall to spare and it'll probably handle a little bit better.

Tire Rack says 4Runner 15" tires are 225/75R15, so 225/70R16s would be 0.86% larger, or so little difference that at 70 MPH indicated (assuming the speedometer was perfect with the 15s) you'd be really going 70.6 MPH.

If you wanted to go up to 17" wheels 225/65R17s would be 1.72% larger, so the same 70 MPH indicated would be 71.2 MPH.

Since most non-German passenger vehicles I've driven seem to have the speedometer calibrated to read high I'd be willing to bet that you'd still be within the OEM margin of error with either of those.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The biggest problem I've ever heard of with the Class Bs is that anything that actually fits to the van body is likely only for that model, where most boxy RVs use the same components as any other RV. Those parts of course will be $$$$$ compared to everything else.

Other than that the shower/shitter is obviously not going to be a great experience but the rest is pretty much the same as a small C.

My grandparents had one for a while based on a Dodge chassis (a massive downgrade from their previous Prevost conversion) and they seemed to like it overall since it could be used as a second vehicle without much trouble.

The newer ones based on Sprinters and presumably soon Transits are supposedly pretty awesome and due to the flat sides will likely not have the custom part problem nearly as badly.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The Ringbrothers picked up an old Brave and did awesome things to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wap2wpjVHC0

Also linked off an article about that one I found this: http://www.hotrod.com/news/1505-craigslist-excellence-twin-turbo-440-dodge-apollo-rv/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Chopsy posted:

I think my major concern is having it be tall enough to fit my scooter, but short enough that it won't kill my Prius trying to tow it on the freeway. I'm considering a clever folding design so it breaks down into a smallish package that fits in the Prius's airstream.
Do you need it to be a camper and haul the scooter at the same time? If not, you may have missed this line:

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd go that route as people have built 4x8s that are so trivially light you can easily unbolt and dismount the body from the frame with 2 minutes work.

Basically you end up with what amounts to a camper shell for a utility trailer.

I've been looking in to doing one of these for basically the same reason, wanting something better than a tent that I can still tow behind a Fiesta, and then as a side benefit having a utility trailer I can use to not have to rent trucks as often.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 28, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Chopsy posted:

Oh, I def want to have both at the same time, because usually when I'm hauling the scoot/jetskeeter/adv bike, I'm also going camping. Also because it makes it a much more interesting engineering challenge.
Ah, then yeah if you're looking to use the trailer you already have it'll certainly be a fun challenge. I'd probably just be lazy and get a larger trailer so I could leave some of the utility deck open if I had the same goal.

quote:

Sup, hilariously underpowered buddy! We should collaborate on a teardrop thread, then!
Haha, I actually have plenty of power (ST model) but I figure with no official tow rating that lighter is better.

I won't likely be doing anything along these lines for another year or so, but count me as another that'd be interested in a project thread that could maybe morph in to a general teardrop thread over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Ford has offered OEM trailer brake controllers for a while, I don't recall if they were doing that by 2007 but if so that's probably a good bet. My Dad seems to like his '14 with the 5.0, but he's only pulling a midsize Airstream which I'm pretty sure is on the lighter end of the spectrum.

Do the 3V 5.4s still like to eject their spark plugs?

• Locked thread