Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jonny 290 posted:

Turns out that the LED option is way cheaper than I thought. _Every_ interior bulb in this thing is a standard 18W 1141 bulb, and I found a stateside source for these little LED panels that just have a pigtail that plugs in, and double stick tape on the back. So far I've bought ten and am totally happy, and will buy some more. 10 for $17.99 shipped and here in three days.

The cheaper panels (read: 99% of them) get really damned hot, and since LEDs don't like heat a whole lot, they tend to burn out kinda easy.

That said, if it's a light you can dim, or don't use for an hour at a time (or it at least isn't a sealed fixture), go for the cheap panels. They usually don't burn out all at once; the one I have in my car (to replace the stock dome light bulb) has five LEDs (out of maybe 40) out after a year of abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Roku3 will be ready to go out of the box, just download the applets you want. If you have a media PC anywhere in there, you can also set up Plex on it and stream local content (I have RARPlex on my Roku, and Plex on my main PC)

The NUC will be a lot more configurable (and usable as a daily PC if you get one with a decent CPU), but Microsoft has pretty much EOL'd Windows Media Center (you can still buy it as a :10bux: add-on for Win8 Pro.. not Home, oddly - it shipps with Win7 Home if you have a license already - either way, they're not updating it anymore). XBMC is a pain in the rear end to get working perfectly (just for local media, not even gonna go into streaming), but it's really powerful. There's Linux flavors as well as x86/x64.

Also, even the current gen Roku1 (what I have) is pretty drat good, though the 3 adds a headphone jack on the remote.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How is your typical :btroll: American supposed to fit through THAT?

:v:

Should be a fun project though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

My dad just picked this up at auction for $4000. 94 pace arrow 33 footer.

"Jealous" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this. Aside from the headlamp housings, it looks loving mint.

Out of curiousity, since it's a Chevy gasser, what transmission do they put in those? A built 700R4? Something more like an Allison? I can't see your standard van chassis transmission holding up to that weight for more than a month. For that matter, is it even EFI, or carb?

(total RV noobie here)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 13, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeah, other than the TH475 which is nothing more than a TH400 with a straight cut gearset for first, or so I've been told, it's pretty much the same engine/tranny/steeringwheel combo as a C3500+ of the same era.

Crazy isn't it?

That's honestly pretty shocking. So no real differences in the transmission, aside from the TH475 difference? I'd at least hope it got a massive tranny cooler.

The TBI isn't that surprising, GM was still doing TBI well into the late 90s/early 00s on trucks, depending on engine.

cynic posted:

As an aside, the Tiguan is one of the best tow cars I've ever driven engine-wise; the TDI just doesn't give a poo poo you've got an additional ton and a half on the back of you, and even the MPG barely changes.

Because TDI.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I always loved those goofy Toyota vans, though the ones sold in the US had a much uglier front clip

The principal of my high school owned one, and it often got drafted into duty for field trips when their 18 passenger Dodge van wasn't enough (it was a tiny school...)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Because you pasted the imgur page link instead of the image link.

Add an "i." before imgur.com, and "l.jpg" (lowercase L) at the end. the "l" resizes it to 640 pixels on the long edge (l for large thumbnail). Or if you're using timg instead of img, you can leave the "l" off, but then it forces the viewer's browser to resize it (which murders phone reading since it takes a bit longer to load and uses a lot more bandwidth).

What you posted:

code:
[timg]http://imgur.com/2jrILPn[/timg]
What you should have posted:

code:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/2jrILPn.jpg[/timg]
Or if you want to be nice and not force everyone to download the giant picture then have their browser resize it:

code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/2jrILPnl.jpg[/img]
If you want to get fancy, you can post the smaller pic with a link to the full size one like this:

code:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/2jrILPn.jpg][img]http://i.imgur.com/2jrILPnl.jpg[/img][/url]
Here's your pic using the second example:

And the third example, which gives you a link to the full size version:

More on imgur links here

tl;dr add i. before imgur.com and l.jpg at the end for most forum posts.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 13, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Since I've never been in a van-based camper/RV - is the extra roof space open? Or is it kinda like an attic? Or... both.

I'm guessing the front part is like an attic bed, while the rest is open for extra headroom?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

we sold it to a homeless family for $1 currently living in a popup camper.

That was a really awesome thing to do.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Welp, friend's camper got jacked today, while in storage.

Apparently whoever stole it went far enough to remove the gate to the storage lot, and cut off his hitch lock. For a base K-Z Escape... I would guess there's other property missing from the storage place too, that seems like a lot of work to go after a relatively affordable camper. This wasn't a storage lot in BFE either, it's a Public Storage in suburbia.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 15, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's only been 2 or 3 weeks since they last used it, and they had a lot of stuff inside (hand made stuff that they sell at festivals). I don't know if they even had a TV in it to be honest, and the stuff they sell has a pretty niche market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fryhtaning posted:

Welp time to buy a Lo Jack or whatever the equivalent is these days.

I'm guessing no cameras or alarms at that lot then? Our storage lot has cameras all around the perimeter and a unique code for each user that gets logged when used, and an alarm system that activates if any of the perimeter is breached. They've never had any outright thefts thankfully, just the occasional lowlife that tries to break in and steal camper contents.

The cameras were "broken".

They have the same code setup, but I'm not sure that the alarm monitors the drive-through gates; it didn't when I had a storage unit with the same company, and that type of gate is pretty difficult to tie into an alarm without risking tons of false alarms. In this case, they physically removed the gate, supposedly (I'm guessing they just cut the chain and shoved it open instead of removing it).

Also this company made (local) headlines when a poo poo ton of stuff got stolen last year from one location... and they didn't have cameras outside at all at the time. Friend hasn't told me which location it was, but I'm betting it was either this location or one nearby (there's only so many in that city).

• Locked thread