Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

MySims, huh?

Yep. The MySims franchise was one of EA's attempts to capitalize on the then-new Nintendo Wii and DS platforms and the babies and casual gamers who owned them. Mostly the babies. What these babies wanted, EA decided, was a squeaky-clean simple-shapes spinoff of The Sims--a concept which rapidly expanded into a series of games covering nearly every non-violent game genre that EA could think of. These games were probably supposed to be shovelware, but, as it turns out, no one told the developers that. As kiddie titles go, the MySims games can be surprisingly good.

MySims Kingdom is the second title in the series, an unholy combination of the original MySims and an old-school fantasy RPG. Imagine an RPG that's all sidequests and no combat, and you're about halfway there. Seriously, we have a silent protagonist and everything. While it's not the strongest MySims game--it feels like a halfway point on the design journey between the games being simplified Sims spinoffs for children and being their own weird things with actual plot--Kingdom has its share of the snappy writing and utter silliness that are a hallmark of the series. Also, if you've ever played a MySims game before (or if you followed my LP of MySims Agents) you'll be seeing a lot of familiar faces here. All the games in the series draw from the same large cast of block-headed mascots, blithely recasting them as necessary.

Kingdom was released in 2008 for both the Wii and the DS, although the two games were significantly different versions of the 'fantasy kingdom' theme. We'll be playing the Wii game, which garnered enough attention at the time to be nominated for some IGN award or something. It was in direct competition with Animal Crossing: Wild World, though, which (rightfully) stomped Kingdom flat. Like most Wii games of the period it suffers from an awkward control scheme--but that's my problem, not yours.

So what will we do in this LP?

We're going to save this broken-down old kingdom from rot and decay, that's what we're going to do! We'll repair old stuff! We'll build new stuff! We'll paint all the stuff! Then we'll decorate that stuff! We'll be fishing and mining and planting and herding and acting and oh my gosh we will do a lot of things. There are a lot of Sims out there and they all need the help of the Royal Wandolier--but, unfortunately for them, they're going to get the Assistant Pig-Boy instead.

We'll also be playing a lot of dress-up. Fantasy dress-up. Nothing wrong with that.

This will be a lightly-narrative screenshot LP with bursts of italics to denote stuff I made up. Updates should drop every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and I'm usually pretty good about letting the thread know if the LP is going on hiatus. There will be stuff to vote on later, too!

:siren: Please keep any spoilers behind spoiler tags. Also, don't be creepy. :siren:

Ep. 1: The Assistant Pig-Boy
Ep. 2: L'enfer, C'est Les Autres
Ep. 3: A Pig-Boy's Tasks Are Never Done
Ep. 4: Sadly, Our Princess Is In THIS Castle
Ep. 5: How To Wand Friends And Influence Mana
Ep. 6: Blah Blah Blah Tutorial Blah
Ep. 7: Hooray, We Win A Lifetime Of Toil In The King's Service
Ep. 8: Wizard Attack
Ep. 9: The Pick-Up Artist
Ep. 10: Up, Up, And Not Away
Ep. 11: Mine, Mine, It's All Mine
Ep. 12: Harboring Fugitives
Ep. 13: Ground Bacon And Bee Pictures
Ep. 14: One Weird Old Pigeon (Discovered By A King)
- Wrap-Up: Capital Island
Ep. 15: Technical Difficulties: Please Bear With Us
Ep. 16: The Matrix Has Them
Ep. 17: Fishing For A Good Fishing Pun To Use In This Title
Ep. 18: Exit, Pursued By A Bear
Ep. 19: The Fabulous Ms. Prissykins
Ep. 20: Some Pig
- Wrap-Up: Renee's Nature Preserve
Ep. 21: Varmint Bacon
Ep. 22: Who Was That Masked Man?
Ep. 23: It Is A Beverly Hills Cop Joke
Ep. 24: Yes, We Have No Tomatoes
Ep. 25: Hyaa!
Ep. 26: Rank Up!
Ep. 27: Burning His Bridges Behind Him
Ep. 28: The Mild West
Ep. 29: Head 'Em Up, Move 'Em On
Ep. 30: I Played With The Law (And The Law Won)
Ep. 31: How To Win Friends And Influence Varmints
Ep. 32: Scrollin' Scrollin' Scrollin'
Ep. 33: Home On The Range
- Wrap-Up: Cowboy Junction
Ep. 34: The 'F' Stands For OH CRAP DUCK
Ep. 35: Rocketry
Ep. 36: OMG Legs
Ep. 37: D.E.S.T.I.N.Y.
Ep. 38: You Spin Me Right Round Baby
Ep. 39: SO GOOD AT SCIENCE!
Ep. 40: I Sing The Body Electric
Ep. 41: Not To Praise Him
Ep. 42: Big Goddamn Hero
Ep. 43: Dine And Dash
Ep. 44: Ground Control To Major Tom
- Wrap-Up: Rocket Reef
Ep. 45: Bait And Switch
Ep. 46: Behind The 8-Ball
Ep. 47: Break It Down: Level Up!
Ep. 48: Candypalooza Power & Light
Ep. 49: Too Crabby To Dance
- Wrap-Up: Candypalooza
Ep. 50: Elves, Schmelves
Ep. 51: Frog Berries
Ep. 52: One Froggy Evening
Ep. 53: All Creatures Great And Small
Ep. 54: We Will Rock You
- Wrap-Up: The Forest Of The Elves
Ep. 55: This Side Of Paradise
Ep. 56: Trouble In Paradise
Ep. 57: Cheeseburger In Paradise
Ep. 58: Paradise Lost
Ep. 59: Paradise Regained
- Wrap-Up: Cutopia
Ep. 60: 2Spoopy4U
Ep. 61: The Biting Of Faces
Ep. 62: It Was A Graveyard Smash
Ep. 63: Horror Of Horrors
Ep. 64: Adhering To Spookane's Zoning Laws
Ep. 65: Morcubusted
- Wrap-Up: Spookane
- Second Time Around: Capital Island, Part 1
- Second Time Around: Capital Island, Part 2
- Second Time Around: Renee's Nature Preserve/Cowboy Junction, Part 1
- Second Time Around: Cowboy Junction, Part 2
- Second Time Around: Cowboy Junction, Part 3
Ep. 66: Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Must Die
Ep. 67: Acting!!
Ep. 68: What, And Leave Show Business?
Ep. 69: Extended Chase Sequence
Ep. 70: Show, Don't Tell
- Wrap-Up: Trevor Island
- Second Time Around: Rocket Reef, Part 1
- Second Time Around: Rocket Reef, Part 2
- Second Time Around: Candypalooza
- Second Time Around: The Forest Of The Elves, Part 1
- Second Time Around: The Forest Of The Elves, Part 2
Ep. 71: She's Got No Class
Ep. 72: Another Kind Of Gritty Realism
Ep. 73: A Game Of Telephone
Ep. 74: Welcome To The Friendzone, Population: Well, Everyone, Really
Ep. 75: Extremely No
Ep. 76: Dorm Life
Ep. 77: Cyrano de Bergerac
Ep. 78: So Cute I May Barf
Ep. 79: So Cute I May Barf (Endless Summer Remix)
- Wrap-Up: The Royal Academy
- Second Time Around: Cutopia, Part 1
- Second Time Around: Cutopia, Part 2
- Second Time Around: Spookane, Part 1
- Second Time Around: Spookane, Part 2
- Second Time Around: Trevor Island
Ep. 80: Nothing Is Wrong Here, Citizen, Please Move Along
Ep. 81: Lyndsay Has Learned Nothing From History
Ep. 82: A Shocking Lack Of Regard For Pretty Much Everything
- Wrap-Up: The Uncharted Isle
- Second Time Around: The Royal Academy, Girls' Side
- Second Time Around: The Royal Academy, Boys' Side
- Second Time Around: The Uncharted Isle
Ep. 83: A Magical Land Of No Responsibility

Picayune fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

- Box art, front and back
- Opening Movie (Polsy'd)
- Closing Credits (Polsy'd)

Possessed Halloween Sam, from SystemLogoff! Check out the extra-possessed thumbnail:

Eeek!

ultrafilter points out that Morcubus' frilly cuffs and white gloves make him look like he's flipping the bird with both hands; CapitanGarlic does the necessary with style and panache.

Click here for the full 702x1600 image
Captain Fargle makes a sweet prediction as to how the game will end, and may not be too far off the mark!

Picayune fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 27, 2015

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 1: The Assistant Pig-Boy

:siren: The adorable opening movie, Polsy-fied to protect against spoilers!
Oh, hey, that music sounds familiar. Anyway, if you watched that--and you probably should--you've now seen a highlight reel of the whole game and should have a pretty good idea of how things are going to go. I... guess that means you can stop reading now?

Let's get started.

: This kingdom was made up of many different lands...

Some of them more different than others.

: They used their power to protect the kingdom and keep the Sims of the world happy.

I'm not sure how one 'moves away' when Roland's kingdom covers the entire world, but I guess we can't use the word 'died' around impressionable eight-year-olds.

: Who will it be? Where will they come from? And what will they look like?

A good set of questions, which promptly dumps us into Create-A-Sim! After Our Hero has been created:

Can't imagine. Anyway, it's time for our opening pan across Capital Island!

Hey, this is a pretty nice kingdom. Very green. Nice rocks.

The camera pans over to the castle, oooh, which appears to be inhabited by a serene pink-haired princess--

--oooor not.

As the frustrated princess stomps out of the castle, the camera rolls on, coming to rest on... the King's Royal Messenger, gods help us all.

He and his messenger pigeon appear to have similar tastes in red caps.

The Royal Messenger reads the scroll and cheers happily as the camera rolls on once more.

We come at last to a humble pig-herder's hut, and the humble pig-herder herself--with what are presumably a couple of humble pigs--

--and her extremely humble assistant, Sam, the Assistant Pig-Boy.

It should go without saying that his life is hell.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: He's a humble pig-boy--of course he has a Great Destiny!

---

- Capital Island
Wanna see that pan in full motion? Here you go!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Glad to be back! Let's power through some tutorial.

Ep. 2: L'enfer, C'est Les Autres

Last time, we discovered that Sam's life is terrible. Look at that, he can't even afford shoes. Barefoot in pig doings!

And we finally have control! Oh, joy, a tutorial--wait.

Wait.

I can rotate the camera?!

Later games in the series--including Agents--did away with camera control entirely. I had completely forgotten that the early games still had cameras. That's because the original MySims and MySims Kingdom were both made using the Havok engine! That's right: this game is just like Dark Souls.

... anyway! We found Elmira.

Our reward is verbal abuse and another tutorial!

: To get a pig to follow you, just walk up right next to it.

Okay...

Aww, pet the piggie.

And now he's following us!

We get control again, yaaaay. Sam runs around, magnetizes pigs, and leads them to the mud--unfortunately that honking big tutorial box will not go away until we're done.

The present box over Elmira's head indicates that we've completed a quest that she gave us. Usually this means we have a reward waiting! However, this is the tutorial, and that's Elmira, so our reward is more abuse.

: Great. You actually managed to get both pigs.

Elmira chases Sam away from her precious pigs.

Having laid down the law, Elmira leaves. Sam watches her go--

Sam jumps a mile and then wheels around.

It's our old buddy, Buddy!

And some things never change.

: Hiya, Sam!

Buddy waves to the pigs.

: Hiya, pigs!

Sam nods. Silent protagonist!

: Yay! Remember, we promised to go meet Lyndsay! She's probably dreaming up another one of her adventures for us... and you know how she gets when we're late.

This makes Sam giggle, presumably because he does know how Lyndsay gets. But!

YIPES

... did you throw a bird at me

: Hello, peasants. I think we all know that I'M going to be named the new Wandolier.

: You are?!

: Of course, silly, I'm the princess! Daddy will just LET me win!

: I don't know, Sam here would make a GREAT Wandolier! I think he'll win for sure!

: Huh. Guess I'll see you at the castle, then! Toodles!

The evil Princess Butter points and laughs evilly at Sam, then evils off on her evil way.

Pause.

I imagine that being Buddy's friend always requires some patience.

: Don't worry, Sam! I'm sure you'll win!

FWOMP

... welp.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Whoops, Buddy dropped the invitations and now we don't have one. That was a short game!

---

- EA Render: Princess Butter
Okay, she's more 'spoiled rotten' than 'evil', but that sentence was complex enough already.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
The game pretty much fed me the Prydain and Earthsea references, yeah. I'll have to shoulder the blame for the Sartre.

Miniature Moose posted:

How is the DS version different from the Wii version? The only copy of it I have is on the Wii.

I never actually played the DS version of Kingdom, but a cursory Googling informs me that it's more minigame-based and takes place all on the same island in King Roland's land. Also, there's a villain named Dr. Nefario! That's... terrible!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Angela Christine posted:

The wands are secretly powered by the life force of the wandoliers. Brave heros willing to fritter away their vitality, even give their lives, to build bridges without anyone having to learn masonry.

:allears:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is that pig the new Wolfah?

This is a judgment we should probably wait to make, as Kingdom is stuffed chock-full of adorable cubical animals! Most of them do not have Wolfah's star power, I'm afraid.

For the record, Elmira's pigs are named Pigglez and Porkz.

Dragonatrix posted:

This is a really weird thing to pick up on, but I'm making my way through the Agents LP on the Archive and I love that Sam is voiced by Scott Menville. It just seems to fit so well there. Kind of a shame that it's not the case here on account of that "silent protagonist" thing.

Sam does actually have a voice actor, since he babbles in Simlish like any other Sim--and since I tried very hard to reproduce the original Sam as closely as possible, he almost certainly does have Scott Menville's voice again here. Sam doesn't speak in dialogue boxes like the other Sims, though, and in cutscenes he has the silent-protagonist act down pat.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 3: A Pig-Boy's Tasks Are Never Done

Having just tripped, fallen, and thrown his pile of royal invitations to the winds, Buddy picks himself back up and dusts himself off.

He then develops a severe case of Not-Actually-Plumbbob. A quest! Well, okay, a 'task'.

The little book in the upper right corner is our task book, which contains all kind of debatably-useful information. It will alert us to new tasks and completed tasks (as you can see). The blue shield next to it has no use just yet.

Anyway, let's talk to Buddy.

: Can you run around and find them all?

By popping open our task book, we can see the gory details of our current chivalric quest. There are eight invitations to find, and we have found zero. The bar on the bottom tells us how far along on a task we are: someone has a job for us; we have talked to them, accepted the job, and presumably started working on it; we have completed the job but not yet turned it in; we have spoken to the person, gotten our reward, and finished the job.

So, anyway, we run over here, and...

Ping!

Right, then. Let's ask Elmira if she's seen any invitations flying around.

I'll just take that as a 'no'.

Getting near the pigs kills them. Uh, I mean, it opens up some actions that Sam can perform. He can pet the pigs, which we've already seen.

Or he can choose to feed them!

Sam feeds the pig and it drops... some... organic matter... which just jumps right into Sam's inventory agh agh ew. The organic thing makes a magical 'plink' sound as it bounces into Sam's pocket. What did he feed that poor critter?

Eh, well, surely that'll never be important. We also nab the invitation which was sitting right there. Maybe Buddy's found a couple?

or maybe he's just been standing here and freaking out and we have to solve all his problems for him because we are the only competent person in the entire world and also we are not bitter at all

Ergh, fine. Yoink. Sam follows the trail of invitations to the castle, and...

Oh dear.

... ARGH GET OFF

Anyway, Princess Butter does eventually step off the invitation. Sam grabs it and goes to find the others, getting and acing a jumping tutorial along the way.

Finally we find the last invitation by the river! The day is saved, Buddy wishes to thank us, etc.

: You really saved me, Sam. That's why you're my best pal!

Just then!

Lyndsay runs over to join us.

: I made up today's adventure itinerary and everything. We were going to explore a hidden tomb!

: But Lyndsay, we don't know where any hidden tombs are.

: Well, yeah, Buddy, that's what makes them hidden.

that's right, live vicariously through me, everyone else does, that's why I'm the protagonist of a videogame

: How'd you hear? I just gave Sam his invitation.

Lyndsay scowls and faces Sam.

: I ran into that spoiled Princess Butter. Don't worry, Sam, we'll show her.

Lyndsay looks back at Buddy.

: When does the contest begin, Buddy?

: Well, let's see, I think it was...

Buddy thinks for a minute, then jumps.

: Right now, pal! We gotta get to the castle!

: Yikes! Buddy!!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: We hurry to the castle! For a certain definition of 'hurry'!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 4: Sadly, Our Princess Is In THIS Castle

Run, Sam! Run to the castle!

No, Sam! Don't stop to pet the pigs! What is wrong with you?

That's better.

We cut to the throne room, where King Roland is preparing to make a speech.

: On this great day, from your humble ranks, a champion shall emerge!!

King Roland pauses to look out over the humble ranks:

Long pause. Princess Butter eventually dusts some imaginary lint from her skirt.

: Umm... is this everybody? Is no one else coming?

: Um, no one important.

: Oh, too bad... I thought we might still have time for cupcakes.

Pause.

: Well, maybe just a quick one!

The king pats his belly, content.

: Now, let us begin!

Suddenly, a shout rings out!

Sam walks up to join the, er, vast ranks of the hopeful.

: Sam, are you here for the trials?

Hands on hips, Sam checks out his competition.

Pfft. Sam looks back at the king and nods, which is a total diss for a silent protagonist. The princess immediately gets all up in Sam's face.

: So, the pig herder came after all! I just assumed you'd give up!

: Well, now we should be ready to begin.

: Whoever wins today's trials will receive the royal scepter and be named the kingdom's new Wandolier.

: Also, whoever comes in second will receive a really nice toaster oven as a consolation prize.

: The court wizard, the Great and Wise Marlon, will accompany you to the training grounds... Marlon, are you there?

Pause.

POOF

ACK

: Greetings and Salutations, dear friends!

Everyone chooses to ignore this.

: Each of you will receive a training scepter. Once we arrive at the training grounds, I shall administer the tasks. Princess, Barney, and Sam... are we ready?

Everyone nods. The princess preens a bit.

: Then follow meeeeeeee...

With a mystical incantation of 'Abakadoobie'--no, really--Marlon waves his hands.

Sparkles of magic flow around the contestants--

POOF

Barney looks around, then sighs heavily. Marlon laughs indulgently and waves his hands again.

POOF AGAIN

Marlon bows and poofs out after the contestants.

Pause.

: So, who wants cupcakes?

Buddy does!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: The Assistant Pig-Boy undergoes... the Trial of the Wandoliers! Dun dun dunnnnnnn.

---

- Video: Abakadoobie!
So much sparkly teleporting!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 5: How To Wand Friends And Influence Mana

Having poofed all the hopefuls out of the castle, Marlon now appears near a beach somewhere, terrifying a local crab. He closes his eyes and makes mystical gestures and

POOF

POOF

POOF

I guess Marlon lives on the Isle of Magic! Fancy that!

Man, that is an abomination of a castle-thing. Wandoliers! Anyway, once Barney stops coughing out black smoke:

Marlon whips around.

thanks, dumbledalf

: For safety reasons, you will all be issued special training wands. They have limited powers, but will work for our purposes.

sparkle sparkle

Suddenly, Sam pulls a wand pretty much directly out of his rear end.

Princess Butter follows suit.

There is a pause while Sam and Princess Butter polish their new wands on their sleeves and try out fancy poses.

HEY

There we go. Wand for Barney.

: Now, an important note: No wand can operate without a special Essence called Mana. You will need to gather a lot of Mana before you can use even these simple training wands!

What's an Essence, you ask? Well, Marlon's not going to tell us. If you want an in-game explanation of Essence, go play the original MySims.

... okay, okay. Essences are, well, the essence of everything. Objects, actions, emotions: these all have the chance to create a magical essence, which a wand-equipped Sim can collect and then use to create stuff. For example, the gross organic matter dropped by the pig was really an Organic essence; we need certain numbers of essences to--well, do nothing right now. I'll tell you more when it becomes relevant.

: I have placed treasure chests around this island that are filled with Mana. Find and open all of the chests, then come back to see me. Oh, and if anyone wishes to pause briefly before attempting these arduous trials, now would be a good time...

And we're given a tutorial on how to pause and save the game. :allears:

: Fantastic! Now, open all of the chests and find the Mana. Then return to me. Ready... GOOOOOOOOO!

She's super motivated.

Sam finds a chest! It springs open and releases a bunch of sparkly Mana, which bounces all over the place before Sam's magical pockets suck it all in.

Whoops, looks like Barney beat us to this chest.

Or... not.

More Mana for Sam! There are four chests in all, which easily gives us the twenty Mana that Marlon requires. Let's go check in.

: Looks like Sam found all the Mana chests first! Well done! Now that your wands have been energized with Mana, we may begin to learn how to wield them...

Or we can put our save tutorial to good use!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Sam wands things up! Forever, and ever, and ever...

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 6: Blah Blah Blah Tutorial Blah

I'm gonna come clean with you here: this update is long and it mostly covers tutorial stuff, which is not the most interesting thing. I am showing it to you because I hate you. Uh, I mean, because if I had to suffer through this, then so do you. No, wait, it's because I am an anal-retentive completionist. ... okay, fine, it's really because there's just enough cute dialogue and stuff sprinkled throughout to make me feel bad about leaving it out. I'll elide some of the duller 'press A to' stuff.

To make things a little more interesting, I will sprinkle some random MySims Factoids(tm) throughout the update.

Uh oh. A box.

: But the power does have limits: one can only use the scepter within special regions like this one, and only if the Wandolier has collected enough Mana to power it.

In short, we can only build on these suspiciously-flat bounded areas instead of flinging boxes anywhere all willy-nilly. Marlon also explains how to pull out our wands and use them to pick up and drop existing items, wanding the heck out of our fourth wall in the process.

: So simple! Marvel at the elegant design and usability of the scepter! It is truly fantastic! Ready to try it for yourselves, my students?

Sam looks at the box, then nods.

: Fantastic! You should start by picking up that box and placing it in the red goal on that platform. Only the first contestant to finish this simple task will get credit. Let the race begin!

OH NO OH NO GOTTA HURRY pffft yeah right sure

Most of the MySims games were developed by EA Redwood Shores, now known as Visceral Games. They're probably best known for the Dead Space series; they also made Dante's Inferno and a bunch of random LotR and James Bond games. And somewhere in the midst of all this, they made a bunch of strangely good children's games. Who knew?

And now we have access to the blue shield, which is our Wand Powers.

Wand powers, engage!

Sam grabs the box--

--and moves it to the target zone, which is super easy because it snaps to the grid. Guess he gets credit for the task!

: Wow, Sam! You're a cube-moving master!

So true. So true.

: Fantastic, Sam! You won the second challenge. Let me know when you're ready to continue!

Let's party!

: It's time for the third challenge... your next task is quite simple, really.

Marlon trails off, then goes "BWAH?" and runs forward.

See?

: What the-?!

Marlon flails helplessly at the scattered Beanie Babies.

: Don't worry little friends! We'll save you!

Marlon turns back to us.

: Okay, my students, change of plans. One of you must use your wand to place my stuffed animals back onto their shelf. Huge points for whoever can do this first! And make sure they're facing outwards! Collectible Kingdom Pals have feelings too, you know!

Princess Butter is a bit more optimistic.

: Those bears are so cute! Please help them, Sam!

So, yes, this is a tutorial that teaches us how to flip and rotate blocks using the D-pad. Hooray. Sam carefully flips all the collectible Kingdom Pals upright and sits them on their shelf. It would have taken about half as long to just pick them up with his hands--but, of course, he stinks of pig and failure.

: Argh! You're too good at this wanding stuff!

: What an amazing saver of bears you are, Sam!

: Aww! There we are, Sam! All my little friends are back safe and sound!

Man, this could go to a guy's head.

I've tried to avoid using the terms 'chibi' or 'superdeformed' to refer to the MySims characters, since these aren't Japanese games. As it turns out, though, I might as well have done so. The concept artist who is largely responsible for the look of the series is named Emmy Toyonaga; she's on record as saying that her Japanese background influenced the design of the characters, since she's accustomed to fun, lighthearted games having short and stubby characters. She also cites urban vinyl toys as a major influence, which leads me to, once again, bemoan the fact that MySims toys were never made.

: Whew! Okay, let's move on.

A bigger box!

: Let's learn how to use the power of the wand to create an entire house! Sadly, a house will not fit here--the yard is too overgrown!

And how do we do that? Marlon explains how to delete items that we've picked up. If we pick up an item and delete it, it stops bothering us and we also regain the Mana it cost to originally place it. Destroying the hard work of previous Wandoliers is satisfying and lucrative.

: What an ugly place! My mushroom garden back home is much prettier.

: This overgrown lot reminds me of the harbor. Sure wish that place had a nice big house for me...

Sorry to hear that, Barn. Maybe some day you can hire a construction firm and have a place built.

Anyway! We grab the bushes one at a time and magically crush them into a fine powder of Mana that recharges our wand WOO HOO

And then we open the catalog to see what we can create.

A BOX

PLONK

ROOF

: Oh, well done, Sam! You did it again!

This makes Marlon so happy that he now likes Sam better, and as a reward he... basically secretes a bunch of bouncy Mana that gets sucked into Sam's magic pockets. Is that gross? It's gross. Okay, never mind. Instead, imagine that Marlon briefly turned into a Mana sprinkler.

: Hmm, still needs something... well done, Sam! Still, that house looks a bit... austere. Let's dress it up with windows and such, shall we? There are certain items you can build with that satisfy Interests. You can see an item's Interest value when you point at it in the catalog.

Inter-what now? Marlon doesn't want to explain that either. If you want an explanation, go play the original MySims.

... so, yeah. Sims have Interests, which are things that they are interested in. (I know! I was surprised too!) Depending on their personalities Sims can like things that are Fun, or Cute, or Elegant, or Spooky; also, they can be interested in Tech, Food, or Nature. Houses and buildings require Structure to not fall down; furniture and cabinetry and so on are all Domestic Interests.

: When you place one of these items down you add its Interests to the area. When you meet the requirements for that area, your task is complete!

Marlon pauses, then adds:

: One other thing: Sometimes when you pick up a block you will see a blue ghosted version of it appear in the world. Unlike a red ghost block, which shows you where a block must go, a blue ghosted block shows you where a block COULD go. Feel free to choose the places that you think are best! Enjoy your house building, students!

You guys ready to enjoy some house building?

: These roses are so pretty! They're much more interesting than building that dusty old house.

Nope.

: Hmm... windows seem like a cost-effective way of fulfilling the Structure Interest requirement...

Oh, crap, Barney is catching up, better hurry!

Eventually EA decided to ditch the franchise and foisted SkyHeroes, the last game in the series, onto a developer called Behaviour Interactive. BI appears to specialize in quickie tie-in games of all kinds. They've won awards and stuff, so they're not precisely terrible, and they did make some cool moves: they released SkyHeroes across all the then-current console platforms and added an online multiplayer mode. Still, the franchise was most likely already dead when BI got it, and it was their job to tidy up the corpse and see it safely buried.

Somewhere in the pile of windows is the fact that a chimney adds one Structure Interest to a building. We need three Structure Interests.

... aaaand as you can see we could add eight chimneys and no windows to this house if we felt like it. Wandoliers!

Sam will just drop some windows instead, totally stealing Barney's idea.

: Yes! That's a nice looking house, Sam! Hmm... but something is missing...

Oh, good, he's finally noticed that there's no door.

: Ah, of course! Paint!

:doh:

: Lucky for us, the scepter can paint as well as create!

He explains how to paint things, woo.

: Have fun and be creative, Sam!

Yeah, he's not even pretending that the others are in this race any more.

sometimes I take screenshots just because of facial expressions

: Hmm... if I paint it really ugly, I'm bound to come in second, hehehe...

Paint! Sam is an uneducated pig-boy whose potential for creativity has been stifled all his life, so he paints the roof a shade of gray shingles and the walls a shade of gray brick wall. Meanwhile, no one else even tries.

: I blame the crabs! They're so distracting! Why can't there be ponies on this 'magic' island instead?

: Sam wins again! That house is much better now with new paint, don't you think? Alright, my students, let us move on to the final trial...

FINALLY THE DOOR THANK GOD

THAT IS NOT A DOOR AT ALL

: Some things in this world can't work by themselves--they need to be powered!

: This windmill turns cool gusts of wind into wonderfully useful rotational energy... that power is causing this gear to turn! Gears can be used to connect rotational power to distant objects that need it... but gears will not turn on their own; they have to be connected to a power source or another spinning gear! Okay, my students, give it a shot! Place gears to connect that spinning gear to the axle on the switch. Good luck!

: Know what gears are made of? Metal. You know what else is made of metal? Toaster ovens. Just keepin' my eye on the prize.

: After we finish this one, we get to go back to the castle!

Yeah. After 'we' finish this one. Right.

Probably the most obscure bit of MySims ephemera is MySims Camera, a bit of download-only DSiWare which allows the player to take pictures using the DS camera and then superimpose animated MySims characters onto the images. It's still there in the eShop and it runs just fine on the 3DS. I know this because I plunked down two bucks for it just a few days ago. I have already taken a picture of a tiny Morcubus laughing evilly atop one of my cats. If that's not worth two bucks, I don't know what is.

Sam creates a gear, and the game tells us how to place multiples of items without picking them out of our menu each time.

gear gear gear gear done! I can't help but think that there must be a more efficient way to connect gears to each other. Oh, well.

: Yay! Time to go back to the castle! I'll win for sure!

: Woo! Let's get off this crazy magical wonderland!

: Sam aces the final task! I can't say I'm surprised, at this point... ah, Sam. You have exceeded my expectations. You are a most promising student! I've collected the training scepters from everyone, so it's time to return to the castle and hear the results of the contest!

: *ahem* If that's all, then we'll head back to the castle. Follow meeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Marlon waves his hands in a familiar manner, and...

The three of us poof out, and Marlon follows.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Gosh, I wonder if Sam won. It sure was a close contest!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 7: Hooray, We Win A Lifetime Of Toil In The King's Service

Meanwhile, back at the castle, our friends are waiting.

POOF

And, with the usual mysterious gestures...

We're back! Marlon steps forward while the rest of us regain our balance.

: Here are the results, Your Majesty.

Marlon produces a scroll and hands it to the king, who unrolls it.

:ohdear:

YAAAAY I CAN'T BELIEVE IT

: Hooray!

: Yes!!!

Barney points at Sam and chortles. No, seriously, he chortles. I promise.

: Yes!! In your face!

He busts out some sick dance moves in celebration--he's pretty spry for an old dude--before hustling from the castle, toaster oven presumably in hand.

: Awwww, I came in last?! DAaaaaaaAAAAD!

: I'm so sorry, sweetie. How many ponies will it take to make it better?

: Ooh, Butter, those are very rare, you know. However... I DO know a couple of elves who could probably set us up...

That will surely never come back to bite us in the rear end.

: Hooray!!! You're the best, Daddy!

Mollified, Princess Butter heads off to her room, leaving the adults to talk.

: Ah, Sam... congratulations on a job well done. Here it is, Sam: a brand new wand for you, and you alone, to wield! You've certainly earned it!

Gasp!

Awww, he's so happy. Let's see how long that lasts.

Sam buffs that puppy up, then strikes a few poses while Buddy and Lyndsay cheer him on.

: Way to go, Sam! We knew you could do it!

: Indeed, Sam! And now, the honor of filling up this new wand goes to you.

: 'Fill up'? What does that mean?

: Yes, Buddy! You see, each Wandolier decides what powers their wand will have. Think of this new wand as a blank sheet of paper--a fresh start. In time, Sam will fill up this wand with new powers, and be able to build many different things!

: But, Marlon, how do we add powers to the wand?!

: Oh, I'm sure you'll find a way. Some things are best learned by doing!

Marlon takes something from his pocket.

: Incidentally, Lyndsay, I'd like you to hold onto this magic bag for me.

Hmm.

Lyndsay accepts the bag.

: Oh, okay... but, Marlon, what do you want me to do with this?

: Ha ha! I'll tell you when the time is right, Lyndsay.

Everyone considers this for a moment.

: Umm... so what do we do now?

We can totally do that! Who needs help?!

I... don't know how to fix that, Buddy. Sorry.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: ... oh, did you think we were done with tutorials? Ha haaaa no.

---

Video: Barney Busts A Move
Note Marlon cheering Barney on while the rest of us just stare blankly.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 8: Wizard Attack

In his first official act as a Royal Wandolier, Sam rummages through one of Princess Butter's dresser drawers.

And he promptly drops it on his foot, making him yelp and then laugh in embarrassment.

This does, however, net him a couple of red crayons--or, to be more precise, Red Crayon Essences. Ha ha! Mine now!

Sam also takes a moment to jump on the royal couch, shaking loose a bunch of Springs and Simoleons. Meanwhile, Marlon's ongoing research at the bookshelf produces a few Pencils, which Sam steals. We're learning things!

Still, the pressure is on us to leave the castle and go help Sims in need, so eventually we do just that. Leave the castle, that is. It remains to be seen if we'll be of any use to anyone.

: Wow! A real adventure at last! Who'd have thought? Let's look for someone who needs our help!

Sam nods in agreement, and we set off!

... man, that didn't take long.

: Can you maybe wand those two wooden pieces back into place?

Our first real job! Sam picks up the two platforms and magically glues them to the riverbanks, producing...

A bridge! Which we all make our way across.

: Awesome! You sure are something, Sam.

Our reward is that Barney likes us better and also turns into a Mana sprinkler. Yay!

We have crossed the bridge and entered the next area. Unfortunately, the way onwards appears to end in a small cliff.

: Well... no way we're gettin' up there.

Short game!

: No way, Buddy! Sam can just build us some stairs or something!

Lyndsay looks around the area.

: But there's not even any stairs here to put in place...

Suddenly:

STOP DOING THAT

Ahem.

: So, Marlon, what do we do?

: I AM?! How am I going to do that?

: If the right Essences go into the bag, it will magically add a new power to Sam's wand.

For no real reason, I feel like this is a good time to remind everybody not to be creepy in my thread!

: Just look for one of these!

Marlon hands Lyndsay the scroll.

: Magic Scrolls like that one are like recipes to unlock new wand powers! In this case, the recipe is for stairs!

Marlon beams at all of us.

: It's all yours, Lyndsay. I leave the rest to you. Good luck, Sam!

And Marlon sparklepoofs back out.

Long pause.

Long pause.

Eventually, Elmira notices us all staring and puts her axe away.

Pause.

Well, crap. Sam and his friends go into a huddle.

Nothing wrong with this plan!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: We acquire an axe through the abuse of eminent domain! Or something like that, anyway.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Serious Frolicking posted:

This is providing a lot of context to all of the completely unexplained wizards and elves that just kind of showed up in agents.

Yeeeah. I always knew that Agents had a number of Kingdom references in it, but I did not actually realize just how many until I replayed Kingdom in preparation for this LP. So many! Including tiny things that I had completely forgotten!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 9: The Pick-Up Artist

... intriguing! Go on.

: Do you really think that's going to work, Buddy?

: I'm sure she'll give you the axe then!

: Alright, I guess we can try Buddy's way first. Let's Socialize with Elmira.

what is this 'we' nonsense

In the Socialize minigame, Sam enters conversation with a Sim and then uses what he knows about their interests and personalities to say exactly what they want to hear in order to manipulate them into doing what he wants. In short, we are playing a PUA-training minigame, only with axes instead of sex. It would be creepy if it weren't so gosh-darned cute.

Elmira starts out Surly. Color me unsurprised. Sam can choose to Flatter her or to Chat her up. Sam decides to chat, as Elmira seems the type to take offense at cheap, insincere flattery.

Hey, chatting with Elmira opened her up! Now she's feeling Talkative. We know that Elmira is big on grueling toil, so Sam decides to talk about that.

Oh, man, talking about hard work makes Elmira Delighted! Let's see. I can't imagine she'd enjoy being tricked. Does oo wanna huuuug?

awwww

if that's not the piggiest-scented hug ever

And now we've put in so many kindness coins that she's willing to give us her axe. Interacting with others is just a big game that we play to win! Yay!

Sam turns to his friends and signals his success via the time-honored 'hooray!' gesture. Lyndsay turns to Buddy.

: Alright, Buddy, I'll admit it. Your idea worked really well.

: BUDDY!!!

Whoops.

Axe in hand, Sam runs over to this little grove of apple trees. For some reason, one of the apple trees is growing Mana, too.

whack whack whack

If we chop a tree too much, it will turn all brown and start to die. Sam can fix this by watering the tree. I guess we manipulated Elmira into giving us a watering can, too.

: Hey, Sam, there's a lot of Essences up in the treetops, too! Couldn't hurt to grab a few of 'em!

When we move the cursor over the top of a tree, it turns into this spread-fingered grabby hand. We can then 'grab' the tree by holding down the Wiimote trigger--

--and literally shake the goodies out of the treetops!

: I'm right over here once you gather all the Wood Essences, Sam!

We can also chop wood out of a tree until it actually dies, in which case it drops everything that was growing on it and then turns into a dead stump.

We can then uhhhh stomp the stump into the ground, which produces some Dead Wood Essences and a convenient hole, ready to be replanted.

At the moment we only have Apples, so Sam plants and waters a new apple-tree sapling.

We can also grab dandelions and pull them up to produce Essences. Apparently this was an apple weed?

Eventually Sam has deforested the entire area--it's okay, he planted some saplings!--and has enough Wood to complete that scroll.

: Hey, Sam! Did you finish a Scroll?

Sam nods.

: Great! This Scroll will give you the power to make stairs!

Lyndsay pulls out the bag and shakes it a few times.

When she opens it, a new power sparkles out and into Sam's wand!

We are both stoked, because now Sam can make two kinds of stairs (and wooden platforms too)!

It sure is, Buddy. It sure is.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: We build the heck out of some stairs!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 10: Up, Up, And Not Away

Okay! Now we can build stairs!

Lots of stairs.

We could even build super-wide stairs if we wanted to, but meh, that's like effort.

: Man, who would have thought getting to the harbor would have been so much work! Now I'm doubly glad you won the wand, Sam!

So, okay. Barney lives at the harbor. He obviously arrived at the castle just fine earlier in the day, which means that all these stairs and bridges and stuff went broken and missing after Barney got there. The only explanation I can think of is that Marlon must have poofed out and broken everything just to make sure that the new Wandolier would have ample opportunity to try out those new powers.

WIZAAAAARDS :argh:

: Fantastic! It sure is great having a friend who's a Wandolier!

We head up the stairs and come to this gate and water wheel.

: Something's wrong with the gate to the harbor, pal. I think it's closed!

: The switch that opens the gate isn't powered. It looks like we'll need to replace the gears here to make the gate open.

The camera zooms up dramatically.

Princess Butter beams evilly.

: I hid it in a secret place where only I can find it!

: Oh. Well, why don't we just ask her nicely? It worked with Elmira.

: Be nice to Butter? Are you serious?! That will never work!

: Trust me, Sam! Just try to Socialize with Princess Butter.

Right, right. Fortunately the princess has come down off her perch. Sam tries just talking to her, but...

... well... well FINE

We're really just working our way through a flowchart here. If we mess up, the conversation just loops back to an earlier exchange and we get to try again.

Anyway, Sam decides to tell the princess the one about the swineherd who only had two pigs.

And she thinks it's funny!

Ooh. Um. Well, she's in a playful mood, and Sam just happens to have these puppets laying around...

I think she liked it.

She did! The comedy option is working well for us, so let's juggle.

yaaaaay

However, this just puts her back in a playful mood. The game kindly notes that we've put on a puppet show for her before and it made her Delighted; this seems like the right direction, so Sam does that again and then goes in for the hug.

still cute

And we win again!

I... but... you wanted to hang out with the lowly pig-boy all along? Really? how is Buddy always right

: Okay, I hid the Gear Scroll in a chest near my mushroom garden.

You're right, Butter. I would never have found that in a million years. Anyway, we've won over the princess and claimed our reward!

: See? That wasn't so bad! I told you she was nice!

We've also unlocked the ability to Be Nice or Be Mean to random Sims. If we are randomly Nice to Butter:

awww

She pops out Happy Essences for us! And then she runs the heck off before we can Be Mean and get Angry Essences for our collection, dammit. Guess she's smarter than she looks.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: I guess we shouldn't make gears out of wood, huh?

---

Video: Socializing With Butter
Watch this one if you can, because the voice work is really good.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Seyser Koze posted:

Wait, so is Butter supposed to be Beebee Mark II (or the other way around, I guess)? They don't seem much alike, aside from their talent for providing unexpected :unsmith: moments.

When you first meet Beebee in the original MySims, she introduces herself by saying, "I am Princess Beebee the Kind and Wise, ruler of the bunny people!"

At least Beebee is merely vacuous instead of spoiled rotten. :v:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like people aren't addressing the most important issue. When is it gonna be dress up time?

Soon! Dress-up time is soon! I just want to power through Tutorial Island before we start on it.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 11: Mine, Mine, It's All Mine

Well! I think our goal is clear!

That's right: we're going to build another staircase in order to reach the ledge that Princess Butter was standing on earlier. Gears? Pff.

The tiny cubical badger freaks out and burrows underground when Sam gets close.

Still, we're not here for badgers, as cute as they are. We're here because of this hidden chest!

The chest explodes in Mana, Simoleon Essences, and... a statue of King Roland? Enjoy this look at it, folks: we won't actually be able to look at it again in-game for a very long time.

... is what I would say if I didn't have a completed save kicking around. Here is a very slightly better view of the King Roland statue. Hey, I didn't say anything about getting a good look at it.

After picking up the statue of Roland, Sam jumps down, unmakes that staircase in order to reclaim his Mana, and runs back to the castle. His goal: the gearmaking scroll.

Aww, the princess giftwrapped it for us.

... mining, you say

: Why don't you try mining over there? It looks like a good spot to me!

So it does!

In the mining minigame, Sam plays Hot and Cold with a wall. He picks up this pickaxe--thanks, Elmira, I guess?--and hops along, tapping at the wall and listening to the noises this produces.

Every time he plinks at the wall, we see a colored impact and hear sonar-like beeping. As the beeps rise higher in pitch, the impact circles get closer to red...

There! Sam's echolocation has picked up a pocket of minerals!

Sam starts whacking at the wall in earnest, dislodging a bunch of giant screws. Okay, Metal Essences. Eventually the pocket runs dry, Sam goes 'woohoo!', and the process repeats itself until we get bored and quit.

We also find a small deposit of chocolate bars. I mean Bronze Essences. Well, honestly, if it had been chocolate, I would not have been in the least surprised. You'll see what I mean later.

Anyway, once Sam has mined enough metal to complete the Scroll Of Gearmaking, he returns the pick to its place and goes to find Lyndsay.

: Wee! Mining looks fun!

... :what:

: Fantastic! I bet those gears will be super useful!

Gears away! Sam gains the power of small gear and large gear. Large Gear?!

: Let's hurry up and power that switch, Sam! I think we'll have to make it spin using gears...

blah blah blah gear gear blah

: Hooray! The gate is open! You're unstoppable, Sam!

And we all go through the opened gate and arrive at the harbor!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Where does Barney intend to store his fancy new toaster oven, anyway?

---

Video: Mining Tutorial
Now you can learn how to mine right along with Sam, in twenty-five seconds or less!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

Huh. I wonder how many other resource minigames there are. That looks kind of fun, gathering stuff and all.

Ohhh, maybe a few more. Just... a few.

Also, I want to note for the record that the Sims-LP Curse took out my modem yesterday. Fortunately we're back up and running now!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 12: Harboring Fugitives

The camera sweeps down the short dock.

: Sure, Buddy, it's great if you want to live alone, but it's a nightmare when you want to entertain guests. Plus, there's nowhere for me to plug in my new toaster oven. How am I s'posed to make pizza bagels?

Barney turns to Sam.

: Sam, I'm having some friends over tonight and I promised them pizza bagels. Can you help me out?

Man, someone was confident in his ability to take second place.

: Lyndsay, I think you might be able to use this to help him.

Lyndsay unrolls the new scroll.

Heck yes! To unlock this scroll's sweet, sweet house powers, we need Wood and Bronze. Huh. Sam runs back to the mining wall right quick and hews out some more chocolate bars, then returns to Lyndsay.

: Wow! Let's see what you can build now...

And we unlock... hoo boy. Barney's House Paints, the Medium Base Block, the Peasant Chimney, the Peasant Dormer, Peasant Windows in two sizes--I am sensing a theme here--the Porch Roof, the Peasant Door, the Peasant Roof, and two sizes of Bush, Tall and Short. I... think now is when I'm going to stop screencapping everything we unlock. This is a decision I will not regret making!

BWAM

GODDAMMIT

Marlon ignores Buddy entirely.

: Sam, you can find Mana almost anywhere as you explore the kingdom. However... if you ever need more, just turn to Lyndsay!

: Me?! What can I do, Marlon?

: You can place extra Essences in the Magic Bag and transmute them into Mana for Sam!

Marlon beams at Sam.

: Just approach Lyndsay anytime and choose to Transmute when you want some extra Mana! Okay, I promise not to interfere any further. This is YOUR quest, Sam!

And away he goes. Everyone turns back to Barney--

Anyway.

Let's build us a house. Note: we finally learn about doors.

Doop de doo!

There! Nice house. Many windows. So bushes. Wow.

... anyway, let's paint the house while we're at it.

Ooooh, gold.

Note that we can paint these little windowsills. Most things that we can build consist of lots of little parts that can be painted independently, should Sam want to.

See, Sam painted the windowsills gold and the shutters a nice shade of royal blue. Blue goes with gold, right? Sam's wearing a yellow shirt and blue pants, so it's got to be okay!

Hooray, he likes it! As a reward, Barney spews Mana everywhere.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Another day, another Scroll, another silly minigame!

Picayune fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 12, 2014

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 13: Ground Bacon And Bee Pictures

Barney gives Lyndsay another Scroll, which she unrolls.

Sam's a good sport. Woo hoo, yay! :unsmith:

: But wait... Stone and... Amber?! Barney, where are we supposed to find this stuff?

: The ground. I'm going to give you guys my old treasure finder! You can use it to dig up all sorts of things!

: Wow! Think of all the treasure we could find! Stone, mana, precious gems--

: --and Bacon!

Let's just... remember that she said that, okay?

: Bacon is delicious!

Brief pause. Barney turns to Sam.

: Anyhow, here's the treasure finder.

: Alright, Sam, let's dig around and see what we can find!

Sam nods.

We've unlocked all four wand modes: no wand, building wand, painting wand, and metal-detecting wand.

The treasure detector works exactly like free-range mining: walk around watching the radar circles change color and listening to the boopy noises. When the circles go bright red and the boopy noises go all high-pitched and excited, Sam has found something!

Sam pulls out Elmira's shovel and digs at the ground for a minute...

... and the world explodes in bouncy treasures, yaaaaay. Eventually Sam digs up enough Essences to satisfy the Scroll.

: Hey, Sam! Did you finish a Scroll? Let's go tell Barney we're done!

... he's... right there, Lyndsay

Anyway! We get: Barney's Interior Paints, a Bookshelf, a basic wooden Coffee Table, a Cooking Pot, a Bee Picture, a Sunflower Vase, a Teddy Bear, some Cooking Utensils on a wooden pegboard, a Traditional Bed and Couch, a kitchen Counter, and a Dresser.

: Did you talk to Barney? He sure is particular!

Barney goes into his new house! Let's follow.

... I know I did not build you a square house, Barney. Also I do not see the windows that I so lovingly placed and painted. I call shenanigans on this adorable Escherian nightmare!

Uh, anyway. The television icon is Domestic Essence, which is the game's shorthand for 'furniture'. Also, looks like Barney wants a house that's a little Fun and just a tiny bit Cute. Awww.

Kitchen complete, with plenty of extra counter space for that toaster oven!

Bee!

A couch, a coffee table, and a bookshelf make a nice minimal living room.

And a bed and dresser make a bedroom! Plus some sunflowers and a teddy bear. For Fun.

Sam puts wood paneling in the bedroom and tile on the kitchen floor. Notice that we could paint the couch upholstery a lovely shade of Gross Wallpaper if we wanted to.

Aww, Barney's happy.

Let's give him a bright green bedspread.

She? Oh, Barney, are you sweet on Elmira? :allears:

... seriously, it had better be Elmira, because I don't like any of your other options

: Now, could you follow me outside? I have something I'd like to give you.

He's totally just kicking us out of his house now that we're of no further use to him.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: It was all a dream! ... a test. I meant test. It was all a test!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

dijon du jour posted:

You think that's bad? If you place a block inside a house, put a door on it, and then enter through the door you'll end up outside the door you originally entered the house by! Explain how THAT works.

!

AAAAAUGH

I did not know it would do that!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

dijon du jour posted:

Side note: as I was playing around with the houses just now I deleted the outside door to Barney's house and as soon as I did that Lyndsay looked really worried, said something about a door, and vanished in a puff of smoke. :stonk:

Congratulations.

You broke it.

You broke the universe.

(hee hee hee mysims creepypasta)

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 14: One Weird Old Pigeon (Discovered By A King)

And as Barney turns to go:

POOF POOF

: You see, Sam, this island was your final test. You have proven both your skill and your compassion.

: You're a clever and determined Sim, Sam.

Marlon looks sad.

: We will certainly miss your company while you're away...

: Wait, I don't understand. Is Sam going somewhere?

: Ho ho! Indeed! You see today wasn't just about naming a new Wandolier... Sam, I'm sending you on a great quest!

Both Buddy and Lyndsay gasp and flail around.

: Whoa!

: A quest for King Roland?!

: As you know, my kingdom stretches over the entire world. That's a lot of area for just one king to cover! I wish I could be everywhere at once, but, well...

The king giggles bashfully.

: At my age it is not always so easy, you know!

: That is your quest, Sam.

Roland beams at us.

: Of course, I would never ask you to do this alone! Buddy, Lyndsay, you will accompany Sam on this quest.

Yay! says Sam.

: You do! Lyndsay, I need you to continue to support Sam with Marlon's Magic Bag.

: Yes, Your Majesty.

The king turns to Buddy.

: And Buddy, you will continue to be my loyal messenger.

Buddy salutes the King.

We are joined by Buddy's pigeon friend, Guillermo. Lyndsay scowls.

: Guillermo? You're bringing that weird old pigeon?

: Hey, Guillermo's my pal. He's really smart, too!

Lyndsay suddenly realizes that she has fallen into the Buddy Zone. She sighs heavily and turns back to the King.

: Your Majesty, there's just one thing I don't understand... how do we know when we've completed the quest?!

: Well, as you help Sims around the kingdom, I'll hear stories of your achievements. With each accomplishment, you'll earn a little bit more of my favor, and I'll reward you for your efforts.

: Well, I wouldn't call it points, exactly...

Screw you, king! Team Sam invents its own reality!

: Does that sound fair?

Sam nods.

: Then the quest has begun! You can leave as soon as you're ready. Barney, please give these three access to the royal ship!

oh thank goodness no more teleporting

: And Sam, since you're going all over the kingdom, maybe you can help me out with my fish collection?

No. :mad:

: Anytime you see a new fish, make sure to come talk to me and I'll give you a reward! Thanks!

Gosh, that sounds like a collection sidequest that might involve some kind of fishing minigame!

Nah. Couldn't be.

: Good luck, Sam!

: Stop by the castle anytime you want cupcakes!

The two of them poof back out.

Woo hoo, yay!

We all run for the boat.

My pals! And look at that face. Sam is already So Tired Of This poo poo. :allears:

Anyway! We now have access to our world map--or some of it, anyway. Two lands are open to us, each with their own problems to solve...

:siren: Should Sam follow the sign of the pig to Renee's Nature Preserve? Or should he horseshoe over to Cowboy Junction? :siren:

I'm going to let the vote run for forty-eight hours, because it sounds like the forums might be wobbly over the next few days and I want to give everyone a chance to help make this momentous decision. :colbert:

Picayune fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 18, 2014

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Wrap-Up: Capital Island

Is that it for Capital Island? Well... no.

Whenever we 'finish' an island, it suddenly develops a day/night cycle: it is immediately nighttime and nobody will talk about anything except how tired they are. But that's okay, Sam doesn't need friends. He has this chest behind Barney's house to keep him company!

The chest contains this Garden Scroll, which we will complete whenever Sam feels like pretending to like somebody for long enough to collect all those Happy Essences.

There's one last surprise hidden on Capital Island, but it's going to have to wait for a narratively-appropriate moment. :colbert:

If Sam goes back into his task diary, he can check on his relationship status and also see everyone's bio blurbs. Our pals love us, and Marlon loves us, but everyone else is kind of iffy on us. Even Barney. Goddammit, Barney.

(Will we get a chance to fix this later? Maybe.)

The little television tells us that Elmira is a Domestic-focused Sim; apparently she doesn't give a pig's fart about Sam despite his honeyed words earlier.

Butter is a Cute Sim. I'm sure we're all amazed.

Barney Cull the Nature Sim likes us a little!

I wouldn't have picked Marlon as Cute, but then I remember his collection of stuffed animals.

Cupcakes earn King Roland a classification as a Tasty Sim.

I'm glad that Buddy is so willing to face up to dinosaurs and zombies, two things which totally do not exist in the world as we know it. Totally not there. Nope.

Lyndsay and Buddy are both Fun Sims, which is probably good, since otherwise this grand quest would be pretty miserable.

But enough about other people. What about Sam's fashion choices? Truly that is what is important here.

While we haven't unlocked anything yet, we did have choices to make within Create-A-Sim:

There are six outfits available to us--really only three, but there's a recolor of each. Assistant pig-boys don't have large wardrobes.

However, we do also have a decent array of super-medieval eyewear, including a monocle for those pig-boys with delusions of style!

And so many hairstyles. That is a lot of hairs. I'm partial to the doofy bowlcut, myself, but we are kind of spoiled for doofy choice here. "Hello, I am a Beatle." "Hello, I am Julius Caesar." "Hello, I am Goku." "Hello, I am a thumb."

And what if Sam was instead a Samantha?

Mostly dresses, plus one pair of pants for that adventurous pig-girl. A couple of those dresses seem like poor choices for a pig-herder, but hey, what do I know.

And a whopping twenty-five starting hairstyles!

Male or female, we have the choice of light, medium, or dark skin, along with a large selection of eyes, mouths, and facial decals. I won't be documenting those because a) too many and b) we'll see most of them on other Sims as we play the game.

Every hairstyle comes in blond, brown, reddish, and black; some hairstyles have an bonus fifth color, like bright orange.

Or, you know, green, silver, pink...

By overwhelming majority: join Team Sam next time as they explore the oinky wonders of Renee's Nature Preserve!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 15: Technical Difficulties: Please Bear With Us

To Renee's Nature Preserve we go! Sailing, sailing, over the bounding main~

Sam gets to steer during the loading screens. Buddy and Lyndsay provide color commentary.

: Neat! I want to meet a cow!

: Buddy, I think a nature preserve would have slightly more exotic animals than cows.

: Really? HEY! Maybe they'll have pigs!!!

: ... wouldn't THAT be a rare treat.

Nothing like a little sarcasm to make these long boat rides go by faster. Anyway!

Eventually we dock at the Nature Preserve! It sure is natural.

I see bees, and a treasure chest, and... is that a bear?

Renee meets us at the docks when we arrive. Hi, Renee! I'm not putting the accent in your name because I am lazy.

: Welcome, welcome! Right this way.

We join her at the foot of the dock.

my... my immersion

: What?

: Remember, flash photography is strictly prohibited while in the park.

: Huh?

: Wow! I bet the animals love that!

: They do!

: Hmmm...

: As soon as you're ready, just talk to me and we'll begin the tour!

Buddy salutes, and after a quick look around Sam decides to take the tour.

Renee trots off, and Sam follows her.

uhh

Sam is all oh I saw this coming

: Don't worry, Renee, Sam here is King Roland's royal Wandolier! He can build you a great place in no time!

Sam nods sympathetically.

: Wow! That'd be great! Here, take this Scroll--it'll teach you everything you'll need to build my Visitor Center!

Right! Let's get started.

We need Happy Essences to make a Visitor's Center, for reasons, so Sam tells Renee a joke.

There we go. Now we need cherries, also for reasons. Are there cherry trees around here? Man, I hope so.

That is not a cherry tree, but Sam is always happy to get more Mana, Simoleons, and Bronze. Let's go say hi to the--

HOLY CRAP ABORT ABORT

Yes. Well. Sam slinks away from the enormous noble pig and heads up the hill to his right.

Ah ha! Cherry trees! I cannot tell a lie: Sam cut them both down. He could have just watered them, since watering a full-sized tree makes it break out in fruit--but he'll need some Wood as well, again for reasons.

And then over here we have AAAAAAGH

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: ... short game!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
my.... my update schedule :qq:

Anyway!

Ep. 16: The Matrix Has Them

Uhhh as I was saying these trees over here drop Cherry Blossoms instead of Cherries. Since the bear does not seem inclined to eat him, Sam goes back to collecting cherries and cherry parts. Eventually he has everything he needs to complete the Visitor Center scroll, and--

--AAAAAAA

So apparently Buddy and Lyndsay have merged into a single four-armed being now? Have I mentioned that this game can get a weeeeee bit glitchy?

aaaaugh

Anyway, Sam runs the gently caress away.

But eventually he has to go back, because the glitched-out Lynbuddy-thing does not fix itself, choosing instead to remain frozen in place and wave its four arms around.

: Looks like you got everything you need for Renee's Scroll! Let's see what you got!

I cannot stop taking pictures of this horrifying thing. Anyway! We get: a Cottage Door, Windows--Big, White, and Square--a Shed Roof and a Roof Extension, a Stovepipe Chimney, a Wood Fence, some Roses, and some Visitor Center Paints. Flee, flee, back to Renee.

: Excellent! Now we have everything we need to build the Visitor Center! Go ahead and construct it right here in front of the dock, and remember, surround it with lots of Nature stuff so the animals feel at home!

All righty then.

Lots of Nature, some Cute, and don't forget the Door. We can do this.

Only we run the crap out of Mana. Back to the Budsay!

Somehow Sam manages to pick the Lyndsay half out of the equation and talks to her to open the Transmute screen. As Marlon explained earlier, we can trade Essences for Mana. Some Essences are worth more Mana than others: Wood is a straight one-for-one trade, for example, while Simoleons are worth a cool five Mana apiece. Wood is easy to come by in large quantities right from the start of the game, though, so I usually use it as my currency even though it's not worth much.

Having gained some more Mana, Sam gets back to work on the Visitor's Center. Those are supposed to be big, right? Sam's never seen a Visitor's Center before, but he thinks they're probably big. Also, sloped.

There! That looks visit-y. Let's paint it.

No, pink doesn't suit. Concord... those are grapes, right? Grapes are natural. So that's a good color for a Nature Preserve Visitor's Center, right?

There. It's glorious.

Renee seems pleased, anyway. Ooh, a present!

Animal suits! ... wait.

There's a chest full of clothes on the boat and no one told Sam?

Rather dazed at this revelation Sam follows Renee over to the mechanical bull. Buddy and Lyndsay are supposed to be here. They do not appear, being too busy melding into a superSim over there.

: I couldn't find any real bulls, so I ordered this mechanical one instead! All the fun of a real bull without any of the mess!

Renee's smile fades and she sighs.

Huh. Maybe Sam should have put some windows on the back side of the Visitor's Center to break up that vast expanse of purple. ... oh, fine, listening to Renee now

: I couldn't hook up enough gears or axles to connect the ride because they're too noisy and scare the animals! Though now that you're here, maybe we can power the bull after all!

work work work that's all I ever do

: Here, take this Scroll; it'll teach you how to make gear belts! Once you're finished with the Scroll, come talk to me and I'll show you how to use them to power the bull!

Aaaand she literally hands the Scroll to thin air because Lyndsay is still glitched out. This scene may be missing dialogue because of that, but I'm not too bothered. I think we got the gist of it.

I guess we're going to build gear belts from fish and wood. Seems legit.

But first: GETTING OUT OF THESE PIG-SMELLY RAGS

That may be the first pair of shoes Sam's ever owned!

And those are definitely the first pairs of tiger, polar bear, and badger pajamas he's owned. Thanks, Renee!

Sam is dressed for success. Let's go fishing!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Fishiiiiiiing! :argh:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 17: Fishing For A Good Fishing Pun To Use In This Title

So: the fishing minigame. You all knew there had to be one.

It's pretty simple. Sam moves the bobber out over one of those pale fish-like shadows.

They start pulling on it, startling the heck out of Sam.

When the bobber goes completely underwater, Sam yanks back on the fishing rod. (This is done by jerking up the Wiimote and hurting my wrist.)

Whatever we caught comes flying out to land in Sam's magic pockets.

With a joyful cry of "Pleeka!"--or just a happy laugh--Sam reveals that we caught a catfish!

And then he caught a jellyfish. And... another jellyfish. And another catfish. There's no way to predict or control what Sam catches; if we need a thing, we just have to keep fishing until we find it.

Ah ha! A bass at last! We just need to catch five more. Four more to complete the gearbelt scroll, and one extra to take back to Barney.

Oh, hey, our pals stopped having their terrible teleportation accident. Isn't that nice?

... what?

: Alright, let's talk to Renee and get those gear belts! This should make connecting gears a lot easier!

The wand is granted Gear Belts in Short, Medium, and Long! Let's go check in with Renee.

: Be careful though, it may require mixing and matching the different sizes of belts to make them reach the bull!

For the record: Sims will continue to tutorialize at Sam for an ungodly amount of time. I can't believe I'm being lectured at by Renee. Uh, anyway: the camera shows us the windmill.

: To power the bull, start by hooking up a belt to the windmill here.

The camera pans over to the bull.

: Once you have an initial belt hooked up, just keep connecting belts together until you reach the Bull Ride over here! Good luck, Sam!

Anything else I should know?

Ooh, good point.

Here's the bull, with the international symbol for No Gears over it. We need to connect it to the windmill in the background.

Good thing gearbelts hover.

Sam chains long gearbelts over to the windmill.

He then adds a couple of gears to make the final connection.

That, uh. That is making a mockery of gravity. Well, I guess it is magic.

Also, please note the King Points measure in the upper left corner, slowly filling with pale blue King Points! We are earning our keep, by golly.

Oh, boy! Our reward is... that Renee likes us better. She doesn't even fountain out any Mana. Weaksauce!

Let's abandon her for the mechanical bull.

The bull ride is apparently not very well-made, as Spring Essences keep breaking off and jumping into Sam's pockets as he rides.

Eventually Sam gets bucked off, which makes him squirt out some Sad Essences. Well! That was fun. Let's go check out these crabs.

... so, what you're saying is, no crabs?

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Yes crabs!

---

Video: Fishing
Watch Sam pull a few random fish out of this fishing spot, complete with whoops and giggling.

Video: The Mechanical Bull
Sam tries to master the bull ride and fails. It's perfectly possible for him to ride the bull to a stop, thus succeeding and producing some Happy Essences, but this is Sam we're talking about here.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 18: Exit, Pursued By A Bear

oh well that's too bad--

--welp

So into the water we go. Sam finds a lot of Stone and Amber, just like on Capital Island.

And, eventually, one of the things that bounces out of a freshly-dug hole is a Crab Cage Key! Let's take it back to Renee.

Hooray! Now you can let the crabs out of their cages--

--ooooor Sam could do it!

: We'll need to find all the crabs and let them out of their cages before we can observe them in their natural habitat. Be sure to check all the tide pools on the island for them; they're bound to be in more pools than just this one! Hurry!

Sam pulls out a magnifying glass and inspects the cage closely. Just because it's a crab in a cage doesn't mean it's a crab cage, right? Gotta be thorough.

Sam opens the cage and the crab promptly freaks out and burrows under the sand. Oh, well. Four to go!

Fun fact: if you inspect one of the cages before you get this task, Sam peers at the cage for a while and then goes LOL IUNNO WHAT THIS THING IS

There are two tidepools on Renee's island, one to the northwest and one to the southwest, and crab cages are hidden in both. The northwest tidepool also has giant clams.

Which explode into Mana, Simoleons, and Onyx when pried open! Anyway, Sam finds all the hidden crab cages and opens them. Let's go check in with Renee and see what other makework she's come up with.

Yay!

Sam follows Renee up to the little grove of cherry trees.

Sam's work in progress, you mean.

: Say, Sam, you've been such an amazing help so far, would you mind helping me out again?

The camera pans left.

And again.

: And remember, this is a Nature Walk, so please add bits of Nature here and there! Good luck!

See those red shapes? They mean that Sam's required to build this bridge by the numbers, instead of just doing whatever. Booooo. However, he's allowed to put in his Nature Essences in whatever form he likes. ... not that he has more than three or four forms at this point.

There. Nice bridge, good railings.

Awww, it's a baby bear.

... Sam, are you between a baby bear and its mama?

And some Roses for Nature. There!

: Wow, I'm sure my visitors will just love this! Thanks, Sam!

Well, sure, I--

--oh no

no no no

nooooooooo

And then Sam got eaten by a bear, the end.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: A magically-uneaten Sam meets a famous cat!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 19: The Fabulous Ms. Prissykins

oh crap

crap crap crap

craaaaa--wait, Sam's still alive?

... WHO WANTS A FISHIE

BEAR WANTS A FISHIE

nom nom

Aw, good bear. ... uh anyway let's go check in with Renee.

: Thanks so much for reuniting the bears. They seem much happier now!

And Sam didn't get mauled at all!

: Come on, she's right this way!

Sam follows Renee over to an area right by the fishing spot.

... huh. A giant pig, a bunch of crabs, some square bees, two bears, and a big fluffy white cat. Okay!

: She is only happy living high above the ground overlooking the whole island. A tower needs to be constructed to her liking!

Well, I guess she is a cat.

: Here's a Scroll for the pieces you'll need. Good luck!

We're going to build a cat condo out of Cherry Blossoms, Amber, and Onyx! This is not weird at all! MAGIC!

Buddy likes it when Sam kills trees.

Everybody likes it when Sam kills trees!

So: let's take a moment to talk about the 'hidden' gameplay mechanic that is serial weeding. If Sam pulls up this weed on the right side of the screen:

It plays a low tone, flings out a bunch of dandelion seeds, and spits out a cherry blossom. If Sam hurries over and pulls up another weed in a generally-timely manner:

It plays a slightly higher tone and spits out cherries instead! Every island, with the exception of Capital Island, has its own unique 'weeding chain' that is four steps long. (Capital Island has only three weeds on it. I blame Marlon.)

There are some Essences Sam can only get this way--some hidden items, too--and we are left to discover serial weeding for ourselves instead of going through a tutorial about it.

To finish: the third weed in the Nature Preserve chain plays a higher tone yet and drops Simoleons...

And the fourth and final weed in the chain plays a high tone and a soft fanfare and drops Mana! Sam has to hustle, though. If he waits too long in between weeds, the chain resets.

Aaaaanyway. doop de doo huntin' for Onyx

huntin' for--wait, what's that thing that just bubbled up under the water?

Not helpful. ... anyway, Tuffy is a cow! Sam dug up a cow action figure to go with our King Roland!

And also dug up enough Onyx to complete Ms. Prissykins' Scroll.

Lo, Sam is granted a Small Base Block, a Ramp Base Block, a Monarch Butterfly lawn-ornament thing, and, uh, Argyle Paint. Let's talk to Renee.

: Yay! Now that you have everything you need, go ahead and build Ms. Prissykins' tower! She'll be so happy!

Well, I guess I can--

--HOLY CRAP

Wow. That is one spoiled cat. Sam slept in a corner of the pigpen all his life. ... anyway.

: That's a wonderful palace! Good job, Sam! I'm sure Ms. Prissykins will approve.

Hey, kitty. ... I guess Sam never really gets away from his humble herding origins.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Having installed Ms. Prissykins in her tower overlooking the sea, the Assistant Pig-Boy... is done here?

---

Video: Let's Pet Some Bears
Now with bear noises!

Video: Serial Weeding
I have become conditioned to respond with joy to the little 'ping! doo-doo-doo-doop!' fanfare.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 20: Some Pig

C'mon, Ms. Prissykins. Up you go.

Sam leads Ms. Prissykins all the way up to the cat balcony. (And then he has to jump over her to get back out. Guess he should have made that thing a little wider!)

Awyeah. Let's motor.

We have pacified the wild Renee! She leads us all back to the Visitor Center.

I... guess that when a crab freaks out and burrows into the sand to get away from you, that means it's happy.

The crab's antics make Renee giggle.

: I don't know how to thank you guys enough!

: Bye, guys! Oh, and visit the park whenever you want. I'm giving you guys free passes for life!!!

: Neat! Thanks!

Sam waves goodbye. Probably in relief.

Right.

Let's... let's just go.

Well, okay, first let's paint Ms. Prissykins' tower a delightful shade of green argyle under cover of darkness. Then we'll go.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Let's wrap things up here, for it is time to move on!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Wrap-Up: Renee's Nature Preserve

Renee is the only Sim on this island! Animals apparently do not count.

I see Renee has remembered that she has a pig.

... so! What else is here?

If we keep pulling up weeds all through the night, we will eventually get a figure of Tim, who is a cute kid in a puppy hat! His figure will randomly turn up under the second weed in a weeding chain.

And if we keep fishing at the fishing spot, we will eventually pull out Chef Watanabe, because this is a thing that happens. (There is something else that we can fish up here, as well, but I'm still keeping that a secret for increasingly-silly reasons.)

If Sam slinks off behind the giant cat tower and turns the camera juuuuust right... huh.

Yoink! We have an orchid! What we'll do with this, I have no idea!

Also, while there are several clams on this island, only this one drops anything interesting.

A present! It is...

A new scroll!

In point of fact, a Clam Shell Scroll! HEY LYNDSAY

: Great! Let's see what new wand powers we'll unlock!

It contains a Garden Gnome, a Lucky Kitty, and BACON PAINT. BACON PAAAAAINT

And... I guess we should probably finish up this Garden Scroll that Lyndsay has been carrying around for ages.

And lo, Sam gets a Tidy Flowerbed, a Jardiniere, and some Floral Wallpaper Paint.

That's all! Let's go say goodbye to Renee what do you mean she went to bed already

Gasp!

Starting next update we will all have a yee-haw good time at Cowboy Junction!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 21: Varmint Bacon

Right. We're done here. Let's get--

BACON

RAW BACON IN THE NIIIIIGHT

BACON IS FOR AND/OR OF PIGS

MMM BACON

... no, Sam

BACON FOR KITTIES oh crap the sun is coming up and Sam is almost out of Mana

BACK TO THE BOAT BEFORE RENEE WAKES UP

--as I was saying (before I was so rudely interrupted by BACON) let's get the heck out of Dodge!

sailing, sailing~

Whoops, we were sailing the wrong way! Silly me.

(The boat can be freely rotated during loading screens.)

: Wow, for real?

Pause.

: That was sarcasm, Buddy. There's probably *cowboys* in Cowboy Junction.

: Ohhhhh...

Buddy thinks for a minute.

: Hey Lyndsay, know what? I'm a Fish Man!

: Is that right?

: ...

Sam silently proclaims that he does not know either of them, and with that, we arrive at Cowboy Junction!

Turns out Lyndsay was wrong: Cowboy Junction is populated by pizza chefs.

And grizzled old prospector/blacksmiths with wonky eyes.

And anxious bee-girls with cows.

And Sams and Co.

: Neat! I want to meet a cow!

Lyndsay turns to Sam.

: Where should we go first, Sam?

Sam, however, does not answer, because we all suddenly become aware of a constant YIP YIP YAHOO! commotion approaching from behind.

A cowgirl with long red braids rides her hobbyhorse up to us, pulling up sharply in a cloud of dust.

She then PULLS HER FINGERGUNS ON US oh crap. (... inasmuch as she... has fingers.)

Pause.

Man! How are we going to get out of this one?

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: And lo, the truth shall be the varmints' shield, and there shall be pizza for none...

---

Video: YIP YIP YAHOO
Also featuring random banjos, PEW PEW fingerguns, and incredibly adorable yoo-hooing!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 22: Who Was That Masked Man?

Sam winces and waves his hands, all 'nuh-uh not us no way'.

... you are the worst sheriff. :allears:

: I'm Sheriff Ginny! Welcome ta Cowboy Junction, folks. Y'all caught me on patrol!

Rope tricks!

Sheriff Ginny slumps and sighs heavily.

: *sigh* I sure wish somethin' excitin' would happen. The only thing ta do 'round here is take Gino's pizza tour.

Buddy jumps for joy and turns to Sam, hands flailing.

: Ooh, Sam! We have GOT to do the pizza tour! Maybe there's free samples!

: You know how Buddy feels about free samples, Sam. And Gino's pizza IS world-famous...

Sam nods. Pizza tour for us!

: Hooray! Let's look for Chef Gino!

: Have fun, y'all! Ah gotta get back on patrol.

And thus Sheriff Ginny mounts her trusty steed and gallops away. Fun fact: in the original MySims Ginny was not a cowboy sheriff. She was a pirate! I guess she's repented of her evil pirate-y ways or something.

oh hey we were just about to go looking for you

Meanwhile: hm.

Hmmmmm.

Ginny just cannot figure Buddy out. But we are here for PIZZA.

: You must be here for the tour! Please follow me to my farm and I'll show you how real pizza is made!

Woo hoo, says Sam. Pizza!

Chef Gino heads out, up these steps, and we follow him.

We pass this guy heading out as we head in. A real live cowboy! Yay!

Pause.

While Gino frowns and dithers over his mill, a grizzled old prospector wanders in, intent on mining one of them there nearby rocks.

Hm, says Gabby.

He goes to take a closer look at the mill.

A very close look. Finally, he comes to a conclusion.

Oh no!

Dun dun dunnnnn!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Who could have stolen Gino's gears? Some day we'll figure that out, but for now, it's up to Sam to fix some things!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 23: It Is A Beverly Hills Cop Joke

Gabby turns to Sam.

: Nope. You'll need more than gears to fix this here mess.

Gino promptly bursts into tears.

: No! I am ruined!! Is this the end of Gino's pizza?!

: Easy, Chef, ain't no call fer all that caterwaulin'.

Gabby turns back to Sam.

: Listen, Sam was it? I got a Scroll here that'll teach ya how to make the parts ya need.

Of course you do.

: Y'all just scamper off and gather what you need fer this Scroll. Gabby's got some rocks to hit wih this here pickaxe.

: A new Scroll! C'mon, Sam, let's see what powers we can unlock...

The powers of Metal and Amber, I guess!

And Sam should do some of that.

The mining wall by Gino's outdoor pizzeria has nothing really new in it: Metal, Bronze, Silver, and Mana. Still, it's Metal we need, so this is plenty.

The treasure finder also pulls up the usual Amber, Stone, and the occasional Onyx. And with that, we have everything we need.

Sam pauses to shake a tree. It drops... Musical Note Essences. We do not question this. Instead, we go to speak to Lyndsay.

... welp. (doo, doo, doo de doo doo doo)

: Great! Let's complete this Scroll and then go tell Gino!

Sam is granted something called a Set of Axles, which are basically metal sticks of varying lengths. Let's take them to Gino.

: Oh, you finished! Excellent! Gabby, if you would be so kind as to explain how to use these wonderful new blocks that Sam here unlocked...

oh hey a tutorial I didn't miss these

The camera scrolls over to an empty rack that used to have gears on it.

: Then just connect up these parts here usin' gears, just like yer used to doin'.

At least Gabby is succinct about it.

So, yes, to connect gears end-on, we need metal sticks. Whoopee.

stick stick stick gear gear done!

And now the mill works!

: It's spinning again! The tour can continue! Watch as I demonstrate my magnificent flour milling skills. Then on to the tomato patch!

Gino tosses in a little hank of wheat.

Then waits approximately forever while the mill grinds around and white dust billows out.

And eventually he reaches in and pulls out a bag of flour! That is a heck of a mill. (It also spits out a couple of Organic Essences for Sam's magic pockets, because of course it does.) Now that we have flour, it's time to check out some tomatoes!

Sam follows Gino over to the tomato patch--

--oh, that can't be good.

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: What is Gino panicking about now?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 24: Yes, We Have No Tomatoes

: My precious tomatoes have dried in the sun! How revolting! Please, Sam, go ask Gabby if he can help us with this new problem as well.

Okay, but only because you said 'please'!

: OK, Sam, I got a Scroll that'll teach ya how to build all those stolen parts.

Of course you do!

Well, of course. What better to build water pipes out of than fish.

So, yeah, there's a fishing spot right here.

Where we can catch crabs!

And grumpy bass again!

And piranha! Oh, good, Sam will just stuff those in his magic pants, no problem. To Lyndsay!

Sure did.

: Great! Sprinklers, here we come!

sparkle sparkle

And, lo, Sam gets a Water Pump, Sprinklers, T Pipes, Elbow Pipes, and Long and Short Pipes. We are gonna move some water around, by golly.

: I'll let Gabby cover the details, of course...

: But to power the pump, ya gotta attach it to somethin' spinnin'!

... other people can see those? :eek:

:allears:

Putting down a water pump and hooking it to the windmill means that water starts to pour out of the pipe. All we have to do now is to get that water to touch all these plants.

Sam has directed the water close enough to a tomato plant, so it is now handsome and full of tomatoes. We don't absolutely have to use the sprinkler heads, but they do make the water spray further and hit a larger area.

Like so.

Sam builds a perfectly ridiculous self-supporting pipe dream that sprays immense amounts of water out in all directions with great force!

And eventually all the tomato plants are drowning in water.

Hoorah!

But first, Sam will pick a nice tomato for himself. It magically turns into Organic Essence. Now then!

We follow Gino up along this path until he comes into sight of a little yellow house.

We arrive, interrupting Roxie's anti-dust diatribe.

: Hi Roxie! Got any fresh bottles of milk today? These delightful visitors are on my World-Famous PIzza Tour!

Roxie puts her broom away and waves a cheery hello in Sam's direction.

: Oh, Gino! If only I did.

The camera zooms dramatically away.

... :what:

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Hyaa!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 25: Hyaa!

Roxie brightens up.

: Wandolier? Why didn't you say so? Getting my farm in order will be no problem, then!

: Indeed! I'm not ruined after all! Sam, can you help Roxie out?

Well, one of you could say 'please', at least.

I guess she bluescreened.

: Please, take this Scroll so you can learn to build my fence pieces! Help my poor li'l cows!

Eeeeyup.

oh hey a pineapple tree

Buddy is fascinated by mining. Back to Lyndsay!

FENCEPOWER

: With this stuff we can keep those rascally cows from escaping again! Let's go tell Roxie!

Lo, Sam unlocks a Wooden Archway and a Wooden Bridge Rail (which looks oddly fence-like). Back to Roxie!

: Alright! Now you need to rebuild the cow pen. And don't forget the stairs for Clarabelle! She does love the view on top of that cliff.

COWSTAIRS

So, yes, red goals everywhere and all Sam has to do is fill them in.

When he's done, we have a small cow pen with two entrances.

And some cowstairs.

And a cow! Roxie has three cows: Annabelle, Clarabelle, and Tuffy.

And a chest! With a present inside!

It is a scroll! This scroll, as we'll see, is meant to be a Learning Experience. But that comes later. First, we need to go report in.

: Fantastic! Good as new!

Some day I will stop taking gratuitous shots of Sam's panic face, but today is not that day.

... Buddy, what are you doing

Anyway! Now is the time on Sprockets when we herd cows.

We do this by running up behind a cow and yelling 'Hyaa!' The cow then runs away from Sam in a more-or-less straight line. Cows will also amble away from Sam on their own initiative, but yelling 'Hyaa!' and making them scramble is funnier.

There's one. Annabelle and Clarabelle will both veer off and enter the pen on their own, so all Sam has to do is Hyaa! them into the general vicinity of a gate.

There's two! Now we have to go get Tuffy.

Tuffy is a rascal, just like Roxie said. She doesn't want to go back into her pen, so Sam has to chase her directly into a gate--and the other cows are totally not above Hyaa!ing their butts right back out if Sam gets too close in the process. :doh:

Finally, after a prolonged and ridiculous scramble, Sam manages to shove all three cows back into their pen, where they will generally stay despite the lack of gates because of... magnetism or something. Hooray, we're a success.

And Roxie heads off to do just that...

... but what's this?

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: We find out what that is!

---

Video: Hyaa! Goddammit! Hyaa!
Watch as Sam chases cows off cliffs and through rivers and up stairs and occasionally straight back out of their drat pen!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 26: Rank Up!

Sam turns around and around, searching for the source of the chittering noise.

Whoops, guess he figured it out.

Guillermo arrives, startling the heck out of Sam. Lyndsay just waves hi.

And Guillermo safely delivers his burden into the hands of the Royal Messenger.

: 'News of your deeds has spread like strawberry icing over a moist, chocolate cupcake. Well done!'

Sam cheers and looks very proud of himself. As well he should: our good deeds have filled the meter with King Points and Sam has ranked up! He is now a Level 2 Wandolier! ... King Roland really got into the King Points thing after a while.

: 'It seems you have accomplished much in a very short time! Everyone back home is very proud.'

Lyndsay snatches the map away from Buddy and unrolls it.

And the clouds clear away from--

--an island named ROCKET REEF ohh dang.

: Rocket Reef? Sounds exciting! Once we're done here we should check it out!

And we will! We are also granted a new outfit and some new hairstyles, which we'll look at later.

: I guess that old pigeon can be useful after all...

Buddy salutes Guillermo.

: Thanks, pal!

Sam waves as Guillermo takes his fluttery leave.

: Alright, Sam, let's get back to it!

Sam nods. I think we were about to go watch Roxie milk a cow!

Roxie is so happy that her cows have been corralled.

She bends down and sticks her hands under a smiling cow.

And produces a nice bottle of milk! Everything in this kingdom is so sanitary--it's probably even already pasteurized.

Milk for you!

Let's... just take that bottle of milk back to Chef Gino.

And off he goes. Nothing suspicious about that at all, let's leave him aaahahaha nope, we're followin' along.

Gabby is just hanging out by his little blacksmith's shack, scratching his back with his pick-ax.

Secrecy! Conspiracy! Dun dun dun!

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: What is Gino's 'special order'? Why the secrecy? Why--AAA VARMINT ATTACK

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Welp, I seem to have caught some kind of disease, so I'm going to take a couple of days off to hide under the covers and feel sorry for myself. Updates should resume... maybe Friday, probably Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Right, then! Where were we?

Ep. 27: Burning His Bridges Behind Him

Gino grimaces and waves his arms, trying to make Gabby hush.

Gino looks around, terror in his eyes. Did anyone hear that? Apparently not!

Gabby heads out. Sam heads in.

Nope, didn't hear a thing, la la.

: Ooh... I hope he can be discreet...

Gino's going to just hang around the blacksmith's shack and worry, so let's follow Gabby instead. He's up here.

Gasp! Point!

: Durn shabby bridgework. Build me another one, Sam! And make this one good 'n' sturdy!

He's so mad. :allears:

... I'm just going to pretend that Gabby can see red goals because his droopy eye is MAGIC and you can't stop me.

Anyway, Sam builds a bridge. Or half of one. Now he needs more Mana. To Lyndsay!

And he walks face-first into an argument! Eventually it dies down and Sam can cash in some Essences.

Dang, that is a fine bridge.

: Thanks fer tha help, Sam. Time to make that order for Chef.

ooh ooh where you goin' can I come

um

Oh, is that what that was.

Let's go see what's up here!

A treasure chest full of sapphires!

And a piano scroll! Hey, something to do with all those Musical Notes.

A second mining spot, too! This one is largely the same as the first, but it also drops those blue things, which are called Electrobits. Because if there's one thing I always associate with cowboys, it's computer parts.

Anyway, Gabby's finished mining. Let's go see what's up.

Horseshoe!

Gabby hammers on the horseshoe for a while, then tosses it into the trough. It hisses as it hits the water.

: Alright, Chef. One lucky horseshoe. Jus' let it cool fer a second and it's all yers.

: Yes! Yes! Of course!

... uh oh.

The varmint looks around for witnesses, then snatches something out of the water.

He pauses to laugh evilly, then leaves.

why, that low-down lily-livered yellow-bellied sapsucker

... wh-what did I just say

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Consarn that hoss-shoe rustler--now we needs us a posse.

• Locked thread