Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The whole "bought the old indycar within the last 90 days" thing is dumb. I might pick up the DW12 sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Still not as cringeworty as when the announcers say I hopes hes alright after a crash.

I wish they would just acknowledge they're playing drat internet racecars already. Anything else is obscenely stupid.

Maybe the announcer is watching through an oculus and thinks it's real.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
From May 27th to June 30th you can join iRacing for 3 months for 12 dollars with the code: PR-JoshWise98

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The tow itself is not instant. Are you sure it was repairing and you just didn't have tires and fuel selected?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The person could have got some oversteer and wasn't able to correct it. I've noticed that unless you are really careful before the tires warm up, the car just snaps to overteer on the corners.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bentai posted:

I'm not at my home computer so I can't test that for you right now, but I think in 2nd gear you can just go flat foot all the way up the rpm hill.

You can but it will be slower than going from first. I know this form experience.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People take it seriously. Try going on to the forum and call iracing a game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
iRating always counts. It is hidden while you are a rookie so it's not something you have to worry about. Rookies is for learning how to drive safe and get your SR up to 3 so you can promote to D and then it shows your iRating.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why is it that even the road events end up being ovals?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wow, the MX-5 is actually fun to drive now. I was annoyed in the last update where they made the tires poo poo for it. It's pretty planted and an overall good experience. The brakes aren't what I'm used to. Though I spend most my time in the skip and the star mazda.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Were those MPR/SR races? If so, you should protest that guy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unless you have a video of him saying "I'm going to run into you" while he does it, they chalk it up as a racing incident.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A lot of pro drivers in the oval series don't use force feedback. You don't really need it. If you are doing a road series on the other hand, you really need force feed back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think there is an option for that. It's in the settings.ini and not in the menu. You'll have to search through it might be look to corner or something. Maybe I'm just thinking of a different game. Though using that setting would be weird for me because my steering wheel would still be in front of me but the view is changing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It happens if someone else has a terrible connection. Usually it is someone who won't use voice chat or text and is driving like an idiot. iRacing is supposed to boot them from the game if their connection gets too bad but it often doesn't. Just stay away from them because there's not much you can do about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Torabi posted:

Oh, alright. Figured they should at least be different a little bit since they are different cars. Is it just that the cars really are very similar or that iracing doesn't bother simulating them properly?

By the way, there doesn't seem to be any sessions at all for Nascar Iracing Series. At least not when I'm looking. I see sessions for the nascar trucks though. Maybe I should just get a truck and go full redneck.

Stock Car racing is designed so every car is as identical as possible aside from set up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's a difference between laser scanning and iRacing laser scanning. The picture posted there is a car mounted laser scanner. iRacing doesn't do this because it's not accurate enough. They only use tripods.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think they do it mostly in the case that one day they can add more detail. They will always have the super detailed scan and they don't have to go back to the track to rescan it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When you load up the car it will say "This car uses your Sequential/H-Patter shifter." You don't have to use the paddles, you can use any sequential shifter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The driving aids will slow you down. Turn off everything in the settings menu. On the other hand, some cars (like the Z4) have traction control. This can be helpful if they've modeled it correctly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You don't have to use the clutch to shift anything in iRacing which is kind of lame. Some cars use paddles, some use a sequential shift lever. You'll mostly have to just look around the cockpit and see what the car you're driving uses and see if it has three pedals. There was a website that said what each car uses but I forget.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can keep racing in advanced legends. Just race until you hit D4.0. When do you that, you can participate in C class races and use that to make your MPR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really hope you saved the replay, and if you didn't ask other people that were in the race. All that stuff is protestable, but contact after the checkered is super bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If the other person races regularly, all you have to do is look at their race history. If it drops off for a week or two, you know you did something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

thehacker0 posted:

Is it really worth it to do so, given the hit your irating would take once you graduate to whatever C class ovals you head to next?

No matter what you do, your iRating will always normal back up to where you are supposed to be. Get up to D4.0 and start racing Indy. Once you learn the car and get some clean races in, your iRating will come back.

Lord Crapulus posted:

So far the combination of CotA and the L79 has led to one spiked and broken headset. loving slow corners and pyramids.

To be fair, the scanned it during ALMS or WEC or whatever and it has those stupid pyramids. They really should offer different options or change the pyramids to something that works for open wheel cars as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Street stocks on charlotte doesn't require driving any kind of line to be fast. Just hug that inside yellow line the entire time and no one will be able to pass unless to drop onto the apron and then you can protest them when they spin you out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My worst was someone in the default gray car mashing the gas before the pace lap started. He spun into the wall instantly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The best part is the idiots who drive under the guy flipping around the track and nearly get hit, then the guy that does get hit. I'm sure he was whining about the guy flipping around causing a collision.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's definitely a car you have to drive around a bit then step away from and go back to. That's how I learned it. I got in it, drove around Road Atlanta and it was terrible. I regretted buying such a lovely car, how could anyone like it. Then I got back in the next day and was a hundred times better at it. You have to get used to how it handles and then let your muscle memory work it out overnight and come back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's not a rookie series, it's a "anyone can join" series. It uses content that you don't need yet. Do the street stocks or miata cup. both of those use entirely free content.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, it's 26 dollars for one car and the track.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Playing a few seasons of Skip Barber really fleshed my track selection out. Racing fixed Indy got me to buy some oval tracks and then I bought a couple because of Star Mazda (but still haven't really raced it yet). It's expensive, but if you buy one track a month, it's not bad. When you think about what you get for 12-15 bucks, it's not bad. They painstakingly laser scan every track and then add in every detail they can think of to make sure it's exactly how it would be driving the real thing. Same thing with the cars. It's not like they throw some tape on a car and pretend to scan it and do a horrible job like the Forza team does.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What? You unlock a series by being at the right license level. You only need the track for the current week. I was racing fixed Indy and only had like two of the tracks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you plan on racing the skip, you aren't really wasting money when buying tracks. There's a good chance some other series you will race in some day will use that track. Even if you stick with the skip, the series will go back to that track eventually. A track is in the rotation for three seasons then it's out. That means every season there are new tracks added. If people enjoyed a track one time, chances are it will be added back a few seasons later in a different configuration.

Martin Peck, the de-facto leader of the Skip series tries really hard to make sure it's as easy for people to get into as possible. No matter what, you will be able to race three weeks out of the season because there's always three (though sometimes two) free tracks in the schedule. After that you can buy one or two tracks a month to complete the 8 weeks minimum to get participation credits without breaking the bank.

iRacing is a big commitment at the start but it get's easier once you own more tracks. Eventually you will buy a car and find out you own most if not all of the tracks in the schedule. It's a serious sim with a big community. I guarantee you won't be able to get the same kind of racing in Assetto Corsa or pCARS. Even though those games are cheaper, and look nicer, they will never be the same experience as iRacing.

If you are serious about getting into sim racing, iRacing isn't a bad investment. Don't listen to the people who get pissed off at having to buy things and then quit without even getting into the racing and the community.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 22, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anyone know why iRacing is down? Is it broken or are they doing a maintenance update?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hopefully they slipped in Rift support with it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I doubt that would ever happen. Not enough people would do it to justify the costs of scanning a track like that. People have been clamoring for dirt tracks for years and it's still not in. Also, if you post that on the forums, prepared to get yelled at by spergs for no reason. Because simply having something in the game (don't call it that) that they don't like ruins it for them forever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Simpit is really good and it shows who had the talent at ISR. Bonus is that he reviews Fanatec stuff because he isn't a giant crybaby. Darin has been really annoying over the past several months and he brought it all on himself.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have the CSL seat, it's not bad at all. It might tip over if you're trying to stand on the side of it or something. Once you're sitting in it, it's perfectly stable. The only thing I don't like is getting the pedals totally locked down. They only attach at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

invision posted:

How To Get Out Of Rookies:

Start from the pits
go fast, turn left (sometimes right?)
let everyone pass you and give them room
don't run in to other idiots.

Went from low 2's to getting my D license in like 3 races doing this.

How to get out of rookies:
Wait until the track for the week is Charlotte
Start from the pits
You will never see another car
Finish race.

• Locked thread