Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

biznatchio posted:

I bought an additional door opener remote and soldered a Shelly across the button contacts on the remote's board, and put a hall effect sensor on the door to detect open/close state. Works far better than MyQ ever did.
I've got a couple of these, works great for me with home assistant. https://www.athom.tech/blank-1/garage-door-opener-for-esphome

I can open or close the doors from wherever, and I have lights in the garage set to turn on for 10 minutes whenever the door sensors are tripped. Works great. I have sensors for the human doors too but the trim is in such bad shape there's no good way to mount them. Next house I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

TheDK posted:

Anyone know of a good guide to RTSP, webrtc and the like? I am apparently a complete moron and can't figure out how to set my Google Nest, TP-Link and reolink cameras up through RTSP in HASS.

Reolink you may need to install the Windows software to enable the RTSP server.

This is the integration to add RTSP sources.
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/generic/

This will get the nest camera(s)
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/nest/

I use this for the stream cards since it handles realtime much better. It takes some effort to get it working outside your local network though. I use wireguard on my phone.
https://github.com/AlexxIT/WebRTC

TheDK posted:

Anyone know of a good guide to RTSP, webrtc and the like? I am apparently a complete moron and can't figure out how to set my Google Nest, TP-Link and reolink cameras up through RTSP in HASS.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've got an older Ring video doorbell 2nd gen which is battery powered and I don't have a good way to wire it up. It looks like the official little solar charger that sits around the doorbell might still be available, but I'm not sure it'll work great since it's on a covered porch. I see a few generic micro USB solar panels available that might work, like this one. (I would definitely need a right-angle adapter also, but that should be easy enough.) Anyone have any recommendations/experiences with these?

Fortunately the thing does hold a charge pretty well, so I guess the panel doesn't need to perform that well. But this is at an in-laws' rental property so I'm not around to recharge it every few months.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

I've got an older Ring video doorbell 2nd gen which is battery powered and I don't have a good way to wire it up. It looks like the official little solar charger that sits around the doorbell might still be available, but I'm not sure it'll work great since it's on a covered porch. I see a few generic micro USB solar panels available that might work, like this one. (I would definitely need a right-angle adapter also, but that should be easy enough.) Anyone have any recommendations/experiences with these?

Fortunately the thing does hold a charge pretty well, so I guess the panel doesn't need to perform that well. But this is at an in-laws' rental property so I'm not around to recharge it every few months.

I have a couple of similar panels that I use to charge cameras and they've been great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L6D6MFM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CYWCCCY

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The panels keep a couple of my outdoor cams charged surprisingly well, even in the dead of winter. I don’t think I’ve ever had a cam die due to low battery.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

biznatchio posted:

I bought an additional door opener remote and soldered a Shelly across the button contacts on the remote's board, and put a hall effect sensor on the door to detect open/close state. Works far better than MyQ ever did.

I may have posted about it before, but I have the Zooz multirelay+ the ecobee tilt sensor and the responsiveness is amazingly, the MyQ used to take anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours to update the status of the door. for the z-wave setup, it's 1 to 15 seconds at worst, and that might in part be the fault of the homeassistant app since I don't know if it polls at a lower frequency when minimized and on battery saver.

I access Home Assistant over a point-to-point Wireguard VPN tunnel+ WiFi (the app lets you input local and remote IPs for your HA server, so I used its internal IP for home and the VPN internal IP for remote)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TheDK posted:

I have a couple of similar panels that I use to charge cameras and they've been great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L6D6MFM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CYWCCCY

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The panels keep a couple of my outdoor cams charged surprisingly well, even in the dead of winter. I don’t think I’ve ever had a cam die due to low battery.

That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm just starting to get into HomeKit and like it. I also have HomeBridge set up so I can have a couple of Dyson fans on it too.

I have a hydroponic pump scheduled to run throughout the day. I'd like to set it up so I can override that schedule if a certain scene is set ("movie mode", so the pump isn't running while I'm watching a movie) but of course you can't set multiple conditions in the Home app. Is there a way I could do this with HomeBridge?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm just starting to get into HomeKit and like it. I also have HomeBridge set up so I can have a couple of Dyson fans on it too.

I have a hydroponic pump scheduled to run throughout the day. I'd like to set it up so I can override that schedule if a certain scene is set ("movie mode", so the pump isn't running while I'm watching a movie) but of course you can't set multiple conditions in the Home app. Is there a way I could do this with HomeBridge?
HomeKit actually has a bunch more built-in functionality that isn't exposed in Apple's Home app that does let you include additional qualifiers along with more fine-grained control e.g. you can actually just set the power state for a light as on/off instead of having the 'off' state save the colour information like the Home app does.

I'm sure there's a whole bunch of apps that you can use to get to this stuff but I personally use Controller for HomeKit as it has both an iOS and Mac version and works great. There are a few things that it's not able to do because they're reserved for Apple only but you can always just use the Home app alongside it when you run into that stuff (it'll tell you if it can't do something that's reserved).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It sounds great but I was hoping to do this without spending $65 on a single automation if it's possible

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It sounds great but I was hoping to do this without spending $65 on a single automation if it's possible
Like I said, I'm sure there are other apps that can do the same thing since it's all supported by the HomeKit API. Looking around it seems that the Eve app (doesn't require you to have any of Elgato's Eve products to use and the iPad version can run on Apple Silicon Macs) can set up multiple conditions on rules so I'd imagine you can just add a 'scene is not active' in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Well, I have been really, really lazy about actually figuring out a way to set up Home Assistant without making too much effort and been stymied so far, the previously failed plan was running it in docker on the 18-core Xeon work station with 128GB of RAM that we have fun, failed plans like running Home Assistant in Docker and instead just eats electricity.

Holy poo poo, Synology now supports Home Assistant in Docker, it took like 10 minutes to get it running in a super easy user interface on our NAS which we already use constantly.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 23, 2024