Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Next-Gen posted:

Edit: just be sure you get the US versions of them, as they do sell chinese ones as well. Foscam is alright too, with some new models out that are okay but not great.

To expand on this, if you do not buy hikvision from an authorized retailer you have zero warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

we have Aliexpress $35 720p IP cameras and blue iris at the shop. It works pretty well, considering how cheap it is. By far, the biggest expense is the PC to run it all on.

Also, the china cameras lose time and are kind of pieces of poo poo, but you don't notice once it's set up and Blue Iris is taking care of "details" like time.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

RIP Paul Walker posted:

we have Aliexpress $35 720p IP cameras and blue iris at the shop. It works pretty well, considering how cheap it is. By far, the biggest expense is the PC to run it all on.

Also, the china cameras lose time and are kind of pieces of poo poo, but you don't notice once it's set up and Blue Iris is taking care of "details" like time.

Care to link which model you've got? There's shitlaods on Aliexpress.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

SLOSifl posted:

Hue integrates with Nest now. Hopefully a sign of more similar integrations. I have just enough different devices now that having them all talk is important. I'd like my lights to come on if it's dark out and my smart lock opens, etc.

From here:
https://nest.meethue.com

quote:

In case of an alarm, the lights will flash red before going to a dimmed red state which is best to help you navigate in smoky environments.

You burnt the roast: red alert!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Next-Gen posted:

Yeah, there's an ONVIF standard for ip cameras that ensures interopability with NVRs. A lot of the newer cloud ones like Nest and Samsung are using custom tcp, but if you look at hikvision/dahua/swann etc they should all be able to stream by accessing via rtsp or http. The urls may be different but apps like tinycam keep a giant database of camera models so you just type it in and it knows where to go.

Personally I'd go with Hikvision (or LaView, one of their US rebrand distributors), as they have good software and image quality.

Edit: just be sure you get the US versions of them, as they do sell chinese ones as well. Foscam is alright too, with some new models out that are okay but not great.

Thanks, this helps me out. It looks like a lot of the cheaper home brands like D-link offer the rtsp/http options as well. I'll look at the ones you've suggested.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Slash posted:

Care to link which model you've got? There's shitlaods on Aliexpress.

We've got a few different ones, and they're all basically the same - same firmware, etc.

If I had something better than an iPhone 5 running iOS 9 on throttled Cricket I'd look it up, but it's too painful to internet right now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a separate robot/roomba thread somewhere on the forums or is this the closest we've got?

Basically I have an issue with my 5xx pet series, it'll work about as well as usual mostly, but then it'll just drop these bunches of dust/dog fur/whatever in neat bunches in several places around the room:

I guess it's better to have that in one place I can pick up, but still. I checked and cleaned the brushes but it seems to have only marginally improved the situation at best.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there a separate robot/roomba thread somewhere on the forums or is this the closest we've got?

Basically I have an issue with my 5xx pet series, it'll work about as well as usual mostly, but then it'll just drop these bunches of dust/dog fur/whatever in neat bunches in several places around the room:

I guess it's better to have that in one place I can pick up, but still. I checked and cleaned the brushes but it seems to have only marginally improved the situation at best.

You said you checked and cleaned the brushes, but may have some stuff wound around the axel that is slowing/halting the rotation so make sure you check that. Otherwise it might be getting overloaded?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons I'm moving into a new apartment soon and will hire an electrician to add in some ethernet drops and wire the place.

Since it's my first new home I plan to splurge and make it an awesome goon base. I have been doing some research on cams and I'm thinking of a high quality 1080p PoE Ipcam - Anyone have recommendations? I have found the axis and some of my friends like it for their work environment.

I also want to buy a smart lock, the august system looks good but I'm thinking of going for the Samsung one with keypad, rfid. But the august system with the integrated cam looks awesome!

The biggest pain for me is to integrate everything together and have a smooth running system. I'm looking for recording events to a NAS, integrating the door lock with a camera, linking up guess wireless access to guest lock profiles (with traffic monitoring), and other home automation systems together

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

caberham posted:

Hey goons I'm moving into a new apartment soon and will hire an electrician to add in some ethernet drops and wire the place.

Since it's my first new home I plan to splurge and make it an awesome goon base. I have been doing some research on cams and I'm thinking of a high quality 1080p PoE Ipcam - Anyone have recommendations? I have found the axis and some of my friends like it for their work environment.

I also want to buy a smart lock, the august system looks good but I'm thinking of going for the Samsung one with keypad, rfid. But the august system with the integrated cam looks awesome!

The biggest pain for me is to integrate everything together and have a smooth running system. I'm looking for recording events to a NAS, integrating the door lock with a camera, linking up guess wireless access to guest lock profiles (with traffic monitoring), and other home automation systems together

I've installed about a dozen of the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I PoE IP cameras indoors and outdoors for myself, friends, and family. While they are a little annoying to configure they are fantastic, inexpensive cameras. They don't come set to DHCP and have a goofy network address so you have to setup a little temporary network on that subnet to configure them but after that, piece of cake. PoE works perfectly and the quality is great.

For camera monitoring and recording just get Blue Iris and stop there. It's that awesome. Synology and WD NAS devices work fine for storage in my experience. I recommend recording to a NAS that is hidden away somewhere out of site and sound. If someone does break in and steals your Blue Iris computer, you lost that footage. The NAS should be stashed away with the video on it. Also configure Blue Iris to save the alert snapshots to a Dropbox or Google Drive folder so it automatically syncs to ~THE CLOUD~.

I haven't researched smart locks yet but plan to. Home automation is on my to do list as well and I've done some research. I'm interested in the SmartThings hub or the Mi Casa Verde VeraLite with a long list of Z-wave devices.

Newer ASUS wifi routers do guests networks painlessly.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Great tips,

found a video of the product you mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEqDgamxgnM

I actually live in China and see lots of cheaper alternatives of networking gear but the software, the finishing and components are mostly garbage with bad software security. Compare with the canon VB-S31D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ZvcKmFZjw

Of course there is also a big difference in price but I live in a small 530 square feet flat and won't have too many units :smith:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I love my August lock. I also wish it was more connected to my home, I'll explain.

Pros: When I come home, the front door unlocks, usually well before I actually get to it. I don't carry a house key at all. The key still works, so I can let my mom keep a copy at her house for emergencies. It's easy to add people as guests (assuming they actually download the app when they get the text message) for short-term or scheduled entry. I have it set to auto-lock after 5 minutes, so I never have to worry about locking the door.

Cons: I wish the lock had at least a door-closed sensor so it wouldn't auto-lock when open, and could integrate with my alarm system. I wish it didn't need a dongle for remote access (the device itself is bluetooth only AFAIK). It would be nice if it integrated with Hue or Amazon Echo or HomeKit or something so I could hook it all together (unlock the door through an Echo, blink the lights when the door unlocks).

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I got a Yale Security YRD240-ZW-619 deadbolt with a SmartThings hub to pair it with. I can toggle the lock with the SmartThings app, or use a PIN via the touchscreen. I can also grant and revoke guest PINs. In the event the battery dies while you're locked out, you can give it a jump with a 9V battery. I'm pleased with it.

I should note that my first SmartThings hub died after one night, but I'm hoping that's a fluke. Its replacement has been working fine for at least a month.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Since I'm horribly irresponsible with money and I had $180 sitting on my Verizon gift card balance, their website had one of these available to purchase with my credit: http://www.kwikset.com/kevo/default.aspx It'll be here Wednesday...

We hardly ever use the front door to go in and out and just use the garage door. We keep our garage door locked as well when we are both gone. Of course, I usually have things in my hands and I am marginally inconvenienced by rooting around for my house key to unlock the door to enter the house. That deserves an expensive rear end battery powered Bluetooth deadbolt, right? Right.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I've got some cabinets and drawers that I'd like to lock up. Before I start drilling holes, I was wondering if there was a way to do it electronically. Looks pretty easy to source a solenoid latch, but I haven't found an easy way to connect that to a smart anything. Does anything like that exist?

Ideally I'd like to setup a hub, then the locks in the cabinets or drawers, then I could open and lock them electronically as well as monitor battery levels.

More complicated than a standard key'd lock, but it would save me putting a hole in the front of the furniture.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

http://www.rutherfordcontrols.com/en/products/electric-locks/

Pair one of those with an HID edge?

Might be a bit expensive, and you need to run power, though.

Assa has a wireless battery powered version, but that's even more expensive.

You're cutting holes no matter how you slice it, really.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

http://www.rutherfordcontrols.com/en/products/electric-locks/

Pair one of those with an HID edge?

Might be a bit expensive, and you need to run power, though.

Assa has a wireless battery powered version, but that's even more expensive.

You're cutting holes no matter how you slice it, really.

Fundamentally you have a locking element, like a solenoid latch or something more complicated, a power supply, and whatever triggers the lock. You can get a keypad, or a push button, or whatever. Fairly straight forward to run something like an Arduino and a solenoid off a battery back, but I'd rather not be building out a bunch of units if something off the shelf exists.

I basically need the equivalent of a battery powered zigbee/zwave/whatever switch. Then "unlock" would be to close the switch for 3 seconds. Bonus points if the zigbee/zwave/whatever could also house the battery pack and report back power levels, but not the worst thing if not.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I understand the concept. I'm just saying all the off the shelf solutions I know of are geared towards enterprise environments and aren't really what you're looking for.

I definitely wouldn't recommend building something without a key backup unless you want to rip the doors off when the battery dies.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Welp, down the rabbit hole I go. I acquired a Smartthings controller with a motion sensor, siren, and entry sensor. I replaced my bedroom light switch with a GE dimmer module and the lamp with a dimmable LED bulb. I was just going to experiment with a type of self-monitored alarm system using it as well as some simple automation. The siren is freaking loud and the strobe is cool. I enjoyed freaking out my wife reading on the couch by turning on the strobe from my bedroom. I told her that was the "I need coffee alarm" heh.

Once I had Smart Lights setup to recognize my morning mode and presence with the motion sensor to turn on or off the bedroom light as I go in and out during the morning, I was hooked. I love being able to use all of the apps available to create logic for scenarios. I have it detect when I get home in the evening and if it is 30 minutes before sunset, to turn on the bedroom light before I even enter since I keep my house pretty dark.

Two more dimmer modules, a plug-in switch, and two more motion sensors purchased the next day. I'd like to mess with the dry contact switches to perhaps hook to my garage door and maybe rig up a red/green light to verify if the alarm mode is armed or disarmed. Lots of things you can do with this stuff. If Hue wasn't so drat expensive, I could see having fun with color changing scenarios. Maybe I'll mess with RGBW LED strips.

Monoprice Z-wave sensors work perfectly fine for much cheaper than the name brand. I'm sure these are actually the name brand anyway and just unlabeled. They show up as Aeon Labs devices.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I work in the home security, home automation industry. Specifically for one of the big players. Feel free to ask me any general questions if you're curious. I'm mostly familiar with Z-Wave.

You may knock the subscription services, but it ensures that the company will stick around and continue to deliver new features/products. Look at all of the smaller players going out of business. Unless you have a massive backing, you aren't going to make money.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 6, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm starting to wonder if there's better alternatives out there. My SmartThings is a convenience, but I wouldn't rely on it for home security. My motion-triggered night light routine is already pretty unreliable, so I can't imagine what it'd be like for people with sirens and the like.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I definitely wouldn't rely on any Internet based system for security if felt I needed a true security system. A monitored service with a cellular connected base is the way to go there.

I've done all I can really do here to keep my Internet from going out such as securing the incoming cable line to the house so it isn't exposed to be cut easily and having a UPS on Smartthings, the cable modem/router, and my computer. I also have a camera system setup with Blue Iris that stores the video streams on a NAS hidden away on its own UPS as well. I figure if the Smartthings "alarm" doesn't scare them off, I'll at least have video and snapshots.

It's about balancing peace of mind and cost for me. I had a monitored home alarm for years, but even when I had a false alarm that I thought was the real deal and I had the monitoring service dispatch police, they didn't show up for 3 hours. The guy said it's pretty typical of alarm calls in the city limits unfortunately due to the lower priority because of all of the false alarms. With a self monitored system, I'm 10 minutes away at work and I'm a CCW holder.

Smartthings v1 relies strictly on the Internet connection and their hosting for the tasks it does. Their service is getting better since Samsung bought them but for more reliability I'd go with v2 or another controller that can still function without Internet if the security part is more important. That or maybe they'll come out with a cellular backup for it or something.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a network router for the house that has dual WAN for fail over and have the second one on a mobile broadband device, but there I am again with a monthly fee for that and I'm not keeping gold bars in the house or anything to really care THAT much about a security system. Just what I have to attempt to scare them away is enough for me. I have insurance.

Foe Hammer
Feb 6, 2016

Strategy is for people that don't have Swords! Play devil’s advocate even when you know you’re wrong because a blog where everyone agrees is boring!
I shop for everything here, after I find what I want be sure to price check as amazon often has better deals.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/

they also have a monitoring service for like $15-$20 a month.

here is a link for the auto dialers. (they dial whatever numbers you want) I believe they have one where you can press # and have it dial the police and notify them of a break in.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/alarm-systems/alarm-accessories/dialers-voice-cellular

Foe Hammer
Feb 6, 2016

Strategy is for people that don't have Swords! Play devil’s advocate even when you know you’re wrong because a blog where everyone agrees is boring!
I forgot to mention, if someone truly wants to break in all they have to do is buy one of these.

http://www.twowill.com/productshow....rs-Working-Time

that will jam your alarm system from dialing out via cell phone, cut your phone and internet to block those, break in then cut your siren and they are home free to do what they want.

Cell phone jammers are ILLEGAL but not hard to get, I've also seen internet instructions on how to make them out of a battery, an old cell phone, wireless router & a radio.

So what is the best home security protection? a sign out front of your house and on your doors that say you have an alarm system. lol most criminals are dumb and won't bother with alarmed houses,

The ones that know how to use jammers and what not are robbing richer people. the truly rich though have dedicated alarm system channels so if their signal is interrupted by say a cell jammer or someone cutting the line it is the equivalent to tripping the system.

I'm a CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) and I'm studying for my CEPT or Certified Expert Penetration Tester (yes I know Expert Penetration Tester....) but I get to break into places for my job as we have to hack in via the net or we will attempt to hack or bypass their Access systems (fancy name for door locks & cameras) and plant a sniffer or other back door methods.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

most of the cellular security systems will also have dual path networking on them, so they will either have an Ethernet cable run to the router or wifi connection. It looks like that jammer doesn't handle a lot of spectrum, too but i'm guessing you may be able to find ones that also jam the 700mhz lte spectrum or some of the higherband stuff too.

Either way, the hardest part is probably not knowing which to implement there. In a full system deterrence is really just signs and visible cameras, but you're still gonna have mitigation by using sirens and battery backup and then evidence capture with hidden NVR/NAS of the surveillance footage so even if power is cut and cell is jammed you will be able to recover surveillance of who did it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Foe Hammer posted:

I forgot to mention, if someone truly wants to break in all they have to do is buy one of these.

http://www.twowill.com/productshow....rs-Working-Time

that will jam your alarm system from dialing out via cell phone, cut your phone and internet to block those, break in then cut your siren and they are home free to do what they want.

Cell phone jammers are ILLEGAL but not hard to get, I've also seen internet instructions on how to make them out of a battery, an old cell phone, wireless router & a radio.

So what is the best home security protection? a sign out front of your house and on your doors that say you have an alarm system. lol most criminals are dumb and won't bother with alarmed houses,

The ones that know how to use jammers and what not are robbing richer people. the truly rich though have dedicated alarm system channels so if their signal is interrupted by say a cell jammer or someone cutting the line it is the equivalent to tripping the system.

I'm a CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) and I'm studying for my CEPT or Certified Expert Penetration Tester (yes I know Expert Penetration Tester....) but I get to break into places for my job as we have to hack in via the net or we will attempt to hack or bypass their Access systems (fancy name for door locks & cameras) and plant a sniffer or other back door methods.

What do you do if the cell radio is LTE?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
If you're legitimately at risk of someone cutting your Internet and jamming your alarm system's cell channels you probably have a national intelligence agency after you and they will get you sooner or later.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

What do you do if the cell radio is LTE?

Hah, I got curious and checked. You're talking 300-600 dollars for some of the LTE jammers and a lot of them still don't cover all the bands provided.

Desk Lamp posted:

If you're legitimately at risk of someone cutting your Internet and jamming your alarm system's cell channels you probably have a national intelligence agency after you and they will get you sooner or later.

Yeah, my coworkers tend to post things about how home automation stuff may be hackable or someone can spoof wireless sensor signals, and really if anyone is going to be going around with tons of equipment to bypass my alarm instead of just kicking a door or window in they can have my lovely tv and tablet.

blackknight5k
Oct 22, 2008
In the last month a few strange things happened in/around my house. A few weeks ago I went to get into my car and saw that my center console and both dash consoles were open. I thought it may had been my cousin, who was staying with us, had left something in my car and went to find it. We talked to her later and she said it wasn't her. Then, just a few days ago my wife came home to our sunroom's outside door being open. It's a very difficult door to open so she believes someone opened it, but the door between the sunroom and the main house has a deadbolt on it that we keep locked when it's not in use.

She's pretty scared, and I'm just worried about some of the items that can be stolen in our house so I've been looking into camera and security systems. I've skimmed this thread and looked at some of the offerings, and right now the smarthings looks like it could be a good product, and some of what the home security store has to offer looks good as well. Our local telecom company, Comporium, also offers home monitoring service with a discounted price to buy equipment.

After the possible car break-in I backed this Mass Drop to throw up outside to watch my driveway and now possibly our sunroom. I'm sure it isn't the best system, and I need to expand the memory, but now after it seems someone may have tried to enter our home I'd like to get something more that will monitor entry into our house.

These are my thoughts, so please educate me if I'm wrong. I feel like monitoring services are less important now that we have smartphones that can receive the alerts, so I'm leaning away from Comporium. It seems that after the $99 install and the $40/mo I could buy a better system after 6 months that will text me (and theirs texts me as well...).

There is one additional area of my house I'd like a camera in order to obtain footage of someone if they steal certain items that would lead to federal prosecution for them, but I believe it would need to be smaller than what's in the mass drop. I think the smarthings camera looks good but for 100 bucks it seems a bit steep, and it also seems to be reliant upon another motion sensor to activate.

I feel the most important part of the system would be the door sensors and a verbal "gtfo" alarm, which it doesn't look like smarthings has on their site, though I read in here there is a 3rd party offering?

My last concern is installation, I might be in the network security field but I have never been good at running wires, and it gives me slight anxiety thinking about making those kinds of modifications to our home. We're considering selling the home within the next year or two, which brings up another point - would a security system increase the value of our home? I'd think maybe the compoirum system would be the one to increase the value, since I think most normal people would go in for the monitoring.

Anyway, if anyone would feel free to response to refute/support my points or educate me on this I'd appreciate it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
A professionally installed alarm system could be a selling feature, although who knows if you can get back what you put into it. Home brew system not so much.

What kind of stuff are you trying to monitor in your secret vault there?

blackknight5k
Oct 22, 2008

BigFactory posted:

A professionally installed alarm system could be a selling feature, although who knows if you can get back what you put into it. Home brew system not so much.

Thanks, I'm going to talk to my realtor friend (who is also my realtor) and see what she says, if she says it won't increase the value much I may go with a home brew system because I've always been interested in home automation.

BigFactory posted:

What kind of stuff are you trying to monitor in your secret vault there?

OPSEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, you could probably figure out if you looked through my post history. I've got quite a few firearms, including 3 NFA items. If those are stolen it's a federal felony and the ATF gets involved. From what I understand, when the ATF gets involved in an NFA item theft they usually solve it fairly quickly. I want to have footage to give them in case it happens.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

blackknight5k posted:

Thanks, I'm going to talk to my realtor friend (who is also my realtor) and see what she says, if she says it won't increase the value much I may go with a home brew system because I've always been interested in home automation.

OPSEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, you could probably figure out if you looked through my post history. I've got quite a few firearms, including 3 NFA items. If those are stolen it's a federal felony and the ATF gets involved. From what I understand, when the ATF gets involved in an NFA item theft they usually solve it fairly quickly. I want to have footage to give them in case it happens.

Positively IDing a stranger from webcam footage is next to impossible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

blackknight5k posted:

OPSEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with BigFactory. You're much better off putting that money towards a good gun safe bolted to the floor.

Edit: Just to be clear, to positively ID somebody, you're probably looking at spending hundreds, if not thousands. And even the most expensive system can be beaten by a balaclava.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 10, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

I agree with BigFactory. You're much better off putting that money towards a good gun safe bolted to the floor.

Edit: Just to be clear, to positively ID somebody, you're probably looking at spending hundreds, if not thousands. And even the most expensive system can be beaten by a balaclava.

Or put it towards a monitored alarm system. You might get breaks on your homeowner's insurance, too. Worth asking your agent about.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Or put it towards a monitored alarm system. You might get breaks on your homeowner's insurance, too. Worth asking your agent about.

This is a good idea. Listen to this man.

Foe Hammer
Feb 6, 2016

the jammer I posted was just the first one I found on google. you can google how to make one yourself its fairly easy. I live in Tampa, FL and saw on the news this guy built his own cell jammer and put it in his car and ran it while driving back and forth to work each day, they caught him because they did a roadblock as he drove the route the same time each day. He said he only ran the jammer so people wouldn't be on their cell while driving... lol I personally think it would make people worse drives as they would be trying to figure out why their phone wasn't working.

Me personally I did not bother with an alarm system in my home until I had daughters... i also didn't own a gun before i had daughters or a shovel or a big back yard.... . I've been broken into a few times both while a roommate was home and he somehow didn't notice. (worked 3rd shift and slept all day) both times it was someone I knew that broke in. i don't know how true it is but my neighbor who is a cop said that most break-ins are done by people we know.

we also get people going door to door in my neighborhood asking what kind of alarm we have and if they can take a look at it to upgrade it. Somehow I think if he was part of the alarm company sales team he would have been dressed like a professional instead of a thug.... lol it amazes me that anyone would fall for that but then again i just read in an IT magazine that 3.3 million people a year fall for the tele-marketers that call and say they are from Microsoft and that you have virus. The article said people lose over 5 billion a year in those scams.

a monitored system does give me a discount on my home owners insurance although it is very small.

absolutely bolt the safe to the ground... I had a friend of a friend that didn't bolt his down and he lost like 10 guns and he had a silencer in their as well. so ATF interviewed everyone of his friends, took his DVR and all his equipment and did not return any of it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

BigFactory posted:

Positively IDing a stranger from webcam footage is next to impossible.

Depends there, though. If it's an indoor cam and you're shooting at 1080p with local storage it's easy enough.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

Depends there, though. If it's an indoor cam and you're shooting at 1080p with local storage it's easy enough.

Yeah, I turned over some 720p video of a sketchy guy looking in my windows and trying to get in my house over to the cops and they instantly knew who it was and tacked on a criminal trespass and attempted burglary to his other charges (he ended up breaking into someone else's house).

Also, definitely check homeowners on discounts. I get 15% off mine by having monitored alarm + fire on mine, basically pays for over half the fee.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
First of all, apologies if this is the wrong thread.

I'm not interested in home security so much as home automation: primarily lighting and HVAC control; A/V is a nice plus.

I have a house wired mostly for Crestron. I've fired the people who've been dicking around with it for the better part of a year, and I'm about to get, well, something else in place.

I have a lot of Crestron light switches in place, Crestron thermostats, and a Crestron-controlled home theater, it just doesn't really work. I'm primarily concerned about the light switches. Contractors tell me that if I go with a non-Crestron system I'll have to have them all replaced, which sounds silly to me.

I'd love to put in a new system that's:

1) Future-proof (expandable, based on open standards instead of proprietary junk)

2) Somewhat DIY-friendly (I'm a lapsed software engineer, I have no interest in building the thing from the ground up but would like to be able to make small changes later)

3) Can work with a range of hardware, especially those silly Crestron switches that would be expensive to replace

4) Can handle lighting, HVAC, maybe AV, and maybe home security

5) Has a good dealer/support network, community-based is OK too

I know I'm not going to find all five in one place, but is there something out there that satisfies three of these points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Hi Jinx posted:

First of all, apologies if this is the wrong thread.

I'm not interested in home security so much as home automation: primarily lighting and HVAC control; A/V is a nice plus.

I have a house wired mostly for Crestron. I've fired the people who've been dicking around with it for the better part of a year, and I'm about to get, well, something else in place.

I have a lot of Crestron light switches in place, Crestron thermostats, and a Crestron-controlled home theater, it just doesn't really work. I'm primarily concerned about the light switches. Contractors tell me that if I go with a non-Crestron system I'll have to have them all replaced, which sounds silly to me.

I'd love to put in a new system that's:

1) Future-proof (expandable, based on open standards instead of proprietary junk)

2) Somewhat DIY-friendly (I'm a lapsed software engineer, I have no interest in building the thing from the ground up but would like to be able to make small changes later)

3) Can work with a range of hardware, especially those silly Crestron switches that would be expensive to replace

4) Can handle lighting, HVAC, maybe AV, and maybe home security

5) Has a good dealer/support network, community-based is OK too

I know I'm not going to find all five in one place, but is there something out there that satisfies three of these points?

Not if you want to keep your Crestron stuff. There's no way to future proof right now because there is no clear winner. In terms of total devices installed out there, you want Z-Wave. That's what most monitored systems use.