Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Hi everybody,

I run a basic Ubiquiti network w/ Lutron lights, Nest for security and cameras. I'd like to add water sensors because I'm paranoid about water damage. I see a lot of people have been using Aqara and just purchased the Aqara M2 hub and a few water sensors. Any tips/tricks on keeping them running or are there alternatives to Aqara other people recommend? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

I just installed a bunch (3) Aqara water sensors and an M2 hub for HA integration. These things are great. But having realized how many places I'd like instant water damage notice...has anybody purchased a dozen or more of these guys or had any issues?

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Slash posted:

Not the water sensors, but i have about 20 of the Aqara door/window sensors, and 4 temperature sensors around the house with no issues.

Thank you, that’s reassuring.
I think I’m gonna need something like that many water sensors for my own paranoia. (4 bed/bath and sinks and other water sources)

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I’d go with ring I that case. It’s dead simple to setup and maintain

With Google Nest Security about to eat it in April 2024 I think I'm going to move to Ring too.
What a pain and waste of $$$ :sigh:

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

I've got a bunch of outdoor Google Nests (don't hate me, it was the easiest solution at the time) in rather difficult to access areas. Is there any reasonable way aside from getting up there and physically resetting the Nests in order to migrate them to a new wifi? loving google :emo:

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Something I've noticed in my house is that if something's going on with the wifi/internet, the Google Homes (I'm a curmudgeon I guess and still call them Homes, not Nests) will all start broadcasting a wifi network that, I assume, the Google Home app will use to connect to them for configuration. So I think an option would be to just turn off the old wifi (at least temporarily) to force them all into setup mode.

Thank you, looks like I'm getting a taller ladder to figure this out this weekend.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Aside from Simplisafe, is there any other home security that has live support integration? My significant other enjoyed the Brinks connection with our Nest Secure but that's going away pretty soon so I'd like to get a replacement if possible. Don't want to sign up directly with Brinks/ADT because of past experiences but was wondering if there was any mainstream option available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Since nest secure is sunsetting just around the corner I'd like to see if there's an alternatives to the systems I've been looking at. The significant other likes the idea of professional monitoring and would also prefer to keep HomeKit compatibility since they're in the Apple ecosystem. We've got a series of google nest cameras and don't want to replace them at this time so just looking for motion detectors/someone to call us/send services if there's an issue. Looks like all there is for those two specific requirements is Abode/Ecobee/Simplisafe/Ring. I'm leaning towards Abode DIY instead of Ring/Simplisafe given reviews online and pricing, is there anything else I should be considering?