Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm interested in locks and blinds/window-stuff.

Lock desiderata in descending order of wantedness:
  • RF entry without having to open an app. Could use phone or keycard, but phone is best
  • Keypad for other users, servicefolk, etc
  • IoT controllable via Z-wave or Zigbee or whatever
  • logging, break-in siren, time-bounded codes (cleaners only come between 8 and 12 on Tuesdays)

Blinds I dunno, I'm not sure what my options are. There are kits that attach to existing blinds, and others that are integrated. And then there's the smart-film stuff that I can't find reliable reviews of. (Is the CNet Smart Home stuff good?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sellouts posted:

The dining room light is a dumb regular switch (no neutral wire) that's always on to provide power to the color changing smart bulb.

Do you use the color-changing part much? It always seemed like a gimmick to me, and not something I would want to do other than maybe adjusting colour temperature.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, you'd need something that wired into the fan. There is at least one fan out there that can be controlled that way, but IIRC it is $$$.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

McPhearson posted:

if you have any 3-way switches (where there are 2 or more switches controlling the same light) you're going to need a special add-on switch for the non-smart side

What special thing is that, exactly? What if I put smart switches on both sides?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

McPhearson posted:

Here's the link for the add-on switch: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Lighting-Control-12722/dp/B00RKJS8MQ?th=1

If you put a smart switch on both sides then in smartthings you'll have two switches for the same thing, which can be confusing. For example, you turn on the light with one switch (lets call it Hall 1), turn it off with the other (lets call it Hall 2), now when you open smartthings it'll say Hall 1 is on and Hall 2 is off like the hall is in some crazy Schrodinger's cat situation. The add-on switch lets the smart switch know when it's used so it can report the correct status back to smartthings, and you don't have multiple listings in the app for the same thing. And it's cheaper than adding another smart switch to the equation.

This is exactly what I needed to know, thank you. I went with the Homeseer variant to match my dimmers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My Harmony hub sits directly on top of my ATV4, to no ill effect.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone know of smart switches in this form factor?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sellouts posted:

It kind of sucks that you have to explain anything vs having a button on the wall labeled appropriately.

I have to confess that I don't label my light switches. I do have smart switches though, so there are still options for those trapped in the prison of the physical.

Can one get a wireless z-wave/whatever switch that triggers a smartbulb?

Scrapez posted:

Also, is it possible to control the DirecTV box via RF or does the Harmony Hub not do RF? I would like to keep it in RF mode so I can control it with a DirecTV remote on patio our in another room.

Harmony uses IR to control DirecTV from what I can tell. DirecTV receivers apparently support wifi control, so that might change in the future?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The hub can also talk to devices via wifi and Bluetooth. I use wifi for my TV, and Bluetooth for my PS4.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Scrapez posted:

If I put in some smart switches to control canned lighting, do I also need a smart hub of some kind to control them with phone/Alexa?

If yes, which hub is considered the best right now? I see Logitech had an add-on to the Harmony Hub that I already have but I'm less than impressed with the hub software so hesitant to go that route unless it's awesome.

Samsung smart things is one I was kind of leaning towards.

I went with Samsung, given similar impressions of the Harmony stuff, but haven't set it up yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSU_Matthew posted:

Only design thing I dislike is changing batteries, the retaining clip is a bitch to release--definitely could be a lot better. But I discovered that nail clipper handles, of all loving things, works amazingly to pop out the batteries. Thankfully that's a once a year task.

Only design thing I dislike is that it's not wifi!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

legooolas posted:

It does both. The keyfob presence sensor is ZigBee but a bunch of the other sensors are z-wave and it can use standard z-wave things from other manufacturers too, I believe.

Yeah, all my switches and such are z-wave.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hed posted:

That was kind of my point. I get that smart switches are great because physical controls are infinitely better than pulling out a smartphone but I would still like some way to signal to my bulb what color to be. The only "solutions" I've seen are the hue Tap, which I don't consider acceptable for a real setup. So really it sounds like there's no good way to have physical controls with presets for color or whatever and a colorized light bulb.

My zwave switches support double/triple tap, and I'm going to try to hook it up so that double tap on on/off paddles cycle through colour presets on the relevant light(s). I'll report back if I get it working.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CopperHound posted:

I also would like someone to tell me what switches to buy. Most importantly I want it to function just fine as a light switch without a hub. And I *think* I want z wave for dicking around with smart hubs.

I mostly like the looks of Cooper aspire. It seems very feature complete, but I don't like that is is just a push button instead of rocker switch.

I bought Homeseer, they work well so far (switch, dimmer, companion) and have rockers. Z-wave+ and were simple to get connected to my SmartThings hub, but worked as switches before that and when my hub goes off the network.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Now I get to learn how to work with the neutral and ground that aren't wired to my dumb switches, in order to install the smart ones. They're both in the box, so I'm sure I can figure it out. Right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I ran into this exact situation just now trying to install a smart dimmer in my skylight. They're crammed back there and when I went to pull them out, the entire box came loose and pulled out of the wall and the drywall cracked on all sides.

Hell yeah let's turn a simple five minute job into a multi step repair process.

I'm gonna need more wine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There are toggle switches that are close, but I don't know of any that use a traditional throw.

https://www.amazon.ca/GE-12727-Wireless-Lighting-Control/dp/B00PYMGOHM

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, just like it's part of a 3-way setup.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My experience was that it didn't work with my thick door. :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are there ways to get external monitoring of a DIY/custom sort of setup? My insurance is offering some goodness, but I'd rather not have some generic thing that I can't control from my phone, like I were a peasant or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

housefly posted:

I pay $20/month for scout to monitor my smartthings setup. Works great!

Thanks, I'll look into that!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

housefly posted:

I pay $20/month for scout to monitor my smartthings setup. Works great!

What cameras do you use?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Has anyone used one of those Z-Wave USB sticks or similar to implement a slave device? I want to add voice control for my fireplace, but it's hard to find examples of doing things other than being a hub/controller.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

aarstar posted:

Hey, I could use a bit of advice. I did a little research on this topic but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Are there good power outlets that can be controlled by both HomeKit and Alexa? I'm using Hues light bulbs at the moment and really like the integration with these 2 systems.

Do you mean smart outlets that replace the ones in the wall, or smart plugs that go between your load and the existing outlet?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gschmidl posted:

As for future-proofing, the Hue bridge works without an internet connection/cloud/whatever, which is a huge plus in my books, and if someone just uses the normal light switch, the bulbs behave like you'd expect them to.

SmartThings drives Hue and Z-wave and Zigbee without internet access, fwiw.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

azurite posted:

How does this work exactly? I've never pulled the Ethernet cable to try, but when SmartThings had an outage one evening, I lost control of everything.

Those use local wireless protocols (at least Z*). The app might not work, I guess (the ST hub weirdly doesn't have wifi), but things like timers and scenes triggered from z-wave devices seem to work when the internet is down.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hotsauce posted:

I have a Smarthings hub and want to control my front porch lights remotely. Is this something that would fit my needs?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GONGX98/

Yeah, that should work fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What does Z-wave licensing cost?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Kevo links with Nest but not any voice controls. Not sure I'd want voice controlled locks.

I want to be able to lock and query status with voice, but not unlock I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

3-way switches work fine. I have 3 3-way and 1 4-way right now with the HomeSeer Z-wave ones, no problems at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

emocrat posted:

Just looked at these cause of your post, looks like a good system. So you use 1 spot in the 3 way for a smart switch and then the cheaper add on ones int he others? Are you using one of the Homeseer Hubs? How do you like them?

That's what I do, yeah. I use a SmartThings hub, which I would give a 7/10.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If power outages are common enough that such behavior is a major issue, I feel bad for you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paddle supremacy forever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jerk McJerkface posted:

EDIT: Actually can't you set your zwave system to turn off an outlet if it senses the room is empty via a motion sensor? I have one of them, maybe I can do some combination of triggers so if it sees no one is home it turns it all off.

Yeah.

Is there any way with SmartThings/Echo to have a scene that can be turned off? I have a SmartThings Automation called "Eating Lights" that sets two fixtures to the levels I prefer for dining. "Echo, turn on Eating Lights" works, but "turn off Eating Lights" doesn't. I could create a second Automation, but saying "turn on Eating Lights Off" feels dumb.

Do I need some custom code through the ST API?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I assume that what you want in turning off a scene is the lights go back to whatever state they were in before you turned the scene on? As far as I can tell in briefly scanning dev docs, the Alexa system doesn't have any concept of "previous state" when it comes to lights.

E: I'm guessing you thought of this but instead off "turn on eating lights off" you could set up something like "turn on regular lights".

No, I want them to turn off. Previous state would definitely require code.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Right, but I want them to come on to a specific level. That's the part that requires the Automation, and screws things up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sorry I don't follow, but all I have are hue lights and a Dot.

I create a scene (in the Hue app) which sets lamps to desired levels, and also create an Alexa group (in the Alexa app) of the two light bulbs. Then I use the commands "turn on <scene name>" and "turn off <group name>".

Yeah, I want to use the same name, because I will have a bunch of these scenes and teaching people both will be annoying.

evilweasel posted:

Are these dimmers or color bulbs? Alexa: Kitchen Lights 50% works fine for me with dimmers.

They're dimmers. Unfortunately I don't want the two lights at the same %age.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'd be surprised if my ducting was installed to such exacting standards that I could build up much backpressure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That's not touchless, though. In particular, I know from experience the Prius mentioned in that article requires you to touch the inside of the door handle before it unlocks.

It's a silly distinction to worry about now that I think about it, sorry for the derail.

When I walk up to my car the door handles come out and it unlocks, I just pull the handle to enter. It locks when I walk away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I guess SmartThings depends on S3.