Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Late to the light talk a page ago but, hue lights are zigbee and work with other zigbee hubs and my now unsupported nanoleaf zigbee bulbs work with the hue bulb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing there are parts of the country without ceiling fans in every room.

I hate ceiling fans and the only reason they exist in our condo is because they were already there. But I refuse to use them and get blasted with dust, would rather turn on the hvac fan or an air purifier, or a dehumidifier.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
the philips hue hub works without internet if she has an Iphone. As do their light bulbs if run without hub, like ge ones but for android.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

The Gunslinger posted:

We have a Roborock S5 that is on its own VLAN since it kept phoning gigabytes of mapping info and our wifi credentials home to China. Very happy with it otherwise, does a great job. The only reason I'll get another one day is for self-empty.

I stuck to roomba and replaced a neato with a roomba as even though you can easily replace the OS in a roborock it didn't seem worth the effort.

my standalone roomba is better at mopping than the integrated ones anyway

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
One thing I like about my Hue is having the outside light on and off according to sunset/sunrise instead of forgetting it on or forgetting to turn it on.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Bobstar posted:

Wow the new Hue app really is awful, isn't it. I haven't touched it for a while, just been enjoying a working system with timers and switches, but I Hue-ified my entrance hall at the weekend, and that's a massive downgrade in usability for settings levels/CT and saving scenes.

I really hate that I am not able to see when my bridge last updated.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
guys I moved to a place that all the light switches and window covers are zwave, should I get a zwave hub or a raspberry pi + home assistant, help I used to stay on zigbee only and now I been dumped with a pile of zwave garbage

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I installed HA on a raspberry pi and i love how I can have everything in whatever assistant regardless of one supporting only x instead of y

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Just put everything in home assistant.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

DNK posted:

Just set up home assistant in ubuntu using docker managed via portainer and got it all hooked into my very basic poo poo

Next up is installing Frigate to act as the NVR for a single PoE IP camera and integrating that with HA

The initial deluge of insanity involved here reminds me of computers in 1997 except we now have the paratext (stackoverflow, detailed blogs, beautiful documentation) to act as a guide through the jungle.

I’m currently using a minisForum GK-41 (~$130) as the server and have a Coral AI Accelerator (~$80) that will be doing a lot of image processing lifting (paired with the Frigate software).

If I could go back in time and tell myself something to avoid a bit of struggle: Docker Desktop is no bueno. Just install the docker components (“core”) separately and use Portainer as the UI. Docker Desktop runs in a virtual machine which means it doesn’t have full host access; you need to specify the ports in the config file.

I’m going the Ubuntu+docker route because the HomeAssistant OS has some immediate limitations re: integrations with Frigate, and that’s currently my major use case for all this biznas. Plus literally every single fun software thing is apparently available as a docker container and the maintenance of the packages is, like, a single command line.
I don't know if you are using windows but in windows you can make the network adapter be bridged to the VMS and then your VM will be able to handle networking directly

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I got a switchbot for my apartment lock along with the fingerprint keypad since my landlord has yet to integrate their Yale with their stuff and was getting tired of inputting a code every time to open the door.
So yeah internetofthings.txt a smart lock that controls another

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Smart bulbs are cool if you don't want to replace switches or for floor lamps. Like my apartment has wave switches but I don't have the lutron leave hub so I'll never be able to update them, hopefully no hacker turns off my lights

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

haveblue posted:

Sooner or later someone will flip the wall switch and then you get to figure out why your light isn't responding to smart control

Do you have random people walking in and turning off switches

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

haveblue posted:

If you go several years with only you in your apartment you need to work on your social and family life

I've never had family or guests go around play with light switches but that's just me

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
added my hue lights to the home assistant using zigbeqtt directly, one less bride. now to wait for my zwave adapter and i'll also be rid of the smartthings bridge that's only being used for that purpose.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
what if I told you that ecobee used to have zigbee

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Red_Fred posted:

Longshot, but does anyone know how to get HA devices to show up on another iPhone?

Randomly about a year ago all my HA devices showed up in Apple Home on my iPhone, which was great but I have no idea how it happened. I assumed I needed to install the HA app on my partner's phone to get this to work for her. However, I've done that and it just doesn't show up. I tried inviting her to the home a while back but now that option is gone in Apple Home. I also tried deleting her home and adding new but it just created a new Home and there was no option to use the HASS bridge.

you need to add the HomeKit bridge integration, and then after picking the categories you want, you either exclude (tick ones you don't want to show up) or include (tick ones you want to show up) after this is done it should show a notification with a qr code when you go on the home app to add devices and do the "no qr code option."

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
the home assistant app being installed or not is irrelevant, you only install it if you want to control home assistant from phone or control when away and don't have a homekit bridge for out of home or want to have your phone report back location for automations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Red_Fred posted:

Thank you! Oh right, so I need two Services in the HomeKit integration per user/Apple login? I've added her now via that but that seems to have broken my stuff so may need to add mine again I guess.

EDIT: OK nope that's not it as I added mine to her one by using the same QR code it broke hers...

I believe you have to use different QR codes for each

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
donglechat, I been using both aeotec zigbee and zwave dongles fine, the zigbee one needed to manually set it as ezsp in the zigbee2mqtt but so far good!