Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Yeah I just use cheap Aqara Zigbee motion sensors, they work great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Currently we only have a handful of smart bulbs (BrilliantSmart brand which is some weird Australian brand I think?) and a tp-link plug but if I can get them all working out of one app rather than several that would be nice.

Pretty sure Brilliant are just rebadged Tuya devices

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

These are the spikes in my little Aqara sensors:

East coat of Australia, which probably explains why it's so distinct compared to some of those other readings.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm interesting. You have a way higher and more consistent sample rate. I guess that CC2531 of mine is hosed/buggy.

--edit: Nevermind, wide date range.
--edit: No, actually indeed higher sample rate. Hrm.

I’m using a CC2652R with Zigbee2MQTT if that helps

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

blastron posted:

However, this involves doing electrical work in a rental. Installation isn’t hard at all, but landlords generally tend to frown on that kind of thing. If you give a poo poo about what your landlord thinks, check the terms of your lease and ask permission first. Also, switches are only able to control the amount of power going to a device, so if you want anything fancy like the ability to change the color of the light, you’ll want a bulb.

Also worth noting that if you live in Australia (and potentially other places) it’s illegal to change switches/fixtures/etc unless you’re a licensed electrician

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Can you not just use the mobile app and set up push notifications? I mostly use them as a rudimentary security system, eg I get sent a still from the camera in my garage if the door is opened, but it’s simple enough to add to any automation.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

bobfather posted:

Hass is one of the weirdest, most unintuitive pieces of software that I’ve ever used. And yeah, there’s a huge difference between the operating system and a containerized version of hass: The OS can use the addon store, and the containerized version cannot. Why? Who knows.

I assume because HA addons are just Docker containers themselves? My Docker knowledge is fairly basic but running Docker within Docker seems like a bad idea.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

fletcher posted:

It is very common to run docker in docker for CI/CD pipelines. They even offer a bunch of official images for dind (docker-in-docker): https://hub.docker.com/_/docker

I stand corrected!

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

OK. So I'm an idiot with computers. Having said that, I have somehow managed to Mr. Magoo myself into setting up a cheap computer that I use as a Pihole/Jellyfin/HomeAssistant computer.

I installed Ubuntu, and was running just HomeAssistant in a Docker Container. Setting up Docker as someone who knows very little about computers was a pain in the rear end, but through a bunch of "just copy-paste this code!", I got it done.

I then realized that HA in container doesn't update automatically, and you have to essentially delete the container and re-add it. Having stumbled my way through this, it seems that despite hearing that deleting the container preserves all settings, it did not so I'll have to reconfigure all my devices and automations.

So my question is:

I don't want to gently caress with docker anymore and have to troubleshoot my docker issues before I even get to the HA parts. Is there A Better Way? I don't care about resource allocation, etc, because nothing on this device is particularly resource intensive, I just want The Idiots way of having all three things running at once.

As I understand, the non-containerized version of HA is an OS, so therefore I cant "just" run everything on Ubuntu, right? I'd have to have HA be the actual os, which may or may not cause issues running jellyfin/pihole on the same server?

(Of note I am aware that this particular problem is "oh you totally did the update wrong, if you did XYZ you wouldnt have lost your settings", but every time I have an issue, this or otherwise, it's not "how do I fix it", it's "How do I give myself a refresher on docker, and try to fix it through the lens of someone who doesn't really know how he set up the container, just that he copy-pasted some lines months ago")

HA OS allows you to install add-ons, which are just docker containers managed through the HA UI, and there are probably Pi-Hole and Jellyfin ones available.

Edit: looks like the Pi-Hole add-on is deprecated, so not sure the best solution.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

If all I’m gonna do is connect a single iot hub to it and nothing else, then what is the cheaper alternative than the $100 Flint on that website?

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt300n-v2/

If you're only connecting the hub, the Mango should cover your needs IMO

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

calandryll posted:

I recently migrated a bunch of stuff, including HA, over to a proxmox setup. I used these scripts, https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/, to install everything. Completely easy and simple to do. Prior to that my virtualization experience was installing various distros to play around with.

I just did the same, moved my HA install from a dedicated box to a VM. I'm shocked how easy it was, all my custom integrations, camera feeds, Zigbee2MQTT setup etc just worked out of the box. The only thing I had to do was enable USB passthrough for my Zigbee dongle but that was very simple.

I've given the VM the same IP that the dedicated box had and my wife hasn't even noticed that there's been a change.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

One of the things HA did such an excellent job on is backup and restore. It didn't use to be that way :) But they definitely have nailed it.

It's something I've been putting off for a while as I was expecting to spend a whole weekend getting everything back up and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Scruff McGruff posted:

Grabbed one of these, I mean for that price it even if it's not super useful it's at least a relatively harmless project. Especially compared to back when I was considering getting one of those Mycroft.ai Voice Assistant boxes before they went belly-up.

Where are people buying these? The only places I can find in Aus are selling them for ~$300aud