Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Are there any currently existing or planned HomeKit compatible UK standard plug sockets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Netatmo have a smart thermostat that has no ties. I’ve always had a good experience using their stuff and they’re backed well enough by legrand that you know they won’t fly by night.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

I need to know more about this smart cat door.

I used to have a non-connected smart cat flap, which is a microchip reader with two actuators - if your cat comes up to the door and is read, then the flaps unlock on both sides and it can come through. If you want your cats to be able to come back into the house but not go outside again, you can make it one way.

Worked really well but ate batteries iirc.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I might have missed some candidates, but I’m trying to gauge whether I’m fussing over nothing or should be more patient.
House with combi boiler, not opentherm (thank you Vaillant for being absolute arseholes everywhere except Holland). Due to the boiler placement I’d like to put a wired thermostat into the main living area, with TRV control over the other radiators on the central heating. There’s a fire in the main living area, so I’m expecting that we may hit a position where the Thermostat has reached target, but TRV’s in rooms further away haven’t, and the boiler should be engaged, but wouldn’t be.

I’ve been reading and looking at a few of the options, so is the current state of the market that;

Only Eve have a TRV that is capable of matter-over-thread? But the latest model has a series of horrible reviews over actuator and valve noise.Currently running Bluetooth. No boiler control or smart thermostat. Does couple with window sensors.

Aqara just announced a Matter-via-Hub series of TRV’s. They look quite smart, and have/are promising interesting complications and automations with the rest of their new offering, in room air quality sensors acting as external thermo probes, face recognition etc. Still, Zigbee 3.0 into a hub.

Siemens have the RDS110.R, which appears to do everything I’d want, and even offers the benefit of having a wireless relay over thread to avoid some tricky cabling. Except it only supports the control of relays or TRV, and even then is limited to 6 max. Still, it’s got 2 relay contacts,and has some pretty nice sensors built in for air quality and humidity to bring into HomeKit et al. Except, it can’t, because it’s not-matter-over-thread? Might be in future given that it’s 99% of the way there, but support seems to be onto more technical BUS architecture like KNX. Who knows.

Or do I gently caress it all off and go with Netatmo TRV’s and buy a battery mine, with the legrand thermo? It can support more TRV’s, is likely to go into Matter given Legrand are part of the consortium behind it and other with Netatmo products are, but the Netatmo protocol isn’t quite Zigbee and isn’t quite Thread and so gently caress knows.

Ultimately I’d like to try and move across to Wired and Matter over Thread as default to avoid interference and backwards comparability issues. Losing a few Hue bulbs and starting over lighting wise isn’t too bad, and they’d likely need replacing soon anyway.
Or wait and see obviously.

E: for verbs and tenses Jesus.

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 10, 2023

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

That Works posted:

Anyone got much experience with Siri Shortcuts and Homeassistant?

Using the guide here https://companion.home-assistant.io/docs/integrations/siri-shortcuts/

I've made a few. My plan is to just have the iPhones in the house be the only way to voice activate anything (since my partner will never give theirs up). I've made a shortcut "night night" that fires off an HA automation that turns off all the lights.

I am trying to make one to just toggle on or off the bedroom nightstand light. I can manually click the shortcut in the app and it carries out the desired task, so its interfacing with HA fine. The issue is when I verbally call it from Siri.

Calling it "Night Stand" or "nightstand" just ends up with Siri returning a websearch for night stands...

Calling it "Bedroom" or "Bed Room" opens the Apple Home app (which I have never used) and tries to get me to set up a smarthome through it.

Any ideas?

As you’re not using any of the Apple home features, if you disable access to it for the iPhone you’re using under the Settings > iCloud > Apps using iCloud menu and rename it back to bedroom, would that work? Given that it’s clearly understanding you to invoke home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

quote:

AONE™ 250W SMART ROTARY DIMMER MODULE

I always wondered how they turned on the floodlights at football and now I know.

Decided to gently caress it all off and went with the Schneider Wiser stuff in the end as well. Figure with the price of them at the moment, I’ll not feel too horrible coming back round to replace / update.