Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Partycat posted:

+nthing the HUSBZB-1. It's been just fine on Z-Wave for me, no issues. At least one that's out there has a battery and a button so you can take it with you for device inclusion, but I haven't had so many things as to need that feature.

I have to say it's been a bit eye opening how much work has gone into projects like ZWaveJS and HomeAssistant to try and put the solution together. It almost seems too polished sometimes.

I wish I'd understood a bit better how some of the underlying pieces worked, so I would have been less frustrated about Zjs2MQTT and missing entities, devices that don't seem to update but have a delta threshold I didn't know existed. Once things clicked it's become much easier to take more steps and do some really neat things with HA and these sensors and toys. But it still is a project and really lends itself to tinkers.

How is the range on Z-Wave or the HUSBZB-1 in general through floors? My HomeAssistant lives on a VM in my home server in the basement but all my Z-Wave devices are on my main floor. Now my house is pretty tiny so the distance between the devices and my server isn't that far, one is almost directly above the server.

I also have a RP4 on the main floor that runs Mycroft (Pircroft) and was debating trying to stick a Z-Wave hat or USB into and then maybe install docker and run ZWaveJS2MQTT and have that link to HA? But I'm not super skilled with HomeAssistant or even Linux in general so if I could still just put the receiver on the actual server and just pass it through directly to the HA VM that seems much simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Yeah, I haven't used it myself but I know Hue lights and sensors are fully compatible with HomeAssistant, so you shouldn't locked in down the road if you decide to go with a different tool. It just might mean that you have to use a different automation controller (switching from the Hue app to HomeKit or HomeAssistant).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I mainly meant to ask about the ability of Hue’s motion sensor to act as a general purpose motion sensor. If I have another use for a motion sensor, say for security purposes or activating a camera, can I use Hue’s motion sensor to do that, or is it strictly to be used to activate Hue’s lights and nothing else?

You should definitely be able to do this, they should show as an independent entity with their own actions so you can tie their actions to any other automations you want. I'm speaking specifically for HomeAssistant but that should generally be true for any controller that supports Hue/Zigbee.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Gerdalti posted:

Actually for some reason Hue doesn't expose the motion sensor to Home Assistant via integration. I've been meaning to pull mine out of Hue and see if it works with regular ZigBee.

Well that's what I get for just guessing when I haven't done it myself.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

Wondering if anyone has recommendations for a smart thermostat, and a smart fire alarm, that has no voice integration and no ties to Google or Amazon. Most I find are Alexa enabled and I am looking to avoid that and these 2 companies if possible. I currently have the Nest version of both and am looking to sidegrade or upgrade.

I would also be interested in this as I too have a Nest thermostat that I've been looking to move away from to self-host. I know First Alert has some Z-Wave compatible alarms like this one but I've been less sure about what thermostat to go with that is both non-cloud reliant but also looks nice on the wall.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

ah yeah good call, that could be good.

edit: quick look shows me some that have fobs and keys too, neat. anyone know a reliable one that isn't super expensive?

I know I and a couple of others in here have the Schlage ones. The Schlage Connect requires a z-wave network but I think the Encode has wifi built in and the Sense can be wi-fi enabled with an adapter.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I got some Feit Electric cameras a little while ago and set them up in the Feit Electric app a few months ago. Then I got some "LaView" cameras on black Friday and I was surprised but not shocked to learn that since they're both Tuya, that I could load them into my Feit Electric app instead of setting up another app. But then imagine my surprise that I can just get the Tuya Smart Life app and load all my Tuya devices, regardless of manufacturer, into the same app!

And the reason I discovered that is by reading the Tuya integration section on Home Assistant, which means I can integrate these if I ever decided to setup HA.

Something to also consider if you ever end up going to HomeAssistant is the LocalTuya addon for HomeAssistant that lets you control Tuya devices locally instead of relying on their cloud service/app. As far as I know this doesn't eliminate Tuya devices from communicating to the cloud but it does help with reliability/response times. I used it briefly when I first bought an outdoor smart outlet to control my backyard string lights (since replaced with a z-wave outlet). It was way faster at turning the lights on than the actual Tuya app was and it still worked if my internet went out which was happening frequently at the time.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for recommending these, they're great!

I have two questions, one fun and one wiring related.

1. In replacing old switches and dimmers in my house I found a dual gang box that had a switch that was disconnected, apparently some fixture that was long removed. So I'm sitting here with a dual gang box that will only have one dimmer in it. Rather than just put another dead switch in it, are there any fun things that I could put in the other side that can interact with HA and my smart home? What are some ideas that you guys have that I could consider? It's in the kitchenette area, so a fairly central part of the house that is well trafficked, if something visual were to be a part of your answer.

HASPone!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I know a couple of people that swear by the Tradfri remote but I've never used it myself.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Has anyone here used the GoControl HUSBZB-1 with a z-wave lock? I bought it based on the fact that it was both Z-Wave and Zigbee in one (though I only have z-wave stuff right now) and also because a lot of people seemed to recommend it, but I'm also reading that out of the box it needs a firmware update in order to upgrade it to Z-Wave Plus and that even then it may not play nice with locks that require the S2 security.

The firmware update process is fairly complex and while I'm confident I could do it I'm trying to decide if it's worth even bothering vs returning it and ordering something like a Zooz S2 or something like that instead.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

movax posted:

G4 Doorbell Pro just hit Early Access / managed to snag one.

Description is fuzzy but apparently on Discord a UI employee confirmed that the USB-C port can do data also, so I guess the MO is to put a USB-C <-> PoE/data adapter in the wall somewhere, versus a direct RJ-45 on the device. Not my preference, but I ran a Cat6 up the wall, so I'm ready for it. I used a 802.3af power adapter (PoE In, 24 VDC Out) for the initial install, so this isn't terrible.

Now I just have to find a loving wall plate solution that works to clean up the install, it spent the past year exposed to the elements...

e: https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-protect-cameras/products/g4-doorbell-pro-ea if you have EA

Glad to see the rumors on this were true. I was holding off on buying the current G4 because I really liked the potential for NFC/Biometrics, and the down facing camera/light is pretty good too.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

azurite posted:

I don't think you need to do this. Devices with S2 should be backwards compatible with S0.

This ended up being a non issue, it actually came updated out of the box, which was definitely a surprise given the reviews. Finally got my outdoor lights back into HomeAssistant/Mycroft and got some automation around locking my front door at night so that when my wife suddenly asks at 11pm if I remembered to lock it I can say yes and not have to trek across the house to check.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hi thread, I'd like to get a security camera for my front and back door; I'd like to avoid complicated wiring as I might move in the spring anyways; so a wifi and battery powered/rechargable camera is fine.

This seems well in my budget but I kinda dislike that the SD cards go in the camera's themselves (so a thief only needs to just rip off the camera); is there something like this system where the recording goes in some Router like central device?

A few people I know have a Wyze system which has wifi/battery cams that connect to a Wyze hub and they seem to like it well enough.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Bobstar posted:

Ah I see, just googled around that, sounds annoying. I think I'll skip straight to Zigbee2MQTT then. Thanks!

General question, if I don't own anything suitable already, is a Raspberry Pi the best thing to run Home Assistant on? Annoyingly I cheaped out when I bought my NAS and it doesn't do that kind of thing :(

Normally I'd say that a pi is a good way to start getting into HA but if you don't already have one they're near impossible to find right now or are overpriced like a lot of electronics so I'd say to just pick up a used Optiplex/Think Center/ProDesk instead. They can be found for virtually the same price as rpi4's right now and have the benefit of being upgraded later if for some reason you need more power and can be found in USFF if you don't have a closet to stick a tower in or if you want to use it like a smart home hub.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Yea that’s what we have inside the garage. I’m looking for an option we can have in our house which is ~20 feet away from the garage itself. Right now we just keep a garage door remote on the countertop.

I agree with Fletcher that using the existing opener is honestly one of the best solutions here. My parents do this, they have an opener command stripped to the trim of the window that's next to their back door so the opener is both easily accessible and is effectively hidden behind the window curtains for aesthetics.

You could also look into finding someone on etsy or thingiverse that's designed a 3D printed enclosure for garage openers that look like a light switch (either buy fully encapsulating it or by transferring the internals of the existing opener).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

lmao, Ubiquiti's recommended alternative when you check the availability of the $30 G3 Instant

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Jokes on y'all, I got a very well tempered baby!

I'm using home assistant and Android (wife is apple but she's a tech luddite) so it doesn't look like air tags are an option, although I do love the profile and form factor. Going to check out tile or maybe a gps tracker from my wireless provider

I know some people have used BLE tags to do something like this but if you're looking for simplicity then Tile is probably your best bet for now.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

There's also a localtuya addon for Home Assistant so you can avoid having to use the cloud/app

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Home Assistant 2022.3 is changing(?) the UI component library it uses, so I guess plenty of custom components might blow up.

Oof, that's gonna be interesting.

Also, is it normal for devices to fall out of HA only to automatically get re-detected/added but with different device names thus breaking automations and dashboards? This has been happening to me all of a sudden recently with my Roku TVs and my Z-Wave outlets.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Anker/Eufy announced their own smart lock/doorbell camera with fingerprint scanner. Pretty compelling at $200

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

priznat posted:

That's pretty neat, not really into kickstarters though. Also does it have homekit support?

Anker basically uses Kickstarter as their Early Access shop so I wouldn't treat it like independent projects that may or may not ever appear. They're a major brand that has existing production logistics for their products in place so you know you'll actually get whatever you "back" (pre-order).

Not sure about the Homekit support though, I know some of their cameras are. Might be worth submitting a question to the FAQ section of the kickstarter page about it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

priznat posted:

Dang in the comments for that eufy lock/camera it says no Homekit support. That's kind of a bummer. Would it be possible to integrate it into homekit via home assistant?

I would think that you could use HomeBridge to do this but I haven't used it myself so I'm not 100% sure on that.

Edit: It looks like you might not even need HomeBridge anymore, the built-in Homekit integration might be able to do this.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 3, 2022

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Another happy Nortek customer, I was worried when reading some articles about how you have to do some crazy steps to get the dongle updated to the latest versions for z-wave and zigbee but it showed up already updated and was just plug-and-play.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Pitre posted:

I've had the same gen 1 Nest thermostat for going on 10 years now. I moved it to the house I live in now 5 years ago. Never a single problem with either location. I don't know if they had issues with the newer generations or something? The best feature ever is scheduled fan run times. I vent the house for 15 minutes every hour just to circulate the air.

I would add to this, I also have a gen 1 Nest and it's been absolutely solid for about 9 years. I also know a number of people that own newer Nests and nearly all of them have had issues with them so yeah, this may be a bigger issue with newer units. I also don't really do anything with it via automations and, even though I do have it integrated into Home Assistant, I still usually make adjustments from the Nest app and I dislike all the steps required to get it into HA to begin with (plus fixing it if the integration breaks). I've been eyeballing replacing it with an Ecobee Lite since it seems much more simple and feature rich in Home Assistant, plus the whole less-data-into-Google stuff.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Feit uses Tuya for their smart products. However I don't think that LED Panel is "smart" in the traditional sense. It looks like OneSync products can communicate with each other so that you can control multiple OneSync light fixtures with a single OneSync switch, all wirelessly, but there doesn't appear to be any kind of interface beyond their products. They probably can't figure out how to make it interface with Tuya, so they just haven't bothered to make it smart capable.

E: I'm an idiot, I found the smart gateway. It uses the Feit electric app, so yeah it's Tuya. And probably no easy way to use something like Home Assistant to communicate directly with the OneSync devices without using the Tuya cloud.

Yeah, there's a "LocalTuya" integration you can use with Home Assistant to avoid using the cloud integration but it's definitely not what I would call easy and is somewhat limited in the devices and functions it supports.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

MrYenko posted:

So the mechanical timer for my pool pump gave up the ghost.

:science:

Solid recommend for this thing. Super well-built, and easy to wire.

:hai:

Anyone have any blueprints for timers? Even a “shut off after xx minutes” would be an improvement. Ideally, the ability to turn it on for an hour or two at a time twice a day. HA isn’t the most friendly thing in the world for non-programmers like myself, and the blueprints forum is uhhh. Not indexed at all.

This is good stuff, I just had an aboveground pool installed last weekend and was looking for good automation stuff. Just ordered one of these so the electrician can install it when he comes out to do the run to the pump.

If anyone knows any other good smart pool accessories :justpost:, preferably zwave/ZigBee stuff. Always fun to find more e-waste because the company suddenly shut down.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Oovee posted:

Hullo
We recently completed a rebuild of our winter home after a fire and now there is all sorts of connected things here, heatpump, ventilation, cameras, etc.

I'd like to give home assistant a try and I have a old intel 7700k on itx board and I was wondering what OS version of home assistant would be the simplest option?
-should restart on its own after power outage
-option to run fancier motion detection for the cameras on the same pc

Thankee in advance

Turning back on after losing power is usually a BIOS function so your choice of OS shouldn't matter there. I used to run HA on a Windows VM but switched to the generic x86 version of the OS running on bare metal once I moved it from my NAS to its own little Dell Optiplex. It really doesn't make much of a difference as far as I've seen other than meaning that all that machine does is Home Assistant and removes needing to maintain both the OS and Home Assistant. I guess there's potentially more complexity in a VM setup with the whole peeing back in thing since you need to make sure the VM also automatically starts back up in addition to the host computer.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Any suggestions for tracking the lock on my patio door? Don't need a smart lock (since I don't think one exists) but I'd like to track if the door is locked or not.

I remember a thread in the HomeAssistant forums where people were talking about opening up Aqara or Xiaomi door sensors, extending the sensor wires into the lock bolt recess and sticking a magnet on the end of the bolt. You could also probably do something similar and easier since your door's lock is a lever style lock, stick a magnet on it and put a magnetic door sensor on the lock position side.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Gangringo posted:

I'm looking for a doorbell cam and two floodlight cams that I can speak through that are very good at distinguishing when people are actually in the yard vs just walking by and can tell the difference between a person and a dog/raccoon/cat. I have a lot of foot traffic in front of my house and my front door is very close to the sidewalk. I don't want a ton of alerts for people walking past and enjoying the park.

Eufy's doorbell should be able to do most of this. You'd probably have to set a motion zone for your walkway/yard to not get pinged for people that are just walking by but it does have people detection so it shouldn't buzz you for animals. I haven't used it myself though so I can't speak to how good their person detection actually is or anything. They also have some floodlight cameras.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Motronic posted:

This is becoming less and less a necessity with every release in the last year or two. You may still be using a lot of manual configs, but depending on the plugins you very well may be able to move some/all of that to the GUI at this point.

It was absolutely 100% necessary and a huge turn off for people not used to digging in when I first started using HA 3/4 years ago.

lol, the chagelog for the last update of one my integrations was literally "finally getting rid of manual configs since no one uses those anymore". It really is so much easier to use HA than it was just a couple of years ago.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I have an 8 year old Nest that's been great as long as you don't mind giving even more data to Google. Otherwise Ecobee seems like the way to go, my parents got one a year or so ago and love it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know how much you enjoy tinkering but I can imagine using a normal door or window open/close sensor and attaching it to the frame of the garage door rails, with the other side of that piece mounted near the bottom of the garage door such that they meet when it is fully closed.

If you're more technical I can imagine a very simple arduino solution with a position sensor but you'd have to run power to it.

This is what Linus did at his new house recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooEfsWZo4-g

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Anyone have any experience moving to a fresh install of Home Assistant while using an S2 enabled Z-Wave adapter? Something about my install of HA just seems borked for dashboards, custom cards refuse to load no matter what I do, so I was going to just nuke it and start fresh but I know the documentation for Z-Wave JS mentions preserving a token/key for the adapter and I can't seem to find it (either in the interface or that I saved when I set it up). I was planning to just remove the existing Z-Wave devices I have from the network and then re-join them once I set up the new HA instance, and it sounds like this is for if you didn't unpair the z-wave stuff beforehand but I wanted to double check.

"HA Documentation posted:

For new installations, network security keys will be automatically generated for you. If this Z-Wave stick has already been paired with secure devices, you need to enter the previously used network key as the S0 network key. S2 security keys will be automatically generated for you. Make sure that you keep a backup of these keys in a safe place in case you need to move your Z-Wave stick to another device.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

calandryll posted:

It's getting close to that time of year, does anyone have recommendations for outdoor outlets/plugs that could be flashed with tasmota or something similar? I've been trying to avoid any kind of extraneous cloud services to use stuff.

I used one of these for my outdoor string lights before I switched to Z-Wave and it worked great. I never flashed it to Tasmota but folks in the reviews said they did, it has an esp8266 in it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

haveblue posted:

Maybe we're being too high-tech and the solution is to add or strengthen a spring that pushes the door shut when it's not being actively held open?

I think you may be in the wrong thread.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

priznat posted:

I'd like to get a real basic model to try it out that is relatively pet friendly, perhaps something from eufy as they seem the cheapest while still being a decent brand.

Or maybe costco and return it if it doesn't work out.

We got a Lefant M210 for this purpose and while it's is very barebones in terms of features, it really was amazing how much of a difference it made. The first couple of days it ran it had to stop early because it filled up its little internal bin with all the pet hair embedded in our carpet that we didn't even realize was there. Before I never would have considered spending the crazy amounts for the self-emptying and mopping vacs but now I've got one on my wishlist, totally worth it IMO.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've got a security door (steel mesh) and a front door behind it - both take standard knobs and deadbolts, and I'd like to convert to keyless entry. But it seems kind of silly to have the keypad on both doors, one directly behind the other - is there such thing as a secondary lock without a numpad that is remotely unlocked by putting the code into the first one?

If not, what do people normally do in these situations? Just get 2 keypads? Don't put a lock on the inner door? Both seem a bit impractical.

Most smart locks can be triggered electronically so you could potentially set up an automation in something like HomeAssistant so that when a code is successfully entered on the first lock it automatically triggers the second lock so you don't have to do both each time (though you'd still have two keypads). You could probably also do something similar with smart doorbells that allow for lock integration triggered either by an app or with biometrics so that one auth triggers both locks.

Edit: You could also do something like August who have a standalone keypad and locks that are just deadbolt pucks, no keypad. They're kind of pricey and I can't speak to their reliability or their ability to integrate with HomeAssistant, but it would probably look the best.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 3, 2023

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok, yeah, I'm fine with having 2 keypads if one triggers the other. So I'd just have to make sure the locks I get are compatible with Home Assistant? (I'm totally new to all of this.)

Yeah, and I would guess that two locks from the same manufacturer (assuming it's one of the major ones like Schlage, Yale, Kwickset) they can probably set this up in their own apps without needing HomeAssistant. Though I've been surprised before had how bad some of the native apps are for smart stuff.

I can only personally speak to Schlage, I have an older model Z-Wave one and managing the lock from HomeAssistant is very easy and there are blueprints for setting up multiple locks and creating automations.

If you don't already use HomeAssistant though, you might be able to also set up this sort of automation in Homekit, Alexa, or Google Home if the lock's compatible with those. I haven't used them myself so I'm not sure how feasible that is but it would mean you don't have to learn how to create a HomeAssistant server if you don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 3, 2023

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

That Works posted:

I got rid of all the Alexa/ Echo devices and run HA. I use the iOS shortcuts and use Siri/ my partner and I’s iPhones as the voice detection component and let Siri fire off the shortcuts.

Works decently although setting up the shortcuts is a bit more tedious but you can share them with others so only one person has to take the time for it.

https://companion.home-assistant.io/docs/integrations/siri-shortcuts/

E: i also set up a cheap fire tablet as a permanent kiosk that lives on a stand in the kitchen and only displays a control dashboard with our calendar, a weather radar/forecast, the thermostats and the light switches / status as well as another block showing status for any door sensors.

https://xtremeownage.com/2022/07/08/fire-tablet-as-home-assistant-kiosk/

Hm, I'm going to have to try and set this up for my wife. I have been using Mycroft with a little Pi4 and Jabber speakerphone puck as a house voice assistant but it struggles with female voices. If my wife could just use Siri that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Kylaer posted:

Any opinions on SimpliSafe as a low-effort home security system? I don't want automated police calls or video surveillance, just to set up a couple of indoor motion detectors and a loud alarm. Having a physical keypad as well as app control seems nice too. If this is a trap and there's something that does it better, though, I'd appreciate input.

I've heard good things for both SimpliSafe and Abode