Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
This thread seems mostly focused on cameras and such, but I am wondering if anyone here has any experience or recommendations about fire/smoke alarms.

I know the nest protect apparently sucks, but do any of these systems have any similar products? Any of the DIY smart home stuff offer any integration with fire safety devices? I'm basically just looking for something that can tell me if there is an event when I'm not home, any advice is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Pitre posted:

I'm not aware of the Nest Protect sucking. I've had one for a year and it seems fine. I like the nightlight feature when I walk under it in the dark. It can help my Nest thermostat to know when the house is occupied. It did a fine job of alerting me when there was a kitchen fire that let out enough smoke to set it off (the other regular smoke alarms went off a few seconds afterwards). Wife doesn't blacken chicken on cast iron in there anymore...

If you don't like Nest then try something like a First Alert 2-in-1 Z-Wave Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm on Amazon.

Hmm, there was a decent bit of publicity regarding nest protects having overly frequent false alarms and overall not working as advertised. I know it was mostly first gen units. Is yours second gen? On paper it seems like an awesome product, I'm just hesitant give what I've read.

I'll check out the z wave first alert also, thanks.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Looking to throw up a couple surveillance cameras and have it record locally, as well be able to pull up a live feed. Any companies or systems goons can point me to as a starting spot? Nothing extreme just 2 or 3 cameras with decent resolution.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the input all, good places to start. Its actually for a small business, not a home, but like I said, simple needs. Anyone got any experience with Synology Surveillance station? It looks really really nice, although obviously not the cheapest solution.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Dbhjed posted:

I have this setup in my house, but it is more per light in a room room. I have a motion sensors, hue bulbs, and smart things, based on the time and other factors as you walk from room to hallway to another room the lights turn off and on behind and in front of you.

I also have hue light strips under the bed and motion sensors on each side as you walk around the bed room at night the bed under glow turns on, great for not disturbing your partner while they are sleeping but allowing you to see.

Between the motion sensors and Echo, I haven't had to touch a light switch in well over 2 years.

Can you give me a little more detail here? it sounds awesome. Hue bulbs I get. Smart things I think I get, looks like its a video monitoring system, but I guess its a general smart hub as well? What motion sensors do you use? Thanks.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Can anyone here point me to a comprehensive breakdown of major smart home ecosystems? I would like to get some basic stuff set up, but I am having a hard time figuring out what system to buy into. The cost of these things isn't trivial when you look at the number of outlets, switches and single purpose devices in a decent sized home and I am worried about sinking too much money into it and finding out its a dead end standard or whatnot.

For a more specific question, does any other company make anything comparable to Insteons 6 and 8 button smart switches? Those seem like a really nice implementation for easy scene selection and control without having to mess with my phone or voice, but form what I can tell Insteon is a closed system and no on else can talk to their stuff. Is that right? What do people suggest?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

SpaceCadetBob posted:

It certainly feels like this market is exploding/about to explode even more.

I know a lot of us use disparate systems, I know I really only have a good handle on Philips Hue and Alexa stuff. Maybe we should think about collaborating on a new thread OP. I don't know enough about the market to add to much, but could easily write up sections on Hue, and Alexa.

Agreed. I have nothing to contribute to it unfortunately, but a comprehensive OP would be fantastic. Well maintained and informative OP's are one of the best things about SA in my experience. That aspect of this community has been invaluable to me in the past.

TraderStav posted:

I went through this exercise a few months back as I was in the same position as you. I ended up going with Insteon for the reason that my neighbo already used it and so it was easy to implement from his experience.

All of my research led me to the point that no matter what you decide to do, there's ALWAYS an option to tie them all together with a different hub/software configuration. There are solutions that will control Zwave, Insteon, Hue, Homekit all from one central solution. So go with one of them and do not be overly concerned about investing too much into one protocol only to switch a few years down the road and lose that investment. There's always a way to use the old stuff.

By that time you'll likely WANT to have the more comprehensive and more advanced hubs as well...

Huh, good to know. I would be very interested in finding out what could bridge Insteon with Smart Things. Looks like potentially Logitech Harmony works with both, although not officially with smart things. This stuff is a maze right.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Ok, I am looking at getting some Insteon stuff and I am hoping someone who knows more about it than me can give me some insight on a few questions.

First, whats the deal with the different iterations of the Insteon hub? For example, I can buy this: https://goo.gl/k6qJgG which is a hub and 2 dimmers, for less than the cost of the hub itself as linked from Insteon. But I think it might be an older model? It is unclear. So, any advice on the Hubs? I don't care about Homekit.

Second, I want to know if I can actually do what I want, and if so, DO I need anything additional.

I have a room with 1 light switch, controlling 1 switched outlet. it has 3 lamps total. 1 on the switched outlet, and 2 on separate, unswitched outlets. I want to have the single switch turn on, and dimm, all 3 lamps. I want to be able to control it all from that switch without having to use my phone (beyond setup of course). So, how to go about this? Seems like I need 1 hub, 2 dimmer modules and 1 dimmer switch. I create a scene essentially that is all 3 lights and set the dimmer switch to control the scene on/off. What I am unclear on, is being able to then control the dimming level of all 3 at the same time. So, any thoughts?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

TraderStav posted:

That package is selling at Costco for $29.97 and yes, it's cheaper than the smarthome.com website. It's a steal for getting started with Insteon. The 'newer' hub supports homekit but apparently is a disaster in other respects. That one in the package with the dimmers is the one you want. Down the road you a can swap out the hub for newer/different solutions and use your existing switches/equipment.

You can do what you are saying, essentially you would be having the smart switch be the controller and you'd have to set up the dimmer switches to be responders. It's not super straight forward as a process but it's very doable. There are instructions in the manual. You'll go back and forth between the switch and dimmer with key presses to get it right. I have this set up in my rooms with two switches for one ceiling light.

Awesome, thanks. I have a Costco membership too so thats fantastic.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

TraderStav posted:

Yup, you're basically two months behind me so keep tossing out questions. Pick up an Amazon Echo while you're at it. It makes it SOO much better. I've heard complaints around Insteon (here and elsewhere) but overall I've been very happy with it for my purposes.

Cool, Will do. The reason I'm gravitating towards Insteon, is that as far as I can tell, its got the best setup for keeping control off the smartphone. I really really want to avoid getting to a place where I have to pull out my phone to perform any operation that isn't very complex. I also want complete functionality for a guest and all.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Can anyone tell me what happens to Insteon products of my internet goes out? Will everything come crashing down, or will my wall switches still work? What if I have a wall switch configured to toggle a scene?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
What are the recommended LED bulbs for quality dimming? I have one of those sunrise alarm clocks, which is great, but now with the current tech, it seems like I should be able to turn any lamp into one, and I want to do that in my daughters room. My preference is to do it with a dumb bulb hooked up to a smart switch (I have some Insteon stuff already). I have a bunch of dimmable LED's but they don't do a good job of going really dim, I would say they don't dim below about 20%, and I would like a decent bulb that can dim smoothly all the way down.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Subjunctive posted:

3-way switches work fine. I have 3 3-way and 1 4-way right now with the HomeSeer Z-wave ones, no problems at all.

Just looked at these cause of your post, looks like a good system. So you use 1 spot in the 3 way for a smart switch and then the cheaper add on ones int he others? Are you using one of the Homeseer Hubs? How do you like them?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Three Olives posted:

Yes, the work fine, your smart hub will know that the two are interconnected when you set it up. I actually have 4 smart bulbs because I put in 2 Wink Relays which have light switches but not dimmers, they work perfectly fine together, the hub knows that for on/off to use the smart switch, for dimming to use the bulb and that the smart switch has to be on to control the dimming.

I think I follow what you are saying, but, can you control the actual color from a switch? Or is the set up: works like a normal light/bulb from the switch, move to smartphone for more advanced features like color?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
So, I will be getting a new entry door soon, so it seems like a good time to look at maybe getting a smart lock. Anyone got impressions, good or bad of the various options out there? The only smart stuff I have in my house right is a couple Insteon switches, so I'm not tied to any particular standard.

Requirements would be: Absolutely must have an actual key that can be used, cause gently caress getting locked out from a power outage etc. It cant require cloud connectivity to work, for the same reasons.

It seems like my preference would be similar to the way my car works, where just having the fob on me lets me unlock the door by touch, but thats not a requirement. One time guest codes seem like a good feature too.

So, any recommendations? Anything to absolutely avoid?

Edit: We do not have any apple devices, so Homekit only type stuff is probably a no go.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the lock info all, very helpful.

Does anyone have any actual hands on use experience with the Kevo 2nd generation? The touch to open sounds good, but some reviews I'm reading on the kwikset site make it sound like its poorly implemented. Id trust actual goon reviews more though. How reliable is it to open with touch and not have to launch an app?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Looking for some recommendations on lighting control for a renovation I am working on, here is the rundown of requirements:

I need to control 6 different lighting circuits. All circuits must be dimmable. I need control through wall switches, while having an app for setup and occasional use is not a problem, I do not want to use an app as a primary controller. The lights themselves have a variety of form factors and applications, so control must be managed by the switches, not the bulbs. I would like the ability to set a few different scenes, so I can 1 button press and have all 6 move to a predetermined state. I would like to avoid reliance on the cloud for actual day to day functionality, I don't have an issue with a local hub, but I don't want to have to hit an external server to dim the lights. I have no desire to automate anything beyond activating preset scenes.

Currently I am not invested in any particular ecosystem, so there are no concerns there. I have a few Insteon (lol) lamp plugs, but they are simplistic and fully independently functional. Future expandability is something I would like to consider, but I currently have no additional known uses. I am reasonably tech savvy and run a home server anyway so I can handle some DIY if needed.

I am looking at Lutron Caseta stuff, but my knowledge is very limited here, all suggestions welcome.

edit: I have a neutral everywhere so no concerns on that.

emocrat fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 4, 2022

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Does anyone have experience with Lutron Caseta beyond just a simple dimmer? It seems like what they offer will meet my needs, IF I can get the my hands on the 4 key Pico remotes. However, they don't seem to be sold to consumers, despite being part of the Caseta line. Anyone have any insight on good ways to acquire them? If I would have issues integrating them to a basic caseta system?(like, maybe they are digitally locked to commercial installers or something). Also interested in any alternative systems that offer quality wall interfaces with physical scene selection buttons. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Is there a thread recommended smartish but not that smart thermostat?

My use case is like this: I have 2 zones, original zone serviced by a NG furnace + AC and an addition serviced by a heat pump. Currently they have separate thermostats that don't talk to each other at all. Addition is a basic programmable honeywell, main home is a sensi smart unit.

I don't really care about anything fancy, I don't want it to try and figure out what I want, id just like both zones to be programable and have the ability to be synced up, and controlled by the same app. Any suggestions?