Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Hey thread, looking for some advice. My parents have a few ring cams and a doorbell set up. They would like to monitor the camera feeds via some sort of wall-mounted screen. Like a moron, I suggested they get an ipad with a wall mount and simply run the ring app on the ipad in Guided Access mode.

Well, the ring app is complete garbage on iPad. It shows the camera feeds in a single column in the middle of the screen, with tons of white space on either side, clearly designed for a phone interface and they don't appear to be investing in a proper tablet app ever.

"Ok! We'll just use Apple Home and that'll look really nice on your wall"

Ah, ring doesn't support homekit at all because they want me to buy their lovely-looking Echo Show devices instead. I'm tech savvy enough to set up homebridge or scrypted and get it working, but before investing the time I was curious if anyone has experience with either and would recommend one over the other? Or maybe a third option I'm not aware of?

My longterm project for them is to jettison control4 from their home because it's overly complicated for them and they just gripe about it and bitch that nothing ever works, but that would designate ME as their tech support person going forward and that's a fate I'd like to avoid. They like apple products so Homekit seems like the best option, but as a homeassistant user I've always viewed homekit as the most poorly executed Apple ecosystem. Is that impression incorrect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Three Olives posted:

But then you got to Control4 and WTF? Is it like some ancient completely unsupported system? Because Control4 is good and completely integrates into camera systems. WTF are they doing with a Control4 system and some lovely Ring cameras?

Yeah I don't fuckin get it either. Their C4 has never been that great because like typical boomers they've got way too much poo poo to integrate. They have C4 sitting on top of lighting, like 2 different streaming boxes for some reason, cable tv, music, electric shades, a pool heater, a universal remote, etc. It's absurd and because the integrations are messy, they've grown to feel that C4 is the problem and not their terrible product choices and bloat. It appears they went with Ring because it was simple to acquire and setup and they didn't have to get it all integrated in C4 but like... That's the point of C4!!

The cherry on top is I was explaining how they could run iPads in split view with Ring and C4 side by side to kinda get things back on track and they shrugged saying all they really do is bark Alexa commands to get things done in the house. Its mind boggling. Why would you run Alexa at all when you have Control4?!

bobfather posted:

Scrypted (free version that you self-host) is infinitely better than Homebridge plugins. I’m not even sure that any Homebridge plugins enable HomeKit Secure Video, but Scrypted definitely does.

Thanks!

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 4, 2024