Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
What is the recommended outdoor camera system, preferably with poe and a dome? I'm looking at Amcrest, hikvision, or ubiquiti.

How does this look?
Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 3 Megapixel POE Vandal Dome IP Security Camera - $119
http://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Outdoor-Megapixel-Vandal-Security/dp/B01E7QO3AA

With

Amcrest NV1104E 1080p POE NVR - $129
http://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-NV1104E-1080p-Network-Recorder/dp/B00X4UDG36

And a surveillance harddrive, probably a WD purple drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Next-Gen posted:

The amcrest is a rebranded Dahua IPC-HDBW1300E; all of Amcrest's IP cams are dahua to the best of my knowledge so they're gonna be decent. You can theoretically get the cam cheaper by buying the dahua directly but you don't get firmware upgrades/support/warranty with them. Hikvision would be a good choice too, haven't seen much new from ubiquiti lately but i seem to recall to get 1080p+ it's at least 400 bucks from them.

As for the NVR, it looks fine as long as you aren't expecting to go over 4 cams.

Ubiquiti has a new dome interior/exterior model UVC‑G3‑DOME that is not yet released. It is on presale at B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1244763-REG/ubiquiti_networks_uvc_g3_dome_unifi_g3_series_2mp.html
Only thing is it is apparently only 2 MP. That may or may not be a bad thing if I am going with that NVR or a similar priced one, apparently (from further reading) the cheaper NVR's cannot handle all of the channels @ maximum resolution. I may just have to re-purpose my old i5-750 computer and install blue iris with a POE switch. Although I am only looking at one camera right now, I would like the option of 3-4 cameras @ maximum resolution.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
That is good info, I decided on a Dahua 4MP for $112 off amazon. http://www.amazon.com/SavvyPixel-4megapixel-Security-Network-Surveillance/dp/B01F6X4QU0

Along with a TP-Link 8 port switch (4 with POE) for $47. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-8-Port-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SF1008P/dp/B003CFATT2

From what I am reading, I should be able to get my old first gen i5 to run possibly two of these cameras. Apparently a 3MP stream requires a cpu thread with around a 2000 passmark score, any my i5-750 should have a total passmark score of ~4000. Not sure which software to use, it seems that blue iris is the most popular. Any recommendations on software? I need it to handle 3 or 4MP streams and motion sensor recording/email alerts with hopefully some kind of mobile device app that allows me to remote view a low res stream.

Next-Gen posted:

If you're just going for one right now, these cams are perfectly capable as standalone devices. I run 4 cams on the built in webservers for each and they work great, then feed the recordings to a NAS on the network. Works great.

I think I will probably go this route and set up my older computer as a NAS. It will not be used for hosting/streaming media files.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Got my camera set up in the corner of my Garage. I knew that there were issues with IR light hitting the sides of the metal dome, what i didn't know was that the camera base is fixed. What I mean by that is that the camera can rotate its lens 180 degrees but tilting is in a fixed position. There is a screw at the base that can be loosened to presumably rotate the camera, but the wiring prevents that. If I knew that earlier, I would have experimented more with the placement prior to drilling a 3/4" hole in my wall for the wiring.

This is my garage with the IR bleed on the right half and my garage rafters at the top taking up valuable real estate. Next time I set up a cam in a corner, I'll just build out a 45 degree wall to get that perfect angle.

Hi Jinx posted:

BlueIris is fantastic.

Well, it's fantastic compared to its competitors, which is not saying much. But after using the abhorrent GeoVision stuff, and having a brief adventure with iSpy, I am super glad I bought BlueIris.

I haven't tried blue iris yet, but i am leaning to it if I get a bunch of cameras. I tried Dahua's Smart PSS program, but I think in the mean time I will set up my older i5 computer as a NAS and just push video to it with my single camera. I have figured out and set up motion detection on the camera, which sends a snapshot to my email. For some reason, the camera sends out two separate emails at the same time which are almost identical save that only one has a picture attached.

What is the recommended method to remote view on an iphone or android? E: this is direct to the camera from the internet, and not via software like blueiris or an NVR.

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 13, 2016

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I managed to change the default ports for http, tcp and udp ports. Then I can log into the camera from within my network. I'm having trouble with externally logging on. I believe it is partially because I have a ubee cable modem that also is a router before my actual router. I thought that the firewall was disabled on the ubee modem (the wifi is disabled), but before I left home I was looking around and it has some port blocking etc.

I suspect this is the problem, because as a last resort, I put the camera in the dmz and I still couldn't log into it from an external source.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Frank Dillinger posted:

Thanks, Pitre!

Are the dome versions just as good? I think I'd rather have domes, aesthetically speaking, unless they have major drawbacks. Unfortunately, Amazon.ca prices are way higher than USA, 190CAD or so, but I think I'll troll around aliexpress for a decent seller.

Pay close attention to the fov, I picked out a 2.8mm dome dahua and it's fov is just under 90 degrees. A 4mm will have a narrower fov.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Vivint is overpriced, I signed with them, then immediately priced the products I was getting on amazon. To cancel the contract, you have to have the loving thing at their main office in three days, so I was down 30 bucks to expidite the cancellation.

Instead I just got a dahua dome poe camera and have it email me motion detected pictures with a seperate gmail account. I am planning on going wired sensors but haven't gone farther than planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

CharlesM posted:

Any time you get a service from someone they are going to charge more than Amazon. That's very normal. Also this poster was looking for a company with a monitoring service.

Monitoring service is separate from the actual product you can get installed. For example, door and window sensors do not only work for ADT. Thus, the option to price out product from other places like say amazon. In my experience as a person who almost bought through Vivint, I priced the door and window sensors on amazon. I then subtracted that amount from the cost of the Vivint contract, and discovered that the service portion was quite expensive.

I was excited for time warner's new (at the time) monitoring service, but as I stated earlier did not get past the planning stage.