Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Maaaaaybe you should start by being specific yourself.

Open based on what criteria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Sanity check, please.

I’ve got a Honeywell RTH9580WF thermostat, and I’m tired of Alexa not being able to change from heat to cool, and its own scheduling sucks. (App’s pretty good, though.)

Talk me out of getting an ecobee3 Lite and buying a couple of sensors rather than getting an ecobee4 (that I’ll immediately turn off its built in Alexa integration and just let me Echos run it).

Seems like the 3 has better hardware quality, I have a c-wire, and I don’t mind buying sensors a la carte given the lower price of the 3.

Rational reasons against this choice, such that I should choose the 4?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Oooh, the red-light disabled Alexa in the 4 could be a WAF problem.

Funny how this is the very day I'm strongly considering this, given the price cut of the 4.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thank you all for your input. I've gone with the 3 since I found a deal on sensors, and my old 1973 home only has a simple furnace and heat pump.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

housefly posted:

Where did you find the sensor deal? I’m interested in picking one or two up.
Sorry, local CL guy.. lucky find.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Thomamelas posted:

PC with Blue Iris. And Hik is a fine option as long as you understand that the cameras should be behind a firewall with no port forwarding or other direct exposure to the internet.
VPN access to the host for remote viewing would be okay, right? (Edgerouter Lite 3 with L2TP/IPSec)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Oh, indeed. No access to the Internet by the cameras themselves, you bet.. but the VMS made VPN-viewable.

Roger that.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

CopperHound posted:

Okay... I didn't realize what a clusterfuck security camera supply chains are. The only direct to consumer vendor I can find that doesn't seem sketchy as gently caress is B&H, but they cost ~$100 more than I was expecting.

Legitimately curious: What price point were you hoping for, and what price did you find (expensive)?

Not being argumentative, but B&H’s prices seem.. completely normal.

Were you envisioning like $30 cameras?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

CopperHound posted:

I was expecting $100-150 for decent fixed lense cameras of various focal lengths.
Each, or total? If the former, we gotta be looking at different B&H.com websites, because that’s about all I see... :raise:

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Droo posted:

All the ones I see on B&H are over $200 except like two for just under.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...rt&N=3880127377
Ah, wait, weird!

I'd been looking up B&H Photo on Safari on my phone all this time, and for the item B&H# HIDS2CD2132I MFR# DS-2CD2132F-I-2.8MM, 3MP 2.8mm outdoor, my phone shows $106 whereas Chrome on my PC shows $206... the hell?

The one you linked, the B&H# HI2CD2142FWD, is $243 on my PC, as you've seen, but on my phone it's $151.07 (below)

Same Hikvision and B&H part numbers.

This is why I've been confused, perhaps. Anyone else confirm?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I feel better now. Kind of.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Matt Zerella posted:

If I have a NAS running 24/7, does that mean I don't need a hue hub if I use something like Home Assistant? I think I get what HA does, it kind of ties everything together for different smart home stuff?

Does your NAS have z-wave and Zigbee radios, etc?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Use “bedroom lights,” not “lights in bedroom.”

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Anyone had recent experience with blinds from either Lutron's Serena line or from ZebraBlinds?

We're not super picky about the blinds themselves (vanity, fabrics, snazz) but are more interested in the quality of their Z-wave radios, remotes, and motors.

The price difference isn't straight up double, but it's close. We're looking at single blackout rollers or blackout cellular and would upgrade to double rollers in a few big rooms for both blackout and diffuse sweetness.

Point out any pitfalls, goons?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is it just me, or the Live Chat button on the Smartthings support page completely unclickable? Only the email button responds...

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us

Leftover from the big NA outtage two days ago, maybe?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
So, everybody wants blinds but nobody’s got ‘em?

A trip report would be superb. Mind you, both Zebra and Lutron look nice, but I’d love 1st party feedback.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Please.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
My home keeps the peace by having a physical switch, even if just a wireless one, mounted on the wall like the batteried Hue one, at every point we were used to the old rockers.

So switch touch, voice, or app works. Said personal hell is avoidable. It just costs more.

(I have gently caress all for common wires at like 75% of my switches/outlets, soooo...)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Zero VGS posted:

It's stupid, I got one for free with my smart phone and flipped it on eBay for $30

I stick with SmartHub for the home control stuff since it has a more singular focus, and no microphone.
When did SmartHub release a smart speaker like the Mini?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Honest opinion, as in “I honestly think your question is best answered by ignoring the main focus of the question?” You really thought his girlfriend specifically *didn’t* want a speaker-based device?

To hell with an argument of popularity, how about answers with topicality.

Ah.... but your hot take wouldn’t fit in then, huh? And, like, your experience would be, what... antithetical?

I should stop answering my own questions, I think.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Zero VGS posted:

I hadn't read anyone else's replies when I made the comment about it being a dumb gimmick
Super apparent.. we know. That's why your myopic (hot)take got called out.

Let's all be better posters. Topcality, you see...!

I'd say the Minis sound a smidge better than an Echo Dot, but I agree with Thermoplye that most any non-flagship model speaker should be piped through a better sound system, AVR, etc.

(Yes, hot take is a disparaging statement.)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Housefly, in addition to advice you’ve been given, I’d like to add that I recently had a four-way dumb switch setup (3 locations with old rockers, 2x 4T8 luminaires) that’s been upgraded to a smart-smart-dumb setup (Leviton Lumina RFs).

Existing wiring was such that the last remaining dumb rocker was never touched. Thrown, it totally turns off the two overhead fixtures, while in the on position it just lets the radios in the smart switches function normally.

/recent anecdote

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I’d love to hear about this as well as I’m about to expand into one or the other, and I’m leaning towards HA.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
The Mini’s logo isn’t oriented to magnetic North, is it? Plus or minus 15 degrees? Cause that’ll do it.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
For what application?

FOV with striking brightness and dark shadows?

Long shot needing deep focal depths?

Vandall resistant / high rando activity area?

For dirt cheap (turrets) for $52 on AliExpress for grey market kit?

For night time ... at all? A Starlight with Sony Starvis sensor!

In general, the 2~12mm+ Varifocal lens and Starvis CMOS by Sony, in a compact turret FF, make the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE an awesome camera and a non-terrible price (if you get them through Andy of EmpireTec, they’re about $168.

No better bang for the buck, almost.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 13, 2018

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Ah, the please reread my edited post.

So, these are strictly for daylight hours?

You need dome for physical trauma resistant, right?

FOV can often be quite wide. I’m hoping we’re not confusing focal depths for FOV... (although the adjustment of focal depth indeed affect FOV).

Also, I can’t find any cam worth buying that doesn’t have IR blasters and lowlight mode. You can turn those off thought, if your target zone is perpetually light.

Finally, you want control of camera over LAN. Does this mean you can access their GUIs and adjust brightness, etc. as well as set focal depth on a verifocal model?

Or, do you envision a whole setup where you spend a whole bunch of money on Pan, Tilt, Zoom (PTZ controls) cameras.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 13, 2018

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Okay, you DO want a PTZ camera. I dome would indeed best hide movement, but many PTZ models exist. Again, they’re all gonna have night vision and IR blasters that you will apparently want to turn off.

Edit: And it’s gonna cost three to four bills (or half that on AliExpress if you order through Andy)

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 13, 2018

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
FWIW, it's does B, G, and N.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Lord, don't turn on b, whatever you do.

It does nasty things to the devices connected to the newer specs.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Medullah posted:

My only real problem with Blue Iris vs cloud hosting was that if the power went out I was SOL. I was on a week long trip and my power went out the day I left for about 8 hours, so while my battery backup lasted a bit, it wasn't enough and the PC didn't reboot by itself.

So, you've battery powered cameras recording to microSD cards, ya?

Or does your UPS run your WiFi/WAP/router and/or your POE switch along with your recorder?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Any recommendations for door open/close sensors.. something z-wave perhaps, SmartThings-compatible (sane thing I guess) that'll push notify a phone?

Also, audio sensors for glass breaking?

Thank you.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
They could very well deal with six month battery changes, even three months maybe.

They're dead set on Arlo Ultras to go with these, wirelessly, so they'll be in the habit.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
With what Google is doing to Nest, you might want to consider other hardware....

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
This might be a bit out of scope..

I'm looking for a self-monitored security system that allows for zones. There's a building with three areas, and some people need access to all three areas and some people must be kept to only one, etc. Three keypad/fob stations, one per area.

Having a hard time. Any suggestions?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
How many people afraid of Dahua/Hikvision/et all dialing home to China give their cameras valid gateway / DNS values?

Honest question: Are they concerned these cameras defy TCP/IP and have hidden Internet access buried in there silicon? Even in the face of wiresharked data showing otherwise?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I should have clarified better.

My question should have been, "Absent a separate VLAN but given that cameras are setup without any gateway nor DNS servers defined, how certain are one's observations that these (two brands of) cameras are reaching out to anything at all?"

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
It means do devices on your local network need to talk to other devices on your network, or do they just need Internet access?

An example of the former could be a laptop and a WiFi printer, or a tablet and a Chromecast.

An example of the latter would be a device that literally only talk to the Internet (web browsing, Spotify, etc.)

Devices in the latter category could be siloed off from one another in the ways Moey said.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Nth-ing the slew of responses about Blue Iris

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I debated going with a camera system that doesn't use wifi in order to keep the video private, but being able to check from my phone is too valuable to pass up.
Those two goals are not mutually exclusive. Have you heard of Blue Iris?

I've got eight BI servers in my phone's app right here.

I assume you didn't mean, "I want an NVR without any Internet connection" based on your other posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Frank Dillinger posted:

There’s an iOS app too. Just as janky, but functional.

Ditto. Apps have been around for years