Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hue stuff is 20% off at Target. In store only, no online pickup orders. Limit of 4 items.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14872690-philips-hue-in-store-target-circle-20-off-through-march-6-5-red-card

It does appear that Amazon currently has the strip base kit for essentially the same price as the Target sale, which looks to be the lowest price ever on Amazon.

I just picked up the 4x colored bulb/bridge starter kit and 3x white A19 lights from my local store. My first Hue purchases down the rabbit hole.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I tried the Blink cams probably 6 months ago and I was super not impressed by the range of the sync module, and the fact that you couldn't have 2 sync modules in one system. I have a camera out back and one over my driveway, and like your situation, there was no central location for both cams to reach the sync module.

Also the non-granular notification settings was a deal-killer. I returned them all for Ring cameras and they've been great.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just set up my first Hue bridge and light. It removed every loving HomeKit device from its room and all are now in “default room.” I have to reassign everything to its room again :argh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Seriously what the gently caress it keeps doing it after I fix everything. I have to be doing something wrong?

e: Huh, I guess I can’t sync the Hue rooms with HomeKit or it does that bullshit. That’s really annoying.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 7, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rick posted:

I don’t think it is possible to use both. I think you can sync it around with HomeAassitant but I abandoned the Hue App a long time ago (the current one, I still use the 1.0 retired ap because you can make scenes with pictures and it just has no idea that rooms exist).

I found a post on reddit that basically said rooms that are added in Home are different than new rooms synched to Home from another app. And because an existing room that I created in Home is being synched to, from an external app, it causes all sorts of issues and throws existing devices into Default Room.

The maybe possibly workaround is to move all non-Hue devices to a random room, delete the existing room from Home, create the room in Hue app, then sync it to Home, then move non-Hue devices to the "new" room in Home. I didn't bother since I have a lot of devices. I just keep them unsynched in the Hue app, and deal with it bugging me to sync rooms every time I load it up. It still seems to sync device names from Hue app to Home just fine. :iiam:

What a mess.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Switches are much better in the case you don't want wacky colored lights or in the case of dimmer switches. Personally, I had a hard time not putting wacky colored Hue BR30s in my kitchen for the hell of it. I'll fully admit that it is annoying trying to turn them on via my Homepod Mini or my phone and realizing someone flipped the switch off though.

On the other hand, I put wacky-colored Hues around my pool. I love having colored smart bulbs that I can change on the fly with different scenes. I have the transformer tapped off my pool panel 120, so there's no switch.

So I do see use-cases for both, and I definitely plan on getting some Lutron Caseta switches for certain switches inside the house, but especially for the dimmable lights that we have.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

That pool lighting is beautiful.

Thanks! I’m pleased how it turned out. We’re getting sod laid behind the pool shortly, so it won’t look like the wasteland it does currently during the day. I might throw a couple more bollard lights around the concrete/grass border and maybe light strips (instead of the bulbs) along the bottom of the fence or something. Long term plan though once I financially recover from buying the 4 Hue outdoor lights.

Just keep in mind that if you go ham with wifi-only lights, you A) rely on wifi not somehow being down when you want to turn lights on and off and B) have 100 more devices slamming your router.

And yes, once you start putting a couple in, it’ll quickly turn into 100 when you realize how cool it is to have wacky sex lights in your bathroom. Because reasons.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We have the Roomba i8 (Costco SKU) and love it. The self-emptying bin is an absolute game-changer. I have kids and don’t bother with the schedules since there’s always poo poo all over the floor. I have to do a quick general pickup before I send it on its way, so I just trigger all my runs manually. With the i8 (it’s really an i7, but came with extra stuff and a bigger battery I think), you can queue up a job and send it to specific rooms or areas instead of just blasting the whole floor every time.

Every couple weeks I clean out the rollers since we accumulate a ton of long girl hair that loves to get wrapped around all the parts. Other than that, it’s generally been maintenance free since we started using it in December. Haven’t even emptied the bag in the tower once yet either, shockingly. I think I paid $550 or $600 on a Black Friday deal. I think it’s a bit above your budget, but worth at least considering for the self-emptying bin alone.

Looked at the M6 mopbot, but decided it would be annoying to refill it every time. They need one that taps into a fridge water line and a periscope to dump the dirty water into the sink :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I didn't like not having a hardware switch for the smart bulb in my bedroom lamp, so I picked up this button:
https://www.amazon.com/Aqara-WXKG11LM-Switch-Wireless-Remote/dp/B07D19YXND/

Despite what the description says, it's a standard Zigbee device and synced just fine with my HUSBZB-1 hub.

With a bit of scripting, I managed to do this:

- Single press: toggle lamp (and set to 100% bright/255 color if on)

- Long press: set lamp brightness to 50% (turning on if necessary)

- Double press: set entire house to "bedtime mode" (everything off except a couple of dim nightlights)

I'm already planning some more buttons with custom automations in other areas. I... think I might have a problem.

This is nice. It gets real annoying having to talk into my phone or HomePod to turn lights on and off without flipping the non-smart switch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lutron P-BDG-PKG2W-A Wireless Deluxe Dimmer Bridge Caseta Smart Start Kit, White, 2 Count

$132, looks like $30 off on Amazon.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What's up with a few of my Hue bulbs randomly going offline? They become unresponsive and when I'm not home, I get angry wife messages about how the kitchen lights aren't working. I've never had any issues with distance from the hub either, even my outdoor lights can hit it just fine. I tried rebooting the hub, but the only thing that seemed to fix it was deleting the bulb in the Hue app and re-adding it. Which is a massive pain because I have to go back and re-add it to all of my Homekit automations again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hmm, maybe that's it? The hub has to be plugged into the router, so of course it's going to be right next to it. I'll play with the exact spots of them next time it happens. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That Works posted:

I run my HA instance on a VM which is on my Unraid server / NAS that I use for all my :filez: and PLEX etc. It was really easy to get up and running and I am happy that it can piggyback so easily onto an already 'always on' device.

I've got your same setup, but opted for a Pi to run Homebridge on. Mostly because I just wanted to dick around with a Pi, but also because my toddlers like to push the "blue button" on my NAS and turn it off randomly :v:

That said, any easy way to auto backup the image on the SD card?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Baxate posted:

Its wild. It recognizes both of our voices no matter which profile its set to. You can ask it who's speaking and it repeats your name to you. But if I ask it "play music I like", it starts playing my girlfriend's station on Apple Music if its on her profile or vice versa. And yeah for some ungodly reason it can't control the devices it knows about if the wrong profile is set.

Wow, this makes me glad I have a bunch of HomePod Minis.

For as much as Siri is lacking, it does a really good job at recognizing different voices.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

About how many lutron or smart switches are you goons using per area? In my new house I have a bunch of triple plate switches that I'm trying to find out how to buy for.

Arg, I got so many triple switches throughout my house that I’m going to be dealing with the same thing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How do I Lutron Caseta this switch?

Left is a fan on/off on the bottom of the fan speed dimmer.
Middle is the fan light dimmer.
Right is an outlet switch.

I’d really like to automate the fan light for sure, but the fan speed would be neat as well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

as long as you have a white wire in the box, just replace each with the appropriate smart switch - fan for fan, light for light
the key thing is making sure you use a switch meant for a fan on the fan control otherwise you can cause problems

Even with the two controls on one switch on the left? I almost feel like that needs to be broken out into two switches.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool, thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kalman posted:

Yeah, if someone wants to get into your house your door lock probably isn’t the weak point.

TBH for me the nicest part of my smart lock (Schlage Zwave lock) is the keypad and being able to add/remove/temporarily enable and disable codes. Haven’t had to carry a house key in years, can give house-sitters a code that only works while they’re house sitting, get notifications based on who unlocked the door, etc. Can definitely recommend the Schlage smart keypad locks.

(If you do go with a keypad lock, you can get them with either key backup or battery backup where you can use a 9V to give it enough power to unlock so you can replace the batteries. If you get a key backup lock MAKE SURE TO STASH THE KEY SOMEWHERE YOU CAN GET TO WHEN YOUR LOCK INEVITABLY DIES WHILE IT IS RAINING HEAVILY. Don’t ask me why I say that.)

What kind of hub do you use for the Schlage Zwave? This looks neat. I'm HomeKit and HomeBridge and see the site only specifically calls out the Alexa capability.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Costco has a 2-pack of Hue Calla bollard lights for $169. A base kit + extension kit is $260 on Amazon. I'm a sucker and bought one to start putting some lighting around our deck. :sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

iOS Hue app was updated with a new UI. Once you open a room, all your lights are listed with horizontal scrolling now instead of vertical. What the hell?! That's ridiculously annoying.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just grab a bunch of rings and pay $100 for a year and be done with it. If things could get weird, what’s $100?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ring flood light cam for $180, normally $250. Lowest price seen by CCC. And if you have Ring Protect Plus (the $100/year unlimited cam plan), it automatically knocks 10% off, which I didn’t know til checkout.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0727XJQLD/

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B0727XJQLD

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The iRobot Braava jet m6 is $300 on prime day. Is this thing any good, or does it chew through expensive cleaner solution and mopping pads like crazy? We have nothing but hard wood and tile floor downstairs and mopping it all on a regular basis sucks rear end. We have the roomba i8+ and it does a great job, but with kids, everything gets sticky.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08TN2GC94

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

We just got that about 2 months ago (they had a mother's day sale so we bought it in a combo with the s9+, not regretting it yet). Been mopping maybe 1x/week on the hardwoods and it does a good job... better than we do, at least.

We've used about 5oz of fluid so far to mop on the order of 1,100 sq ft (still has half a tank left, so that'd probably get us another 200 sq ft). This is using the default spray setting, you can use more or less cleaner optionally. You don't have to use cleaner, you can use water only, but they're very specific in that you must use THEIR cleaner... apparently other cleaners, even stuff like Bona, will eat at the seals, which causes a leak and will in fact damage the internals. This is per reddit, so take it with a grain of salt, but it sounds like their warranty techs know how to figure out if you used an unauthorized cleaner.

Mopping pads are theoretically use-and-toss, but they sell cloth reusable pads that are machine washable (air dry).

Only major gripe so far is that it has to make itself a different map. Ours mapped things slightly askew for some reason, so it runs at a slight angle to the walls. It doesn't share data with the existing robots, so you need to send it out on its own mapping runs. That's kind of a function of its abilities... rugs and thresholds cause it grief that the vacuum can normally navigate without issue, so it needs its own map to avoid those. It can get over some thresholds, especially if you tell it where they are on the map, but honestly it's a good thing that it can't get on to low rugs so you don't need to program it to avoid mopping them.

Awesome thanks! Yeah I saw the washable pads which seemed a bit more palatable than buying a new one each time. The Amazon reviews mention the transition thing as well, which we do have some between tile and hard wood. It would be a bummer if it can’t make it over them, but I suppose I could just return it if that’s the case.

I’m sure their cleaner is overpriced for what it is, but looking at Amazon prices, it doesn’t seem TOO outrageous, especially at the rates you’ve been using it. I think I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for the info!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lutron Caseta 2-dimmer kit for $132:

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/15117169
https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B01M3XJUAD

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

text editor posted:

Yeah none of my Hues have died, I just need some more and don't want to spend the extra if something comparable was around.

When I moved into my new place, I watch Slickdeals for sales and found out our local CostCo had starter sets of 3x White/Color Plus a Hub for $70. I snagged 2 immediately but in retrospect I should have stocked up since that was a clearance price. By the time I had gone back to get a few more, they had pulled them from the floor

Seems like they've also had the starter kits for the LED strips cheap there as well

I just got into Hues last year and holy poo poo, I’ve spent way too much money on them. I just finished outfitting our back yard, pool, kitchen BR30s/cans, and under-cabinet lighting strips. gently caress.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Innr bulbs are about half the price

You’re about 6 months too late :v:
Plus, the reliability of Hue is a huge selling point.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Caseta switches are highly touted in this thread. I don't have any smart switches (yet), but when I do, I would definitely get Caseta's based on this thread's feedback alone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have homebridge set up for all my non-HomeKit devices. How much of a pain in the rear end is it to set up HA? I feel like it’s way more complicated, but also way more powerful.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

It's not longer a dumpster fire to do a basic install, and most things are GUI-controlled, and there is a GUI-driven plug in system. It also has meaningful bad-upgrade recovery built into their underlying OS, and restoring from snapshots/backups actually just works. So from those standpoint it's not bad at all.....now. It was pretty bad before.

Replicating your current automations obviously depends on what you've got going on to start with, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Great thanks. Maybe I’ll give it a look. Was not looking forward to setting it up since homebridge is super easy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

devmd01 posted:

I’m not planning on going crazy.

For a couple weeks at least…

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Quixzlizx posted:

I have a Philips Hue bridge that has been installing a firmware update since 3 PM (it is currently 10:30 PM). Also, my bedroom lights are on.

1. -What are the chances that the update is actually done and/or failed, but the phone app is being non-responsive?

2. Will turning the lights off affect the update?

My lights are all showing up to date. Is this a new light or a new firmware update?

It’s probably safe to turn them off via voice or through the app, but I’d probably leave the switch on overnight just in case.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Eufy2K Indoor cam works great for me, especially with the auto-follow options and people/crying detection. You can load an SD card in it, so I don't know if it actually stores anything in the cloud unless you pay for their cloud service.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0856W45VL

My toddlers can now crawl out of their cribs and like to throw toys at the "robot," so I have to mount it on the wall soon :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’ve thought about it, but only because I have multiple teenagers in my house, all with completely different sports schedules. It’s a nightmare to keep everything straight and people on time everywhere.

I prefer stuff on my phone calendar so it alerts me prior, but my wife writes everything on a paper calendar on the wall. And not everything makes it to the other calendar.

Above the stove has not been considered, however; just one in the downstairs hallway.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rick posted:

I don't know when my router decided to just purge all its assigned IPs but I wish home assistant was a little bit smarter when it came to finding devices so the once a year or so I had a brief power outage didn't mean I lost a ton of integrations. I really don't want to have to get a UPS just for my drat raspberry pi.

Have you tried any of those family calendar managing apps? Just curious, my life does not have enough people in it to justify them but I've read a few articles saying these sorts of apps really help organize modern life.

Got an example of one? I have not; I just use a shared calendar in iOS.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lutron Caseta dimmer switch starter kit for $79, usually $99:
https://slickdeals.net/f/15361078-lutron-caseta-smart-start-kit-dimmer-switch-with-smart-bridge-and-wall-mount-pico-adapter-79-95

Been eyeballing these forever, and now that I'm just about done going down the Hue rabbit hole, I figure it's a good time to start on the next :sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: never mind, I can’t read

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hue has PARs I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Lutron Caseta dimmer switch starter kit for $79, usually $99:
https://slickdeals.net/f/15361078-lutron-caseta-smart-start-kit-dimmer-switch-with-smart-bridge-and-wall-mount-pico-adapter-79-95

Been eyeballing these forever, and now that I'm just about done going down the Hue rabbit hole, I figure it's a good time to start on the next :sigh:

Just installed this. Super easy and works great.

I can see the complaints about it kinda feeling on the “cheap” side since the buttons have some jiggle to them. And I can already anticipate my wife and kids getting annoyed because the dimmer isn’t a physical slider, rather pushable buttons. And it seems that the up/down buttons need to be held for a half-second before it’ll move the dimmer level instead of just a quick push.

That said, I already want to buy more.