Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Gerdalti posted:

I have a few wall switches I want to play with, but I don't want to keep switching off breakers to get them set up. Would it be at all safe to take a computer power cord and strip the end, and use that to power them on my work bench? It would be nice to be able to plug/unplug them easily.

What you're asking for is called a cheater cord or suicide lead depending on where you're from. I do that all the time for testing panels and controllers with my job. I see no danger as long as you develop good habits, used to use cheater cords up to 480V at 100A without incident (personally).

You will need to tin the ends of the wires with solder or crimp something on to keep the wire strands in line. Get in the habit of unplugging it, do something like stick the plug in your pocket or under your arm whenever you need to adjust or move anything. Tug test all the wires before you plug it in and make sure everything is stable enough you don't get an accidental light show. Plug it into a GFI outlet, remember you do this at your own risk.

AND DON'T TOUCH THE SHINY PARTS WHEN YOU PLUG IT IN!

Do the Chamberlain openers or hub require internet connection to work with Home Assistant? I'm trying to keep all of my stuff offline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I need a solar powered wifi camera that can do about 150'/50m minimum range plus one wall, thats about as close as I can get a router to it. Almost everything I have found says nothing about the range and most reviews are people putting it right on their house.

Does anyone have any experience with a camera like that? I'm planning on keeping the camera and NVR computer on a separate network and have driveway sensors I'm working on integrating with Home Assistant, all I need the camera to do is get the plate from the Amazon truck driving across my lawn to the neighbors driveway.

edit: Using the list of compatible cameras on Zoneminder to check what I find against, if it works for that it should work for Shinobi I'm thinking.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 3, 2022

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

fletcher posted:

I think you may need to consider a more elaborate setup for something like that, handling solar + battery as well as network connectivity separate from the camera itself rather than having an all in one solution. I would consider running a POE line instead if it's feasible

I'm trying to avoid coming up with something from scratch. I also agree that POE is a better option but the ground is still frozen, I'm planning on renting a trencher for a something else so I could probably do it later. I'll try a trail cam for now unless I can find something.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

2 Caseta dimmers, 2 Picos, 2 Pico pedestals, smart hub for $96. These will be gone instantly. I snagged 2.

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/15652360

e: LOL, out of stock as I posted.

I wish I saw this sooner, it would be nice to not have to keep collecting hubs though.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Would a group buy bring down the price of the lutron switches enough to be worth it? Anyone here work at a supply house that carries them? I'm thinking about asking the rep how many I'd need to pick up for a price break next time I'm in for a big order.

I probably need a dozen more dimmers and a few switches to finish my house. I also have an extra non pro hub sitting around if anyone needs one.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Would be nice if they didn't make you buy a 3rd, 5th, 8th... bridge to get the dimmers on sale.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Fancy_Lad posted:

If anyone was tracking my smart switch question, turns out that thesmartesthouse was just doing a normal sale and their BF sale started yesterday. Since the Zooz smart dimmers are down to $22 ($20 for the on/off switches), this was enough for me to pull the trigger on the zwave solution.

Heads ups that there's some deals on other Zooz stuff there for anyone in the market. Shipping is free over $100
Best price I've seen so far, still hit that free shipping pretty quick.

Is there a significant difference between those dimmers and the Lutron other than you can buy 3 for the same price?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

TheDK posted:

Dropping in to say my first home assistant automation is working flawlessly.

Xmas lights on our charlie brown norfolk island pine turn on at sunset, turn off at midnight.

:cool:

I was surprised how easy it was, after I fixed how my devices were organized.

ToxicFrog posted:

What dongles you need, if any, depends on what devices you have. Looking up the branding in the HA integrations database will give you useful information about what you need to talk to them, if they're listed there.

In general:
- wifi devices don't need any additional hardware assuming HA is connected to the same network
- bluetooth devices need a bluetooth controller; RPi 3/4 boards have one built in
- zigbee, z-wave, and thread devices need their corresponding dongles
- no idea on other devices

Note that there may be additional hoops you need to jump through to get them working. A lot of wifi-connected devices work by getting commands through a cloud service rather than being controllable locally, and are difficult or impossible to switch to local control. Zigbee devices will likely require you physically interact with the devices to get them to pair with a new hub. Some stuff uses proprietary short-range protocols and the only way to take control of it is to hack the hub it talks to rather than the devices themselves. Etc.
Bolded an important part. Anything you automate will fail on those devices if you lost internet or if the mfg updates to a subscription model.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Honeywell has the option of local control on at least one of their models, that seems rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I didn't care for ecobee, after I started using home assistant I started to hate ecobee. At least they haven't started charging monthly yet.