Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Are there any recommendations for a not-terrible basic security cam / DVR systems? A 4 camera one would probably be plenty. My feeling from reading most of the reviews of different kinds are the software tends to be poo poo and/or people are expecting it to be end all be all absolutely perfect in every situation. My requirements are fairly basic. I don't need text/e-mail alerts or anything like that if it detects motion, I would just like to be able to access and export footage if something were to happen and I guess it would be nice if I could see live feeds if I really wanted to.

Not surprisingly, our rural neighborhood had some people going through our cars (everyone keeps them unlocked) taking change. Could have been way worse, this is the first time in 7 years something like this has happened since I've lived there. My neighbor got some footage of the perps (and they were caught later that day), and I thought "dang that's cool".

I'm not adverse to rolling my own solution, I do have a "server" but I already use it for plex and I don't want to overtax it running one or two cameras (i3 processor, 4GB ram). I'd rather shell out ~$300 for a 4 camera DVR bundle with few frills than spend $1000 on a new PC and cameras and software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

You'd need to wire the fan lights to a separate (smart) switch, and get a (smart) fan controller. Some fans allow the lights to be separately switched, some don't.

I just got a GE Zwave fan controller (~$50), and while it pairs to smartthings and shows up properly, and will turn the fan on if you press the button, I can't get smartthings to turn it on or off. :(

This is from a long time ago, but if you have a smartthings hub, you can try a Z-wave network repair. I had added a smart switch that behaved like that (right after I added an identical switch 20' away that worked fine) and the repair fixed it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I ended up ordering a Amcrest 4ch 1080p security DVR. I noticed some footprints in the snow around our house this week. I don't think it was anything sinister, the path is a wide berth away from the house, and our current theory is that it was an insurance person (we recently signed up for a new homeowner's policy). Either way the wife was moderately freaked out, so I figured that was my go ahead to buy some fun stuff.

I don't particularly care about remote access or alerts or anything, moreso just archived footage in case something has happened.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 16, 2016

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Scrapez posted:

I have the Amcrest 8ch version with 5 cams hooked up and the setup and installation are a breeze. The thing might not be the most advanced security system but it works very well. I think you'll be surprised how much you use the remote viewing. When we're away we check up on the house regularly just because we can and also use it to know if there are packages in our front entry way this time of year since theft has been a problem in some areas around here.

The only thing I do not like about the system is that you have the option of either storing files automatically via ftp to an offsite server OR recording them to the built-in hard drive. I wanted to do both simultaneously which, unfortunately, is not an option.

Thanks for the feedback, they seemed to be the best reviewed overall that I could find. I would have really liked the 8CH one, but wasn't ready to drop $800 for the 1080p version. I suppose if I really like it I could upgrade just the DVR down the road or just go for broke and roll my own solution.

Good to know about the storage location, that kind of sucks you can't do both. I do have a massive HDD in my home server, I might consider FTPing it to there, but I'm not really sure yet.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
The Amcrest system I got is analog.

My home server is primarily used for plex and a development server, it's only an i3 with 4GB RAM at the moment so that's mostly why I discarded the idea of going with Blue Iris for now.

In a year or two if I'm happy with the security camera idea I may build a beefy server and have it do it all (or VMs).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Droo posted:

I use BlueIris to record 10 hikvision 4MP cameras continuously - mostly at 8mbit/s but a couple are higher. BI continuously uses about 50% of an Intel I7-4790 processor, and storage requirements are about 800GB / day.

This is good information, I was considering making my own security DVR in a few years and had no idea what kind of hardware to expect. I don't think I'd need such hi res cameras or so many, either way good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

deong posted:

Looking for some direction in smart lighting.
Currently, I've got a google home, an alexa. Ideally I'd like something that plays nice with both, so I can have them on opposite sides of the house and have the option to ask either to turn the lights on/off. I'm in a smallish rental, so I don't need a ton of lights. I think there are ~9 lights between the living room, dining room and kitchen. I'm in a rental, so I can't go poking holes in the walls and replacing wall switches etc. With that, I wouldn't mind having something semi future proof, but I'm not sure if that exists with the current state of things? Also not sure how long in the future I might be purchasing a home.. so might not be a real concern I guess.

I was thinking the Phillips Hue bridge would be good, it can do 50 lights so that'd be more than enough. And I like the idea of changing the hue of the lights. Maybe make a party mode with different colors? I also see that wemo lights work with home now, so that would do alexa and home. I can't tell if you can only change the hue of white, or if you can go full blue/red?

I haven't used anything Hue so I can't say anything about it one way or the other, but if you're looking at "future proofing" I would consider some sort of hub that does more than just lights like SmartThings.