Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

For my wife, the biggest plus was the fact she could turn off all the lights without getting out of bed. Does she just hate talking to robots or is Siri that difficult to use completely hands-off?

Do you really want to have to take out your phone EVERY time you wanna turn some lights on and off? Or when google home/alexa invariably says "Sorry I didn't understand you!" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have problems with it not understanding light commands? I had a problem because I named two things “living room” but otherwise I can’t recall ever having to repeat myself more than once, even with my kid. My girlfriend’s kid used to have trouble, but she would shout really quickly so I’m not sure how to score that.

Are your room names really short? I don’t have any one-syllable names.

The backend services that link google home to all their API's was down for like 6 hours on Christmas day. Telling google to turn your lights on and off during that time did nothing.

So yes, things go wrong sometimes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I believe my Zigbee Conbee II stick might be dying - it's been in use since 2020 and is exhibiting some concerning signs.

Anyone have any recommendation for replacement stick? Seems like there are a lot more options available nowadays compared to a few years ago even. Preferably something that supports as many things as possible (so I guess Zigbee 3.0 & Matter?), I already have a separate ZWave stick to handle that stuff fine, although it would be cool to get a stick that does both. I don't think that exists, though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TheDK posted:

I've been using this one from Sonoff with no problems: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6P22YJC

Yeah, my research narrowed it down to basically this one, or the “official” one offered by Nabu Casa. I’ll figure it out from there - thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

adnam posted:

I've got a bunch of outdoor Google Nests (don't hate me, it was the easiest solution at the time) in rather difficult to access areas. Is there any reasonable way aside from getting up there and physically resetting the Nests in order to migrate them to a new wifi? loving google :emo:

FISHMANPET posted:

Something I've noticed in my house is that if something's going on with the wifi/internet, the Google Homes (I'm a curmudgeon I guess and still call them Homes, not Nests) will all start broadcasting a wifi network that, I assume, the Google Home app will use to connect to them for configuration. So I think an option would be to just turn off the old wifi (at least temporarily) to force them all into setup mode.

Yeah, this is the way to do it with the speakers so I would assume it's probably the same for the cams?

My parents Ring camera has a feature where you can get that "setup wifi network" to start broadcasting from the camera by waving at it whenever it's offline. Worked pretty good for getting them set back up after they had their wifi name changed.

Sioux posted:

The SkyConnect will have Matter/Thread support added in the future. Thinking of replacing my Conbee with it too someday.

Unfortunately, it looks like they may have walked that back:

https://www.home-assistant.io/skyconnect/

VelociBacon posted:

Every time I see the 30 connected wifi devices to my router I'm like ha yeah I'm never changing my SSID or pw.

This was my first thought as well when I went to my parents to set up their new router; however the router they were using was one of the ones that had separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I replaced there router with some Google pucks I had (the older AC1200 ones, totally fine for what they use wifi for) which does not do that.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 28, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

When I changed my router setup to a whole Omada thing, my plan was originally going to be to run a separate IoT wifi network to keep all my Home Automation and related poo poo on and migrate stuff over.

I have like 100+ wifi HA related devices that I needed to move over. After having to manually change about 10 devices to be on the new network, I gave up, and just made an additional wifi network that was the same SSID and password as before, and then just changed the devices that I didn't want to be on that old network (because everything used to be on it) to be on a third wifi network because there were way less of those.

So now I have two wifi networks dedicated to Home Automation stuff, with most of the old stuff being on the network with the old SSID, and anything new going on the new IoT wifi network.

Moral of the story: plan ahead before you get way too loving deep in.

Check this out:

https://www.cusna.io/post/tp-link-omada-ppsk---how-to-handle-thousands-of-personal-psjks

E: Ignore the "Cusna" stuff, stictly the PSIK I'm talking about. Basically, you can give different passwords to the same SSID, and depending on which password the device uses you can associate it to a different VLAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wow, that’s an incredible amount of progress within a short period of time.