Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have some fan controls that have both the fan speed and light dimmer in a single gang control. Are there any smart control options that are also single gang? I'm having trouble finding even non-smart controls that do both in a single gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The current control is this one: https://www.hunterfan.com/products/ceiling-fan-accessories-fan-light-dual-slide-wall-control-27182

Two hots going out, one for lights and one for the fan motor.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If we're going for absurd solutions, I suggest a matched lock and key switch. Both must be captive so the key remains in the lock when the fridge is open or the switch is engaged. Set an alarm when the switch is off for more than 5 minutes. Should be good as long as the lock picking lawyer isn't your roommate.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
TP Link recently released their single-gang smart fan/light control. If you have a combo switch in a single "space" this might be what you want. You must have one hot and one neutral coming in, and two separate wires going to the fan. One for the fan motor and one for the light. https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/smart-switches/kasa-ceiling-fan-control-and-dimmer-switch-ks240

I've had it for a couple weeks. It seems fine, I'm happy to have smart control of all the lights in this room now. I do wish I could have something that wasn't made out of cheap plastic. Some people complain about the backlight of the switch being too bright. For me it seems to turn on and off randomly. It does come on when I touch it, so I don't think it's broken, just weirdly programmed.