Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'd say I know gently caress all, but if the shoe fits...

That's great to know though, thanks.

Most reputable brands are testing their products to withstand an ocean journey in a shipping container getting blasted by the sun for 2 months straight so any fanless device is likely to be just fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
OK is anyone here particularly experienced with card-mod and applying CSS to cards? I am completely stumped why I can't left-align the text on this entity card:

My font-size style on line 17 is working just fine and I can't figure out why the text-align on line 18 isn't getting applied.

This may be more of a generic CSS question, but wasn't sure if card-mod had some limitations I wasn't aware of. It's probably something really obvious that I'm missing because I've been fiddling with this for hours now.

e: nevermind I just used a single entity card and I can work with that. I am working on my first dashboard and want to show it off when it's complete!

TheDK fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 15, 2023

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I have a ring indoor camera that I cannot figure out how to get the video feed into home assistant. Is there some limitation with ring?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Dropping in to say my first home assistant automation is working flawlessly.

Xmas lights on our charlie brown norfolk island pine turn on at sunset, turn off at midnight.

:cool:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
You could look into a bluetooth proxy. I have a few ESP32 devices scattered about the house, effectively creating a bluetooth mesh network. Any bluetooth device in my house can connect to HA.

This is what I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D5ZD528

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I installed a reolink wireless video doorbell today. Pretty simple install and setup. Home Assistant picked it up immediately as I expected.

Now I am looking for options to make this work with my existing mechanical chime. Anyone here done this before? Initial searches are giving me solutions that involve relays and transformers.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Has anyone rigged up using Google Assistant voice commands to execute HA scripts?

I have my coffee maker connected to a smart plug. I have a Google clock on my nightstand. I want to be able to say "Hey Google, initiate caffeination sequence" and have it turn on the coffee maker.

e: also for HA installation nerd talk, I am running x86 HAOS on a conference room computer designed for Teams/Zoom:

specs

TheDK fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 9, 2024

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I've added two more home automations, brining my total count of automations to a whopping THREE.

The new automations:
Turn off TV backlight when TV is turned off - pretty straightforward
Turn on backlight if TV on and dark out - a little complicated, because the "dark out" is conditional based on the Lux measurement from my Ecowitt weather station, which I recently installed over the holidays.

The TV backlight was something I didn't think I would want, but now is a must have when watching something at night. Friends/family love it as well so, if the wife is happy with it, I consider it a job well done.

I was happy that I was able to create these, albeit very basic, automations from the HA app on my phone.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Is there a go-to recommendation for a very responsive zigbee motion sensor for home assistant for doing hallway lighting and similar stuff?

What are some more specific use cases? Aqara FP2 mmwave is something I've seen for actual motion.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Bobstar posted:

Couple of Home Assistant success stories from me, that mean I'm using it more usefully as less as a curio to tinker with to see what the air pressure in my office is (991hPa right now!)

I got the Reolink PoE video doorbell integrated nicely, and used a Shelly Plus1 to ring the existing chime (8V AC) when it's pressed. I get a notification on my Apple watch with a picture of who's there, and the ability to toggle a message for delivery people when needed (and mute the chime, why not)

This, along with 2 Reolink PTZ cameras (to look at the cats being cute while we're away) live happily on my Camera VLAN with no internet connection.

A power-metering smart plug and an Aqara door sensor allow my washing machine to toggle between Idle, Running and Finished, with reminders that we haven't emptied it yet at bedtime.

This smart plug seems to have a known bug where it just randomly turns off sometimes, and the easiest fix for this seems to be having an automation to turn it back on again when it does :v:

Maybe EU or even NL specific, but the Plugwise Anna thermostat and its companion network box use the OpenTherm standard, which our air heater understands, and do in fact work when isolated from the internet (their website was unclear on exactly how much it would work). The wall-mounted thermostat is neat, and finally getting the heating integrated into HA is most excellent.

And finally, I chose our solar panels on other criteria, but was pleasantly surprised when the Enphase Envoy integration just popped up and magically worked.

/end nerdery

I have a Reolink doorbell and the chime thing is something I've been wanting to figure out! Any more details you can share on that, or send to me?

Home Assistant rules.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I believe my Zigbee Conbee II stick might be dying - it's been in use since 2020 and is exhibiting some concerning signs.

Anyone have any recommendation for replacement stick? Seems like there are a lot more options available nowadays compared to a few years ago even. Preferably something that supports as many things as possible (so I guess Zigbee 3.0 & Matter?), I already have a separate ZWave stick to handle that stuff fine, although it would be cool to get a stick that does both. I don't think that exists, though.

I've been using this one from Sonoff with no problems: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6P22YJC

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Well, would you look at that.

The stars have aligned, and our experimental drag-and-drop feature for dashboards is finally here!

I haven't tried it out yet, but i'm looking forward to it.

In other news, my ThinkSmart Views arrived, and they make great HA interfaces for places like the kitchen and my office.
For $40, they're pretty nifty. Bonus points if you actually use it for Teams/Zoom

Network chat:
I have 4, soon to be 5 VLANs
1 5/2.4 for us
1 2.4, offline for IoT only
1 2.4 with no spaces in name/password for anything that gets weird about SSID/WPA2
1 10GB network for my server/NAS back end.
TBD: Guest open SSID

I too use a ThinkSmart View for our kitchen dashboard:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
That's on my to do list to figure out. I think you should be able to but haven't dedicated time to try it.

I eventually want to use voice commands on it to play media. The speakers are better than expected, since it was designed for video calls.

I also want to figure out 2-way video with other devices in the house (another TSV and PCs). I also want to figure out how to get Google to play stuff on it, instead of only on the Google Assistants. Not sure if that is feasible though.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Anyone know of a good guide to RTSP, webrtc and the like? I am apparently a complete moron and can't figure out how to set my Google Nest, TP-Link and reolink cameras up through RTSP in HASS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

I've got an older Ring video doorbell 2nd gen which is battery powered and I don't have a good way to wire it up. It looks like the official little solar charger that sits around the doorbell might still be available, but I'm not sure it'll work great since it's on a covered porch. I see a few generic micro USB solar panels available that might work, like this one. (I would definitely need a right-angle adapter also, but that should be easy enough.) Anyone have any recommendations/experiences with these?

Fortunately the thing does hold a charge pretty well, so I guess the panel doesn't need to perform that well. But this is at an in-laws' rental property so I'm not around to recharge it every few months.

I have a couple of similar panels that I use to charge cameras and they've been great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L6D6MFM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CYWCCCY