Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

I've been waiting until there was some kind of open source solution for all of this stuff before committing to integrating anything into my house. Home Assistant is the closest I've seen that covers most of what I want. Has anyone had any experience with using it? I caught onto it after seeing a news article on Almond, an open Google Assistant-like that can integrate with it and is pretty interesting in of itself.

I've been using it for a year, mostly with zwave devices. I have Amazon Kindles as control pads where I'm displaying HADashboard. I use Node Red for automations. It all works just fine.

You probably want to start out with the hass.io distribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Red Warrior posted:

If you already have doorbell wires, the Eufy.
https://www.amazon.com/Security-Doorbell-Resolution-Real-Time-Response/dp/B07R3WY95C/ (note if you do get one, click that Apply Coupon box if it is there for $40 off)
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smart-doorbell-camera/

That's still IOT cloud poo poo.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/eufy/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

More dumb questions that should be easy to find answers for but somehow isn't:

Is there such a thing as a decent quality RGB LED "smart" bulb that doesn't rely on connecting to some server over the internet in order to function? There's people hacking remote controlled RGB bulbs with wifi-enabled ESP dev boards but I'd prefer something that's an actual product. Note I live in a 240v/50hz region.

I want an electric lock on my front door in addition to the traditional lock. The old lock would only be used when the house is empty for a period of time, the electric lock being there to stop the door from opening from the wind or whatever with it unlocking using some kind of proximity sensor on the inside and maybe, I dunno, RFID on the outside? I have no idea where to start with this, but it would be really convenient if I could get something like that working.

How do people deal with powering all this stuff? Do you run low voltage DC cabling through the walls to some internally installed AC/DC wall warts or is there something less dodgy than that?

I don't know about your smart bulb question, because I use switches for light control. All of my switches are zwave. No internet needed. In fact, my home automation system is in it's own "jail" VLAN with only a couple pinholes to the internet so it can pull things like weather updates.

You can get zwave deadbolts as well. They run on batteries and are also available in zwave. Nothing more complicated is required for power. They have keys for backup in case the batteries are dead. In fact, most types of sensors are available in battery op now, and they work well and the batteries last a long time. Nobody is installing alarm systems with wires all over the house anymore.

Your proximity thing sounds like a bad idea from a security standpoint, but most home automation systems can be configured with a concept of "presence" and I suppose you could use that to lock/unlock the doors.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

ZWave seems to mostly cater to the US, so 120v. No dice unfortunately, voltage differences have been a recurring problem when searching for and getting recs for this stuff.

No it doesn't? I mean, every area has a difference zwave frequency, so of course the smaller the market you are in you're likely to have fewer choices, but zwave most definitely is a global thing. A couple of my friends in Singapore have their apartments all automated with zwave devices. SG is 230/50Hz and they choose between the zwave frequencies used in China (because of all of the imports) or Malaysia. I believe they have multi-frequency gateways and just need to be concerned about powered devices being compatible in terms of them acting as repeaters.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

What's the current state of using a wyze cam without using any of their cloud stuff? I'd like to just use them as cheap IP cams.

https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks

I haven't updated mine in a while so maybe it's fixed, but with this firmware mine won't go in to night mode. I'm fine with that - it's just sitting in my garage.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I have a Nest thermostat but its in kind of a weird spot so it doesn't detect occupancy well. I've tried googling some sort of 3rd party motion sensor integration but it doesn't seem like anything can really tie into it. Anyone done something similar?

As I recall, the Nest smokes are used as occupancy sensors for the thermostat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Laranzu posted:

Is there any Linux IP camera solution on par with the Windows options? I've got Shinobi up and running but it's settings are essentially an undocumented mess with crazy names that don't mean anything. It's performance is wonderful compared to some other software I've tried.

Trying to get sane motion detection has been a 100% crap shoot.

As far as I know: nope. But if you find it let me know. Blue Iris works great, but it's the only windows VM I'm maintaining and would rather not.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Do you have the HW decode working in a VM? I'd love to hear how if you do.

I didn't even know that was a thing. I know plenty of people have gotten plex hardware acceleration working on an ESX VM using GPU passthrough, so it's probably possible.

I don't have a graphic card worth a poo poo in the ESX server though, so it's pointless unless I do that - and with a couple of Xeons in the thing I don't really have any need.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Or the relay contacts are cooked and stick occasionally.

Yeah, I'm coming up with nothing for "installation problem" and everything that points to "poo poo is broken".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

You want it to be 100% ethical? Source your own components, manufacture it however you see fit, and write your own code.

I'm happily using my Reolinks that I've previously mentioned. Yep, they sure do call home to China, but they can't get there when you put them on their own little jail vlan that contains nothing other than cameras and one interface from your DVR, has no default gateway and no way to get to any other VLAN/anything else on the network.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone here ever tried scripting some logic around motion and a CO2 sensor for presence detection?

CO2 sensors? Do you have any idea how much something with meaningful sensitivity for an application like that would cost? I'm not even sure it's feasible at any budget.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have recently gotten one of those Netatmo ones. It picks up an increase of CO2 when I enter and do things in the room, and it drops slowly, when I'm gone and it has some time to dissipate again.

Huh, look at that. I suppose that's feasible for a room of whatever size you're in. I was thinking more along the lines of "home presence", but perhaps with enough of those even that would be possible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Yeah, mostly I just wanted a prepackaged product but searching around you either have expensive IR blasters or DIY kits like these.

I might order the parts at some point and give it a shot.

Thanks!

There's potentially a third option. Some mini splits have provisions for being controlled by standard thermostat control. If yours does and/or there is an add on box to make that work you can then choose your "smart" or connected thermostat to hook up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hm, interesting. My thermostat is in the living room, so maybe it'll work better. My reasons for getting it definitely fall more into the fun conveniences rather than saving money.

Then go for it, and check if your power company or whoever has discounts for buying one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If you're a sovereign nation who is NOT doing this kind of research you are probably doing it wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Separate topic, anyone have any opinions on Abode? That's what I'm leaning towards for a security system, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Seems to tick all the boxes.

I've had it for a year and a half. It's got its quirks, but it works fine.

If you want keypads they used to be hot garbage. The new versions are much better - I'd even say they're good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

We'll probably get 1 keypad, but most of the operation would likely be by phone app. I dunno, I can't imagine NOT having a keypad just in case.

Yeah, exactly. Nothing like having your phone die/get broken/not have an internet connection and not being able to get in without setting off the alarm. The new keypads also include a motion sensor (so they light up when you walk up to them and you can use it to trigger the alarm).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

Does anyone have any experience with these Honeywell Z-wave dimmer switches?

There's one bullet that says "a blue LED indicator light to locate the switch in a dark room" which sounds like it could be very annoying.

Also if I get the right kind of Z-wave hub can I also control lights using Siri or HomeKit controls?

Happy to hear recommendations of substitutes like the Leviton or other... these just were on sale at Costco.

I can't speak to the indicator because I use the toggle style of these, but I can tell you that they are solid devices that just work. Even the "remote" switches for 3 way installs work well, you just need to know how to wire them (the traveler is never hot on these - it's used as a signaling wire only).

And yes, a z-wave hub is what you need. You should get one that supports the things that you want to control it with i.e. Siri or HomeKit. I don't have any suggestions on the because I don't use that stuff, just a bunch of scheduling and triggering in Home Assistant.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

Also Motronic that sounds awesome... your system was the one whose screenshots made me think I was back in a PLC lab right? That interface looked baller. If I can have Siri kickoff functions for that, I'm set. Clearly some more research to do in that department.

lol, probably. Was it my panel setup?

That's being displayed around various rooms in the house on whatever cheap refurb Kindle Fires I was able to pick up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

It's the name of his robot vacuum. Probably a roborock of some sort.

Yep. Neato botvac. My kids decided to name him that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Is “remove icon from control surface in April” the new “take down Christmas lights in February”?

lol

w00tmonger posted:

what is this interface? Can I plug this into my smartthings hub?

This is the AppDaemon panel on Home Assistant. https://github.com/home-assistant/appdaemon

It's really designed for HA, but it's open enough that it might be possible to use for other things as well.

HycoCam posted:

My biggest question--Motronic how long have you had this setup? Have you had this running for several years and just in last months been boasting to family and friends, "I told you the Pandemic mode would come in handy!" :)

It's been up for over a year. And yeah, "pandemic mode" does nothing. I just couldn't help myself. (added it last month)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cornjob posted:

Im pretty smart, and the last time I looked at home assistant, I went crosseyed.

I *just* wanted to put a tablet in the kitchen that would act as controller to run a few switches, wyze cams, and some alexa routines.

Has it changed much in 6 months? I need a stwp by step.

It has absolutely changed a ton. Meaningful auto discovery of a lot of things, no more editing YAML files needed if you stick to the common stuff that's been put in the GUI (a LOT of it including zwave) and a meaningful GUI that is customizable enough to use on tablets.

When I started it was editing YAML files and using a 3rd party dashboard system.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

i am completely new to home automation so forgive me if this is facile, but i am looking for a way to have my lights turn on when i'm like 50' away from my apartment. just a simple thing that would be based on the location of my phone, which is pretty much always on me. any recommended devices? any considerations i need to keep in mind? it's really only just for two different lamps so it doesn't seem complicated--maybe it is, i don't know.

Do you care about a 3rd party service knowing where you are all the time based on your phone location and then selling that data on (and likely paying a monthly fee for the privilege)? If not, there are several easy solutions.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You're gonna probably want this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X0AWA6E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's what most people seem to use. Works fine for me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hubis posted:

That's what I have and it works great but fair warning that there are apparently issues using it with a Pi4! You mentioned a 3B+ so you should be fine, but I figured I would throw it out there so you aren't surprised down the road.

Oh sorry, I had no idea. I have one in an OG pi (in the barn) and the one for the house is in a VMWare server using USB passthrough.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hubis posted:

No worries -- I would have recommended it myself, I just wanted to make sure I threw in that caveat as I ran into it myself trying to set up a Pi4.

Here, I found the details:

Wow....that's not encouraging as far as the quality of the hardware goes.

(but you could throw it into a powered USB hub to make it go)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

street doc posted:

Does anybody ever bother with remote wireless monitoring, I.e. security alarms that don’t require internet or landline?

What are you asking here? About mobile network based connectivity for alarms? Basically every one of the "internet" ones (Abode, etc) have cell backup and will work fine without an internet connection at all because of that. I've installed several like that for friends with cabins, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

street doc posted:

Do any of the services with cell backup integrate well with a wired security system? House has cameras and sensors throughout.

No - at least not the fancy new wireless systems you see advertised for DIY install. But all of the traditional wired systems made in the last 15-20 years that I've seen have a GSM/CDMA module available. If this is in the US there's like an 85% chance it's a bog standard DSC system and they absolutely have a cell module.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

The new Ring Wired Retrofit is pretty decent, especially if you're already on the Ring system. It'll connect to 8 existing contact sensors/zones.

Oh interesting. I hadn't seen that one. Smart - plenty of people would be happy to get rid of their legacy interface/systems add a few sensors and keep the old ones.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Better idea: don't buy Ring cameras. They're overpriced and not very good. BlueIris and Dahua cams on an isolated VLAN will give far better image quality and much better motion detection.

I mean.....that's my recommendation (but I use Reolink) but it's often an unreasonable recommendation for the audience. Not everybody is gonna go do network engineering and self hosting poo poo like we do. And that's fine, it's certainly it's own thing and shouldn't be a barrier to entry for security cameras.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

That brand looks pretty good, and I don't mind janitoring my network at all... do all the cameras work fine with BlueIris? They sure claim all over their web site that only their Reolink software or NVR works but the Internet looks like they've got it working.

I've got a bunch of RLC-420 fixed dome cameras and an RLC-423 PTZ piped into blueiris and they work great. The software look the same between both types so I wouldn't be surprised to find it's basically the same on all of them, so they should all work on bi.

Even the PTZ controls work.

But JFC do they call home to China. So yeah, they absolutely went on their own VLAN by themselves. The only other thing on that vlan is a second virtual nic to the BI server.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

What’s the general opinion of Alfred or another ‘turn your phone into a security cam’ app? Understand it’s not going to be as good as dedicated cams but are they horribly insecure, etc.?

Not sure why anyone would want to do that when you have a least common denominator of a $20 Wyze cam.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Anyone ever setup a joint email/Gmail account for both husband/wife, and then have it forward to both people's personal accounts

We watch enough YouTube stuff on the smart TV (no cable/antenna tv for us) that the ads are getting annoying, wanted to get YouTube premium to get rid of the ads, joint account for the tv seems like a good idea? Bad idea?

Expanding on this, we have a bunch of other stuff like deliveries, HOA payment portal, etc that it would be nice to send those notifications to a single address and then have that account multiplex the messages to both of us

Is this a thing? How well does it work out

Depending on how you check your mail, adding a "shared" account that's like n accounts payable thing that you both ALSO check might be a good idea.

That way if one of you takes care of something it can be marked as read/archived rather than having to coordinate "oh. I thought you did the thing."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baconroll posted:

Any thoughts on the Abode smart alarm compared to Simplisafe ? I'm thinking about moving away from the Ring alarm due to the continued lack of additional sensors/sirens, Alexa Guard or even real monitoring in the UK. In the UK with Ring you just get the motion and contact sensors and thats it. The 'monitoring' is just a round-robin automated call to your number list with no human operator and no police called ever.

Both Abode and Simplisafe would allow me to have additional external and internal sirens, real monitoring with a human in the loop, lots more options for sensors etc

My initial feeling is Abode seems to be a better platform but I'm a little concerned as to whether they'll still exist in a couple of years. Simplisafe appears to be quite substantial in the market so I'd have more confidence of their continued existance.

I've had Abode for two years now. They've recently released new product, etc so I'm not sure what the concern is of their longevity.

In any case, they've been great to work with. I had a problem with a third party connected smoke false alerting and they couldn't be sure if it was the smoke or their gateway and just shipped another one out right away. You can also get a fire protection cert from them if you have the connected smokes.

Don't know anything in particular about simplisafe other than 2 year ago when I was making this decision Abode seemed to be the better choice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

azurite posted:

Is there a thread for horse farm talk? I'm probably going to have one in the near future, myself.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878671

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Thought this was going to be a link to the bad with money thread because horses.

It is, the thread title just keeps on changing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

BlueIris is great, but there's no app.

There is (at least for Android). It's kinda janky, but it works.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Celexi posted:

I hate ceiling fans .............I refuse to use them and get blasted with dust

You're not going to be comfortable about what I have to say about you standard of cleanliness.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I was talking with a friend who joined the Nest team as a PM in the last year, and they said that there's a proper API coming "soon". I asked in the context of connecting it to open source HA stacks, and they know their way around API, so I'm hopeful that it'll be decent when it rolls out.

Certainly the API endpoint will be their cloud service rather than where it's actually wanted: on the device itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cr0y posted:

This has probably been covered but coming in green I don't even know what to search for. What are some self hosted solutions in terms of IP cameras that don't need cloud access? I have a pretty robust home network with virtualization and VPN connectivity but never messed around with cameras and don't even know what to start googling to find a dumb device that speaks some sort of standard open protocol. If someone could just blindly shout some solutions I can go from there.

Reolink, on their own internet jail VLAN, dual NIC'd Blue Iris VM to do all the DVR stuff. One NIC in your chinese camera vlan jail, the other one somewhere useful so you can configure remote access if that's what you want.