Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm moving into my first owned condo in about a month. I've never really paid a lot of attention to smart home stuff because I was living in a 1960s built rented apartment and I didn't even have thermostat control in my own unit. I do heavily use 6-8 smart plugs (like the ones that sit between the device's power cord and the wall outlet) but that's about it.

Are smart home things worthwhile? My place was renovated in 2015 and is pretty modern as far as condos go in my area but nothing 'smart' was built in. I wouldn't need any security stuff or automation really but this is as far as I can tell also the smart home thread. I've heard of nest thermostats which I think aren't even around anymore, not sure if that world is worth hopping into.

I guess I'm not really sure what I'm asking besides to try to figure out if there are certain ecosystems of products in this space that are huge goon favorites that I would benefit by installing and getting used to from the beginning and not trying to shoehorn into my daily life in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there any benefit to the Nest thermostats if you live with other people? 3 of us (2 adults) in an apartment, we work from home so there won't be any "turn my heat on when I come home" stuff.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Three Olives posted:

It's pretty and I love that it can be set to both heat and cool automatically. We live in north Texas so it is not uncommon that we will have to heat the house at night and cool it during the day.

Honestly, it just looks really nice in the hallway, oh, and basically everything of any significance, down to the water fountains, are integrated into Google Home and our 8 Google touch screen displays, so it's nice that it is natively integrated into that.

Cornjob posted:

In my case i have a 44 year old house that needed new switches and outlets, as many of the existing ones were original and very worn. The cost to put in smart switches was about $10-12 per switch, as opposed to about $5-7 for regular decora. Switches in my house was very wierd, due to a 20 year old remodel, and i had multiple switch locations for multiple rooms. I tried a few different brands and found that Kasa gave me what i wanted, for the most reasonable price. Can now turn on all the kitchen lights with one switch if needed.

Programming one switch to group multiple switches together, multiple presets, homekit and alexa integration, and a nice tactile feel.

It also has the ability to control the fade/on off times, which is seems like a silly feature to care about, but its really nice.

Thanks to both of you. I'll probably get the Nest thermostats but there are like 3 thermostats (for electric baseboard heaters) plus a switch for a fireplace, plus also one or two of those humidity-controlled switches for bathroom fans (you set a relative humidity you want and it runs the fan until the humidity drops to that level).

Any cool smart home stuff for those humidity ...switches? Or the fireplace (just a normal switch I guess)?

Does phillips hue stuff talk to Google Home?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

Electric baseboard is gonna be a whole other thing, and nest isn't gonna do it, at least not on its own.

Fireplace should be a standard 120v light switch, that's easy enough.

And really really think about why you want to do something with a perfect standalone already-automated thing like a humidity controlled bathroom fan. Ask yourself how you will make this better. And if you come up with some way to do that ask if you can make it nearly as trouble free and reliable as that simple thing that is already there.

Why can't a Nest do an electric baseboard? It's just "if the temp at this device gets below [x] turn the heat on"?

And yeah fair enough about the humidity thing. I haven't moved in yet so I dunno how well it works but I just figured if I'm stepping slightly into this it makes sense to have everything/as much as possible on it.

e: Forgot to mention the humidity switching thing is a really ugly original to 1999 yellowed plastic thing on the wall so I'd like to replace it if only for that reason. This is going to be a place I live for probably the rest of my life.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 28, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hed posted:

I really like this for electric baseboard heat.

https://shop-us.getmysa.com/products/mysa-baseboard

Thanks, what do you like about it compared to the Nest?

e: or is it just the fact that it's like 1/2 the price and electric baseboards have multiple thermostats per home?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 28, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

This. A electric baseboard thermostat is just a light switch with a thermometer attached. The full current that heats the baseboard up has to travel through the thermostat, and thats just now how nest, ecobee, and similar models work.

Pretty cool to see there even is a smart device for this application at all. I had no idea they even existed.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Nest (and most other thermostats) can’t control line-level voltages that baseboard heater thermostats control. Regular thermostats use low-amp low-voltage signals to control relays and poo poo that your HVAC unit contains.

Thank you both. That makes sense and it's absolutely wild to me that they don't have it behind a relay still. I guess there's a relay in the switch itself that's controlled by the movement of mercury or something in the original thermostats.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

It's more/worse than that. Baseboard electric heat is usually 240v so it's not a "regular" light switch that could handle it. You need a 2 pole switch. With a thermostat.

You can absolutely make a nest do this (and I have) with a 24VAC transformer and a contactor. It's not something I'm going to suggest here. In my case I was controlling a circulator pump for radiant heat but it's exactly the same concept.

Replace it with something modern and self contained. I simply can't think of any reason your fan switch needs to be smarter than "humidity good enough to not rot our my drywall? I'll turn off now."

I don't even have that in my bathrooms. I have these: https://store.leviton.com/collectio...ant=18215996547

Thanks, and thanks re: the plumbing in the other thread.

The things aren't even IN the bathrooms, they're like in the hallway outside the bathroom so I don't know for sure but I assume it's sensing the humidity in the hallway right outside the bathroom and not the bathroom itself. As you mentioned it's just to protect the structure.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CancerCakes posted:

I am literally looking at this at the moment, and blue iris seems like a good option. However, electricity costs are so high now that cannibalising an old pc and running it 24/7 will cost quite a lot.

Frigate seems good, but is meant to work with a coral which are currently impossible to get due to chip shortages.

So my plan is get a cheap NUC and a Poe switch and try BI. if I don't like it i might switch to frigate once the usb coral is more available. If anyone has a nuc recommendation that can deal with 4 HD cams that would be great!

Power costs should be pretty low, I use a cheap 4 core AMD APU in a server and it's like 25w. I don't think you need a very powerful chip for this.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there a goon favorite smart switch/dimmer? Has to work with Govee. Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have one with a magnifying glass and it's even better for really small stuff.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

blastron posted:

I don't know how Govee works, but if it's capable of being operated with a normal, not-smart dimmer switch, then I recommend the Lutron Caseta series, which replace hardwired switches. I have them controlling basically every important light in my apartment and am very happy with how reliable they are.

Cornjob posted:

Govee is homekit compatible. Do you use homekit?

I use a homebridge and kasa switches. Works like a champ

Thanks, I'll look into these. Govee does work with a normal switch. I haven't set up any homekit thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rakeris posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on a smart thermostat or at least one that can be used remotely? So many seem to be hit or miss garbage.

For baseboard heaters, the Mysa stuff was recommended in here and I picked them up, very happy with them. They make non-baseboard thermostats also and I'd probably go that direction if I need that one day because I've been happy with them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gerdalti posted:

Anyone know of a Zigbee tilt sensor (garage door)? There seems to be one that's out of stock for god knows how long.

I could go ZWavePlus, but I don't really have anything in that area of the house with zwave, and I fear I'd have to get other things in the mesh for it to reach.

I don't know how much you enjoy tinkering but I can imagine using a normal door or window open/close sensor and attaching it to the frame of the garage door rails, with the other side of that piece mounted near the bottom of the garage door such that they meet when it is fully closed.

If you're more technical I can imagine a very simple arduino solution with a position sensor but you'd have to run power to it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm looking to make the change to smart bulbs for most of my ceiling lights. I'm going to use Govee bulbs because I already have them and I like them. I'm here to ask about my options for a smart bulb switch.

I know the Lutrons are really nice, I guess I'm curious if there is something that is maybe less feature rich that comes in much cheaper but does a great job still. I don't for example need to be able to take the switch off and carry it to the couch or something. Thanks in advance.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 9, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OP said it's in his garage where he wouldn't hear it IIRC.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BigFactory posted:

The alarm can be on a phone

Ah sorry.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I reset my Google Nest Hub because it stopped appearing as a castable device. After setting it up again, it still isn't a casting destination and when I say "hey Google open YouTube" I get "sorry, I don't know where to play the video. Please tell me the exact name of the screen". But I want to see YouTube on the display, not cast to a TV or something. Any ideas?

Is it maybe part of a different "home"? Do you use google home? Do you see it there?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yes, it's visible in my Google Home, as the only device in there. When I go into the device settings I can set the default display, with itself selected, but this doesn't fix it. I can pull up YouTube using the touchscreen interface, but ideally I'd like to be able to cast to this thing again.

e: ok, whatever the gently caress i just did fixed casting. i'll take it

Awesome, I hope to one day also have more than one display in my kitchen!

I asked awhile ago for recommendations for smart light switches and didn't really get any replies. Is the Lutron stuff really so much better that it's the only game in town? I have 4-5 switches I want to replace and I don't really want to pay $4-500!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

McPhearson posted:

I have a bunch of the Jasco/GE z-wave switches around my place, which I guess are sold as Embrighten now. Although if you have smart bulbs you probably want a scene controller instead so you don't cut the power to them when you hit the switch.

Thanks, yeah is that the term? I do want my bulbs to have power always so I can use Google home to turn them on or off etc. Appreciate the reply regardless.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

As few as possible pls. My budget for smart lights in the place is currently zero but I'll find a few quid if it means I don't have to go around retrofitting stuff in the future.

Govee bulbs may be your answer here. I've slowly been picking them up and replacing the lights in my place. Works well with google home and all that. It's been good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

My solution to that was replace the switch with a Leviton multi-button scene controller and map one of the buttons to off/zero brightness. Then you just have to remind people not to hit the one button that actually cuts power. But yes, it is also the expensive option

Yeah I'd love to find a more economical solution - I have like 6 switches I'd like to replace.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

toplitzin posted:

The Kasa switches are only ~$11/ea for singles, ~$15 for 3 ways or dimmers, and $20 for the motion ones.

I'm slowly transitioning to them as I smarten the house.

Hm but those seem like they're not for smart *bulbs*. From reading their site it seems like you use an app to control the switches, which presumably alter the voltage they're providing to the standard bulbs in order to turn them on/off or dim them. The lutron stuff as I understand it allows for a smart *bulb* to receive constant voltage and the switch is tied in somehow to signal the dimming/colour/etc changes via google home or apple whatever.

Am I misunderstanding this? I wish Govee would just make a light switch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wanderless posted:

The Zooz 72 dimmer switches I have give you the option to use them either as scene controllers or physical switches, which is a nice option.

Hmm cool. So do scene controllers talk to google home etc or how do you pair them to 3rd party bulbs? Asking anyone, thanks. I have govee bulbs and I use google home.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

smoobles posted:

Dumb Google Home question:

I've got a speaker group set up in my living room for 2 Homes that works great for music, EXCEPT when I say "hey Google lower the volume", at which point it lowers the volume of the speaker that picked up my voice and leaves the other one at full blast.

Any ideas?

"Hey google lower the volume of the living room speakers"

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

biznatchio posted:

If it's a night vision camera, get used to it. Spiders are attracted to the infrared light and will constantly be building webs there.

Does this also mean if I direct an infrared emitter towards someone I don't like they will experience what I'm imagining?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tamba posted:

Yeah, for temperature and humidity, you probably can't beat the Aquara sensors in price, especially if you order a stack of them from Aliexpress.

For CO2 sensors there are two ways to measure it. First you have the sensors that use NDIR (non-dispersive infrared sensor). Those are very accurate, but very expensive (>$100). If you want a really good one, the Aranet4 is on sale right now and works nicely with Homeassistant over Bluetooth.
The other way is sensors that measure VOCs or something else in the air that's easier to measure and then estimate CO2 from that. They are cheaper and put out a value that might be good enough for some kind of traffic light indicator (good/okay/bad), but are not very accurate.

I always feel this compulsion and I guess tonight I'm turning into Mr. Hyde about this poo poo. I work as a respiratory therapist, obviously in the hospital and not like doing home IT installations but I really think that people monitoring the CO2 in their own homes is some crazy poo poo. If you can detect that it's stuffy in your home yourself, that's the only indicator of low ventilation that you really need. If you crack a few windows in your house, or a window in your condo, that's gotta be pretty much good enough right? I feel like this feeds into people's anxieties and makes them obsess over numbers floating in their air instead of just being reasonable. I spend hours and hours every week worrying about the CO2 in people and it kills me to see people decide to start worrying about it at home for what I perceive to be no good reason. Why???

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the yeti posted:

Couple questions:

1) i was considering building out a do-all server to run home assistant, frigate, and probably plex on, but that’s a lot of different data going in and out so I’m not sure if it’s possible to avoid bottlenecking on either the cpu or disk. Would prefer to buy nothing new except a coral device for Frigate

if I need a brand new system to achieve this then two physical systems it is.

The bottleneck for data is extremely far from any use case like this. I built a second windows PC as a permanently-VPN'd server/torrent/plex/jellyfin/syncthing machine. It's really nice being able to leave something on VPN and to not have your main system being used for this stuff when you're also trying to play games or even turn it off at night and that kind of thing.

There's a NAS thread that is very good for figuring out your hardware requirements and just reading about these solutions.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

Hi thread

Is there a go-to cheapo, basic wifi thermostat that I can control from an app or website?

I want something for the garage and I'd rather not buy another nest, which I have for the main house. I mean, the nest is ok but I just want something super basic ambient temp reading and control abilities.

The garage can get cold, potentially 0C on a very cold winter day.

I'm extremely happy with my Mysa products (4 or 5 baseboard heater smart thermostats). What kind of heating do you have there? Looks like they can cover a variety of applications. I have it tied into google home but the default app is more than fine.

https://getmysa.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The best part of like every IoT device is the setup button on it you have to physically push on every single one of them if you change WiFi networks or WiFi passwords. Seems pretty counter-intuitive to security never being able to change your password.

Every time I see the 30 connected wifi devices to my router I'm like ha yeah I'm never changing my SSID or pw.