Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Klyith posted:

has to be a bulb in this case because it's going into a fixture.

TP-link does make a standalone bulb though. that's just what I'm looking for -- I don't care about RGB but color temperature would be nice. are they your recommendation because their app / software is good?

I've been using the tp link bulbs, outlets, and switches for a while now. They work rather well, software seems pretty okay, and it connects in to Google home or Amazon Alexa easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
If you have a hardwired Ring, the fix to dropped frames or signal is to upgrade the doorbell transformer. Ring sells one for $30, or you can get one on Amazon for $20. I did the swap last week, fixed all my connection issues. A friend did the same thing, fixed his issues. Builder grade transformers are like 12v at 10amp, the replacement is 16v at 30amp.

It took about 20 minutes to change, mostly because someone hamfisted the anchor screw and hosed it up. If I have to use pliers to turn a screw, someone was a dumbass.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Keystoned posted:

Interesting, i have a similar problem but assumed it was wifi. Which one did you get off amazon and how is the installation? Is the transformer typically inside the chime box or somewhere else?

A friend and I each bought https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001POBN92?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title Our houses are around the corner from each other, and were built at the same time. In both of ours, the transformer was above the basement smoke alarm, and was powered off of that circuit.

It's easy to install - (locate transformer), shut off circuit breaker and verify, undo wiring, wire in new one, turn on power. The line out wasn't polarized, it just competes the circuit. Mine was annoyingly close to the ceiling, but still a quick job.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I do know some people do report having those delays, I just don't know why some people get them and I don't.

I think the first factor is the transformer powering the doorbell. Replacing the one that was installed in 1998 helped quite a bit.

Also, it seems picky about the bandwidth on the phone, at least in regards to playing the video.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My neighbor's was above the hardwired basement smoke alarm, mine was above the outlet for the water heater. Key difference is that half of my basement is finished.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The Kasa (TP Link) ones have a button on them. They're wifi though, not zwave/zigbee.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Honeywell has a few Wifi options that use their own app/portal, and for the most part work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Why is TP Link forking the Kasa home automation into another brand? Does it need a separate app on it's own?