Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross posting from the Security thread:

I’m keen to purchase some sort of internal security camera for my apartment. My thoughts were that it doesn’t need to be internet enabled (I would actually prefer it isn’t for security reasons). I was thinking some kind of cheap IP camera and cheap NAS that saves like a week’s footage. Low FPS is fine. Can anyone recommend something?

I’m renting at the moment so it’s really just to keep an eye on unsupervised people in my apartment. I try to be there generally but can’t always.

The security thread pointed out that there is the chance of a thief stealing the camera/NAS which is a good point. Keen to hear any idea around that too I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So is there a basic POE powered IP camera the thread can recommend? Ubiquiti?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rexxed posted:

Hikvision seems to be the most recommended as a chinese camera that will just work. I've mostly heard bad things about Ubiquiti cameras although I haven't used them myself. The hikvision stuff I've used seems to hold up well and has decent picture quality. Of 40 or so cameras at three sites there have been issues with two or three of them that were often just an issue with the cabling (security vendor did a really long run with no repeaters or whatever).

Is there anything cheaper? My apartment is tiny and the cheapest one of these is still pretty expensive.

I really thought this setup would be cheaper/easier, silly me.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rexxed posted:

What kind of camera are you looking for? One to sit on a table with pan/tilt/zoom? A bullet cam for wall mounting to look at the door? Amcrest is the US division that sells foscam stuff now and they're alright for cheap stuff. I own a couple of foscam units for basic home ip cam stuff. The main thing is to block the camera from getting on the internet at your router because some of them phone home to provide a hosted always online streaming service, which while convenient for people who don't know better is also super insecure.

Yeah something super basic (even low FPS is fine) just to work as a monitor/security camera inside my apartment. Obviously IP connected and POE powered.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rexxed posted:

The reason I was asking is because they have different form factors and if you need a suggestion you'll need to pick one. Also, if you have a price range in mind that's helpful, too.
tabletop ptz:
https://smile.amazon.com/Amcrest-Ethernet-Optional-Recording-IP2M-841E/dp/B01H2JSC6U/
ceiling style fixed:
https://smile.amazon.com/Foscam-FI9853EP-Weatherproof-Security-Detection/dp/B00NCR4DQA/
bullet cam:
https://smile.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2042WD-I-Network-Security-Bullet/dp/B01M1EMS52/

Thank you for all your help. One final question: do I need to get seperate software to dump from the camera to a nas? Or does that come with the camera?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does any recommend the TP link NC450 camera? Seems to be exactly what I’m after.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thomamelas posted:

When recording with an SD card, keep in mind that they aren't designed with continuous writes in mind. The lift span of an SD card in cameras can vary but most of the time you get three to six months of life before the card is dead. I wouldn't expect the camera to tell me it's dead and I would expect to have be swapping out cards every three months. Generally better cameras will get longer life but even then I would have a six month maintenance routine.

I think long term I would get it to backup to a NAS so that shouldn’t be an issue. I assume I can easily block the camera from getting to the Internet via my router as well right?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend an indoor security camera? Ideally it would be able to save to SD card and also a NAS. POE powered would be ideal.

Low FPS or whatever is fine, it’s just to monitor workmen in my apartment when I’m out.

I was looking at the TP link NC450 but I can’t confirm it would easily stream to a NAS.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a recommended Wi-Fi smart plug that I can use my iPhone as a proximity sensor with? I just got a TP-Link NC450 camera but the software is not sophisticated enough except for a basic schedule.

The use case would be to power off the plug (and thus POE injector and camera) when my iPhone connects to my Wi-Fi network and then power it back on when it disconnects.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kalman posted:

Even if you found one that worked that way, which I somewhat doubt, you might run into some pretty annoying behavior with this because iPhones pretty aggressively idle off WiFi to conserve power.

I’d probably do it using Home Assistant and the iOS app for it to do actual location tracking, and then setup automation to turn the camera (or the WiFi switch) on/off based on your presence within your home zone.

Oh OK. Are there any guides on how to set that up anywhere? That does sound like a better solution.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any good guides or YouTube accounts for first time Home Assistant users? I’ve installed it via docker on my Synology but don’t really know here/how to start.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've got a script setup with IFTTT on my phone to enable a Kasa plug based on location. I looked into changing to do this with HA on docker on my Synology NAS but it's honestly well beyond me at the moment. Is there something else that's easier to setup that I could run on my Synology to do this so my phone doesn't have to be running IFTTT constantly? To be honest I haven't noticed much battery drain having had this running for a few months but it is not the most elegant solution.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I was posting in the NAS thread about Synology Surveillance Station but maybe that’s actually better here.

Does anyone use the geofences with DS Cam? When it works it’s great but it often fails to trigger and you seem to have to log into the app for it work which defeats the point. The app doesn’t stay logged in when you change from Wifi to cellular on IOS for me, is there a setting I’m missing?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

I was posting in the NAS thread about Synology Surveillance Station but maybe that’s actually better here.

Does anyone use the geofences with DS Cam? When it works it’s great but it often fails to trigger and you seem to have to log into the app for it work which defeats the point. The app doesn’t stay logged in when you change from Wifi to cellular on IOS for me, is there a setting I’m missing?

Does anyone successfully use Home Assistant from a Synology NAS? After about 3 hours of messing around today to get around these DS Cam issues I think I'm done with HA on a Synology NAS, it's just too complicated for what is already a complicated thing (HA). It also seems like you can't really run Hass.io on a Synology NAS either.

Would I be better placed just to get a Pi and run Hass.io on that?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PBS posted:

I've been running it in a docker container on my Synology for nearly four years now with little issue. What problem are you having?

Getting it up and running on my NAS was easy enough but then when I went to do anything I needed hass.io for the plugins. Then all the paths were screwed up when following guides as they didn’t expect it to be in a Docker container.

The final straw for me was trying and failing to get it setup to be accessed externally using DuckDNS.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

WhiteHowler posted:

There are more/better devices available since last time you looked at it, but overall it's still a Zigbee/Zwave world for most people. "Properly" is kind of an odd concept with this stuff, because there are a million ways to implement it, and they all have advantages and shortcomings. I've found what works best for me and my house, but there are a ton of knowledgeable goons in this thread who have done things completely differently.

This article on Ars Technica is what got me started down the Home Assistant rabbit hole early this year.

It's not actually a great beginner's guide; they don't explain (or even mention) the Zigbee or Zwave protocols, and the first item under "recommended devices" is building your own ESP8266 device. Umm, sure, you can totally do that, I guess. But they do go over some of the neat things HA is capable of, and that inspired me to buy some stuff and give it a try. There are good device suggestions in this thread; HA has very good integration with most Zwave and Zigbee devices, so if you stick with one/both of those protocols, most everything should work.

My personal home setup is below. I didn't want to re-wire any of my wall switches, so I went with an all-wireless solution using Lutron Aurora dimmers. I love them so far.

- Home Assistant running on an old Raspberry Pi3+
- HUSBZB-1 USB Zigbee/Zwave Combo Hub
- Innr Zigbee RGBW LED Bulbs
- Innr Zigbee White LED Bulbs
- Lutron Aurora Zigbee Dimmer Switches (they pop over a wall switch and can pair directly with bulb groups)
- Aqara Zigbee Mini-Switch Buttons
- Aqara Zigbee Door/Window Sensors

There are 25 Zigbee devices in the network, including 16 smart bulbs. I have everything integrated with Google Assistant, so I can do plain-language voice commands and custom routines from my Android phone.

I've also done some useful automations. Living-area lights automatically start to fade up a little while before sunset, and all outdoor lights react to local sunrise/sunset times. I have a "ready for bed" command that turns off most of the downstairs lights and illuminates a path to my bedroom, turning on the bedroom lamp. Then a double-tap of the button on my nightstand turns everything off except for a couple of dim nightlights.

Currently I'm working on adding sensors to my backyard gates, which will give us audio chimes when the gates open/close, and it will fire off a warning and a phone notification if they're open for more than five minutes (dog-proofing the yard is a priority).

All of this was created with HomeAssistant's built-in functions, with the exception of the audio stuff (sounds and text-to-speech), which required a HA plug-in and a little bit of tinkering. If you're willing to do some DIY work with scripting, HA is a great option for doing some awesome stuff.

Edit: If you look at the devices I linked, ignore the "Requires Aqara Hub" nonsense in the descriptions. All of them are standard Zigbee devices and should work with any Zigbee hub. They work perfectly with my HUSBZB-1 stick.

Thanks for this. I played around with HA a few years ago but found it really obtuse and confusing. Although it maybe didn’t help I was running it in docker on a NAS.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Currently we only have a handful of smart bulbs (BrilliantSmart brand which is some weird Australian brand I think?) and a tp-link plug but if I can get them all working out of one app rather than several that would be nice.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's the suggested method to install HA on a Pi4? I currently have just Pi-Hole installed on mine so I guess I would need to wipe that and start from scratch?

I can't see to find a straightforward guide to install via SSH anywhere though.

EDIT: Do I just follow this from Section 2?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 9, 2021

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Semi Networking question but it's related to HA so I'll try here. I have now setup HA on a RPi4 I had and it's all working pretty well. I've read that it is best to VLAN off HA and all IOT devices together. Is the guide below roughly what I need to follow to do that? Bit of a networking dummy but that guide seems straight forward enough.

https://xdeb.org/post/2020/unifi-edgerouter-guest-iot-vlan/

I'm running an ER-X and Unifi on my NAS. Will probably need to upgrade my AP to support 5Ghz networks soon as well.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any reason not to upgrade from a TP Link Kasa smart plug to a Philips Hue one except for price?

The Kasa one drops off my 2.4GHz network from time to time probably because I’m in an apartment and it’s a flooded frequency. I have a Hue Hub so I assume that would fix that problem?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Longshot, but does anyone know how to get HA devices to show up on another iPhone?

Randomly about a year ago all my HA devices showed up in Apple Home on my iPhone, which was great but I have no idea how it happened. I assumed I needed to install the HA app on my partner's phone to get this to work for her. However, I've done that and it just doesn't show up. I tried inviting her to the home a while back but now that option is gone in Apple Home. I also tried deleting her home and adding new but it just created a new Home and there was no option to use the HASS bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Celexi posted:

you need to add the HomeKit bridge integration, and then after picking the categories you want, you either exclude (tick ones you don't want to show up) or include (tick ones you want to show up) after this is done it should show a notification with a qr code when you go on the home app to add devices and do the "no qr code option."

Thank you! Oh right, so I need two Services in the HomeKit integration per user/Apple login? I've added her now via that but that seems to have broken my stuff so may need to add mine again I guess.

EDIT: OK nope that's not it as I added mine to her one by using the same QR code it broke hers...

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 4, 2024