Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Phone posting, but can't you just get a 4 channel encoder?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s=REG&A=details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
On this note. I should be moving into a place I own within two months. I plan on going hog wild with automation.

From my research, it seems like there is no perfect controller. I have looked into Vera, SmartThings, OpenHAB and HomeSeer.

I have a home server, so spinning up a VM and passing through a Z-Wave stick or whatever isn't hard.

Any suggestions to point me towards something that will function and I will not hate? Looking to use a thermostat, door lock, window/door/motion sensors and light bulbs/switches.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

hotsauce posted:

Samsung Smart Things hub is $49 at Amazon/Newegg. Pricematch to your local Best Buy if you want it today (hopefully it doesn't go out of stock at Amazon/Newegg first).

Also, the Home kit is $100 off, so $149 at Amazon and Best Buy.

My insteon $29 thingy is going back to Costco today since it doesn't work with Google Home and is older tech (powerline communication).

Good prices if you want to jump into the Smart Things world (Z-Wave)...

I was just eyeballing that. I still think I am going to go with HomeSeer just because people always say ST works like 70% of the time.

I wonder if a v3 ST hub is on its way?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

dreesemonkey posted:

In a year or two if I'm happy with the security camera idea I may build a beefy server and have it do it all (or VMs).

This is the route I am going for my new place. Already have a beefy whitebox ESXi server at home, going to add in a VM for cameras and one for HomeSeer (most likely).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Jerk McJerkface posted:

BB has the $25 off $100 if you use VISA checkout, so I picked up a Smartthings hub. a sensor, and an outlet.

So I need to get a controller and have been torn between ST, VeraPlus and a USB Z-Wave stick with some software.

Should I just stag this to get started?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Electronaut posted:

I've been happy with my VeraPlus. I screwed up the Z wave controller in it trying to migrate my existing Z wave network to the point that it was hosed. Setup a support ticket and enabled remote assistance and their technical support was able to remote in and fix the problem completely. I have a handful of Lutron Caseta lighting devices plus some Z wave locks, light switch, and power receptacle, and my Ecobees.

Good enough for me, will pull the trigger on one. I would prefer full functionality even if the internet dies, which apparently ST doesn't offer.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Electronaut posted:

It does support offline capabilities, obviously devices that integrate over the Internet probably won't work. I'll give this a test tonight to see how well things go. My Lutron and Ecobee stuff probably won't work but who knows.

I pulled the trigger on one, will be here next week.

First order of business is new lock for the front door. I have been eyeballing a Schlage Sense unit, looks nice and can program codes for guests and whatnot.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Electronaut posted:

Hold up on the Sense. It's their Bluetooth lock which I can't see any compatibility info for. I have Schlage Connects which are Z Wave powered.

Ah yeah, it was the Connect I was looking at, just got confused with the name. Model BE469

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

evilweasel posted:

Lutron Caseta light switches are how I handled this exact thing. It requires its own hub but it integrates perfectly with alexa. You need to get the three-way switches (the more expensive version) if you have lights controlled by two light switches, the cheaper one if you just need the one switch or are willing to use the remote as an "extra" switch (I wasn't).

I'm just starting down the smart home route and recently added some Lutron Caseta lighting to my setup. My old rear end townhome doesn't have a neutral wire, so their dimmers are my easiest option. Their non-dimmer switch DOES require a neutral, so it looks like everything in my place will be dimmable. Also the dimmers with pico remotes are cheaper than the non-dimmer switches.

Linking Caseta and Alexa was about a 5 minute process, same with linking Caseta and Vera.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
https://home-assistant.io

Or

https://www.openhab.org

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have had my Schlage zwave unit (just like the one above) in for two months now. It's the first in the chain (first device I added and closest to my controller), currently battery shows 98 percent.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I want an Ecobee3 lite but really have no use for it. Where I live no one has AC and my heat is single zone hot water baseboard.

Side note: I have bought 6 of the EcoSmart Dimmable LEDs to go with my Caseta switches, two were DOA so far. :(

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Derr, I am good at posting.

Moey fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 23, 2017

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I've been happy with my Vera, Lutron Caseta switches and Schlage door lock.

Going to add in some GE outlets at some point.

Edit: Sylvania "Ultra LED" dimmable work fine with Caseta dimmers. My local Lowes carries them.

Moey fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 23, 2017

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

LastInLine posted:

I feel like they are bullshitting you to avoid having to replace a broken unit.

This is where I am leaning.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I don't get why the router would matter with a Nest thermostat.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

HycoCam posted:

South Park is getting in on the fun with Alexia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf0WJQfGQoY

Watched that last night and my Alexa was getting triggered.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

eddiewalker posted:

No smart switch that claims to work without a neutral is worth a poo poo with LED bulbs, so I wouldn't really consider it an option. They worked by leeching a small current through the filament of incandescent bulbs to power the switch.

Lutron Caseta isn't bad, just do some research on the LED bulbs before you buy them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I thought Lutron prices were kinda high, but I guess I know zero about roller shades.

Let us know what you find. I got a wall of windows I need coverered.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Drape Culture posted:

My house was built in the 60s

Not being negative here, but any chance at just pulling new wire? My shithole was built in 1961 and the whole 'no neutral wire' era blows.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Lutron Caseta also doesn't need a neutral wire. I'm using their dimmer switches everywhere and love em.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Slash posted:

I don't think they'll fit into a standard UK wall socket though, whereas the LightwaveRF ones look like they should just be a drop-in replacement.

Ahhhh, yes yes.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
These things are also quite nice.

https://m.mieleusa.com/domestic/product-selection-of-coffee-machines-2513.htm#6

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My relatives had one installed in their newly built house. They are well off money wise and it looks nicer than having a coffee pot sitting on the counter. Makes some decent drinks.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Chromecast can turn on lights for me when I'm carrying poo poo? Good to know.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zero VGS posted:

families have a different use case than a sullen goon.

How do you turn on the lights when one arm is carrying a 24 pack of mountain dew and the other has your anime pillow?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

uPen posted:

Seriously just run a cat6 into the garage and be done with it. Anything else you consider is a waste of time.

I'm all for the lazy "smart" solution, but this is the answer.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Shouldn't have had that shared out to everyone on the local network.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

I spent a couple hours flashing my first Sonoff switch with the Tasmota firmware today. Now that I've got it figured out I can flash the rest of the 5 others I bought in about 5 minutes.

5 bucks + cost of sacrificial extension cord for a wifi-controllable, mqtt-enabled switch is pretty nice.

What are you using these for?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SpartanIvy posted:

Is anyone else's SmartThings app not responding? I can't seem to login to either app, which means my siren is now blaring while wrapped up in a towel and stuck in a closet because I can't disarm my system.

e: Apparently it's a thing https://community.smartthings.com/t/anyone-else-experiencing-the-outage/136312

I'm quite happy I went with Vera over ST.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'd rather run some wired POE cameras at that point.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Also echoing that ESXi passthrough is pretty drat stable currently.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If you want something nuc sized but cheaper (and don't need the latest gen processors), look on eBay for an HP Elitedesk 800 Mini.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Combat Pretzel posted:

For some reason I'm intent on finding a quad core, and ideally not that weak sauce Pentium J1900 or whatever it was. Also it needs to look somewhat fancy, since it's likely going to me mounted to a wall.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDe...6UAAOSwfSldMoO5

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a very dumb question that I feel like I should know the answer to. I've been getting more smart stuff over the past year and realized it's probably not the most secure. Everything is connected to my network via WiFi on a Ubiquti UAP HD Nano, which is wired to their ER-X. Is there any guide to what I should be doing to make this more secure?

Do you need those devices to still talk to anything on your LAN, or just to be able to get to the internet?

If it is the latter, Unifi can do a guest network for you. If you need some limited access to the LAN from some devices, you will have to setup an additional VLAN and do some firewallin'.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000166827-UniFi-Guest-Network-Guest-Portal-and-Hotspot-System#2

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/djhmul/dont_get_chinese_smart_plugs_tuya_smart_life_etc/

Food for thought.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

Here's something that might be of interest to some other cheap people like me. Sonoff has a pan/tilt camera that looks like it might be better than a Wyze since it supports RTSP out of the box, has an ethernet port, and is only $30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE38eqP84w8

That looks like a great value, but why the hell is it such an ugly form factor? A normal dome/bullet wouldn't do?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I also have the same lock (3 years now). No issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

blugu64 posted:

Looking for recommendations on a smart plug that can handle 15amp 120v. Preferably smartthings compatible and zwave/zwave plus.

I'm doing a dumb thing and buying a coffee maker that I don't have to worry about breaking...but since it's a commercial machine it doesn't have an on/off switch, so I'm going to turn it on/off on a schedule in the mornings.

Here's the specs

I have a similar model at my office. There is an on/off switch on the back.