Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I need a couple indoor IP cameras for my home, so the other family in our nanny share can check in when the kids are over here. I've got a pretty thorough home network set up, so my ideal device would probably be something that serves up a stream over HTTP that I could just proxy through nginx with HTTP Basic Auth. Wifi would be ideal, PoE might be doable (I'll have to double-check how many ethernet ports I've got in the living room, I've already got my Ubiquiti AP plugged using one).

I've been fooling around with a Pi Zero W + camera kit but may find the result unsatisfactory (assuming I can make it work at all)

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

blunt posted:

TP-Link Tapo cameras support RTSP out of the box and don't require a subscription. Basic ones start at $20

Thank you, I ended up at the same conclusion yesterday, ordered the cheapest one to try it out. I'll try to remember to report back on how well it works.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Thank you, I ended up at the same conclusion yesterday, ordered the cheapest one to try it out. I'll try to remember to report back on how well it works.

The camera showed up, I interfaced it with Zoneminder, it seems to be working fine so I've ordered some more.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GigaFuzz posted:

I've been fine with the basic Aqara motion sesnor: https://www.aqara.com/en/product/human-motion-sensor/. Same use case as you, motion-detected hall light, connected to Home Assistant via ZHA.

Edit: There's also a newer P1 model, but I don't know what difference it makes.

I have one of these in my living room, programmed to turn on a lamp when there's motion and the light level is low. Works great.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Celexi posted:

added my hue lights to the home assistant using zigbeqtt directly, one less bride.

see this is the danger of spending all evening fiddling with your HA setup