Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

RIP Paul Walker posted:

we have Aliexpress $35 720p IP cameras and blue iris at the shop. It works pretty well, considering how cheap it is. By far, the biggest expense is the PC to run it all on.

Also, the china cameras lose time and are kind of pieces of poo poo, but you don't notice once it's set up and Blue Iris is taking care of "details" like time.

Care to link which model you've got? There's shitlaods on Aliexpress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

pr0k posted:

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I get analysis paralysis when I try to figure out what's available.

I want:

• 4 cameras (preferably wireless)
  • camera footage backed up somewhere online
  • not to have to pay a monthly fee

I think that's it? I can't think of any other feature that I absolutely have to have.

I've got a netgear Arlo system, which is really neat because it has a camera which is battery-powered and therefore completely wireless. They've also just released a wired camera which supports more features.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/

Completely idiot-proof to setup and you get 7-days of free cloud recordings which you can download if you're interested. If you wanted to pay a monthly subscription it increases the duration and storage limits of the online backups.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

tk505 posted:

Hello all,

My wife recently got me an Amazon Echo Dot as a present. Little did she know that I'd then commence planning to spend £100s on a home automation system...

...However my researching has led me to be a bit overwhelmed by the choice that's out there now. I've made a plan and I think it's good, but I reach out to you kind souls to let me know what you think.

I've copy pasta'd the plan I wrote myself while researching below.

What to people think? Will this work for what I want to achieve? Are there better/cheaper/more 'future proof' alternatives?

You may notice that there's no Hub mentioned in there. With the various items having their own Alexa compatible bridge, I'm thinking that right now I don't need one? Please let me know if I have that backwards.

I own my home and renovated it from scratch about 3 years ago, so while I can drill holes if necessary I really want to avoid chasing out walls for serious hard-wired solutions right now.

Any help, comments etc very welcome.

Have you considered using smart switches instead of smart bulbs?

I'm at the point of planning out an automated lighting system and I think Smart switches are the way to go. Because even if the system fails (wi-fi drops out etc...), at least the smart switches will fall back to being dumb switches. Also for guests who don't know the voice commands, can just use the wall switches.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Three Olives posted:

At risk of sounding like an infomercial ... Google Home ...

Care to do a breakdown of the kit that you have running this?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

paternity suitor posted:

Actually I have one single item in my growing smart home that is a disappointment. The Harmony Hub. The dang thing just loses connection. It's so close to being amazing. I can shout at my TV to do things! And it does it...90% of the time. It's reliable for the programmed events at least. So that's cool.

My Harmony Hub is 100% reliable. I've only had it about a month, but it's never lost connection and has worked flawlessly after the initial set up.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Neon Belly posted:

I use a Nest Cam for this purpose and I've been told the Arlo Q pretty much gives an identical experience.

I use the original Arlo wireless camera for this reason, works great.

Need to replace batteries in the camera about every 6 months or so, but allows much greater flexibility and ease of camera placement without the wires.

Only gripe with it, is that the motion detection is a little slow to start recording, so you often miss the first few seconds of whatever triggered it.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Bluer during the day time, change to yellow in the evening.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Moving into a newly built house in the next few months. First order of business is going to be automating all the lighting. I'm in the UK, which limits my options with regards to smart switches due to how our lighting is wired up (no 3rd wire behind the switches).

I'm currently eyeing up LightwaveRF(https://lightwaverf.com/generation2) as this supports our wiring and lets us have "smart" switches and also physical switches. Does anyone have any experience with this system that they care to share?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Moey posted:

Lutron Caseta also doesn't need a neutral wire. I'm using their dimmer switches everywhere and love em.

I don't think they'll fit into a standard UK wall socket though, whereas the LightwaveRF ones look like they should just be a drop-in replacement.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

How about one of the Amazon Echo's which have video?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

I know, it was tongue in cheek. My point stands. My WiFi is very reliable. I’m not concerned about it going offline.
Slightly OT. What Mesh wifi system do you have and would you recommend it?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I don't know if Alexa has native integration with Harmony but Google Assistant doesn't so complicating the matters is having to build IFTTT recipes to do things (which broke with Harmony around Christmas last year requiring me to use Stringify to get IFTTT to work) so it's kind of clunky in that you have to make your trigger phrases ahead of time.

Even with native support though it just wouldn't be that wonderful. It's great for stuff like turning everything on which takes time with a Harmony anyway, you can do it in the kitchen while you're preparing your snack and when you sit down it's ready to go. It's great for turning everything off when you're done. Everything in between is better just using the remote.

Yes Alexa does have native support for Harmony. I can say stuff like "Turn on BBC 1" to Alexa and the harmony will activate the appropriate activity, and then enter the correct channel number automatically. This is through the Harmony Favourites.

Turn on/off works perfectly for all activities, Play/Pause works 90% of the time. There's also a secondary harmony skill which lets you specify commands directly but the voice syntax is a bit more clunky "Alexa, tell harmony to [exit]" for example.

I have both skills active as it lets me use the standard commands with the simple voice interface and the more esoteric commands using the longer syntax.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For info, you can do this with Echos now if you go into the Harmony app and set up an activity /scene /whatever they call it

You don't need to set up Routines for this. The Harmony skill already allows you to say "Turn on TV", or "Turn on Shield" without any extra config.

This is the new version of the Harmony skill which was enabled about 6 months ago in the UK.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Ring Pro Doorbell is on sale for Prime Day. Would be interested in any first-hand opinions on it. Is it any good, or should i just stump up for the Nest Hello?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

There's discussion of Ring on the previous page, but I don't guess it was the Pro model. I'm not sure what difference Pro makes.

After further reading, it seems that the Nest Hello has it beat on all fronts.

Over the non-pro verion the pro version is wired, supports 5GHz wifi and has "Advanced motion detection incl. defining zones"

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Oh OK. Are there any guides on how to set that up anywhere? That does sound like a better solution.

Here's a good start:
https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/presence-detection/

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Decairn posted:

I use the Monoprice ZWave door sensors (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24259). 5 are reporting 100% battery after 7 months and 1 had batteries replaced last week. They all have the same settings (including only wake on open/close), they are all within 10 feet of a powered ZWave switch/repeater. It's a mystery why the one is draining more. Other than that, they work flawlessly. They are compatible with SmartThings although I have them setup with Home Assistant.

How do you interface Z-Wave to Home Assistant? Are you using a USB adapator? I'm not sure i can do that as i run Home Assistant on my Synology NAS in a docker.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Kalman posted:

If your Synology has a USB port it should be possible to pass it in to the docket container. (If not, I have seen people do things with USB serialized over Ethernet and the Zwave adapter on a Pi remote from the HA machine, but it seems to be a slight hassle/not 100% stable.)

Yep it does have a USB port, interesting i'll have to look into it. Does anyone have an guide for setting up Z-wave with Home assistant?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Thanks for all the replies, I'll investigate.

Slash fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 2, 2019

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Croatoan posted:

I'm currently super frustrated with my harmony hub. I added a fire TV to it on my roku smart TV and it works fine except sometimes it gets in their weird mode where you can't exit the fire input unless you use the native remote and if you do that the fire device somehow goes into this mode where the harmony remote clicks and nothing happens except it says the fire device is in HDMI 1 which yeah I know. Only way I can fix it is to re-sync the hub and reboot my system. Haven't figured out what the gently caress yet.

Sometimes my Harmony remote gets screwy(maybe a couple of times a year). Usually just going back to the activities screen and re-entering the current activity fixes it.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Huh, interesting. So what was all the buzz and Google made a terrible mistake stuff coming from?

It's third party integration with Nest that people are concerned about. Google have shut down the "works with nest" program which was used to allow 3rd party integrations (i.e. Home Assistant, Alexa, etc...).

Apparently they are going to change this to a "Works with google..." program eventually so perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Ditto, I just added the Home Assistant image to docker on my Synology and that was it. It's been running for about a year now with zero issues.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I have a bunch of the Xiaomi stuff arriving over the next few weeks (slowboat from banggood), including outdoor soil/temperature sensors and indoor temp/humidity sensors. Once it's all arrived i can provide some more info on how well it works, it seems pretty cheap so far and should integrate nicely into my Home Assistant setup.

The reason I choose the Xiaomi gear is because the guys who have large/complex home assistant setups seem to use it.
e.g. https://github.com/JamesMcCarthy79/Home-Assistant-Config

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Please can you link to the specific items?

These are the parts i have ordered so far.

https://www.banggood.com/Original-X...ur_warehouse=CN
https://www.banggood.com/Original-X...ur_warehouse=CN
https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Flo...ur_warehouse=CN
https://www.banggood.com/New-Arriva...ur_warehouse=CN

They arrived today, note that the gateway has a chinese plug and will need an adaptor to plug it into the wall!

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

How did it go? Also, did you order the Aqara gateway (wasn't linked)?
I did get the aqara gateway. And it is now all working!

Unfortunately the latest firmware it comes with closes the port which home assistant communicates with this requires some pretty complex tinkering to resolve.

You need to disassemble the gateway(special screwdriver required) and hook it up(soldering required) to a PC using a USB-UART adapter. Then use Putty to connect to the virtual COM port and run some commands to open the required port on the internal firewall of the gateway.

Once i'd done all that though it works perfectly and i can now add more XiaoMi Aqara/Mijia devices to my home assistant.

I've also discovered that the plant monitor that i linked does not talk to the gateway and instead talks directly to your phone app using bluetooth, I'm currently investigating a solution to this. This solution will probably be to use a ESP32 running ESPHome as a bluetooth to mqtt proxy.

I've now ordered a Xiaomi Door sensor which i plan to use to trigger some more automations. Overall i'm happy with how it's working it was just a bit of a pain to get the gateway working with home assistant.

Here's what my current Work In Progress Home Assistant Dashboard looks like:

- The temperature graphs are from the Xiaomi temperature sensors
- The Dressing table lights use a Xiaomi wireless button to turn on a smart plug using an automation.
- Other lights are either Hue bulbs or Sonoff-Tasmota wifi switches
- The TV stuff is from Logitech Harmony Integration
- The presence detection uses a combination of the Home Assistant iOS app and a Pi Zero W running the following code https://github.com/andrewjfreyer/monitor

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Is there a particular reason you didn't use zigbee2mqtt instead of the aqara gateway?

Wanted to get it working with the official kit first (because i thought it would easier, lol) Will investigate the zigbee2mqtt stuff further down the line.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Violator posted:

I recently discovered Wyze cameras. $25 security cam with (at least to me and my uses) great image quality. But the reviews say it phones home to China and their "free" cloud storage is questionable since that has to be paid for somehow on their end and I can't imagine profits from cheap cameras would do it. Is going down this road of cameras worth investigating? I was thinking of dipping my toe in since they're so cheap and I could throw them up in a few spots but if it turns out to be security risk I'd rather go with something else.

https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-Indoor-Wireless-Camera-Vision/dp/B076H3SRXG

I know Apple is supposed to be providing better infrastructure in the next iOS release for Homekit cameras, so I don't know if it would be something worth waiting for that.

I need to dig through this thread to see if folks have been talking about this, it's been a while since I kept up.

I use this firmware on my Wyzecam clone: https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks

It works great and integrates with Home assistant for both RTSP streaming and MQTT for control.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Does night mode work with that?

I've considered trying Wyze out with dafang a few times but never got around to it.

I think so, what does night mode do? These are the MQTT topics/switches that you get:

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Shut up Meg posted:

Indoor security cams

Seems to be a recurring question here, but is there a solution for a camera that I can use online, but won't set up a DDOS network with my fridge or set up a livestream of my taking a dump?

I want an indoor security camera so that if someone breaks in, I can get an alert on my phone and call the cops. Also for checking while I am on holiday to make sure the ceiling hasn't fallen in.

Storing locally on an SD card or NAS is of limited use since if they can get inside, there's a good chance they will steal/break local storage.

Kasa has some stuff that is branded with TP-Link and seems to get reasonable reviews and includes 2 days of free online storage. Or is it naive to assume that TP-Link would at least take a cursory look at the network security of devices they are endorsing?

I use the Netgear Arlo cameras. I specifically use the completely wire-free ones as they suited my use case the best. Unfortunately they take a few seconds to wake from sleep so you often miss the first few seconds of any motion event. I don't believe this limitation exists for the wired ones.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

You don't need to use HASS.io you can use the standard version of Home Assistant.

I run the normal version of home assistant in a docker on my Synology NAS.
https://hub.docker.com/r/homeassistant/home-assistant

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Photex posted:

anyone have a source to get Shelly stuff these days? It looks like a bunch of their offerings have been out of stock on Amazon for awhile..I wanted to get another Shelly H&T and a flood sensor.

edit: In the USA

I just installed shelly1/shelly2.5 in all my light switches. I purchased them direct from the manufacturer, they're not particularly speedy but shipping to the UK was reasonable for a bulk order.

https://shelly.cloud/

Not sure whether shipping to the US is reasonable though.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Silicon Labs also just opened zwave.

Hopefully that will drop the prices of Z-Wave devices.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Z-wave is another wireless protocol, and requires its own hub. Hue lightbulbs for example use z-wave. Z-wave devices also act as repeaters so can be really useful if you need to cover a large area.

Z-wave devices are traditionally more expensive than zigbee/wifi ones as you have to pay a license to use the technology.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Hue uses zigbee.

noted, my bad.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Keyser_Soze posted:

My mom didn't listen to me (was going to buy/install Abode stuff for her at about $500 + $25/month) and instead had ADT come out and charge her $2,399 to install about $500 worth of wireless gear, including their ADT branded Ring doorbell and also she gets to pay $59.99 per month for 2 years on contract for service.

I need to check on the wireless repeater they installed for sure as well but I'm not sure if I can toss it on its own wifi network without messing up everything connected to it.

:smith:

If they're anything like ADT in the UK you should check out the cancellation fees in the contract.

We moved into a new house and a salesman came to the door to try and sell the system to us, minimum 3 year contract with several hundred Pound fees to cancel early. I told them to get f*cked and have been warning all my neighbours to read the contract carefully.

Slash fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 30, 2019

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Rapulum_Dei posted:

UK switches and ones that aren’t double have more than one switch per room.

There was nearly a row when I put Tuya plugs on the lamps in the lounge, so replacing the rocker switches with glowing blue touch pads isn’t going to do.

I’ve impulse purchased some Shelly 2.5s to see if they fit, I’m not optimistic though

I've put Shellys behind all of the light switches in my house (UK also). I did have to install some spacers on the more crowded backboxes to make enough space though. This is the closest i found to a "drop-in" replacement which still leaves the physical switches.

Once you've got the Shelly installed change the Switch Mode to "Edge", that way the physical switch will always work no matter what state the lights are in. Also set them to MQTT control, this disables the Cloud stuff and lets you hook them up to Home Assistant. You can re-flash them with tasmota but i didn't bother as the stock firmware works fine for me.

Another tip is to set them to Static IP address, this resolved an issue i had where two of them would drop off the wifi network after a few weeks.

e: You can install the Shellys at the other end of the connection (i.e. by the light) if that works better for your wiring. Also don't forget that you need a neutral wire for the Shelly 2.5

Slash fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 31, 2019

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Is that particular to 2.5s, I can’t remember if there’s a neutral in the switch, I’ve a horrible feeling they’re all live lines?
The main ones I want to change are the switches for the hall and outside lights so I have them come on when it gets dark. But as you’d expect the switch boxes are in solid walls.

I think I’ll also pick up one of these to see if it can work with HA https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-900-series-13a-2-gang-sp-smart-socket-white/827gv#product_additional_details_container . Some reviews mention they worth with smart life so maybe the wireless Tuya flasher will work. Cheap enough if it doesn’t.

Both the Shelly 1 and 2.5 require neutral. I think the new dimmer version doesn't though.

If you don't have neutrals inside your wall switches then you can instead wire the Shelly inside the ceiling crown or in the ceiling instead.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I thought people only used Hue automations so that the Echo devices didn’t need a cloud service to contact to control the integrated devices. Can’t you use Casa Nabu or the self-hosted version and avoid all of that? Then you can expose things that don’t look like lights, etc.

Yep the "paid-for" home assistant cloud integration works perfectly with Alexa. You can choose what to expose and it "just works". I use it to expose lights, temperature sensors and scripts so far.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Cornjob posted:

Does a thing such as this exist? I want something that can run an entire alexa routine at the push a button. Im sick of voice controls, especially for routines that get run alot.

I know echo buttons exist, I have some. They only work about 50-75% of the time, and are not exactly an ideal form factor

My dream is either
1. a battery operated wall switch.
2. An app that I can use with a cheap smart device

My problem is that the alexa app (and the echo show) sucks when it comes to quickly accessing and running your favorite routines.

If the alexa app allowed you to create widgets, it would be simple.

I hoe theres some obvious solution im overlooking.

If the echo buttons aren't reliable enough for you then I think you'll need to use another platform to trigger your routines. Personally i use these Xiaomi Zigbee switches(https://www.banggood.com/Original-Xiaomi-Smart-Wireless-Switch-p-1045081.html?rmmds=search). They do however need a separate hub. I use Home Assistant to integrate the multiple systems and they work 100% reliably for me. I think they also have an Alexa skill to integrate natively, but i have not tried this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I have paired an Ikea Tradfri strip-light to a Hue hub, and it shows up within the Hue app. It was a pain in the rear end to get it work initially, but once i managed to get them to pair up (following a guide on the internet) it has worked flawlessly.