Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
I haven't actually looked into this, but can you tie one ZigBee device (a doorbell/button) to another ZigBee device (siren/some sort of sound maker) so that it doesn't require an intermediate hub all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'

ToxicFrog posted:

And it's currently running nixos, so managing services and containers is dead easy; unfortunately that does not extend to managing VMs, it just throws you to the wolves there and tells you to manage them by hand. I might end up writing a nixos module for qemu vm support about it or something, depending on how this goes.

Funnily enough I was considering changing my virtualized servers in proxmox to run NixOS. How do you find it? Do you use docker with it?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Anyone have some good (small & cheap) IR blasters that work with HA? I have a couple of IR controlled string lights that I want to automate.

https://www.ovedecors.com/us/watterfall-20-ft.html

These are them. The IR receiver is in the plug that plugs into the wall. I’m also down to replacing the power pack if that’s something that’s reasonable/makes sense.

Edit: The lights themselves have one of these connectors

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LCV8LGA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_G3b1FbK5H9Z85?th=1

The connector plugs into the actual power supply, which also houses the IR sensors.

I don't know the specific model, but broadlink makes some that seem to work pretty well.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

blindjoe posted:

Anyone have any suggestions, ideas on how to do this?

Not sure if it's the best option but using one or more Hue switch module somewhere should be the most seamless hue compatible option. I'm not sure if it's best to put them near the lights or on each switch though. It may also require neutral wires.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

I have one of those cheap wireless battery operated doorbells. Is there any suggestions for ways I can get home assistant to detect it going off? Maybe it's a radio signal, or I could try to open up the receiver and see if there's an easy way I can get an esp32 to detect it going off.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Yes, unfortunately. I think running a separate instance of Home Assistant would both cost too much and be too much effort. I've just discovered there are USB over ethernet adaptors, I do have a spare ethernet cable run to the garage so in theory I could get another Sonoff USB dongle - I just hoped that there was a more convenient way.

You could get a ZigBee controller that runs over Ethernet instead? Though they may be more expensive.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

What's better, installing a whole smart switch, or installing a smart relay like shelly behind a normal switch? If all else is equal.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Any recommendations for power monitoring smart plugs in the UK that can take the lead of a washing machine? I would like to use it to detect when the washing is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Any good smart bulbs that are actually bright? Got some 1100 lumen Philips hue and quite disappointed at how dark they still are. Though this is a recurring problem for most lights for me.

Maybe I'll end up getting one of those massive LED cobs.