Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I want to setup ZoneMinder with a single 5MP Amcrest camera, in a simple low-traffic environment (in my garage). Half the reason is to keep an eye on a leaky pipe (not mine / can't fix), and the other half is noticing people who shouldn't be there. It is possible I may expand the system with a second camera, but that is not the immediate plan.

So, with that context in mind, which underpowered ARM SBC should I use? I have a couple already, and I'm not super excited to go spend money on a NUC or whatever. Here are two I have that might be suitable:

Pine64 RockPro64. 6-core RK3399, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME on a single lane of PCIe Gen 1.
Currently running: Armbian 24.2.1 Bookworm CLI.

Raspberry Pi 4 B, 4-core BCM2711, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo SATA on a Startech USB 3 adapter.
Currently running: NetBSD

Whichever one I'll use will be wiped and a new OS installed (probably not NetBSD, despite its fervent supporter). They both have USB 3 ports if they need more storage (prob not needed tho).

I'd like to do a lab setup with this junk I have on hand, if only to better inform my expectations before buying new hardware. But I think these boards should work ok with just one camera? No wifi, it'll all be on wired ethernet when deployed.

e: kinda leaning towards using the Raspberry Pi, since the RockPro64 is doing some other marginally interesting things at the moment.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU