Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wanna get started with home automation and to begin I want to automate the light in my entry hallway. It's indoors and a longish hallway and I want to put a sensor in the room somewhere to turn on automatically when someone walks in there and turn off after some time (say 30s). I'd also like to be able to turn on/off the light from my phone as well just for fun, but the majority of the time it should turn on/off automatically via the sensor. I also have no other automation devices, so I'm open to any platform as long as it's extendable and in active development/use. Later on I want to automate lights all over and such.

The only other thing is that I want there to still be a physical switch that'll turn the lights on, and then the lights should still turn itself off automatically after the time I set. The switch itself doesn't need to physically switch "off" you know, like those apartments with multiple switches hooked up to the same set of lights.

This room (the entire apartment actually) already has brand new dumb LED lamps installed in every outlet. I'd like to keep them as is if possible because there's no point in having controllable colors for this entry hall but later on I want LED lamps that can change color for rooms I'm actually gonna spend time in. I could probably most likely pull out and change the physical switches to something else and just change them back when I move out etc but I can't drill any new holes anywhere.

What do I need to buy to get this started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The hallway I'm talking about has one switch controlling one light. I need a physical switch because I don't ever want this to happen:

The way I was thinking was that the switch could act more like a button than a toggle. Eg hitting it just sends a signal to the smart controller device to turn the light on for X seconds and then turning it off again. Without disabling the motion sensor.

If this works out ok then the next room id like to do is maybe bedroom or kitchen, and for either of those I'd want color changeable LEDs and programmable features. For example I'd like going to Netflix or Plex or something on my computer to turn off the lights overhead and turn on a LED strip behind my monitor for example. But that's more of an implementation thing I guess and I'm more concerned with choosing the right hardware now.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 11, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ikea has a semi-new Hue competitor called the Trådfri. I don't know much about it, but it's aiming for the budget conscious no-frills market. The Gateway (wifi bridge) is €33, light bulbs are €10-€15 and come in GU10, E14, and E27 sockets, and they have an array of physical switches (dimmers, buttons, etc) that I'm not sure what the prices are. They collectively call these "steering devices."

I was at Ikea yesterday and decided to impose buy the Gateway and a single light bulb because I've never owned an IoT light bulb before and wanted to play around with it within the return period. I didn't buy a steering device because the whole point was to use my phone to control/automate everything. That was a mistake though because you can not pair a lightbulb to the Gateway—you must pair a switch to the Gateway and then I'm guessing you add lightbulbs to that switch. I wouldn't know.

I think that this is completely idiotic and is total nonsense. I think that anybody who reads the product information on the Gateway, which says the following:

quote:

With TRÅDFRI gateway and app you can control each light source individually, create different types of lighting settings - and control them by remote control or the app.

Would assume what I assumed: that I can just buy a Gateway and a light bulb and use the app to control them. But no, you need a switch to connect the bulbs to the Gateway. I figured it was an either/or situation like with the Hue: use the app but here's a physical switch for people who want one.

Speaking of the Hue, I read a comment from mid-August that Ikea pushed out a lightbulb firmware update to make them compatible with the Hue ecosystem. This in theory would mean that budget conscious people could just buy cheaper Ikea Trådfri light bulbs (white only) to add to their Hue network. In practice, you would need to have the Ikea Gateway and a switch laying around because that's the only way you can download lightbulb firmware updates. At this point just :lol: gently caress it it's no longer convenient.

Also, Ikea said HomeKit would be supported. I think that they are working on it: supposedly they accidentally changed some of the text in their product info saying it was now supported but their customer support just posted this month that yes support is coming but "in the fall."

Anyway that's the story of how I ended up here with a €32 plastic paper weight and a useless €15 lightbulb that I'm going to return.

Also,

Dogen posted:

Petition to rename thread “updating lightbulb firmware is a thing now”

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Didn’t see it mentioned here yet but Hue is going to be updating their motion sensor, wireless dimmer switch and tap light controller to be HomeKit compatible in October.

So that’s going to be awesome.

Is that a hardware or software update?

Also re: Hue. The overhead lights I wanna replace are connected to a wall switch that's also a dimmer. I was thinking I'd just set the wall switch to full brightness and the software could handle the dimming but a quick search tells me they don't recommend using their bulbs in circuits with dimmers.

Is that going to be a problem?

If it is, is removing the dimmer feature be as simple as

Step 0) switch off power at main circuit breaker
Step 1) remove dimmer switch panel
Step 2) replace dimmer switch with standard on/off switch

?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Apparently IKEA is releasing colored versions of their Tradfri bulbs that I posted about. There's a review on YouTube and also a post on reddit where someone saw one (in the Netherlands). I don't remember if the video review mentioned price, but from the picture on reddit it looks like a color bulb + dimming switch is 35 euros, which isn't actually too bad considering a Hue bulb itself is what, $50?

It also looks like it's not suppose to be released yet cause the review showed that the iOS app had no color controls, even though it did recognize the color bulb and recognized the preset colors. He also shows that it can pair with a Hue Gateway and be controlled via the Hue app just fine to select colors.

Only drawback is I guess the IKEA bulbs are 600 lumens and the Hues are 800 lumens. Practically I don't know how much of a difference this makes, though.

I was already planning on going to IKEA tomorrow to return the white bulbs I got cause I was just gonna go with a Hue, but if they have the colored bulbs I might change my mind since 35 euros for a bulb + remote doesn't sound too bad. Plus I could connect them to a Hue later then I don't see a problem at all.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 22, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Can you guys tell me if it's possible to do the following things with my new Hue and iPhone:

1. I put two bulbs in my living room and one in my bedroom. I would like the living room to turn on automagically when I'm in the living room, and my bedroom to turn on when I'm in my bedroom. I'm guessing this isn't going to be possible without multiple gateways but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

2. I have a light alarm set to start fading in at 6am and fully on at 6:30am, and then turn off at 7:30am when I leave. Is it possible to make it start changing colors, say at 7am start fading to a red color so I know to get ready to leave? I guess I could just set two alarms to do this one after another but maybe there's a better way.

What are some other "out of the box" things I can do with a Hue ad iPhone, because I can't really think of anything else but I'm not a very creative person.

Also what's the purpose of HomeKit? It's a bit annoying syncing between the Hue app and HomeKit and I'm honestly not sure what HomeKit can do for me that the Hue app can not.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I want one of my Hue lightbulbs to turn a specified color in the morning, every morning at 7am, but only when it’s raining right now.

I feel like IFTTT should be made for this kind of stuff but I’ve never used it before and can’t seem to figure out a way to use “and” statements. If not IFTTT how can I do this? I have an iPhone if it matters.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tamba posted:

https://home-assistant.io/ has a bunch of weather plugins, and it can talk to the hue hub. You'll need some kind of server to run it though (usually a Raspberry Pi)

I looked into this and found a very recent blog post on how a guy used this for his home and I'm fascinated. I use Python already every day at work so I'm quite familiar with the language and snippets like this:

code:
if group.all_devices is 'not_home':
    if time between '7:30:00' and '10:00:00' and day is not weekend:
        service.turn_off_all_lights()
Make perfect sense. I'm currently using the iOS app "iConnectHue" to do basic scheduling (wake up alarms, geofencing, etc) but it looks like rear end and if I could just set up everything in a text document then that's fantastic. Also he does a thing where he gets (push?) notifications whenever his washing machine is finished washing, which is something that I never knew I wanted but I want it.

The guy in that blog uses phrases like "any Z-Wave X device would work for Y" and what exactly does that mean? From what I gather Z-Wave is just another wireless protocol joining Zigbee, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc. What makes Z Wave so special? I see it posted in this thread a lot too, like if it were the ultimate communication standard or something.

Anyway, how's the security on Home Assistant? I don't wanna open up my home to some botnet controller you know.

Also, would this Raspberry Pi 3 kit work for it? Is 16GB enough space?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m assuming that Home Assistant works by calling an official Hue API so does that mean if internet is out my schedules don’t work? Or does the Hue Bridge allow local API calls?

Edit:

wolrah posted:

Z-Wave is another low power low speed mesh network similar to ZigBee but it's proprietary instead of an open standard. Normally this would be a bad thing, but in this case it's sort of a "benevolent dictator" situation. Devices all use the same chips and are required to support the standard profiles where applicable, meaning that you can mix and match components without worrying about compatibility. ZigBee's openness has become somewhat of a disadvantage in that many vendors have implemented their own sorts of "lock in" where certain devices won't work with certain hubs, or won't have full functionality.

In practice doesn’t this just mean that the current popular/best “Hub” device now has to pay a license/royalty to make their hub compatible with yet another standard, and 100% for sure passing down those costs to us?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 31, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What hue app are y’all using and why?

There's a wiki page on reddit is kept up to date with indie Hue apps I think.

Of the iOS ones listed there, I've tried the following:

Hue Lights
Free to download and use with IAP to unlock features. I think the free version will let you control one group of lights, but I couldn't figure out how to edit this group and deleted the app shortly after. It also looks like garbage for an iOS app.

iConnectHue
$5 + IAP to unlock some features. Not sure if it was always $5 because I'm not sure I would have paid $5 for an app I didn't get to demo first. Some of the IAP are: a widget editor (does more than the standard Hue app widget), pre-programmed scenes and animations, location based automations (use to trigger iCH scenes/animations, otherwise the Hue app and Apple HomeKit offers the same functionality for free), and I think an animation editor. I bought an IAP called "Perfect Sunrise" that's kind of neat. It's my morning alarm now and fades in over 30 minutes. Looks much better than a standard "fade in" alarm in the Hue app because it actually has some kind of color/temperature loop.

One thing that's really cool about iCH, and something that I don't think the regular Hue app does, is it lets you add the same lightbulb to multiple groups. I'm pretty sure this is a Hue limitation so iCH fixes the issue by just keeping track of virtual groups. Why would you want this? Lets say you have a Bedroom and Living Room group, and you want to create a "Morning Routine" group for reasons, to include lights from both Bedroom and Living Room. The regular Hue app does not let you schedule individual lights for some reason so you need to split up the lights into individual groups, and then you run into the limit of being able to control a maximum of four groups with a single scheduled event. With iCH, you can schedule each light individually, or you could create a virtual "Morning Routine" group with the lights you need, and then create a schedule for that group as a whole.

If Google Home, Alexa, HomeKit, or any other hub can do those things that I just wrote about then I wouldn't buy iCH. Otherwise I think it's worth it. I'd skip the widget editor and all of the scene/animation IAP though. Buy the location based automations IAP if you care about using "if this person is/isn't home then" trigger conditions. Otherwise if you just want location tracking to turn on/off your lights when you leave/get home then the regular Hue app can do that. Perfect Sunrise is really neat looking.

These ones aren't on there but they are in the App Store:

Regular Hue App
I use it to turn on/off my lights when I leave/come home. The built in scheduling features isn't sufficient for me because of the whole only being able to schedule an entire group thing. That's pretty much all I have to say about it. Oh I think you need it to update the firmware on your lightbulbs, which is still a pretty hilarious phrase to hear.

Huemote
It's a pleasing to look at app but from what I remember it didn't do schedules, so it's pretty much just a remote. I already have Hue.app and iCH to set colors so I didn't need yet another one.

I thought I tried out more apps than that but I can't find any others.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is Homebridge an addon for Home Assistant or a standalone thing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

There are so many god drat ecosystems and it's all confusing. Tell me if I've got this right:

Hue Bridge is a hardware device and talks to the Hue Lights over Zigbee which is a mesh network. Z-Wave is another network, but Hue Lights don't use it.

SmartThings/Wink are hardware devices with Zigbee and Z-Wave antennas, and can communicate with Hue Lights over Zigbee directly, replacing the Hue Bridge (i.e., I can throw the Hue Bridge away and everything will still work), or it can augment your home setup by controlling things your Hue Bridge can't, including sending commands to your Hue Bridge to control the Hue Lights indirectly.

Echo/Alexa is a hardware device that can communicate with a Hue Bridge, but does not have the Zigbee antennas needed to communicate with the Hue Lights. This in my mind makes it "not a hub" but more like a remote control.

HomeKit w/o Apple TV is just using Siri to turn on and off your lights. When I tell Siri to turn off my lights Siri calls a Hue Bridge API to do it.

HomeKit w/ Apple TV is like Alexa, "not a hub", but can set schedules and automations natively (compared to having to use eg IFTTT with Alexa). Again, Siri/HomeKit needs to call a Hue Bridge API to do things.

Home Assistant
Python based automation server that can do everything Alexa/Echo and Siri/HomeKit can do and more. Telling HA to turn off the lights will make it call a Hue Bridge API which means I need the Hue Bridge. I am assuming that if I used a Zigbee antenna then I can throw my Hue Bridge away and let it communicate with my Hue Lights directly. In this regard whatever Home Assistant is installed to can act as either a hub like the Hue Bridge, SmartThings, or Wink. Without a Zigbee it can still communicate with my Hue Bridge to command the lights.

Homebridge
Is a software based "hub" that lets me trick HomeKit into thinking it's a real device. Use cases are to add unsupported devices to HomeKit, or for me what I'm more interested in is being able to say "Hey Siri, do a thing" and have it trigger a complicated set of sequences, perhaps programmed in Home Assistant.

Is that vaguely correct?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

You missed Google Home to go along with Echo. Also, your list is pretty "Hue"-heavy. Hue is just one of many smart lightbulb providers. Most smart light bulbs OEM's don't make a bridge/hub thingy, you just use your own zigbee or zwave hub or device.

Home Assistant can't do everything Echo or Google Home can do because Home Assistant is a piece of software, not a hardware device with microphones.

e: It's Hue heavy cause those are the only devices I have and I thought it'd be better to just speak in terms of my specific use case. I didn't know about the light bulbs though, I thought they all came with a hub device (though tbh Hue and Tradfri are the only ones I know about).

I ignored Google Home because I don't use Google anything other than search.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 4, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What’s the cheapest way to monitor the temperature of several rooms (say 4)? It doesn’t need to tie back into an automation service or anything. I just wanna know the temperature of these rooms and make graphs with them and poo poo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

DIY is fine though I was thinking of a wireless solution.

I’ve done a bit more research on this and I think I’ve figured out my first project. Is there a general Raspberry Pi thread anywhere I might be able to ask questions in or would I have better luck on reddit?

I’m thinking of picking up a Raspberry Pi Zero W and attaching some kind of thermocouple on it that continuously polls the current temperature. Then I’d set up some kind of REST service (note: I have never worked with REST anything before so that’ll be a learning experience too) that can give me the current/last recorded temperature. Of course I’ll connect it to a non internet facing WLAN.

That’s the first phase. Second phase would be to get a second Raspberry Pi Zero W and set it up, but now I want to network them together via some kind of mesh. My idea would be that instead of pulling the temperatures of each RPZW individually, that each RPZW would be able to extend and access each other’s state. Kind of like a cluster I guess with all nodes able to act as the head node. I have no idea how I’d implement the mesh part but I’ve seen quite a few hits come up on a basic search.

Third phase would be to making these diy sensors compatible with HomeKit though it wouldn’t be of much use since I don’t have a smart thermometer but it’ll teach me about making diy sensors, which would be useful to know.

I guess I’ve got some more reading to do. Maybe I’ll make a thread in project logs just to keep track of everything.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does anyone have any experience with FHEM? I mentioned wanting to get into home automation to someone and he showed me his entire setup which is automated with FHEM. Ignoring that the website is like geocities quality various things I’ve found online makes claims like “faster than openhab” and so on, which I’m failing to understand since it’s not like anything these servers do are compute or IO heavy.

Anyway Id be interested if anyone had any experience with FHEM and could compare it to home assistant.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

IAmKale posted:

Well hot drat, Mozilla announced a Web of Things gateway that looks really easy to use and configure. It's still very early along in development but what they show off in this blog post looks very promising. It seems Mozilla is teaming up with the W3C to try and establish an open standard for IoT devices to communicate with each other using JSON and REST.

So is this thing yet another peer to HomeKit/Smart Things/Google/Home Assistant or is it in another class?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Philips Hue has been a total washout at my house. No one wanted to turn lights on or off with their voice or an app so they'd shut them off at the switch, which isn't really Hue's strong point.

At least I only have 3 bulbs I need to re-purpose. Now I'll have the most expensive porch lights ever.

You don’t have to use your choice or an app though? Just get the dimmer switch (the regular one, not the tap one, but I’m sure that works fine too) and stick them up on the walls right next to the regular in-wall switches and you can use Hue lightbulbs like regular lightbulbs. If your family can’t retrain to hit the Hue dimmer switches instead of the regular switches then that’s more on you guys than the Hue. The dimmer switches come with 3M command strip tape or whatever so you literally just peel and stick it onto a wall. Plus the actual switch portion of it is held in place by magnets, so you can detach it and bring it onto the couch or whatever.

ChadSexington posted:

Siri can be a little problematic. I've found that sometimes I have to phrase my voice commands in a very specific way for them to work (e.g. "Hey Siri, turn off the lights in the home office" won't work, but "Hey Siri, turn off the home office lights" will.)

She also doesn't always have her phone on her - so it's really easy to get frustrated when she wants to turn something on or off and she has to trudge back to her bag downstairs or wherever to go get it.

For the second point: you need physical switches.

For the Siri part: I’ve found the best thing to do is to use HomeKit to save named scenes, rather than controlling each lightbulb individually. For example I have a scene called “in bed” which sets one light in my bedroom off and another to like 25%. I can just say “Hey Siri I’m in bed.” as I’m changing or climbing into bed, and she sets the scene accordingly. I also have the following named scenes: “watching tv,” “reading a book,” “getting dressed,” and so on. I don’t have to say anything verbose like “enable scene x” or anything, I just tell Siri “I’m reading a book” and she helps out :).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I want 2 wall plugs that are HomeKit enabled, and I want to be able to sync the two up so that turning one on will turn on the other. What are my options for that in Europe? I see the elgato eve but it’s a bit pricey when I need to get 2.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

priznat posted:

I don't know for sure if the sync is in that but check out the Wemo minis, they're quite good and not expensive. You could probably set up an IFTTT applet to sync em.

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C063/

I've gone Homekit for my automation stuff and it's nice to see a lot of new ones coming out at CES. Interested in the new smart locks and alarm system from Arlo.

Those don’t look like they come in European variants though?

I need the sync because I have 2 sets of lights in one of my rooms that are plugged into two different outlets, but both outlets are controlled by one switch. So I figure I want to get 2 smart plugs to plug each lamp into, and then a physical button to replace the hardwired switch. (And it should be HomeKit connected because all my other lights are).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

priznat posted:

Doh sorry I was in such a reply rush I failed reading comprehension for the European part :downs:

Mostly because I got one and am quite happy with it.

Having a physical button (like the logitech pop) control more than one item is baked into Homekit and you could have it control a ton of different things simultaneously, so that’s easy!

Not seeing a European variant of the wemo mini, unfortunately...

Neat, thanks for the info and that solves one question I had then if any button will work the same way.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My Hue lights have started just turning off recently. I’m sitting on my couch and it literally just happened. All I have is a Hue bridge and I do all the automation stuff with iOS Home.app. I’ve ruled out power outage because only the Hue lights are affected. I’ve disabled all automations in Home.app, rebooted the Hue Bridge, and yesterday I went to the Hue app and did a “clean up” which I think deleted everything other than room assignments. Still turns off without any input from me, in two different rooms so it can’t be this particular circuit acting up I think. Nothing has changed. Same router, same wifi, same everything. Hue app says all lights have up to date firmware, as does the bridge.

Is there anything I can check or should I call ghostbusters? No but seriously anyone have this problem before?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Rick posted:

I wonder if resetting your bridge would help. A big pain if you have a lot of lights.

I'd reach out to support on twitter though, they're pretty decent.

Before I do that (and I think I'd have to unscrew all my fixtures to get into the light bulbs to re-add them?) I just removed the Siri/HomeKit integration and deleted/recreated my rooms. The latter I just did because I recently reset it anyway so I didn't have any scenes created yet, and all of the default Hue ones ("energize", "read") seem to have disappeared. I'm hoping this fixes it.

I found a random forums post where someone said they fixed a similar problem by assigning a static IP address to the bridge but I don't think I have that issue as my bridge's IP address has never changed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well I only have a wireless connection between the garage and the house, so I'd need to set up a router in the garage and pull wires and stuff, pulling wires in the shop... that's really something I want to avoid... wireless is a requirement for me.

And checking out the laws in Finland and apparently I need to put up signs warning of camera surveilance on my property if I do this so I am reconsidering anyway, putting up signs like that is probably worse than doing nothing.

I’m not a thief but I’d imagine that if I was then I would just rob the house next door instead of yours if you had signs that there are cameras around and they didn’t. Kinda like as long as my bike looked like it was better locked than the other bikes in the rack then I’ve basically got nothing to worry about? I thought most of this type of crime was done out of opportunity.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is it possible to give fine grained control to lights via HomeKit (or with the Hue app) to other people? I’d like to give people access to say the living room lights but not my bedroom lights for example.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Will Hue lightbulbs that say they have bluetooth still work with my Hue bridge? Quick search on the App Store shows me two different versions of the Hue app so it's kinda confusing. Just wanted to add Hue lightbulbs onto an existing bridge/network without using a new app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That's cool, thanks.

I guess I should also ask if there are any good alternatives to Hue lightbulbs now? They must be HomeKit/Siri compatible and support colors. I don't think I'd like those wifi enabled lightbulbs either as I'd rather them connect to a bridge that can be easily firewalled. Are the IKEA ones any good?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Slash posted:

To return to this subject. I have something setup like this. I have a wall-switch which when turned on/off sends a signal to Home Assistant, which then turns toggles some Hue bulbs. This way the hue bulbs are always powered so can be toggled by app automations as well as physical switch. There is basically zero latency.

This was achieved by installing a Shelly https://shelly.cloud/products/shelly-1-smart-home-automation-relay/ into the backbox behind the switch. I then set the switch to "detached" mode and the relay to be powered on. If I want to change the fixture/bulbs in the future I can just reconfigure the Shelly back to a normal switch.

Home assistant monitors the state of the Switch (over MQTT) and toggles the Hue bulbs over the Hue integration.

I’m confused what the Shelly is. I just install it inside an existing light switch and now that light switch is “smart”?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Target has the $200 Philips Hue hub + 4 color lightbulb set on sale right now. It’s 20% off and you get a $40 Target gift card. Seems like all other Hue accessories are also 20% off. The 20% off is available via the Target app in-store only it says.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 28, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there a way to get those cheap GE smartbulbs working with Hue or an Apple TV (I think that acts as a hub of sorts)? TBF in 2020 I don’t understand why they would release smart lightbulbs for only Google and Alexa but I’m not in marketing :shrug:

(All my automations (at this time do this, when I’m home do that, etc) are set up via HomeKit and I don’t want 1 extra app just to control the few GE bulbs I’ll have lying around.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I had a similar experience with an IKEA bulb when they first came out and I thought/hoped they would be better by now. I also bought one of their smart plugs about a year ago to control the lights under my kitchen cabinet and they worked but they made this mechanical switch/click sound when I turned it on that was annoying enough to return.

Do other smart plug/outlets make any sound when they get turned on? I just bought an air purifier for my bedroom but I don’t need/want the thing running 24/7. I saw that they had some “smart” options including one that supposedly senses your room size and whether or not there’s any people inside so it know when to be loud and quiet but… yeah I’m not sending that information to some random company.

I guess I’ll just add a GE bulb to my next Target run to give it a shot. Are these the ones that everyone was making fun of cause it had like a 5 minute video to reset them?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 2, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

azurite posted:

That's totally normal and has been in every smart plug I've bought, regardless of brand. What you're hearing is a relay, and it needs to be a relatively chonky one to support the things that people plug into it.

Ugh that sucks. I hope it bothers someone rich and important enough that they pour money into fixing it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

wolrah posted:

If anyone is curious about why mechanical power switching tends to be clicky, Technology Connections did a good video on the topic a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrMiqEkSk48

The video is focused on manual switches, but the same logic applies to relays.

Wow that’s really interesting. I always assumed that manual switches clicked because that’s just what people want. Like how there are audio engineers who engineer how car doors sound when they open/close just because that’s what people expect. I had no idea it’s an actual part of the design.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What are my options for HomeKit lightbulbs if I don’t have access to my apartment’s router? My new place has wifi provided by the landlord and it’s been ok so far so I don’t see any reason to pay for my own internet connection.

E: I have an iPad that stays at home “most” of the time that could handle automation related stuff, I think. But afaik it can’t act as a hub.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 12, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I've only ever used Hue lightbulbs and when I bought them they needed to be connected to a Hue Hub which needed to be connected to the router… I thought via ethernet only but I could be misremembering. I sold it all when I moved out of that house a bit ago. But that's why I was saying I don't have access to my router to plug things into it. But I see now on Hue's website that you can just skip the Hub altogether and use Bluetooth so that's a familiar option I guess. Are there any better/cheaper ones that can be set up via Bluetooth or even wifi? Also it looks like the wifi AP is broadcasting 5 GHz only.

e: I want color, all of the colors.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

You connect the bulbs to the bridge and the bridge to the internet. Using the app you set up the bridge to allow remote access, you set up a hue account and all the commands will pass thru signify servers to command the bridge.

I can’t connect a Hue Bridge to the internet because I can’t plug it into the router. I get Wi-Fi provided by the landlord for the building. The AP is broadcasting a 5GHz signal.

I’m looking for my best option for color lightbulbs that I can control on my phone/with Siri that either connects directly to wifi or something else. But I cannot plug anything into the router.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 12, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

???

I've been perfectly happy with the building wifi, why the gently caress would I want to pay a $60+ monthly bill for my own internet connection just to turn on some lights with my voice?

jfc I'm asking for options that would work with what I have available (no physical access to router, AP only broadcasting 5GHz hotspot)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Idk I felt like the other guy was telling me to get my own internet service and then he linked me to a store with a bunch of things that look like routers I plug into the wall, and I’m confused because I’m trying to say I physically do not have access to the building’s router to plug anything into it so I don’t know how a Ethernet to Wi-Fi bridge will help me. I mean I already have Wi-Fi.

E: because as I keep saying and repeating I physically don’t have access to the router to plug anything into it

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 12, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So those routers on that website will let me connect to the wifi, and then it has Ethernet ports for me to plug poo poo into? See this was a thing that I did not know existed until 2 seconds ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Sorry for coming off hostile. I didn’t know there existed things that can connect to Wi-Fi and give me Ethernet connections so I misunderstood the entire conversation/suggestions that were being suggested to me.