Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

MrYenko posted:

What kind of system is that? I'm really curious, now.
I am going to guess baseboard heating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I also would like someone to tell me what switches to buy. Most importantly I want it to function just fine as a light switch without a hub. And I *think* I want z wave for dicking around with smart hubs.

I mostly like the looks of Cooper aspire. It seems very feature complete, but I don't like that is is just a push button instead of rocker switch.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Looks like there are some that work by letting a small amount of power through the light bulb. I don't know it will work with non incandescent bulbs though.
http://www.zwavezone.com/z-wave-switch-no-neutral/

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

What resolution cameras are you using? Is the PC monitoring them all at once?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

emocrat posted:

Awesome, thanks. I have a Costco membership too so thats fantastic.
I just checked mine and couldn't find it. Maybe you'll have better luck.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Might want to check the load rating of that outlet.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Those ones that look like radiators seem to be safer. They are just uncomfortably hot to the touch as opposed to ignite your drapes/cat hot.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Got an email from ecobee that it now works with KEEN Home smart vents which look kinda nice. Has anyone tried anything like this?
I'd like to hear from an HVAC person about this. The back pressure from the closed vents might overload blower motors.

However VAVs are a thing in the commercial HVAC world, but they might also have a bypass or something to keep the air handlers happy.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is this the place to talk about security cameras too?

Somebody stole one of my parents' goats :confused: So they are asking me to put together a quote for security cameras. Are there any reasonably priced NVRs out there now that aren't unreliable buggy pieces of poo poo? Or should I just roll a PC with Blue Iris? Cloud based solutions are not an option due to lovely rural internet.

As for the cameras themselves, is HikVision still considered a reliable option?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Thomamelas posted:

And Hik is a fine option as long as you understand that the cameras should be behind a firewall with no port forwarding or other direct exposure to the internet.
Thanks for the security reminder. I'd most likely have them on their own POE switch connected directly to the NVR.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Thomamelas posted:

And Hik is a fine option as long as you understand that the cameras should be behind a firewall with no port forwarding or other direct exposure to the internet.
Okay... I didn't realize what a clusterfuck security camera supply chains are. The only direct to consumer vendor I can find that doesn't seem sketchy as gently caress is B&H, but they cost ~$100 more than I was expecting. Is there a cheaper supplier where I don't have to worry about bricking or getting a Chinese interface when updating firmware?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Tapedump posted:

Legitimately curious: What price point were you hoping for, and what price did you find (expensive)?

Not being argumentative, but B&H’s prices seem.. completely normal.

Were you envisioning like $30 cameras?
I was expecting $100-150 for decent fixed lense cameras of various focal lengths.

I actually just ordered a couple different varifocal Dahua starlight cameras to demo for my parents. I figure those should have better outdoor image quality than the 3mp HikVisions that I was looking at. After dealing with my dashcam I realize more pixels are no good if the lense is poo poo or if the sensor is noisy in low light situations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Same here. Wtf! ~$100 more when it hit request desktop site.

E: it is minimum advertised price fuckery. If I make an account and add to cart it shows mobile price.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 15, 2017

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hubis posted:

Random question: Are there any wired Z-Wave devices (like switches/outlets) that also do powerline networking? I have no specific need, but it seems to me like an obvious lay-up to piggyback on a powerline signal as a backhaul and use all the wired Z-wave devices as 1-hop nodes on a mesh backbone. Is it just that the functionality would be too bulky/the mesh protocol is robust enough that there wouldn't be a significant benefit?

I know insteon uses wireless and powerline networking. I don't have any experience with it though.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

My AliExpress order showed up!
IPC-HDW5231R-Z on the left and IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 on the right.

My first two thoughts were "oh... That bullet cam is kinda big" and "hey, they are metal construction, not plastic toys like I was expecting/feared"

I figured the cameras would produce essentially the same image with the exception that the bullet could zoom in further, but there definitely is something else going here. The following images were taken with similar exposure settings with the lighting a bit too dim to comfortably read. Bullet on left, turret on right:

Night mode without IR illumination:

Night mode with IR illumination:

I might have mixed up which turret image had the IR on, but I can tell for sure the bullet cam has an IR filter that slides into place. That is why you can't make out the image on that poster in the background. It also seems to have much less noise than the turret. I can't think of an explanation for that.
My settings were:
Shutter:0-16ms
Gain:0-50
Aperture: full open on bullet / auto selected on turret (the turret did not have a manual aperture control. I suspect it might just be a pinhole that slides in place instead of an Iris)
All noise reduction bullshit settings turned off. It creates artifacts when there is motion.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

CopperHound posted:

Night mode without IR illumination:

Night mode with IR illumination:

I started playing with this a bit more. As far as I can tell the turret only uses an IR cut filter for color, while the bullet uses an IR cut filter for color and an IR pass filter for B&W.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hubis posted:

E: does anyone have thoughts on the Ubiquiti camera stuff? I'm looking at redoing all the wired networking in the house as well and was thinking about a Ubiquiti PoE setup. The cameras would be a cool addition (and justify me upgrading the switch). Actually, does anyone know if there's an adapter to run a Raspberry Pi over PoE? Seems like an obvious use case.
I can't remember the details from when I looked into them, but I seem to recall seeing that they use a proprietary PoE implementation and are not ONVIF compliant. Seemed like vendor lock to me so I ran away.

I'd still consider them for point to point wireless. I've heard nothing but good things about those products.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is switching to IP cams an option? How many cams?

E: Nevermind... 16+ NVR would be hard to do for that price

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 5, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Oh the joys of trying to find a DVR that isn't a massive pile of poo poo/ security vulnerability.

I just rolled a blue Iris server for my parents place, but that also comes with it's own issues if you are trying to limit your tech support role. There is a huge learning curve for the setup, and I still have my doubts about network security for it unless it stays behind a VPN but that would cripple fun features like geofencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

smoobles posted:

I'm having a tough time searching for a window AC unit (~10,000 BTU) that's compatible with my SmartThings setup.

Basically it just needs to restore prior settings whenever the power goes back on, since it'll be plugged into a zwave outlet. Unsurprisingly, this feature isn't advertised on AC units because it doesn't matter to 99% of people.

Anyone have any tips?
I just loaded up the manual of a random GE window unit:

GE AEM12AX posted:

Power Outage Recovery Feature
In the case of a power outage or interruption, the unit will
automatically restart in the settings last used after the
power is restored. If the Delay 1-24hr feature was set, it
will resume countdown. You may need to set a new time
if desired.

AJCQ08ACG has terminals for a 24v thermostat, but it is much more expensive.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 1, 2018