Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Goons, I just picked up a Hue starter kit by way of the Alexa discount they're offering right now. Is there a Idiot's Guide to Hue or other hot tips that I could go look over? It's been pretty interesting to fool around with, but I'm a bit disappointed with the experience so far. What is the go to for setting up logic for waking up, sleeping, geofencing and so forth? The official app has these features built in, but they seem fairly janky in my experience. The sleeping logic appears solid, but I have yet to get the wake up routines to work and the geofencing seems nonfunctioning at the moment. Also, I can't control my setup while off the my wifi (on my phone), despite signing up for the MyHue account. Works fine if I go through the web interface though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'll give it a shot. The standard 15 second unplug should suffice, correct? Do you figure it might resolve the remote connectivity issue as well?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That's a bit concerning, but it is what it is. What's the go to for logic based scenes or whatever? IFTTT is nice, but I want to get more complicated than it allows. The app has some promising ones with the coming and going scenarios, but we know how that's been going so far. Am I just going to have to get the API and make it myself? Not a real issue if so, but I'd be nice to not have to fool with it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Anyone know what the trigger range on geofencing in the stock Hue app is?

edit - I'm not sure how I managed to gently caress that up.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 30, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

porkface posted:

These words make very little sense. Are you just asking how far away you can be?

If so, it's just about being on the same network, so wi-fi range from your AP.

housefly had it right, I meant the geofencing. The lack of documentation for the logic of their app is pretty concerning. Do the Home and Away "tabs" mean anything? What causes them to flip? Does it do it via network connection? (Apparently so) Do I need to give the app focus to trigger the flip? And so on and so forth. Their website has some FAQs, but they're not about the logic. There's a documents section of said FAQs that's laughably empty.

I'm not against going got the Smartthings hub, but I'm not where I can justify tacking on another $50 to the way too expensive lights I got the other week. The stock Geofencing seems to work reasonably well as per the wife sending me updates when I leave, but I crave more info/granularity in the settings. I may try and jury rig something in IFTTT, but only allowing for one trigger may not cut it.

EDIT - Thankfully someone's on the case.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 30, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Rick posted:

I wish IFTTT had the option of one more "if."

I like the hue triggers I have but some would be more useful if you could also have them not run if it is like 4:00 am.

Tell me about it. I love the service, but the lack of multiple conditional triggers is driving me crazy. if(triggertime && home) { dothing;}.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is the world of ESPHome just an unending nightmare or do I just have bad luck? The basic config with nothing going on either refuses to connect or for some of these whatsits gets stuck in a boot loop for what appears to be power issues connecting to wifi.

It is all just a matter of getting a vendor or clone that isn't awful? Or is the project itself a bit flakey? I've been poking at this all day and the one time I did get one of these things to connect and take updates it just started boot looping with no changes. It's damned infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

yeah I haven't done anything more intensive than "ESP module pulls data from a couple pins and sends it to hass on wifi" but it's been drat rock solid for doing that

That's what I'm trying to do but I apparently got a bad batch from whatever no name amazon seller I sourced. I started to order an Adafruit board, but it's not the right voltage for what I want. Naturally the actual factual board maker's Aliexpress page doesn't have the board for sell.

This drat Microcenter can't open soon enough.