Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyslex1c
Jun 15, 2012

MeKeV posted:

I've had mine since the beginning of the month. I chose it based on the community, and it seemed reasonably well established (for the cheaper end of the HA market).

Well, I've had a couple of niggly problems so I send in an email to support-13th October. 22nd October I get a reply asking me to turn on remote support, I do this and as of today have heard nothing else since, even with a couple of follow up emails from myself.

Unbelievable. And my return period is probably going to elapse now because I had the silly idea that an email to support would have me up and running and happy with the device!

I have been using a Vera 3 for about 9 months now. It definitely has its pain points, but I seem to be getting around them. Right now it is controlling some lights, heating/AC for 3 floors. Motion sensors seem to be tricky, because is you want near real time performance you have to crank the polling interval way up, which eats batteries. It works great with Phillips Hue. I just recently integrate a sonos speaker.

Right now, as I have time, I am adding keypad deadbolts. Next year I plan on getting the zwave Intermatic pool control kit and also adding some home theater contols to it.

All in all if you don't mind really DIYing the crap out of things, and cant deal with a fair amount of frustration from figuring the thing out, the Vera 3 is a pretty powerful thing. The plugin support for third party stuff is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyslex1c
Jun 15, 2012
I have a wired alarm system and my house is only 5 years old, so im in the same boat. I did see an alarm panel that can integrate with the vera via a plugin.

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_dscalarmpanel