Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I use my Nest to control an AC-only system in a ~920sqft apartment, because heat is for silly northerners.

I'm trying and failing hard to visualize thermostats for each room on a heater though. What kind of system is that? I'm really curious, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RevKrule posted:

I'm having an issue recently where 2 or 3 (of a 5 light setup) don't want to respond to the Hue bridge all the time. Like I'll tell them to turn on and they won't but if I issue the same command immediately after, they'll listen. So it's not like they can't talk. I've power cycled the lights and the bridge and it never fixes the problem. I know I'm not overloading the bridge because it's only 5 lights on it and I believe the recommended max is close to 20.

Has anyone else ever had this problem or have solutions?

Mine has been doing it recently too, when issuing commands through Alexa on my Dot. Issue the command through Siri on my iPhone and the lights turn on loving INSTANTLY. I think it's an Alexa/Hue integration issue.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You'd need to wire the fan lights to a separate (smart) switch, and get a (smart) fan controller. Some fans allow the lights to be separately switched, some don't.

I just got a GE Zwave fan controller (~$50), and while it pairs to smartthings and shows up properly, and will turn the fan on if you press the button, I can't get smartthings to turn it on or off. :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The first time I installed a custom Smartthings automation, and had to copy/paste code from github was when I realized that home automation isn't QUITE ready for the mass market, yet...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DaveSauce posted:

:hfive: unnecessary Hue crew

Hue is a choice.

Hue is life.

:hfive:

Edit: I’m impatiently awaiting the new 4K hue TV thingie. I really want that functionality, but balked when I read about the picture quality impact of the old device. Step it the gently caress up, Philips.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

smoobles posted:

Can you reassign a device in SmartThings? Gotta replace an outdoor switch, but I don't want to redo all my automation settings.

Depends on the device. When I migrated from ST to HA, I had to outright replace two GE ZWave dimmers that wouldn’t de-pair from ST for love or money. The rest of them all had varying de-pair procedures, despite being the same model, from the same manufacturer. (Different batch numbers from different subcontractors.)

It’s doubly annoying since my master bathroom light fixture dimmed fine on the old dimmer, but the new one is apparently incapable of dimming an LED, which is inexcusable in 2022.

Home automation is still a hodgepodge of bullshit.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hue is probably the slickest, most featured system, but also $$$$. It was the only option when I was in an apartment last, so it’s what I went with. All of those bulbs/LED strips are still kicking (and working flawlessly,) even 6+ years later. I can’t say the same for the SmartThings stuff I put in the house when I bought it. Getting that stuff to work with HA when I moved away from SmartThings was a nightmare.

For an apartment situation, I think sticking with the “works with Alexa” type stuff is gonna be your best bet, maybe with Hue mixed in where you want to do colors.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sadly no. Florida is run by turbo chuds and despite having nearly as much sunshine as loving Mercury we have zero incentives, and governor If-it-worked-for-Trump-I’ll-just-crank-that-dial-to-eleven-please-make-me-President is poised to sign a bill that will effectively end net metering here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So the mechanical timer for my pool pump gave up the ghost.

:science:

Solid recommend for this thing. Super well-built, and easy to wire.

:hai:

Anyone have any blueprints for timers? Even a “shut off after xx minutes” would be an improvement. Ideally, the ability to turn it on for an hour or two at a time twice a day. HA isn’t the most friendly thing in the world for non-programmers like myself, and the blueprints forum is uhhh. Not indexed at all.