Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Dbhjed posted:

Here is the catch, Smart Bulbs need power all the time, but if they are connected to a smart switch they will have the power taken away when the smart switch is off, so the only way to control them in to turn the switch on, then change the color, doing this with automation sometimes results in the light missing the command since it isn't on yet.

How the hell is there not an Ethernet-over-Powerline standard to allow smart switches to control smart bulbs?

Also, is this that's been linked a lot recently actually a good deal, or is this one of those "it's never actually sold at the full retail price" kind of 'discounts'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

DaveSauce posted:

The internet tells me this is the way to go:

https://paulwieland.github.io/ratgdo/

I haven't gone down that route yet since it's really not all that important to me, but might. It's way cheaper.

I'm using a Shelly 1 for the job. Very easy to set up, and it can run fully local without any cloud dependency. It has both a dry-contact relay to trigger the opener in the same way the garage door opener button on the wall does; and switch inputs that can be wired to a hall effect sensor to detect the door's open/close state and do edge-triggering on open or on close.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 25, 2023

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
If it's a night vision camera, get used to it. Spiders are attracted to the infrared light and will constantly be building webs there.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Nothing stops you from running those in a separate docker container alongside Home Assistant. The only "exceptionally limiting" thing is that you can't just one-click install from within Home Assistant. Your Amquest2mqtt example, for instance, has docker instructions as the recommended way of running it in its README. I've been running a containerized zigbee2mqtt alongside my Home Assistant container for years now and I've never come up against any "exceptional limits"; nor any unexceptional limits for that matter.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Motronic posted:

Yes. this is clearly the way to do things, I don't know what I was thinking running the distribution in a virtual machine and having everything just work as designed with a singe place to administer it and one built in backup/restore routine.

Run it however you like, but if you want to be snippy about it I'll point out that the author of Amquest2mqtt explicitly says he doesn't provide support for the Home Assistant AddOn, so running it "as designed" is to run it as a separate docker container; and also that we wouldn't be having this discussion if you hadn't incorrectly claimed that containerized Home Assistant has "exceptional limits".

Certainly there are pros and cons of running it in its own VM versus containerized; and if I was going to set up a HA instance for someone who's non-technical, I'd use HA OS (but that's pretty marginal because I think you need to be somewhat technically-inclined to be expected to manage an HA instance at all); but if you're someone that perhaps has an existing home lab where the container is a more appropriate choice, then the containerized version is just fine and can do everything you might want it to do without "exceptional limits".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I actually got around installing the Meross garage opener yesterday and it’s great. No issues on setup and HomeKit integration worked without issue.

I bought an additional door opener remote and soldered a Shelly across the button contacts on the remote's board, and put a hall effect sensor on the door to detect open/close state. Works far better than MyQ ever did.