Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

hogofwar posted:

Any good smart bulbs that are actually bright? Got some 1100 lumen Philips hue and quite disappointed at how dark they still are. Though this is a recurring problem for most lights for me.

Maybe I'll end up getting one of those massive LED cobs.

After a certain point, you're better off making something else in the chain smart instead so you can run brighter regular LED bulbs, otherwise you'll have to run multiple smart bulbs and have them sync states.

Really depends on your lightning needs and layout if a very bright light in one spot is what you want, or multiple less bright lights around the room is better.

In my living room I have multiple high lumen bulbs in a floor lamp that is plugged into a zwave dimmer because that lighting setup is fine for what we do in there. In my upstairs office, I have multiple smart bulbs in multiple places to more evenly light up the room and reduce shadows because that's preferable for when I'm working on stuff in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
When I changed my router setup to a whole Omada thing, my plan was originally going to be to run a separate IoT wifi network to keep all my Home Automation and related poo poo on and migrate stuff over.

I have like 100+ wifi HA related devices that I needed to move over. After having to manually change about 10 devices to be on the new network, I gave up, and just made an additional wifi network that was the same SSID and password as before, and then just changed the devices that I didn't want to be on that old network (because everything used to be on it) to be on a third wifi network because there were way less of those.

So now I have two wifi networks dedicated to Home Automation stuff, with most of the old stuff being on the network with the old SSID, and anything new going on the new IoT wifi network.

Moral of the story: plan ahead before you get way too loving deep in.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm buying a house that hasn't been updated since the 1970s. Is there a good starting place to read up on potential upgrades and current systems, whats worth installing and what isnt, etc?? I'm not sure how current the various articles I'm finding are and this seems like a swiftly moving area.

I'm android / Google generally not Apple to the extent that might matter.

The first thing to do is see how the house is wired. If it isn't wired up with a neutral wire (given the age, it probably isn't), and you want to use smart switches/outlets, you will have to use ones specifically made to not require a neutral wire.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Good to know, thanks. It'll probably be a bit before I'm back in thebplace with contractors tho. I am planning a bunch of renovations anyway -- is that the sort of thing that could be added or would be worth adding? Some of the other threads were recommending adding conduit as a first move.

For an electrician, adding a neutral wire is easy, with the only caveat being that they have to get in your walls to do it.

So if they're already got your walls open to do electrical stuff, then there you go.