Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Does Hue even do smart switches? I have a couple of rooms that could use a switch over smart bulbs and i don't know what to look for in that department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Have any thoughts about the zen vs ecobee?

I don't know about the zen but I love my ecobee. I've had mine for close to a year and it's been awesome. I have the daily routines pretty much tailored to my daily goings so it's entirely hands-off at this point and the room sensors pick up when I'm off schedule (at home during "away" hours) and make the necessary adjustments. It's definitely saved me money in the "oops I forgot to turn the heat off before work" department.

Honestly as I get more into home automation the more I move towards having to control less. With my Hue lights I have a morning routine to turn things on (which then turn off when I leave) and a routine for when I get back which turns off when I go to bed.

I just love when poo poo just works without me having to do anything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FYI ecobee pushed out a new firmware update in the last week or so. The room sensors are now individual accessories on homekit and can be used as motion sensors to triggers scenes / turn on-off lights and other poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I bought a couple more Hue stuff today including a light strip. I was debating where I wanted to use it and ended up doing a portion of my bed platform. Looks really drat nice but now I need to buy some extensions to the rest. It's going to be loving awesome once I finish it up.

I need an additional pair of flood lights for the hallway, 2 bulbs for my office and that should cover what I can use Hue on. The rest would require me changing the fixtures for something more Hue friendly or would need to go another route (light switches, probably elgato or lutron). Or go for a poo poo ton more light strips but gently caress me those are expensive.

That said, the one thing I really, really, really want to see is HomeKit for MacOS. The fact I can't use my iMac to act as my hub or manage / set up automation is loving ridiculous. (also I'm bitter they got rid of automation for the 3rd gen apple tv)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ecobee is cool and good. That said I've never found a concrete answer: what's the delay on the motion sensors to give out a clear/unoccupied reading?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you're planning to use Hue bulbs the the switches are kinda redundant. But yeah each system generally uses its own bridge.

I'm almost done with my Hue upgrades. The remaining non-Hue lights are 2 fans and 1 chandelier which I'll have to go for smart switches to control (because :lol: HomeKit fans are expensive and silly)

Closets and laundry room I just opted for motion sensor switches with poo poo off timers, no need to get fancy for those rooms.

The only fun thing I've done is swap the night lamp on my night stand for light strips on the bed. I think they look sweet and I have them to turn on (after sunset) once my ecobee senses I'm in the room

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

(Hue) So do I need a separate app to do color / music synching for the color lights?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got an email from ecobee that it now works with KEEN Home smart vents which look kinda nice. Has anyone tried anything like this?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fading lights would be awesome. Choosing motion sensor triggers would also be nice (to turn off lights when a room switches to unoccupied).

Oh and temperature control on lights cmon that's basic poo poo, Apple. It's kinda annoying I have to use a separate app to tweak the finer settings of a scene. And speaking of scenes, better scene management because unless I'm missing something obvious you actually can't see all the scenes you have on the home app itself.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 3, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It's not the best control in the world, but have you long-pressed the icon for a bulb?

Right that let's me slide the lights to dim/brighten them. I'm talking about the temperature warmth (specifically for the Hue white ambiance bulbs). The Hue app lets me control them there and I use the Elgato Eve app to change the temperature on each scene but Homekit itself doesn't have controls for it. It has color controls for the full color bulbs but white ambiance is just not there

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hue is announcing E14 bulbs today :woop:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

By the way Amazon has Hue 3rd gen color bulbs for 20% off ($40) for the next week.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dropped by Best Buy and noticed the 3rd gen Hue BR30's are out. They changed the from factor a bit and the box now has the "richer colors" sticker the 3rd gen A19's have.

I was one BR30 from finishing my condo and now the new ones :negative: Oh well, should be able to snag the last 2nd gen Flood I need to call it good for now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rick posted:

I thought about getting this because that would basically mean every light in my apartment was smart. But honestly the lights that currently aren't don't need to be so that's probably a bad idea.

I've been putting my older Hue bulbs on the few spots I have no need for them so now so now I can turn on my closet which is really dumb in practice but I have it set to turn on around the time I get ready for work so it mostly works?

Plus all the lights are now geofenced to turn off when I leave so there's that?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Didn’t see it mentioned here yet but Hue is going to be updating their motion sensor, wireless dimmer switch and tap light controller to be HomeKit compatible in October.

So that’s going to be awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hue update for accessories getting HomeKit support is out. It's... ok. The motion sensors work well enough (and they also now track temperature and light). I can't get the dimmer switches to work at all. I can configure them and I can see on the home all they're triggering but they don't actually do anything. Not like it matters as setting it up through HomeKit dumbs it the hell down. Single clicks on all 4 buttons and that's it. No dimming capacity or toggling scenes with 1 button. It kinda sucks and I went back to just setting them up with the Hue app.

That said, playing with automations just makes me loving HATE the automation ui on Home. You can't organize by room or by accessory, you can't group or hide. Just a single endlessly growing list. Really loving lovely stuff and basically hopes you just set and forget.

Also this is my monthly reminder that MacOS having no HomeKit support at all to either control or manage is a loving joke.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The gently caress? Home does absolutely support that. Choose any individual light and go to details. There’s a “group with other accessories” there. You can give it a group name and from then on you control the group and not each individual bulb.

Speaking of bulbs I’m happy to see Hue have both white ambiance and color E12 candle bulbs but but come the gently caress on the color ones should not be $50. Having to wait for sales before I buy anymore is killing me, I just want to finish my condo (mostly E12’s now).

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 19, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So between the Echo and Google Home, would either of them be better than the other if all I’m looking for is something to have in the living room (maybe a 2nd one for the bedroom) to control my Hue lights?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Last question can either of them have their trigger changed or are you stuck with Alexa / Ok Google?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also ecobee sensors now have full homekit integration. They’re not great but hey it’s there.

Speaking of ecobee, I was just e-mailed to (maybe) join their pilot program on their upcoming smart switches (Switch+). It’s a smart light switch, temperature/motion/occupancy sensor (that integrates with the thermostat), and also has Alexa voice integration so you can use it for voice control. Sounds pretty good on paper but I’ll have to wait and see just how silly and expensive these things are. And I still need to buy the smart vents at some point but turns out I need to buy a new air conditioning unit so I should probably save for that first.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m hoping to snag some Home Minis tomorrow after dinner but I’m not actually going to wait by a door for it. Don’t think I’ve seen any good BF deals for Hue lights.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Best Buy has mountains of Homes and Minis which is nice. I was worried for a dumb second I wasn’t going to get one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I have my home minis mostly setup. I had some issues with the app refreshing slowly and me messing up leading to accidentally creating two kitchen and living rooms. Took a bit to actually move the lights to the proper room and getting rid of the duplicates but now everything looks good in home control.

Except the minis still see multiple of those rooms so if I try to say turn off kitchen it replies it doesn’t know which kitchen I mean.

I’ve tried rebooting the devices with no luck so anyone know how I can force them to refresh their home data?

EDIT: Unlinking Hue and a Factory Reset of the Minis didn't help either. So this is off to a lovely start

EDIT: This is starting to annoy me and is just showing yet another aspect I loving HATE: Apple and Google forcing to manage this poo poo entirely through a phone or tablet. Let me use a loving computer to set and manage this poo poo, it'd be a million times easier and not as clunky. I had to reset to creating two new rooms because "Kitchen" and "Living Room" have a hidden ghost duplicate that prevents me from using any commands tied to either of those rooms. There doesn't appear a way to reset your Home Control data on google and unlinking/resetting stuff doesn't actually get rid of the data so I'm hosed for now until this decides to update itself.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 24, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not entirely automation related but if I can somehow figure out how to sync my work exchange calendar to google so I can get those heads up through the Home in the morning, it'd be perfect.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Three Olives posted:

There is a workaround on Mac where you sync your exchange calendar with iCal and then iCal automatically syncs that with your Google Calender. If you aren't using a Mac I assume there is some similar workaround with Windows.

Is there a quick dumb guide for this? I do have a Mac.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hue bulbs are 40-50% off on Best Buy for cyber Monday. (You need to be logged in to My Best Buy).

A19’s white and color

BR30’s white and color

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think so. Speaking of Home, I found a little utility/add-on to Outlook that lets me sync my calendar to a Google Calendar so now my Home can check up and let me know about work events in the morning which is like the last thing I wanted it to do. There are still some quirks to it that Homekit does better and I may need to dick around renaming things since how it uses voice commands as triggers is weird at time but so far I’m happy with the purchase.

One example, I have two lights in my entrance hallway (named entrance hallway and office hallway) and then I have my office lights (office light / desk lamp). If I tell Siri to turn on the office, the office lights turn on. If I tell google to turn on the office lights (you can’t just say office, you need to specify lights), it turns on the office AND the office hallway light. So it seems to prioritize light names over room themselves which is forcing to rename poo poo.

Also the current shortcuts are severely simple (if I say this, do this one thing) so they don’t work very well if you want to automate / do more with one voice command. Not saying that Homekit is much better but at least I can trigger multiple lights/room/scenes so I use Homekit for all my automation still. The last thing I would love to figure out is how to control only the lights that are on and how to establish light colors based on time. Hue Lab lets you do some funky stuff but I have yet to see any tool to really power play with automation and scene management.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Today for no particular reason and with me having not changed or messed with anything, all my hue bulbs no longer get a response on homekit/Siri. They still work through the app and google home but apple’s end just died apparently. I restarted my hub (TV) but that didn’t do anything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everything is back to normal again. Guess HomeKit was just not feeling it yesterday.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

I don’t understand why anyone would need multiple sensors if you’ve only got one HVAC unit. You’re not getting more granular control without active dampers.

Ecobee works with smart vents!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hue has basic whites which are super cheap but those just dim. No temperature. Honestly if you’re going hue just set a slickdeal alert for them and wait for sales. My entire condo is now all Hue and I’ve yet to pay full retail for any of them. All I could really go for now is the color E12’s but I haven’t seen those on sale yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You want ecobee. You can buy additional occupancy sensors for each room that track temperature and occupancy and use those to set temperature controls (like at night my ecobee only looks at the bedroom temperature, etc).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TraderStav posted:

This thread has recommended the ecobee3 over the nest in the past. I see now there's an ecobee4, does the recommendation still stand for the new version?

The only addition on the 4 is native Amazon Alexa support which may or may not work very well. The ecobee 3 is outstanding, at least for me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

smackfu posted:

Speaking of... I bought one adjustable color temp bulb and I don’t really see the point. When do people want bluer light?

In the mornings is when I’ll have them on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For the other 2 idiots that probable still want a HomePod. Pre-orders are going up this Friday. release date is Feb. 9.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hire a barista.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure my bougie af friends have one. They also have Savannah cats and are looking at vacation property in Arizona.

Hello get your friends an account and tell them to post the savannah cats on the cat thread.

Also $3k for a bean to cup sounds insane and something I’d probably buy if it was half off and actually good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man hue bulbs on sale at Amazon for Prime Day but they're being idiots about it. The prime day discount only applies to one bulb if you try to build multiples in one order. However, you can just do separate individual orders and get a discount on each bulb.

On the plus side I just found out Amazon actually has a notice if you try to play a duplicate order.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

What does a Canadian sound like?

Rudely polite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of robot vacuums, I’m looking at couple now. The article posted last page recommends the Eufy Robovac 30 which is on sale (20% off) for $214.98. The other one recommended on the thread is the Deebot N79S which is also on sale and has a digital couple so it comes down to $199. Looks like they’re both pretty close in performance so it comes down to the extra feature on the Deebot (wifi/app control) vs the Robovac 30 (quieter, the recommended option on the article, no wifi/app control). Both seems to run on batteries and have charging stations. The Robovac also includes boundary strips you can place to wall off certain areas/rooms. I don’t think I’ll need that but looks like a nice feature to have.