Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I work in the home security, home automation industry. Specifically for one of the big players. Feel free to ask me any general questions if you're curious. I'm mostly familiar with Z-Wave.

You may knock the subscription services, but it ensures that the company will stick around and continue to deliver new features/products. Look at all of the smaller players going out of business. Unless you have a massive backing, you aren't going to make money.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Foe Hammer posted:

I forgot to mention, if someone truly wants to break in all they have to do is buy one of these.

http://www.twowill.com/productshow....rs-Working-Time

that will jam your alarm system from dialing out via cell phone, cut your phone and internet to block those, break in then cut your siren and they are home free to do what they want.

Cell phone jammers are ILLEGAL but not hard to get, I've also seen internet instructions on how to make them out of a battery, an old cell phone, wireless router & a radio.

So what is the best home security protection? a sign out front of your house and on your doors that say you have an alarm system. lol most criminals are dumb and won't bother with alarmed houses,

The ones that know how to use jammers and what not are robbing richer people. the truly rich though have dedicated alarm system channels so if their signal is interrupted by say a cell jammer or someone cutting the line it is the equivalent to tripping the system.

I'm a CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) and I'm studying for my CEPT or Certified Expert Penetration Tester (yes I know Expert Penetration Tester....) but I get to break into places for my job as we have to hack in via the net or we will attempt to hack or bypass their Access systems (fancy name for door locks & cameras) and plant a sniffer or other back door methods.

What do you do if the cell radio is LTE?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

BigFactory posted:

Positively IDing a stranger from webcam footage is next to impossible.

Depends there, though. If it's an indoor cam and you're shooting at 1080p with local storage it's easy enough.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Hi Jinx posted:

First of all, apologies if this is the wrong thread.

I'm not interested in home security so much as home automation: primarily lighting and HVAC control; A/V is a nice plus.

I have a house wired mostly for Crestron. I've fired the people who've been dicking around with it for the better part of a year, and I'm about to get, well, something else in place.

I have a lot of Crestron light switches in place, Crestron thermostats, and a Crestron-controlled home theater, it just doesn't really work. I'm primarily concerned about the light switches. Contractors tell me that if I go with a non-Crestron system I'll have to have them all replaced, which sounds silly to me.

I'd love to put in a new system that's:

1) Future-proof (expandable, based on open standards instead of proprietary junk)

2) Somewhat DIY-friendly (I'm a lapsed software engineer, I have no interest in building the thing from the ground up but would like to be able to make small changes later)

3) Can work with a range of hardware, especially those silly Crestron switches that would be expensive to replace

4) Can handle lighting, HVAC, maybe AV, and maybe home security

5) Has a good dealer/support network, community-based is OK too

I know I'm not going to find all five in one place, but is there something out there that satisfies three of these points?

Not if you want to keep your Crestron stuff. There's no way to future proof right now because there is no clear winner. In terms of total devices installed out there, you want Z-Wave. That's what most monitored systems use.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Hi Jinx posted:

Thanks! And is Z-Wave what you'd recommend over Control 4 and others if the only factors were DIY, support, and (obviously, even though I left this off the list) product quality?

I'm very biased toward Z-Wave. I dont have much experience with Zigby, and WiFi isnt at the point yet where I could say go with that. Homekit and Weave are giant question marks, so nobody really knows how those will turn out. Z-Wave is your only legit option if you want it to be compatible with security systems down the line. The only downside with Z-Wave is the lack of multi-media capabilities.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

The Electronaut posted:

Munkaboo: do you have a preferred controller and security system?

I currently have two Schlage Connect (Zwave) locks.

I'm trying to find a security system that has partition support as I have a separate building in addition to my house. With that, I'd like to be able to arm/disarm/check status the security system through the home automation. For automation, I'm trying to avoid any solution that requires me to use a "cloud" platform to use a mobile app and have no problem VPN'ing back home.

Well any security system will always use a 'cloud' based automation approach. What's the hesitancy toward it? Is it downtime/uptime?

Alarm.com supports the NX and Concord panels, both of which have partition support and have Z-Wave with their modules.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Next-Gen posted:

The lynx and 2gig panels both do local z-wave I believe. I have the lynx as a secondary controller and don't even have the remote services for automation enabled on it, still does scenes and schedules fine.

Ah interesting setup. Do you subscribe to a security system? If so, which dealer?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Any of you guys use alarm.com based systems?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

The Electronaut posted:

Yes. What's your question?

None :) I worked for them for years and want to know how you like it. I can answer any deeper questions.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Kalman posted:

Generally like it (Frontpoint using the alarm.com backend), work out loving HomeKit integration already, and IFTTT support should have been in years ago.

IFTTT demand wasn't really there TBH. Homekit... Blame apple.

Dealers are simple people, 99.9% would tell you IFTTT is either a typo or an STD.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 3, 2017