Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

MasterOSkillio posted:

HI everyone, I have a question, and I am not sure if this is the right place for it, so if I need to switch up the post please let me know. My Dad contacted me the other day about my grandmother’s house and an issue with thermostats. Apparently, the heat there is all electric and there’s a crazy total of 8 old mechanical thermostats in 8 different rooms. This isn’t a big house, there aren’t a lot of rooms, just two floors, two bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, a dining room, and two bathrooms. For some reason in the 70s when they built the house, they did electric heat, and it was common to install a thermostat in every room with the electric heat.

Either way he was looking to install a thermostat that could control all the rooms remotely via a phone, I have had good results with a Nest in the past, but electrical heat is a high voltage system (120v/240v) to the current thermostats, not a 12 volt like the Nest would use to connect to a gas or oil heat furnace and even then I am not sure how I could get it to control 8 separate rooms with electric baseboard heaters from a phone. Is there a way I can do this or a better option specifically for homes with electric heat?? Even if I have to get 8 separate thermostats could I get something like a RC840T-240? Or what type of other gadget do I need?

Okay, old post I'm responding to, but no one else has - I went through this last year.

The answer is that you need to use something like mysa which is a high voltage thermostat. And yes, you need to do a 1:1 swap of all your existing thermostats. (I used Mysa, and would recommend it - it does groups of thermostats)

With baseboard heating there is no central source of heat (ie a furnace), it's all localized to the room/space, hence why so many.

If you're existing thermostats are ancient with mercury switches in them, I'd highly recommend replacing them with new digital (not even mysa) ones which are a lot lot more accurate and not just on/off, but will do off/low/med/high. Also note some cheap thermostats dont even have an off setting but only have a low level of like 40f/5c!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

I've got a couple of https://www.lifx.com/ bulbs - wifi based (2.4g) and when turned off/on via light switch, they return to previous settings (color/brightness). When turned on, wifi takes ~15s to connect properly before I can shout commands for it to my google mini.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Hed posted:

I really like this for electric baseboard heat.

https://shop-us.getmysa.com/products/mysa-baseboard

I have these and they're very nice and easy to use and you can group them too since you have more than one usually.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

He needs to know if he has to stop and get some alcohol on the way home.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Kalman posted:

Make a separate shared Google account and let it access that calendar?

(E: and then share that calendar to your two individual accounts so you can see it/put events on it.)

Yeah, this - create a household Gmail account and share calendars from that. Also very handy for those common items.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Simple answer: Put a piece of board (eg 2x4) in the well leaning on the wall, or a small shelf/step so animals can use that to get out.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

I've got the ecobee 3 lite with a couple of external sensors. I'd recommend it.

IIRC, The non-lite features were things like Alexia microphone and stuff. I just wanted base thermostat with internet control and no subscription fees, and it works very well for that.

FYI, external temp sensors work by the thermostat averaging the temps across the active sensors and taking that as your house temp instead of just the one room it's mounted on - if it works for you, great, but assume it won't - as it doesn't fix the problem of a room with bad venting issues. Also the 'room occupied' sensor kinda fails when you're asleep and not moving. But as DaveSauce mentioned, it's nice to know sometimes. And they don't show up in the online graphs unfortunately.

Sometimes nice to download graphs like this so you know how it's working.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

priznat posted:

Oh that is neat. So it's just current sense clamps on all the circuits? very cool.

It would be nice if panels started having the facility to have this a little more built in!

Those panels exist (span.io, squareD, etc) - they also cost a fortune. Like $3000 vs $300, and then might also use custom circuit breakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Scruff McGruff posted:

The Ecobee3 Lite is a frequent recommendation in HomeAssistant circles. My parents have one and it seems to work great for them and can easily integrate into basically all the smart home systems.

I have both ecobee and mysa units - both are good and do what you want with remote app control without monthly fees. I recommend either.

mysa is for full 120v systems like baseboard heaters, so if you have multiple rooms, you probably need multiple thermostats. Ecobee is for a more normal 24v furnace setups.