Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
To secure my tiny apartment, I'm using a camera with PIR sensor (reliable movement detection unlike image analysis): Vivotek IP8133W, after having a lot of problems with a lovely D-Link one.
Upon detection, it sends me 3 pics of the event by email, and stores a high quality video on my NAS.
It also does not constantly use bandwidth unlike dropcams (seriously, how is that even a thing, 150 gigs a month per camera, really ?)
The NAS is synced in real time to cloud storage (free), in case whoever broke in would decides to steal it...
It's not perfect (strong sun shining directly on the Pir sensor sometimes triggers it, as do spiders / insects getting in front of it, but this happens maybe twice per year or so).
I had the output of the camera hooked to a relay to switch a lamp on whenever something happened, but it was not very discreet, and a PIR switch for the main ceiling lamp turned out to be much easier and brighter.
I can remontely log into the camera to see what's going on if needed too, which is never.

At my parent's house, I setup a https://ninjablocks.com/ system with several PIR sensors and magnetics switches + 2 cams and it's really nice too, but much more complex to setup.
They can however remotely empty the rainwater tank if it gets too full, and control the heating system so it's not cold when they come back from holidays for example.

gently caress subscription-based services...

edit: some details about the lovely D-Link cam. It had an infrared light (Vivotek mentioned above has a white one) that automatically switches on when it gets dark. Nice, right ? Well no, since it was on even if the PIR sensor was not triggered and was getting uncomfortably hot, and also would, every time it switched on or off, trigger the PIR sensor, sending me an alarm about a potential break-in...

Spatule fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU