Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

Are the dome versions just as good? I think I'd rather have domes, aesthetically speaking, unless they have major drawbacks. Unfortunately, Amazon.ca prices are way higher than USA, 190CAD or so, but I think I'll troll around aliexpress for a decent seller.

In my experience, the domes with the IR LEDs inside tend to have an annoying "halo" when in nightvision mode from the IR light reflecting back off the dome, and any dust that collects on the outside of the dome gets lit up by the IR light at night, washing out the picture.

I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2332 and a Dahua 4300c, and they both work great day and night. Most of the negative reviews on Amazon are from people buying from third party sellers and getting ones with Chinese firmwares.
I got all of my IP cameras from Amazon Warehouse Deals, and a couple ended up being in Chinese. I was able to configure them using Chrome's built in translate feature.
Grey market cameras from Hikvision and Dahua seem to work fine, but you will not have a warranty, and from what I've read, you may brick your camera if you try to update the firmware.

Also, I wouldn't trust connecting any grey market or no-name cameras directly to the internet. These cameras contain full web servers that probably aren't getting updates, and are likely to have unpatched vulnerabilities susceptible to outside attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU