Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

blugu64 posted:

Looking for recommendations on a smart plug that can handle 15amp 120v. Preferably smartthings compatible and zwave/zwave plus.

I'm doing a dumb thing and buying a coffee maker that I don't have to worry about breaking...but since it's a commercial machine it doesn't have an on/off switch, so I'm going to turn it on/off on a schedule in the mornings.

Here's the specs

Zooz ZEN15

I haven't compared the machine you listed to the ZEN15's specs, but I run my washing machine through it so I suspect it's fine (I use the power monitoring to determine whether the washing machine has finished and send an alert if so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

calandryll posted:

I installed the Shelly 1 on my fireplace. Works perfectly. Now on to other projects to automate in the house.

Recommendations on LED strips? We have a projector and screen in our basement and wouldn't mind putting up some lighting in the back for ambiance.

superbrightleds.com is having a holiday sale

Hubis fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 9, 2020

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Gyshall posted:

I use an Android phone and my wife uses Apple. Right now I have some small smart stuff (mainly hue, nest and alexa) but in my new house I'm planning on automating more stuff.

What's the recommended approach here for automation/iot glue? I'm buying new and get to run cat 6 everywhere I need to.

Z-Wave or Zigbee backbone, with a hub in a fairly centralized location to minimize maximum mesh-to-hub latency.

If you are feeling like running new Cat6 and are also of a certain... *ahem* "persuasion"... consider going for a few Unifi wireless access points and finding good placement positions. This will give you the option to also include WiFi-based stuff without necessarily flooding your network with additional traffic (since more lower-power access points means less high-power broadcasts, etc).

e: And get a NUC to run Home Assistant on. HA now has a native app for android and iOS, as well as the traditional browser-based interface.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

General_Failure posted:

My Google Home minis last night started telling me the device isn't configured when I try to control the lights. They work fine through the home app. Am I the only one?

Apparently this is A Thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/lb6ahl/post_your_comments_here_on_the_device_not_yet_set/