Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone heard of this new Nucleus intercom system thing? https://www.nucleuslife.com

I'm looking to put a whole house intercom in, and at first I was thinking of This Whole house system but I'm not sure if it'd be better to do video or not.

Both use PoE for power, but I think the Nucleus is wifi only, so I'm not sure if running Cat5 from a PoE switch is worth it if its not going to even use it for networking.

I guess I'm just asking if anyone has any experience with whole house Intercom systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Pitre posted:

Best bang for your buck:

https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2042WD-I-Network-English-Security/dp/B015U3Q9NI

I've installed 5 of these and they are all fantastic day and night.

Hey Pitre, what size is the base of this camera? I'm building a house and am wondering if I should put some electrical boxes in the wall where I plan to have cabling run for cameras.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hmm I wonder if I could cut it off. Thanks dude, that helps.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Well the box is more there so I can know where I terminated the cable.

Also because I want to wire for 6 cameras but only want to start with 2, so the idea was to terminate to a box I could put a cover on until I was ready to install the camera.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Nest requires a c wire as well, all smart thermostats will, as that provides the power to the unit. If your HVAC is less than 20 years old you should have a c wire.

I like the Nests, but I have the protects too, and they act like nest sensors. The Ecobee has one remote sensor, but it's battery powered, which I don't like. I've heard the Ecobee has a better integration with stuff, but for me the Nest is the more aesthetic choice.