Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

I know too many people who have had various iterations of the Nest over the years, and most of them have had moderate to severe issues with reliability. So I'm looking at other brands.

I've had the same gen 1 Nest thermostat for going on 10 years now. I moved it to the house I live in now 5 years ago. Never a single problem with either location. I don't know if they had issues with the newer generations or something? The best feature ever is scheduled fan run times. I vent the house for 15 minutes every hour just to circulate the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Just chiming in to mention my experience with Arlo cameras. I run a Blue Iris setup with a ton of different ONIV IP cameras around my property. My neighbor wanted some cameras and I'll be damned if I want to get myself into supporting something like that for her. I researched the top dogs in the battery powered camera world and decided to recommend to her Arlo.

I did the install for her and we went with four of the Essential Spotlight outdoor version with addon solar panel. I had already installed a nice mesh WiFi system for her years ago so he has good coverage around the perimeter of her house. The install and adding the cameras to her account insanely simple. ~$12/mo for the service for unlimited cameras and it seems to work really well. My next house when I move in a few years I may not even bother with Blue Iris and IP cameras that require electrical outlets or PoE again...