Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I see a lot of recommendations for dahua cameras as a budget alternative, it seems like these will fit my needs?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32956487923.html

I'll jump in and tell you to NOT buy any Dahua cameras off eBay/AliExpress. They'll have hacked Chinese-version firmware, and you'll never be able to update them. There's a great forum over at IPCamTalk, and a vendor named EmpireTech Andy. He sells the cameras on Amazon, and they've got international (not Chinese) firmware. He's been good to me, and supports the cameras better than anyone else selling Dahua. The Starlight cameras are awesome, and I highly recommend them.

Also, if you've made any progress, please let me know. I just rented a shop for my business, and need to get some security cameras/sensors installed. Ditto at my house, now that I'm not going to be there 24/7.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm looking for a basic security system to cover my workshop. There are existing magnetic sensors on the doors, and 2x motion sensors already installed. These are from an old Paradox security system that was installed in the building by a previous tenant. The system has been cut apart, because the building has been divided into 3 units. Regardless, the sensors are all there, along with accessible wiring.

I'd like to add 2-3 cameras, and some sort of alarm system. I don't need monitoring, and I don't think I need it to call the police. I'd rather it just alert me on my phone, since I live 2 minutes away. I've got plenty of experience with PoE cameras, and could do a BlueIris system for the cameras.

Is it worth trying to reuse the existing sensors, or should I just start from scratch? I've been looking at the Ring alarm systems, as well ad Abode. Alternately, I could roll my own, but I don't have the time to burn on something complicated. Thoughts?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the info. Konnected looks like a good option. Reasonably priced, and saves me money on the sensors. I'm not really into roll-my-own ala HomeAssistant, but SmartThings is an option. I've run BlueIris in the past, and it works. Sure, it's not as user-friendly as Nest, but it's much cheaper and doesn't require any monthly fees. I can also have it record clips to "the cloud" if I want (dropbox or Google drive or whatever).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Konnected and Hubitat ordered. This should be fun. The local control from the Hubitat won me over, while removing the headaches of HA.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Dahua starlight cameras and Blue Iris. The software is $50 on ipcamtalk, and the developer is very active there. He's a bit snarky, but if you actually read the FAQ/setup guide and have a question, he'll answer.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Ring? $10/month or $100/year monitoring with cell backup. Systems aren't crazy expensive. Their cameras aren't great though, I run blue Iris and a bunch of Dahua cameras separately.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm not much a fan of glass break sensors, but I think you can add that via Alexa Guard. I figure the motion sensors will catch things more reliably than glass break.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I had a motion sensor trigger at 1AM on my Ring a few weeks ago. Professional monitoring called me, I gave my code, and I checked it out. Nothing better or worse than ADT, and 1/4 the price. The app works great, the hardware seems solid, and it's cheap as chips for 24/7 monitoring and cell backup. I've got a Yale Zwave lock that it can control, just haven't installed it yet. I don't understand why ADT is still in business.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
And "aggressive customer retention policies"

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

Crossposting from the NAS thread:

Can someone recommend some good home surveillance cameras that can write to my synology nas via Surveillance Station?

I'd like:

1. Night vision (it will be pointed out of our living room window that looks onto the entrance to our house).
2. PoE ethernet is preferable, but wifi and mains powered is fine too.
3. Not-chinese, I.e. not full of vulnerabilities and spyware, I.e. not Hikvision.
4. Works with Synology NASes. (I am aware of the compatibility web page that Synology hosts, there's far too many cameras listed to google each and every one of them to see if they tick all my other boxes).
5. Available in the UK.

1. Either put in an external IR illuminator and a non-illuminated camera outside, or run a Starlight camera. If it's really dark, even a Starlight won't be great. Being behind a window basically blocks the IR, so no normal "night vision" camera will work. The Starlight sensors are great, and can give a good picture even with very little light. Don't bother with the high-res (4K) versions, the 2MP ones are fine, especially for close range stuff.
2. Everything worth owning is PoE. WiFi cameras can easily be jammed or de-authed. PoE all the way.
3. Good loving luck. They're basically all Chinese chipsets with God-knows-what firmware. Stick the cameras on their own VLAN (or actual LAN if you're not a networking person), and never let them see the internet. Again, Don't put your cameras online. At best, they get compromised and someone gets to watch your door. At worst, they become part of a botnet and launch a DDoS attack or similar, plus attack your home network. Got any other IoT stuff? Do some research about how to secure that too. Relevant: https://xkcd.com/1966/
4. By "Works" do you mean works with the Synology Surveillance station, or just can record to the NAS? Most Dahua cameras can record to a NAS. Synology's licensing strategy is kind of bullshit, you have to pay per camera. If you only need one camera, then it's OK, I guess. I'm a Blue Iris user, and it's really very good software. I run it on a server, but for a single camera, it would run on a SFF or Micro sized $200 desktop. I've then got lots of secure ways of connecting to the server from elsewhere. Remember that your Synology is a serious security risk as well, so think twice about just putting it on the internet behind a password. Use key-based auth (SSH or VPN) or expect it to be compromised. Ditto with a BlueIris server (or anything IMHO).
5. Most of these cameras are rebadged, and the parent camera is usually available on Ali Express/Amazon if you know where to look.

I'd suggest heading over to IPCamTalk and checking some reviews on cameras. Mostly everything can be configured to use ONVIF, which Synology supports. I'm a real fan of Dahua, specifically through Andy (AliExpress, Amazon, or directly). I've purchased over a dozen cameras from him, and haven't had a problem yet. If you buy from anyone else, you'll probably get hacked Chinese firmware which can't be upgraded. If you have specific model or feature questions, post here or over there, and you'll probably get a cogent reply.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 17, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Tapedump posted:

How many people afraid of Dahua/Hikvision/et all dialing home to China give their cameras valid gateway / DNS values?

Honest question: Are they concerned these cameras defy TCP/IP and have hidden Internet access buried in there silicon? Even in the face of wiresharked data showing otherwise?

You show me 60+days of clean Wireshark logs, and I'll show you a camera that'll ping China in 61 days. They ALL have backdoor logins and firmware bugs. Go ahead and put them online, see how that works. This has been verified dozens of times. Maybe Wyze cams with aftermarket firmware, so long as it's maintained. Motronic knows what he's talking about.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Hey man, it's your network, you do you. If you think leaving the DNS and gateway fields unpopulated or populated with addresses that don't resolve is safe enough, then go for it. The Dahua cameras have a search utility that can cross subnets even if the mask isn't opened up, so I'm going to stick with VLAN/separate network. Might as well leave the default user/pass too, since there's a hardcoded backdoor.

https://ipvm.com/reports/dahua-backdoor
https://ipvm.com/reports/axis-critical
https://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/44328 (Hikvision)
https://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/47188 (Amcrest)

network-chat:

At my shop, I've got a 5-port PoE switch (4 PoE and one unpowered port). That's 4 cameras, and a patch cable that goes from the unpowered port to my main switch (on it's own VLAN). The only other thing on that VLAN is the port that goes to one port of my server's 4-port NIC. TBH, I could have just patched the unpowered port to the server directly, but I'm planning more expansion... got a 48-port PoE Switch coming on Thursday. I'm really excited to try out the 10G-over-HDMI stacking port. Dell 55xx series, BTW.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

I've got a couple of PoE Mikrotiks (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YSKPSJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). One in the barn, one upstairs (rack is in the basement). The barn currently doesn't have any ethernet out to it, so it's powering 3 cameras plus a Ubiquiti UAC-AC-PRO set to downlink from one of the same in the house. Been working pretty well. The other little Mikrotik is upstairs to run the cameras I have in the soffits/dormers of the house and is cabled down to the switch in the rack.

Sweet setup. Luckily, all my stuff is at my shop, which is in a commercial steel building and has all the ribs/framing exposed internally. Running cable is stupid easy, just a 100' fishtape and a box of Cat5e.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Wyze firs your budget.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Baconroll posted:

Ring Alarm is finally launching in the UK next month so I'll give it a go. I was surprised the cost of the monitoring is inline with the American pricing (£8 a month or £80/year) so I'll probably opt for that too.

I already have some Z-Wave gear controlled by a Raspberry Pi so I'll be interested in also seeing the states of the Ring sensors e.g. If the alarm goes off turn on all the lights inside and outside the house.

Unless you know a way, I don't think Ring sends the status, and the sensors can only be paired to one device (the Ring base station OR your Pi, not both).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Kill All Cops posted:

What the heck is Z-Wave, and does it work with existing WiFi? Will I need to throw out my Google Home Hub?

It doesn't clog up the WiFi spectrum, which is nice. You'll need a new hub, but it might talk to your Google Home.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

As far as I know: nope. But if you find it let me know. Blue Iris works great, but it's the only windows VM I'm maintaining and would rather not.

Do you have the HW decode working in a VM? I'd love to hear how if you do.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

I didn't even know that was a thing. I know plenty of people have gotten plex hardware acceleration working on an ESX VM using GPU passthrough, so it's probably possible.

I don't have a graphic card worth a poo poo in the ESX server though, so it's pointless unless I do that - and with a couple of Xeons in the thing I don't really have any need.
It's not discrete GPU, its Intel Quick-Sync. It cuts the processing power down by like 60%. All the posts on the BI forums say it's not possible.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 9, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

If I was going to set up Blue Iris again, I'd buy something like an i5-6400 pre-owned system off of ebay. They go for less than $200 and are everything you need for like 10 cameras of average rez/framerate.

If you really pinned down your requirements and calculated exactly what you need you could probalby go with an i5-3450 pre-owned system which go for less than a hundred bucks.

Yeah, I run mine on an i5-6500 HP G2 Tower. $175 on eBay including shipping and had a 256GB SSD boot drive in it. I added a 4-port GBe card and 10TB of storage. Built-in Win10 license, quiet, and very low power.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

Oh yeah, I have about a dozen switches or dimmers deployed, and this is the only one that behaves this way. Turns out that the physical switch doesn’t always turn the current off either, but it does make the relay sound and turn on the off light.

Wonder if it wasn’t quite installed correctly! I’ll take a look later this week.

Or the relay contacts are cooked and stick occasionally.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I'm coming up with nothing for "installation problem" and everything that points to "poo poo is broken".

:lol:
Consumer electronics, it's 50/50.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

Is Hikvision still the IP camera to get?

Dahua

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

Are they the ones you need to look for a specific firmware or something? I have vague recollections of something like that...

Buy them from Andy on IPCamTalk or his Amazon store, he loads legit US firmware on them. He's good for support, too.

I've got a pile of Starlight sensor cameras, and they've been really good. Wide variety of options/prices.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

This doesn't inspire much confidence. :(

The company has no ethics. Neither do Hik.

Never let these see the internet, that should go without saying.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

"No ethics" = "Actively obfuscating backdoors and participating in genocide"

AKA "Chinese security or technology company"

See also: Hauwei, ZTE, Hikvision, Lorex (owner by dahua now), and dozens of others.

Foscam is an option, but I'll bet there are backdoors and security issues with their stuff too. They're Chinese owned, and I don't know of any major audits of their stuff.

The only major player that I know of who isn't in a controversy is Axis Communications. Axis stuff is great, it's just 4x the price, and still shouldn't be on the open internet.

:shrug:

You want it to be 100% ethical? Source your own components, manufacture it however you see fit, and write your own code.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Hah, maybe not that low budget although that looks like a fun project.

That's kinda the only way. Record the IR pattern, replay it on command. If it's a smart remote, then it's sending a complex pattern that completely configures the wall unit each time. I'd suggest recording a couple of common modes and replaying those instead of trying to decipher the encoding scheme.

AC on, 72 degrees, fan auto
AC Off, fan on low
AC on, 78 degrees, fan auto
Heat to 60, fan auto
Heat to 68, fan auto

That sort of poo poo.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I've got two of those that talk to my Ring system. They were easy to pair and just worked. One data point, but it's something.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

DaveSauce posted:

Good to know. It's a bit pricey to replace all my smoke/CO detectors, but it seems like that's the cost I'd have to pay if I want this.

Separate topic, anyone have any opinions on Abode? That's what I'm leaning towards for a security system, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Seems to tick all the boxes.

I use them in a commercial shop. I have full sprinkler coverage, but no detectors. I've got one of these in the office, and one in my lab, in case there's some small fire. They immediately call the FD, as well as alerting me. I live 4 minutes away, so it's cheap insurance.

Abode has a lot more sensor types, but the monitoring is a lot more money ($20/month after the first year). Ring's monitoring is $100/yr, which includes AT&T backup and the monitoring is really quick IMHO. The Ring cameras integrate well if you're using them (I'm not, so w/e). I'm not a fan of keyfob remotes for alarm systems, but Ring doesn't offer one. Ring also doesn't have an outdoor siren, or different contact sensors.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

devicenull posted:

Any recommendations for cameras or software that can do some sort of intelligent motion detection (like recognizing people), that don't send everything to the cloud? It looks like I can cobble something together with various machine learning packages, but I'm not entirely sure I feel like doing that..

I currently have some unifi cameras, but with their whole "you must buy our NVR" thing, I'm not inclined to put them back up after my siding is replaced.

Some of the better Dahua cameras can do it. Don't stick them on the internet, but Blue Iris can receive their triggers (I think).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

No - at least not the fancy new wireless systems you see advertised for DIY install. But all of the traditional wired systems made in the last 15-20 years that I've seen have a GSM/CDMA module available. If this is in the US there's like an 85% chance it's a bog standard DSC system and they absolutely have a cell module.

The new Ring Wired Retrofit is pretty decent, especially if you're already on the Ring system. It'll connect to 8 existing contact sensors/zones.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

Oh interesting. I hadn't seen that one. Smart - plenty of people would be happy to get rid of their legacy interface/systems add a few sensors and keep the old ones.

Yeah, it gets people into the Ring ecosystem and into the monitoring, which is where they're making money. I really like my Ring system at my shop, FWIW.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Rexxed posted:

Careful about letting the cops watch your ring feeds:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...ch/?arc404=true

I doubt a reasonable request even requires a warrant.

Better idea: don't buy Ring cameras. They're overpriced and not very good. BlueIris and Dahua cams on an isolated VLAN will give far better image quality and much better motion detection.

Rapulum_Dei posted:

There’s also this thing https://konnected.io/ which can use your old alarm sensors for home automation and notifications.

I have one, and it was... Ok. I wouldn't trust it for break in detection and alerts, plus there's no easy way to add monitoring which is half the drat point for an alarm. If someone is interested, I'll sell mine for cheap.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
BlueIris is great, but there's no app. I run it at my shop and it's relatively reliable. I check it once a week or so and occasionally a camera has gone offline. It doesn't alert you when this happens. There's also big problems with windows updates loving with the video drivers which cause massive CPU consumption. It's still better than ZoneMinder or other options. If you want to roll your own but want an appliance with apps, you could go Synology and their surveillance station. You gotta buy the NAS, drives, and licenses per camera, but it's an option.

Dahua cameras are the way to go. I bought mine from Andy on IPCamTalk (he also sells on eBay). I'd suggest you read on IPCamTalk about how to setup the system you want

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Tapedump posted:

As said, app exists.

It will absolutely tell you if a can goes offline. Yours I st set to do so.

Drivers are a non-issue if you have an NVR with an Intel CPU with QuickSync (re: basically Sandy Bridge or newer, non-Xeon). Hardware transcoding.

Nvidia/AMD cards have no place in a BI box.
Explain this then:
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/cpu-running-at-100.48987/
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/blue-iris-and-cpu-consumption-as-it-relates-to-memory-usage.5953/
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/cpu-maxing-out-help-diagnosing.50813/
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/blue-iris-suddenly-a-memory-hog-and-at-100-cpu-usage.24009/
And countless other threads with the same problems.
Even with driver updates disabled, Win10 pushed them through, and fucks with the CPU usage. I'm well aware of using QuickSync. I'm running an i5-4xxx with 6 streams, and average 35% CPU usage.

The app setup that I saw requires either a VPN or port forwarding, and had some real problems/bugs over the years. If you're on the same WiFi network, then it's fine, but pushing it out across the net seemed like a bad time. I haven't tried in several years. Maybe I'll give it a shot, I think I still own the Android app unless they changed the ID.

And there's a known bug in BI where certain camera dropouts don't even get flagged. There are also issues where BI just freezes and won't open/record, especially when running as a service. It's not the camera or cameras, it's in BI. I've chatted with their tech support, and they've admitted it's a problem that they can't replicate to fix. :shrugs: I've got overlapping cameras for the areas I care about. I mean, for the money, BI is amazing. It's not something I'd trust for 24/7/365 critical monitoring. I'm fine with a little janitoring, but it's not a polished product. Synology's system is more polished, but $$$ and the per-camera license annoys me.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 11, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Charles posted:

Are there any motion lights that don't stop working after 6 months? Seriously, spent good money on some of them and the sensors always go haywire or the LEDs burn out or something.

Not smart ones, just regular.

I've found that they're hit or miss. I've got 3 around the house that work, but bought the same thing several times to get ones that worked reliably. All are from Home Depot or Lowes, so nothing fancy/expensive. All have the dual brightness feature which we really like. One is an ancient one that takes bulbs but LEDs seem to work, the others have integrated LED panels. The key thing I found was to keep them dry and I used Silicone grease and the water resistant wire nuts on the connections.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can you send in your army of strapped Roombas?

I just replace the brushes with straight razors. Cut them off at the ankle, I tell you.

My cats aren't a fan.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Binary Badger posted:

So I got a WyzeCam v3; it's basically the v2 with a lot of tweaks, and still a good value for only the $20 I paid.

The resolution is the same as the v2 (1920 * 1080) but the sensor is way way better; it's sensitive enough to detect first magnitude stars if you felt like pointing it at the sky instead of a street or driveway. Video is crisp and clean, nearly perfect in daylight and good color definition even at night.

It now has two sets of IR emitters, for short and long range; great for unlit passageways and entrances.

The v3 is also now an indoor/outdoor camera with IP 65 resistance. Also the USB plug is now a standoff plug, it doesn't plug into the camera body anymore which I find a vastly better arrangement for positioning the cam.

Frame rate is also beefed up somewhat, from 15 fps daytime in the v2 to 20 fps daytime in the v3.

Mounting options included are exactly the same as the v2, two screws with anchors, magnetic plate, etc.

2-way talk is smoother, and they added a siren controlled from the app if you want to give someone a good scare or piss off the wildlife.

Where'd you find one? They seem to be perpetually OOS.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Binary Badger posted:

If you're a subscriber to their CAM plus cloud service, they'll give you first preference whenever they get a batch made.

Wyze is blaming the v3 availability on industry wide raw material shortages.. which is weird because I just read even Ford Motor is scaling down their production of F-150 trucks because they can't get enough chips for their onboard computer-controlled systems?!

Also forgot to mention it's still 2.4 GHz for WiFi only. Some people have complained that they can't get them to hook up with Netgear Orbi mesh systems properly because they force the same name to be used for both 2.4 and 5 GHz. This is fixable by, of all things, telnetting into the Orbi and using some commands to define a separate name for 5 GHz.

Cool. I've just got a Wyze scale, so I'm not on their cloud service. And yeah, parts availability sucks. Some of the ICs I use have a 24-week delivery, even in small quantities. The whole situation is hosed.

2.4GHz is fine by me. No need for 5G congestion.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

How is the scale? Was looking at getting a phone connected scale, that could link with apple health too.

I don't have it connected to anything but the Wyze app, but it's good. Reasonably accurate and repeatable. We had issues getting 2 users set up, but we deleted the profiles and set them back up and now it works. My wife's pregnant, so the "weight only" mode is nice. No clue about Apple health or G-fit integration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Less Fat Luke posted:

Anyone have experience with Ethernet over Coax adapters (specifically PoE)? The place I bought has very old coaxial-cable powered cameras and I have some nicer PoE ones. This converter seems like it should do the trick?

Those look like the pair I bought from Dahua. They're not very good, but they worked ok. I think I have a set still, and I'd send them to you if you're interested. Shoot me an email: username at gmail if you are. I'll go digging through my stuff and find them.

I ended up using much higher-end ones from Interlogix.