Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Munkaboo posted:

Not if you want to keep your Crestron stuff. There's no way to future proof right now because there is no clear winner. In terms of total devices installed out there, you want Z-Wave. That's what most monitored systems use.

Is there a good Z-Wave product / line you can recommend for someone just getting going? I just bought a house and need some security. I'd love to buy a good system that I can tie into home automation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Pitre posted:

I think for both of you above, Z-Wave is a good way to go. Although I've had very little issues with Smartthings service and have no problems recommending it, you may want a fully local controller that does not rely on Internet access at all if security is a priority above convenience and automation. The VeraPlus will be released this month and looks pretty slick. Other Vera products have been good from what I have heard.

The VeraPlus seems to have an internet connection - but it's also fully local, as well?

What would I do after I get it - then I get a Z-Wave compatible home security system and a Z-Wave thermostat/Camera and then connect them all together, and then sign up for a monitoring service?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

is there a good doorbell/camera/security system that records locally? I hate the idea of everything being "in the cloud" - originally just wanted home security but now I'm thinking it'd be nice to tie everything together. I just picked up a Netgear R7000 which has native support for Arlo cameras, but it doesn't seem like Netgear makes much else :(

I also need it to work in low canadian temperatures, so battery powered stuff might not be an option.

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 13, 2016

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

So, I'm looking at some home automation stuff again... it seems like the following are good options:

- Ecobee 3 Thermostat (my Gas supplier is offer a $100 rebate so it's as cheap as a Honeywell Zwave one)
- Smartthings Hub
- Then a bunch of... things?

Beyond the benefits of a more intelligent thermostat, mainly I'm looking to automate a few lights (and change a bunch over to LED) like the entry lights, and set myself up for a near-future DIY home security setup that I can order monitoring for. Is there a good way to integrate an alarm panel and various other sensors? It seems like Smartthings is the best since it'll interface with so many standards... but would I be better off going specifically after Zwave stuff?

And is there a way to ensure it'll all work in case of power failure?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

sellouts posted:

I'm in the middle of a lot of this and you should probably plan out a bit more exactly what you want to make sure it's all covered and that it does it well.

If you're looking at interfacing with a bunch of standards, Indigo Domotics is a piece of software that'll let you use Z-wave, Insteon, X-10 and a bunch of poo poo via plugins like Ecobee, Sonos, Harmony, Philips Hue, etc. I've been really happy with it but it requires a ton of setup. I've wired my switches 2 weeks ago and I'm still programming aspects of them (largely because I'm trying to use the Hue lights due to liking them the most and I went a bit overkill on the 6 and 8 button controllers)

How are you handling the physical switches or are these lights exclusively ones that you don't ever want to control? I chose Insteon for a few reasons, switches and their reliability even with the hub being down being one big reason.

The switches would be zwave or insteon or whatever... not plugs but wall switches, some with dimmers. To start with I'm probably just looking at putting a switch in the master, the office, and the living room... for the sake of being able to turn the lights on + off on a timer or based on events. Maybe a motion/zone based thing for the front door and then something for the back yard. On thermostat side, I just want something that can be controlled automatically/remotely as an energy-saver (our schedules aren't conducive to programmed on/off cycles). And if I have all of that, it seems silly not to have it link into the security system so that everything is talking to everything else. At first I thought "Ecobee and smartthings" because it would capture all of that and be fairly open in terms of options... the security system has thrown a bit of a wrench into things.

The prospect of a new tinkering thing is, uh, very unattractive at this point, haha! Someone recommended the Elk M1 Gold to me so I might look into that... it just sucks that it doesn't seem to integrate with the ecobee3.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

what's the functional difference between something like a Vera Plus and a Smartthings Hub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

i've got a decent little Homeseer system going (linux version running off a raspberry pi).
I want to branch out into building our security system now. I will likely be opting for a DSC panel with an Envisalink module for internet connectivity, and Envisalink has its own monitoring service at $9/month. Wife wants pro monitoring, so we are getting pro monitoring... I'm not a fan of proprietary systems like Ring because, being in Canada, sometimes companies that expanded here end up packing it in and pulling out. DSC could be monitored by anyone, in theory.

Here's my question - is it possible to have zwave devices feed into the DSC panel as sensors/alarms? Zwave is proving to be very good around the house, so for some random sensors I might want to pick up a zwave thing but have it notify authorities if there's an issue. I will try to stick to DSC as much as possible so that future monitoring is easy.

I'm also looking for a good exterior wireless camera solution - is there something that is proven to work in low temperatures? I'm hoping that I can tie power off my exterior porch lights but I suspect I will need a wifi solution.

Edited to add that I'm in Canada

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 24, 2019