Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Right now I have a Jellyfin/Pihole setup on an old Raspberry Pi 3. I want to install HomeAssistant on it but I figure that it would be pushing it.

I also have a 2014 Mac Mini lying around. I’m thinking of making that a Linux box to run Jellyfin, Pihole, and HA. I’m told that the best option to run Linux on it is to just install some sort of Linux distro as a virtual machine, rather than either trying to run it all on macOS or trying to futz with Boot Camp.

That should be fine, right? Like, at least in general, running those apps plus the overhead of a VM isn’t going to tax something as comparatively powerful as an old mini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I finally got Home Assistant working, and am now blindly feeling my way through how editing YAML files works and all that fun stuff.

But first, a dumb question.

I have an LG Washer/Dryer that has optional Wifi stuff, so you can create an account and get the app and get push notifications and poo poo like that. I haven't done that at all, because I don't really NEED that enough to have to feel like it's worth giving them my data and analytics. Is there anything that Home Assistant does magically that means LG won't get my data if I create an account and connect it to Home Assistant, or is it not a magic "your data is now all stored locally!" machine, and they'd still collect and use my data, but they just wouldn't get the app-specific data?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Usually unless the integration specifically said it's local it just means that the data is going to both Home Assistant and LG.

Motronic posted:

More accurately it means the data goes to LG and Home Assistant is scraping it from LGs site. This is an important distinction because it means it's something else that will be broken if your internet connection goes down.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks!

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

OK. So I'm an idiot with computers. Having said that, I have somehow managed to Mr. Magoo myself into setting up a cheap computer that I use as a Pihole/Jellyfin/HomeAssistant computer.

I installed Ubuntu, and was running just HomeAssistant in a Docker Container. Setting up Docker as someone who knows very little about computers was a pain in the rear end, but through a bunch of "just copy-paste this code!", I got it done.

I then realized that HA in container doesn't update automatically, and you have to essentially delete the container and re-add it. Having stumbled my way through this, it seems that despite hearing that deleting the container preserves all settings, it did not so I'll have to reconfigure all my devices and automations.

So my question is:

I don't want to gently caress with docker anymore and have to troubleshoot my docker issues before I even get to the HA parts. Is there A Better Way? I don't care about resource allocation, etc, because nothing on this device is particularly resource intensive, I just want The Idiots way of having all three things running at once.

As I understand, the non-containerized version of HA is an OS, so therefore I cant "just" run everything on Ubuntu, right? I'd have to have HA be the actual os, which may or may not cause issues running jellyfin/pihole on the same server?

(Of note I am aware that this particular problem is "oh you totally did the update wrong, if you did XYZ you wouldnt have lost your settings", but every time I have an issue, this or otherwise, it's not "how do I fix it", it's "How do I give myself a refresher on docker, and try to fix it through the lens of someone who doesn't really know how he set up the container, just that he copy-pasted some lines months ago")

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 18, 2023

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Does anyone have any good sources for Home Assistant dashboard design inspirations? I don’t have the most robust integration with stuff but right now I just have a few buttons, and I see people every so often having real neat dashboards. And some I think “oh, of course, that would be cool to see/track!”

I downloaded the Mushroom pack as well, and that makes it a little cleaner but not as ~Fancy~ as some I’ve seen